January 22nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/22/09

Want to share your thoughts on tonight's show? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA!!

"He (President Obama) should be working the economy 24/7"

I disagree. That would be myopic and not bright. Foreign relations and the perception the world has of us affects our economy. We have to build our relationships and instill confidence in all of our trading partners.

January 22, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Kassie Wright

Robert Chatmon,

I can't say as I agree or disagree with your comment. The only way it would work is if everybody paid off their horrendous amounts of debt, and tried to abolish most of the public dependency on credit cards.

January 22, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  3. setter

Please explain how anyone can tax the rich without the rich passing the tax back to the poor and middle class. Tax a lawyer or doctor and see who actually pays the tax.

January 22, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  4. Chester Diaz

The world is watching about Obama's economic reforms in U.S. President Obama must stop the recession and retrenching jobs of the Americans which was inherited by former President Bush. I believe Obama will create more jobs for more than 2 years.

January 22, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  5. John Mason

Pay everyones rent/house-note for three months and reset the ecomony. Give them the money back only after they have paid their bill.

January 22, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Lori from IL

I know that the economy is news and must be reported, but I must say that the constant barrage of news about how bad the economy is, does not help instill consumer confidence. I'm still operating under my new year's resolution of being more hopeful. I'm looking to President Obama for direction, but think we all must answer the call to do what we can to help.

January 22, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  7. Minou, New York City

What? I should become someone's driver!

January 22, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  8. Rikki, Fargo, ND

$1 million to redecorate his office? That is absolutely ridiculous!

January 22, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  9. mark

Instead of just giving the people money, the government could give it as a credit, only to be used to pay down loans or mortgages, or on made in USA products. That would help bail us out.

January 22, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  10. Betty Ann, Nacgdoches,TX

That plane landing still just amazes me! Yowza!

January 22, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  11. beth toronto

Anderson, I agree its all about the economy. I suspect it will get meaningfully worse before it gets better and that it will also take longer than people expect. It has to be the priority and if Geithner is the right person (qualification) to address the issue, he should be appointed asap!

January 22, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  12. Navid

President Obama stated it best in his inaug. speech stating our foreign adversaries should realize that our accomplishments are measured by our ability to build our nation and not by blowing it up. Will we see the day that our world will come to this realization?

January 22, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  13. Michael

I am not sure that hillary while be a decisive Sec. of State... however, Obama will probably pull all the strings and tell her exactly what to do

January 22, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  14. Sherrol in Canada

My brother and sister live in New York and they have told me that they find Pres. Obama inspiring and they feel confident that given time, he will fix the economy.

January 22, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  15. Antoinette - NY

Hello Anderson!

When I think of the problems with our economic crisis, 1 word comes to mind...greed! Where is the accountability? Where is the transparency? The banks are a complete mess and it all stems from greed.

January 22, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't know that the president can designate any one issue as #1, but if the economy goes under it will affect everything else.

January 22, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  17. Don, WA

A slogan I'd like to see by our president is...."Made In America."

January 22, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  18. Robert Chatmon

If President Obama wants to solve the financial problems that the Country is facing. Give those people who make less than $100, 000.00, one milliion dollar. This will in turn boost the economy because people will spend their money paying off their homes, cars, as well as buying new homes and new cars.

January 22, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Candace from Canada

Good Evening Anderson,Erica & Bloggers!

I am joining a bit late tonight, did I miss anything?

*lol*
    Just joking!

What a day!
    🙂

January 22, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  20. Kathy, Chicago

It's time to get tough. I hope all in the State Dept work well together and help the US to move forward. It's time to fix the last several years.

January 22, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  21. Glen Up North

David Gergen,

Being a Canadian, what is instilling faith in my regarding Obama is the fact he seems to be working quickly to reestablish goodwill with other countries. In this time of global economies and trade partnerships, this is of utmost importance if we want our neighbors to work with us. Previous presidents (not naming names) seemed to treat Canada as an annoying cousin that also happens to have one or two coveted resources (namely, water and oil). As strong and as mighty the US is, I'm pretty sure Obama knows it's easier to find a solution when more partners are working towards it (i.e. other countries). So, indirectly, I believe Obama is already working to bolster the economy by putting his best foot forward on the international scene.

January 22, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  22. Eric

Susan
    I agree with you. I didn't vote for him but I am pleased to see he is doing whats right in washington. I have great hope for this adminastration

January 22, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Sherrol in Canada

Hi David Gergen, I know my opinon doesn't really count for much as I am not from the USA, but as your neighbour up north, I'd have to say the yes, Pres. Obama does boost my confidence for the American people and the world.

January 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Bea

And for folks like Mike in Syracuse' girlfriend, they should offer tax breaks for training in fields that are still needed in the economy and needed by gov, possibly in technology and medical. Of course, although she doesn't have a job, at least she has Mike!!

January 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Sara

ANDERSON
    I think it's sad to look on this board (and in life around me) and see what people think the responsibilities of the government are. The job of the President is to keep our country safe – not to put money in our pockets or pay our bills.
    Our society seems to think it's up to the government to give them a job and fix our money problems. It's called self-reliance people.

January 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  26. L (New York)

David, Definitely I agree...The president's moves are wise in setting the stage for confidence in the government and assurety in purpose ...economically it will help...as long as people identify the follow thru and collateralization of his promises...

January 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo David Gergen....
    I agree with your comment..... I like Obama took briefing room talking about economics...... it will be more change ecomony in the future.

January 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  28. Pat Canada

Sorry to hear Caroline has removed her name. Also to hear the negative comments, opinions. Caroline is a great person, has done alot for education,et al. Why so much hatred, nastiness? A Shame.

