January 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/23/09

Want to share your thoughts on tonight's headlines? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Financial expert Suze Orman will be joining Anderson and Erica tonight to answer your questions. Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Patty

I think we are almost back to where we put our "money" in our mattresses....

Sad But I dont trust any of them anymore!! Thye have blown whatever trust I did have in last few weeks with all this stuff coming out about how they handle our money the first time....do we really waqnt to give them more!!!!

January 23, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Thomas Ray

Mr. Obama has no business spending more american taxpayer money to go to abortions and making it one of his top priorities. He did this behind closed doors and it's going to come back to bite him.

January 23, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Mari in NW Indiana

Hi David Gergen........regarding your post, I think Obama's first week went better than well.....but to tell you honestly, he has so much on his plate that I wouldn't know where to start.......and it's so refreshing to have someone smarter than Gomer Pyle in the Whitehouse!!! :o)

4. danny

i think obama needs a chance to do what he can to get things going it will take time he is at least doing something

5. Maureen, Georgia

The rebublicans are already trying to block everything he does, I think Pres. Obama had to remind them he won and he just needs their co-operation to get the country back on track. Most of America is behind him and he already has started out by carrying out his campaign promises.

6. Loretta

Susie, should I withdraw my funds from Merrill Lynch? I lost a third of my funds in the last quarter with them, and I'scared. Also, I'm very angry about the bonuses given to their exceutives.

7. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

As a New Yorker, I have to admit that I was completely blown away by Paterson's choice to replace Senator (now Secretary of State) Clinton. I really don't know much about her, so I'll reserve my judgements.

8. Sue

Suzie, I work for Bank of America and have lost 1/2 of my 401k because I had it in mostly bank stock. I am 50 and will probably have to work 10 more years? Do you think I will have enough time to make it up??

9. Denise

Suzie

I am no longer with employer of 17 yrs. .. my 401K keeps loosing $$$....what should I do with it? I have lots of credit card debt ... I have rented my home ...so that is safe for now. I am still unemployed.

Denise

10. Terri

Question for suze..
    i am 50 years old, one year ago my 401K had 65K and today is now down to 39K. i have thought about taking it out and putting it in a CD until the market returns, even with the withdraw penalties i might come out ahead. what do you think?

11. Luis Santiago

As a flight attendant for an airline that took paycuts twice during bankruptcy proceedings, lost my pension plan, have to pay for my own benefits and work more hours for less money, our managers got to keep their "golden parachutes". Later, after bankruptcy proceedings where completed, we find out that the airline managers lied to us. When I see stories like the Meryl Lynch, the jet-issues with the automakers and many more, I get very upset and feel like my blood is boiling! The people need to raise and stop this injustices!

12. Jeff

I am paying into an IRA at $250 a month. This is $3000 per year. I recently got my year end statement and lost $700 in total since the year before. This means I lost $3700. Should I continue to pay into this or cut back to something like $50 per month? Advice greatly appreciated!

13. kris

handled badly is an understatent, of the kennedy situation

14. EJ (USA)

I’m 30, have 22,000 in credit card debt and 92,000 in educational debt. I have worked all my credit card debts down to an average of 4.75 % interest and am making payments amounting to $600 a month. My educational debt comes out of a prolonged deferment/forebearance in 60 days and can no longer be deferred. The educational payments will nearly match the $600 credit payments. I’m out of options and think I’ll have to default on all the unsecured credit debt to pay the educational. What should I do?

You never need to default on student loans. You can get deferments up to 10 years (and probably more). Unemployment, economic hardship, disability – and general forbearances. If these are federal loans (which I'm assuming) they will work with you a lot so you don't have to default. Get a forbearance.

15. Bea

Hello all. Obama has the qualities Bush bragged about. He is wiling to make hte hard decisions. Guantanmo is a hard decisions. So Repubs should be happy,.

January 23, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Nicole

Hi, this is for Suze:

We are about $300K down on our home, have lost 25% in our 401K and 529s. We have triplet 17 month olds and do not have the extra cash to buy low/save in this market.

We have excellent, stable jobs in healthcare, but are unsure where to move, or if we should move, the remainder of our money into something less risky. We are 39 and 43 years of age. Any ideas?

Nicole

January 23, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  17. dee

give me the commode its worth more than my house. ...be for real

January 23, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  18. Mike-Omaha

AC,

You need to clarify the "commode" comment in your last story. I believe it was $15,000 not $30,000 and explain that the commode is not a toilet that the general public thinks, but rather a desk or credenza type piece of furniture with 4 legs. I don't agree with the Merril Lynch remodel, however you need to be accurate. Can you report on the remodel of gov't offices in Washington, especially in the White House and the cost of those remodels?

thanks

Mike

January 23, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  19. Roberto Torricella

Have the Merrill Lynch CEO refund the bonus and pay back the $1.2MM for all the furniture and redecorating of his office. This is an insult and an offense to the american public. If he does not return it, he should be locked up until he does.

January 23, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  20. marilyn

Suze, i have a fixed annunity with ING. it matures april 23, 2009.
    I want to know it it is safe until it matures?

January 23, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  21. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Happy Friday.
    It looks like politics as usual as the week ends, though Obama is
    quickly making progress.
    –I hope you get some much-deserved rest over the weekend.

January 23, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  22. Denise

Anderson, I saw a piece earlier that said part of the big stimulus plan was to buy cars for federal employees AND independent of that we gave billions of dollars to the big three auto makes doesn't that mean that I, as a tax payer bought the same car twice, at full price?!

January 23, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  23. kris

sarah palin is trying to stay in the limelight a little longer i believe

24. shayne bilbrey

Hello fellow blogers im ready to talk hey anderson and yes im so ready for this week to end to!

