January 22nd, 2009

No-jacket Obama

An official White House photo Wednesday shows U.S. President Barack Obama in the Oval Office with no jacket, something strictly forbidden by his predecessor.

In eight years of official Oval Office photos of former President George W. Bush, not one can be found of him without a suit jacket on, CNN reported.

1. Honor Johnson

That is all that is left after, the Bush Family, Wall street and the Banks, have stolen all the money off of our backs.

January 22, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  2. Rekha AC

Dear President Obama,

You look very cool in the Oval Office. I like the sun-dappled windows in the background and the beautiful trees that look into the Oval office. You look calm and serene in that white shirt and blue tie. Would a suit really matter? In my opinion it doesn't. I wish you all the best in your endeavors, and don't work too hard. May God always be with you and your family. I am sure Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King Jr. are watching over you. My prayers are with you.

January 22, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  3. Gayle

I work for a company with a formal dress code that requires jackets but in my office, I take it off as it makes it less cumbersome for me to get down to business. I see his no-jacket style as that – someone who really wants to "roll up their sleeves" and get down to business, create results.

January 22, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  4. Viktor SM

Traditions were to be broken. So I believe why stop now. whit a New President who broke tradition.

CUDAHY, CA

January 22, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  5. Amanda Walton--Ontario Canada

Good to hear, means he's able to roll up his sleeves and get down to business...

January 22, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  6. maria reza

I think its ok for him to be without a jacket that shows he is working hard to get the job done we all love him here in kankakee,illinois

January 22, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  7. Rich

Obama is ready to roll up his sleeves and work.

Bush only worried about how he looked. "Mission Accomplished" anyone? - the ultimate staged photo-op gone wrong.

January 22, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  8. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

Not wearing a jacket while WORKING, is common practice in EVERY OFFICE in our Nation! My goodness.

@ JEANETTE...... IF BUSH REALLY wanted to RESPECT the Office of the President of the United States he would have NEVER LIED, NEVER thrown our Nation's Constitution out, NEVER authorized TORTURE!

RESPECT for the Highest Office in our Nation, is not about what you wear, but WHOM LEADS and what HIS VALUES ARE.

January 22, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  9. missy

I like the tone he is setting. Just do it. Roll up your sleeves. He isn't above anyone else and seems willing to get in there and work.

January 22, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  10. JC- Los Angeles

While former President Bush painstakingly proved time and again that the clothes do not make the man, here's hoping President Obama is willing to give the coat off his back for the collective good of America.

January 22, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  11. Cyndi

This sends a message from the new administration:

Roll up your sleeves, proudly let them be shown
    It's not about suits and false promises foregone
    A new day has dawned
    Tasks greatly at hand
    For the man before is leading a stand
    No time awasted on granduer or pomp
    He's simply one of us; he's Barack Obama!

January 22, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  12. Gene Penszynski from Vermont

As for President Obama he is one hard working guy and has already begun to change this nation for the better after having been in office only two days !!!!!!!

You know as bad a Jimmy Carter was as a President at least he had some redeeming qualities and he was truly a spiritual man and actually demonstrated this in his works with Habitat for Humanity.
    The best G W Bush could do was to throw a couple of bucks (relatively speaking) at the World Aids epidemic. I wonder if we will ever see ole G W with his jacket off and sleves rolled up actually doing something CONTRUCTIVE for America and not just for some idiotic photo op. He certainly hasn't shown that he genuinely cares about anything except pleasing his dogmatic inner circle over the past eight years. The American people were simply left high and dry to shift for themselves.

January 22, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  13. Andrea

Bravo ! My hat is off to President Obama. He knows he has a lot of work to do! He might as well be comfortable doing it. Love the New Change!

January 22, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  14. Starla/Seal Beach

Bush 43 left a confidential letter in the top drawer for Obama. Maybe it said “my greatest regret was not losing the jacket in the Oval Office, had I done so I could of rolled up my sleeves and taken this Country somewhere great.” Scribbled on the letter would be three OOO’s. Standing for Obama Oval Office.

