January 23rd, 2009

Dear President Obama #4: About that BlackBerry...

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/01/22/obama.blackberry/art.obamabb.gi.jpg]

Reporter's Note: The President has asked the public for ideas; thus, my continuing series of letters to the White House.

Tom Foreman | Bio
AC360° Correspondent

Dear Mr. President,

How is it going? I started to call you and chat, but then I noticed that story about your Blackberry issues, and figured I’ll just wait until it is all sorted out. Looks like you’re pretty busy anyway, and frankly so am I.

Covering your first hundred days in office already has me exhausted, and we’re just getting started! We go through this with every new president. They run, they win, they get inaugurated; then everyone wants to see what they’ll actually do. You know the drill.

That said, I am curious about how you will fare as the rubber hits the road. Everyone in the office is talking about it.

Your new White House website lays out your agenda quite clearly. (And I digress just a tad here to say your site is much techier and cooler than President Bush’s. No kidding. Who is running that for you?) Anyway, for all those plans, you know as well as anyone that you’re going to need Congress to get on board to make a lot of it work.

And if the past few years are any indication, let me tell you that can be tough. There are some good people on the hill, (some bad ones, too; it goes without saying) but I just want to let you know the biggest caution around the water cooler: Watch out for trouble on both sides of that aisle.

Plenty of Republicans are going to oppose you. Maybe you saw the item about Rush Limbaugh saying he hopes you fail? That’s no surprise. But keep an eye on your fellow Democrats, too. I’ve noticed some of them popping up in the headlines taking some not so subtle pokes at your plans.

I know, I know: They’re your friends, so please don’t take offense. I’m sure they’ll help you plenty, as long as your approval rating is high. But they can turn on you like a pack of Junior High Cheerleaders if your popularity falls.

Enough said. Good luck with the Blackberry thing. Looks pretty cool, what I’ve seen of it. Call if you get a minute. I’ll understand if you have to go.

Regards,

Tom

Editor's Note: Read more of the Foreman Letters here.

1. jameslow

Its great to see the President gets on his job in the first few days of his presidency. He has put actions on the things he promised to do. The results and implementation of these actions will be the prove of the support the President is getting. Good luck to you with the rest of the hundreds days tracking the President's popularity . Counting on You!!

January 25, 2009 at 3:40 am |
  2. Cassandra White

As a single mother (African American) raising three sons. The oldest in college, the middle one, a Junior in high school, and the youngest one in middle school. My focus has been on them. I don't feel as if I have to explain myself to noone. Michelle Obama does not have to explain herself to anyone. I love the fact that she has not let her role as a mother, be influenced by the media. She does not succumb to the pressure of media-focused issues. Get this CNN: One of the traits of a strong African-American woman raising children is, "We don't give a hoot what anybody says about us." Michelle's focus is, and always will be "her girls", and all the media will get is speculation. Michelle has no point to prove about being a mother, she already knows she is an awesome mother, and she does not need validation from a News station,.

January 24, 2009 at 12:03 am |
  3. joe bishop

It infuriates me that when i need customer service for something i get a person in a foreign country that can hardly speak english. Mr president you should ask americah companies to bring these jobs back to this country and you should make any company that has employees in a foreign country doing a job that can be done here pay the social security and medicare taxes as though the employee is in this country. If this is not forwarded to the president please let me know how i can get it to him.

January 23, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  4. Karen Bradshaw

Great letter! I echo your sentiments exactly!

January 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Calonie J

Dear Mr. President Obama:
    If you ever read Mr. Foreman's letters, take notice of the endearing way his words convey support. Because whether people like/agree with you or not, just like anyone determined to do better due to encouragement, we need to support our President to continue this mindset. No, not agree with everything, but help you gain strength and perhaps that my influence you to look at certain issues differently. In all that you do – ALL – do the best you can with God on your mind. He will guide you in the way things should go if you only listen...oh, and Mr. President, make at least some kind of time to sleep and laugh no matter how deep the work gets. That'll keep you human. Thanks for being our President!

January 23, 2009 at 7:29 pm |
  6. Roberta

Dear President Obama,
    Firstly Congratulations on becoming President of the United States. Although I am not an American citizen, I think if you and your family ever visit Canada to meet the Prime Minister of Canada, Stephen Harper . You might enjoy visiting Chatham, Ontario (where I live) to visit the exhibit at the WISH Center depicting the History of the Underground Railroad and how it pertains to the Black History of the area in which i live. It has given me great enjoyment knowing how Canada helped all people to be free. Mrs. Roberta Hickmott
    Chatham, Ontario CANADA

January 23, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  7. Kathleen Scott

Dear Mr President,

You have lifted the world not just United States . Even here in Canada we are in awe and so very proud to have you speak to all nations and countries. The approach of a hand first can only bring good and future healing for all,
    They say your tasks ahead are huge, and it will take time, " those bills and issues that you need to address or pass will come very easily , "

Already in a few short campaigning months you have turned the world around, and every day is like Christmas " we stop to hold the door for someone else and smile, and the world is a better place , because you said "Yes We Can"

Thankyou, Kathleen

Thankyou

January 23, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  8. Vanessa, El Paso,TX

I seriously LOVE your letters, Tom! Sounds like, well.. YOU! I understand his addiction to the blackberry, but I, myself, am an iPhone kinda gal. Features are somewhat better, but to each it's own. So are you in the "small" circle of friends the Pres. has in his blackberry? Maybe so, but are you in his TOP 8 on his myspace page?! We all know that's what REALLY counts. There's nothing like being on his "small" circle list & not being on his TOP 8. That's just wrong! LOL ...Please continue w/ your letters, they are a thrill to read everyday...who knows..maybe he logs on ac360.com everyday from his blackberry and ACTUALLY reads them...ever think about that?! lol

January 23, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  9. Heather,ca

Love the letter. As happy as I am that Pres Obama found a way to keep his smart phone , I like many wonder how he will be able to manage the urge and how being president and all the meetings he has will go when you suffer from being a addict. I know for the average CrackBerry addict like myself you start out loving it to having a full addiction . Forget about actually talking to your spouse who is upstairs when you can email them or text them on your BlackBerry. Going out to eat,why bother socializing at the table,Id rather check my email,send an email and read the news. Ill be done before our food arrives. Though I think he would as President have the best medical coverage when it comes to BlackBerry thumb. As much as its a great thing for him to have it, I hope remembers that being President often involves good old fashioned technology like talking and writing.

January 23, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  10. Charlotte D

True words Tom. However, I would have said "they will turn on you like junk yard dogs" rather than junior high cheerleaders. Hmm, junior high cheerleaders might be more vicious than pre teen girls. Next time you write the Prez, would you please pass a suggestion I have for him after seeing the clip of Rush on the Daily Show? Please have him text Rosie and request that she get on the radio waves as a point counter point to Rush, Bill, Hannity, Coulter, etc. I personally am not a fan of Rosie, but I think she could take them all on and perhaps provide a distraction long enough to give the new administration a chance. And her voice would be quite effective on the radio. Thank you in advance.

January 23, 2009 at 11:02 am |