January 22, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  29. Clarence Albuquerque

I think the priorities should be where the US is already present,, Iraq/ Afghanistan. Other hot spots would seem to be politically motivated areas of concern

January 22, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  30. Ebony, Brooklyn NY

I for one am willing to give Obama a chance. I have for the past few years watched my money shrink to the point that I feel cheated. I actually make a bit more money than before yet I can afford a lot less. Milk @ $4.00 a gallon? Transit fares going up (again)???? Everything is costing a LOT more in NYC yet the salary increases are not keeping up and we are really feeling it.

January 22, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Robert Ryczko

Why doesn't Obama submit relief package for $2 trillion. The bill would allow for every house to be reassessed in America and every American gets a new mortgage for their homes. If you purchased your home for $500K and it is now worth $400K, you get a new mortgage for $400K and the bank gets $100K from the government. That way, the banks don't get a hand out and the American people get a second chance as well.

January 22, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  32. Dorothy-CA

David – I am more confident with Obama than I have been will in many, many years and many, many Presidents. I think he is going to show us the total sum of his stuff if given the time.

January 22, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Tom of Philly

yes the economy can fix itself after an exponential free fall. Where it would go is what should scare you not where it is now. tarp was mishandled in the rush but the restrictions are increasing. the joke will ultimately be on the rapacious banks who change our credit terms. the govt is going to do it to them. i hate big government but i want the feds claws in corporate america to make the ceo culture bleed the way they have made us bleed. mabey when a ceo is only allowd to make the 'pittance' of a few hundred thousand a year they will understand the value of money

January 22, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Glen Up North

Bea – Wow, that would be quite a complex case to process nowadays, but I like the level of initial detail you're bringing forth. This almost sounds like rationing, but in an inverse way: instead of saying "We only have so much of this to sell to the public", it's like saying "We'll give you money, but you can only use it to buy this very same item". Depending on what "this" is (diapers? food? artwork?) and how likely the public was to buy it with their own money, it could be interesting to see this test-implemented.

January 22, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  35. Chris from State College, PA

I think the main point of the Caroline story is that a very private person decided to take herself out of the limelight that she was most obviously not comfortable with. These personal reasons thereby become none of our business other than gossip. It's pretty unimportant anyhow. More interesting would be some reporting on Kristen Gillebrand and just who she is.

January 22, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  36. MOnica

David, love to hear your analysis on CNN, I think we need to give the president some time to get his economic team in place .They have to get approved before they can start working.

January 22, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Dennis

Heard Ali comment earlier about the President extending COBRA. That only works if you have the money to continue to pay for it.

January 22, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  38. jim

A/C
    why is it ok for WALL ST to get bailed out but not us.... I know that will help the economy. People will pay down bad debt C/ Card companies will get there money.... this needs a bottom up.. I know pres. O will do the smart thing to get the economy moving

January 22, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  39. Ahmed,

I think We should get tax break .

January 22, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  40. Jessica

@David Gergen – I think the President is doing exactly what he should be doing – multitasking. He is still meeting with his advisers, still trying to make decisions. He cannot afford to stop all other thoughts just to solve one problem. I think he'll allow the people to have great confidence in him.

January 22, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Raven

Hey Anderson...I am worried about economics too! Nationalizing banks...David G. is trying to get us used to the idea...wow! I may not be able to pay my cable bill to keep watching you! Now that's bad...

January 22, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

David in Indiana.....
    I am also enjoy your post too!!!!! 🙂

January 22, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Dulcie - Denver

Good evening, David G.
    !
    Yes, I feel much more confident with Pres. Obama in charge. It felt like forever between the election and the Inauguration. And things just kept crashing.

I certainly don't expect any kind of immediate turnaround. I fully expect things to get worse before they get better. But wow, what a job.

BTW, I also think the Gitmo thing was an important gesture. It will pay dividends in the future, I believe.

Thanks, for your thoughts

January 22, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  44. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

@David Gergen: I was thinking the exact same thing about Obama focusing on lobbying, Gitmo, torture, etc. Seems like he's hitting on things that he can accomplish in the next 100 days as though he wants to achieve a good report card. We all know the economy and solving the Middle East conflicts most likely won't happen in the next 100 days but are, IMO, way more important. So far, I'm impressed with his leadership skills, now it's time for him to walk his talk!

January 22, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  45. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA!!

That was funny. Anderson is talking about Obama's first trip on Air Force 1 and the picture is of the US Air plane floating down the Hudson. Ooops!

January 22, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

So water landings are a perk of Air Force One? Who knew?

January 22, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  47. Minou, New York City

Hi Mr Gergen, I am very pleased with Pres Obama's steps regarding torture, Gitmo, transparency and lobbying! But can he "rescue" the economy? Nope...I don't know much about the economy, but it seems like the economy has a bug that needs to make it through the system to get flushed out. I don't see what could better the situation quickly.. but what do I know?

January 22, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  48. Deborah

Yes, the economy is lousy, but we have to believe that it will get better. Good idea about trying to keep a handle on what goes on with the funds. We should know what happens to the buckets of money the government is putting into the businesses.

Now, someone should work on taking the crunch off of the little guy who has debts with Bank of America, Chase, etc. and can't get a break.

January 22, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  49. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA!!

Glen Up North, don't forget, that $1000 spent on "neccessities" is multiplied as it runs its' course through the economy, over and over again.

January 22, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  50. L (New York)

Give the people money ...but most importantly generate jobs..otherwise all this is futility in the making and playing with paper notes...

January 22, 2009 at 10:31 pm |