January 22, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  15. Gene Penszynski from Vermont

Sorry Cindy but the wrongs that G W Bush commited deserve a courtroom trial. In the absence of that he more than deserves to be dumped on. Thats the least we ,as Patriotic Americans, can do for this self centered moron.

January 22, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  16. Asya

A jacket in the Oval office doesnt make a good President and Bush is the prove.

January 22, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  17. Teresa, OH

Well, in Bush's case: clothes DONT make the man.

Slow news day? I wonder what temperature the White House is heated to?

January 22, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  18. Charlotte D

Great news to me. Now when anyone from California visits the President in the Oval Office they will be more comfortable. I hope the President starts wearing shirts in colors other than white and blue and a sharp check or stripe would be nice as well to mix things up. And how about a tie in a color other than blue or red? This is very refreshing to have the fashionista scrutiny beam focused on a male and not a female for a change. I did miss the breaking news report, however, that Hillary wore a dress to her swearing in rather than a pants suit. You guys missed that one.

Comfortable Charlotte
    Stockton CALIFORNIA

January 22, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  19. Juanita

President Obama, Do your thing, I don't care rather you have a jacket on or off as long as you get the job done...I support you Mr. President and more than that I respect, trust, and believe in you...So you go jacketless if you like......whatever attire you may select to wear is fine with me as long as you get us out of this hole that we find ourselves in...yes, I understand this is a long hard battle to fight but I hope and pray that you know, we the American people support you and are willing to do what we can to help you get us through.

January 22, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  20. Dee, New York

It's easier to roll up your sleeves without a suit jacket on.

January 22, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  21. salathia scott

He's a hard worker. He doesn't need a suit jacket on to make people think he's taking care of business ... Everyone KNOWS he is taking care of business.

January 22, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  22. Bob Edwards, Charlotte, NC

Right...yeah. No really George, did you take my Jacket?

January 22, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  23. Jeanette

President Bush is a class act and that was his way of showing respect for the Oval office. Perhaps President Obama doesn't respect the office in the same way he did. People show respect in different ways.

January 22, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  24. jeff

he looks great without a jacket on ,unformal and that s all about transparancy...

January 22, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  25. Joanne, Solvay, NY

Yes, and no one could update a computer either.

January 22, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  26. Lois, NY

Yeah, they all had on jackets because everyone wore a wire!

January 22, 2009 at 12:05 pm |
  27. jay

As long as he is working to change our country for the better, i could care less what he is wearing.

January 22, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  28. Cindy

So what if Obama doesn't have a jacket on and Bush always wanted to be seen with one? Different strokes for different folks! Stop trying to make it a big deal! And stop trying to down Bush. It's getting old!

Cindy..Ga.

January 22, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  29. Antoine

Ahhh. A picture of him sitting at the desk in the oval office.

January 22, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  30. nik

is this a bad thing?

January 22, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  31. Colleen Connery

Honestly...who cares whether he's wearing a jacket or not? He's wearing a tie, and still looks professional. If he was wearing shorts and a tshirt, I'd have issues. George Bush seemed to have concerned himself with all the wrong things.

January 22, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  32. Heather,ca

Different generation and different life experiences and backgrounds. I completely understand Former President Bush demanding formality in the White House. He was the Gov of Texas. He was a professional politician. He viewed the office as running the business of the country. I do respect that even though I didnt vote for him. I think Pres Obama will find his place. Its an institution and he is young and there is much for him on his plate. I know CNN often uses the phrase a picture often worth a thousand words or something like that. Perhaps we are reading way much into it. I say give him a break. I wouldnt read to much into it. Its one thing running for the office its another thing being in the office.

January 22, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  33. missy

I love this man.

January 22, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  34. Jeff Kyser

good grief, my hat's off to him for that, and my coat and tie too!

January 22, 2009 at 11:47 am |