25. Job

Anderson,

Isn't Gov. Paterson's appointment of Rep. Gillibrand as junior senator of NY a big slap in the face of President Obama's plans for comprehensive immigration reform? Gillibrand is fiercely anti-immigration and has voted against previous comprehensive immigration bills.

To Suzie Orman,

Is there any plan that allows one to modify their ALT mortgage loans two years before the monthly payments get a skyrocket readjustment? My monthly payments will double to $ 5,470 (from $ 2, 590) in January 2011. My annual income is 95,000 and I have been told
    i can't modify until i fall behind in payments/default.

26. alex

27. John, Chicago

With home prices still dropping, am I right that now could be an opportunity for those of us with a lot of equity in our homes to buy a nicer house?

28. Minou, New York City

" I won" sure sounds like a tongue-in-cheek comment to me..let's not take it so seriously!

29. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

Why were the Wall Street cronies taken care off this is why i'm putting my money under my matress no interest charges !

30. Dean

Hello Suzie,
    I have about $10,000 in an annuity that I want to get into a personal account. Do You suggest a 401k (with the chance of losing some of it in the future) or something like a IRA CD?
    I dont need the money right now so what would be best for me?

I am married with 2 small children.
    Thanks!

31. MaryBeth

I can't believe the GOP wants even deeper tax cuts. We have to have money somehow..they want the people paying less to the govt and then the govt not spending money. How in the world are we supposed to do anything if we don't spend money raised by taxes?

32. Maurice

Just Give me $700 Billion!!!!...........fa la la

33. Mary

Suze,
    If your employer does not offer a match or profit sharing with their 401K plan, should you contribute during the current year or pay down your mortgage with additional payments. I have no credit card debt and my mortgage rate is 5% fixed.
    Mary

34. Donna

Would it be possible for the government to mandate a 'flat' mortgage rate for those of us that are not in foreclosure – yet – but payments are becoming impossible to make at our current interest rate?

Also does the unemployment numbers only include those currently claiming benefits. I am unemployed but my benefits ended months ago.

35. Ken in NC

@ David Gergen,
    David it has, for the most part, a good week for President Obama but he has yet to do much to address the economy and thet is what the nation is holding it's breath for right now. With details coming out talking about part of the stimulis package not even being available for 24 months many of us that were not really for the bailout are really against it now. My thoughts on the tax breaks for big business are that it sucks too. Why give a big tax break to a company that cannot hire an employee when the company has no orders that will require the company to hire people. Give the break to the people so they can spend thereby causing the companies to have to reorder and therefore produce.

36. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

@Patty
    California *used* to be the 7th largest economy... in the world. I suspect that's not true now, though.

37. LYNN

Our entire retirement fund is wrapped up in over 4,500 shares of Bank of America stock we have bought over the last 28 years of our marriage-(who thought a bank paying a great dividend over the past 28 years would go out of business????)

!. How can we join the lawsuit you just mentioned?

2. What would happend to us if the bank was nationalized?

38. Rose

Publishers determine what Sarah Palin's "maverick" story is worth, not the other way around as you stated.

39. Aren Foster Trinidad

first of all excellent show Anderson.i think obama started off the week on a high note and ending it on one too.im a big obama fan, imo the new grass for the mall is a waste .

40. jacqueline, ny

Ditto, Donna Montreal.

41. Bridget

David,
    This has been a wonderful week from the inauguration to President Obama following up on some of his promises. We all knew that P. Obama was walking into problems of mass proportion and are going to get much, much worse before they get better. I'm prepared to ride out the storm because I know it's going to get better. If nothing else, for the first time in years, I believe the person in charge, cares and wants what is best for all of us. Will he make mistakes, yes, but at least he's going to try.

42. Alex

Hi Suzie – My current mortgage 650K, 25 yrs @ 5.75% fixed – pay out is 4089, I only paid 10 month . – Now I got an excellent rate 4.62/15Yrs , will cost me extra 900 per month , but will finish the mortagage in 15 year , and the number says about 300K savings in interest. very attractive move. I am considering to use some of my 401k contribution (which is currently being maxed out) to bring the interest down and save (which is guaranteed) – any catch ?

43. Joel Homewood, IL

Evening Anderson, I can't wait till Monday to see how much more of a fool our wonderful Governor is going to is going to end up making out of himself. I couldn't believe today when I saw his press conference (if you can call it that) He has made such a mess of Illinois that it is hard to do anything in the state anymore.

44. Tosha

I agree that the government should not have stepped in. They have spent the first half of the TARP money like we have plenty to give away. I am seriously considering changing banks due to all the problems that B of A is self inflicting upon itself.

45. Naissa, South Texas

Geez, those men were really hounding him. Get em' Barack!

46. Susana

Question for Suze: Everyone talks about how people in their 30's & 40's may have to wait 10 years for their 401Ks to regain their value. What should someone in her early 60's, like myself, do now? My savings are diminishing daily.

47. Luke

I think John Thain, who by the way looks a bit like Waldo, and the entire board who approved the Bonus's at Merrill should be sent to Gitmo with the rest of the people that pose a great risk to our welfare and safety.

Taking all of the Bail out Money and putting into carpets and crappers is just as bad as flinging a few missles over a wall.

48. el drame

Obama is proactive and that is what we need in nowadays!!!

49. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Minou – it's spanish for 'nap.'

Good evening Gergen! I'm quite excited for your opinions, as always. And I love the blog.

I think President Obama is diving in with both feet, which is a great thing. I'm just worried about him getting exhausted too soon.

January 23, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  50. kris

obama was being a little testy, wasnt he?

January 23, 2009 at 10:11 pm |