January 22nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/22/09

Want to share your thoughts on tonight's show? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Brandi - bottom of the boot

Mr Gergen,

i think just the fresh new vibrancy of the new first family is uplifting for many people.

i have never seen this much excitement in my lifetime for the first family. its amazing.

January 22, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  2. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA!!

Of course there are priorities for the Obama administration but directing all attention on one issue at a time is simply myopic, and certainly not impressive. There are plenty of advisors and "experts" to carry the load of multi-tasking.

January 22, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Betty Ann, Nacgdoches,TX

Hi David Gergen! I love the way you talk. You sound just like a professor! Oh, yeah~ Anyway, you are right on! Thanks! XO

January 22, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  4. Lori from IL

Casey J - That will be an easy test for me - that's the way I like my burger, too.

January 22, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  5. Glen Up North

Donna: I agree with your view of the President. We should be so lucky with our Prime Minister here in Canada! 🙂

January 22, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Merlin

Obama is an elegant man.
    The more time goes by, the more distinguished he becomes.

January 22, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  7. EJ (USA)

I think maybe I should go out and get an issue of TIME and People magazine and then also pick up a couple of cheeseburgers. I might just do that.

January 22, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I like how you say "private moments" then whip out the photos... 🙂

January 22, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  9. Jana, Indiana

Good night Anderson and all bloggers. Have a great Friday.

Good show tonight.

January 22, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  10. Jaelle

Great show tonight. So many interesting angles to take. As usual I enjoy the panel discussions and it was great to hear David Gergen's insight on Obama's recent picks to his team.

January 22, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Kathy, Chicago

AC, it would be nice to be on a plane that left on time, let alone have food and entertainment!

January 22, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Lauren

its good to know that the president is not a robot... change has come!

January 22, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  13. dominic

while the government seeks to create jobs to help turn the economy around, why doesn't it look into regulating, if not altogether eliminating, outsourcing, which robs the nation of millions of jobs? people from india, the philippines, and china, among others, are benefitting from America's practice of sending jobs abroad, at the expense of the American people.

January 22, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gary Tuchman was doing great job at Youth's Ball. I love his tux!!!!

January 22, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  15. mark

Im recessions layoffs and cut backs are normal, but this time the scarry part is, that more plants are closing. Those are usualy high paying jobs that are not coming back.

January 22, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  16. David Gergen

Hello again - many thanks for your responses tonight. It appears that most of you believe that President Obama's early moves - while not in the economic area - are increasing your confidence in him and that over time may help to bolster the economy itself. One person is unsure; a couple believe he isn't doing enough or doesn't have the right answers on the economy. Let's continue the debate as we go.

In the meantime, it was also great tonight to hear from several viewers from Canada expressing enthusiasm about the direction the U.S. is now taking.

January 22, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Milexy, Brandon, FL

Erica- why do they have to lay the people off? why not just even up the pay rate across the board for a period? laying off is hurting us and the government has to spend more.

January 22, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  18. Clarence Albuquerque

I loved that shot of the look a like of Obama...Mirror Mirror... Oh that's the other story.

January 22, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  19. EJ (USA)

I have a craving for something with high fat and cholesterol.

January 22, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Minou, New York City

Megan Dresslar: amazing plane, indeed!

January 22, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  21. Jim Southeasten ohio

Its time to help out the little guy. We are just making ends meet and each
    month it gets a little harder . Were is all this bailout money going ,seems to me the American people needs to know were and how it is being spent.
    I sure could use a bailout or just a million would do,I could live the rest of my life on what these CEO's get for bonuses in one year.

January 22, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Donna Montreal

I just think it's cool that the President of the United States sounds like a normal guy. Makes you feel that he can relate to everyday people.

January 22, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  23. Rikki, Fargo, ND

See I think is part of the reason that so many people like President Obama...he is very down to Earth and simple in a way...That was an awesome piece Randi!

I want my own personal chefs!

January 22, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  24. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Thanks for the heads up on the National Geograpic documentary on Air Force One. Looks like something I'd want to watch.

January 22, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  25. Don, WA

Oh no...now president Obama, at every take-off on board Air Force One, is going to instruct the pilot..."Put the spurs too her Chuck."

January 22, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  26. Kevin in Calgary

Its with a fair amount of envy we view the excitement in Wasington this week. Sadly, as our parliament reconvenes next week, we expect more self serving tripe from our politicians. Hopefully, some inspiration drifts north.

January 22, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  27. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA!!

OK, so President Obama lilkes his burger medium well with cheddar cheese. Everyone take notes...there will be a test later.

January 22, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Mike, Syracuse NY

@CaseyJ. Multitaksing only works to a point. He's new, his team is new, and many aren't even in place yet. You run the risk of tackling too much at once and doing a porr job at everything. In the ER they do triage and treat the most serious patients first. The economy is our most serious patient. Even an experienced team prioritizes problems.

January 22, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  29. James

1st Anderson introduces the topic "What is life like on Airforce One" that was followed by the video clip of the Hudson river aircraft – great timing!

January 22, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!!! That is amazing plane one force! I hope Obama enjoy ride his plane!!!!! That is so neat!!!! I think that is first time for Obama.

January 22, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  31. Joette

David G. – Yes it just feels right to have President Obama finally in the White House. I have great trust in his ability to lead and communicate to the American public all aspects of the agenda. President Obama is engaging everyone, we have not had that for quite some time.

January 22, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  32. David, Indiana

A rousing welcome for Secy. Clinton at the State Dept. I feel she'll have no trouble handling strong personalities. But yes that is something to work on. She is close with Amb.Holbrooke and Sen Mitchell, though, I had that thought today too, as David Gergen says.

I bet that was on beautiful office for John Thane

Erica, I get that sense that your views are, while being bluntly honest often, kind, thoughtful.

January 22, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  33. Vanessa, El Paso,TX

you know who i figured he should have gotten as pilot for AF1 is Capt Sully I would like him to be at least co-pilot

January 22, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  34. Betty Ann, Nacgdoches,TX

Hi Erica~ One thing for sure, Obama has his plate full. I can only hope that he can stop the avalanche.

January 22, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  35. Bea

I don't want bailouts for anybody without strings attached. Anderson, Obama's private jet is almost as big as yours.

January 22, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  36. Clarence Albuquerque

What I like about the show is that we can be viewing the most tragic of situations and then given the more lighthearted human interest stories. Yeah... down to earth,,, even in a plane.

January 22, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  37. Caitlin - NY

David Gergen,

First of all, I just want to tell you that I love and appreciate your thoughts and contribution to the show. I am 24 years old, and I NEVER would have thought I'd be blogging on CNN, but here I am. To answer your question, I truly don't believe Obama has made me feel less confident or more confident in the economy's future. As a young person, starting my career as a teacher, it's scary out there! However, the fact that since November, across the nation, a "vibe" of renewal is felt, makes me feel that a positive outcome will eventually happen, call me naive :). -Caitlin

January 22, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  38. jane

David: I was surprised by the tone of the Gibson meets the press conference today. I am encouraged by Obama taking action right away. but I don't think he should be bullied by the press by the third day he is in office. The press needs to do their part in helping our country get back on its feet. Tearing down a three day old president does not set well with me.

January 22, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  39. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Erica, I agree, Gary is the best!

January 22, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  40. Elyse

Anderson:
    It was so funny! A few moments back, you said you were going to show Air Force One, but the camera showed an image of the flight in the Hudson River! Obviously a mistake–but very funny!

January 22, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  41. Michael

let's remember that ANY program that the government initiates will need bureaucrats to monitor it... that means more tax dollars

January 22, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  42. ericacnn

Corey, layoffs are not generally a move made to help the economy, but rather to help the company.

In many sectors, there are not only rising costs to deal with, many associated with employee head count (think benefits), but also – esp in retail and service industries – significant declines in sales and demand. One way to keep businesses going is to reduce overhead and to be smart about the way they spend, and that can mean consolidation (be it stores, manufacturing plants...) and, in turn, downsizing.

It is a nasty cycle, one which likely will get worse before it gets better. Th economists I have spoken with also tell me, however, this could put the economy on a better track. To be blunt: the kick in the pants we needed. But, man, this is a sharp, swift kick...

January 22, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  43. kim-chicago

David,
    In response to your question, I think Obama is up to the task. The problem is that not only does he have a full plate...but every plate in the kitchen is full.

I guess the only way to deal with all of this is to just take it one day at a time, with a number of competent people dealing with one issue at a time.

January 22, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  44. Harriet

hello Anderson , I think the news people create more trouble by
    trying to keep up with the other stations, maybe thats why Caroline Kennedy stepped out.

January 22, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  45. Corey W. Indiana

It never ceases to amaze to find out that complete morons are running large companies. Someone like myself with a great head on their shoulders knows good and well that you don't go spending 80k on a rug, 25k on curtains in a time like this..or EVER!

January 22, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  46. Stacy

So, does Gary know what a "shorty" is?

January 22, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  47. Tom of Philly

top down or bottom up? we just learned that corporate welfare is no more effective than welfare for the poor in ending the problem. how bout only cutting corporate taxes for companies whose employess are domestic and get benefits. slasing the corporate rate 'aint' gonna make corporate america spontaneously pay for healthcare, stop exporting jobs, or put fairness in the pay structure, dont be fooled by the lies perpetuated by those with corporate interests. how bout a graded tax stucture want to pay mr ceo a billion and workers minimum wage with no healthcar? 40% tax ... fair pay and benefits for all 25% let the shareholders decide

January 22, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That was funny. Anderson is talking about Obama’s first trip on Air Force 1 and the picture is of the US Air plane floating down the Hudson. Ooops!

LOL!!!! CaseyJ in CA
    Very funny!!!! that is good joke!!! I am so laughing!!!

January 22, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  49. Sherrol in Canada

I still can't get over Kanye's 'hairdo', it looks awful. That's a 'hair-don't', in my opinion.

January 22, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  50. Glen Up North

Robert – what do you think of renegotiating mortgages while foreseeing the possibility that the value of the house may drop even _more_? I don't see many people buying homes in the near future, so perhaps a house that was worth $500k when the mortgage was negociated (but is only worth $400k today) should be renegociated for $300k? That way, if people actually were able to (and wanted to) sell their house, they could still make a profit on it... theoretically.

January 22, 2009 at 10:41 pm |