January 22nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/22/09

Want to share your thoughts on tonight's show? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Milexy

I feel like President Obama is on the right track with the stimulus package, but we don't know if it is actually going to work. We just need to back him up right now and not critize him for what he can not control. Yes this can be helpful, but we need to turn to God for real help.

January 22, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am glad to hear that Obama will have a daily economic briefing.

January 22, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  3. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

David Gergen, I'm beginning to believe what so many people are telling me. They don't watch TV, cut the internet stuff, and live day to day, the best they can, no matter what the world throws at them. Maybe it's being a turtle, but we can't panic. We can do our part and no more. 800 billion will work or it won't. We'll have to deal with it one day at a time.

January 22, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  4. Marty

When it comes to the economy I think a both/and approach is probably best...If the money is only given at the bottom or only at the top, it all tends to be spent unwisely. Many of us common folk don't know how to manage money so just spending more will send some people into greater financial problems...both/and is always the best approach; it's never as easy as one or the other.

January 22, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  5. Rani Marie

I really am as a New Yorker, going to miss Hillary, but as a whole of the USA we need a strong intellegent woman like Hillary as secretary of state. I think she is going to do an amazing job in a higher seat!

Thanks for an always great show Anderson and Erica
    Good Night!
    -Rani

January 22, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  6. Diane Fudge, Atlanta GA

The economy is top priority – I favor the plan of a combination of the top down and bottom up approach. The final plan must include measures to address bad assets that banks are holding/balance sheet; it must also include measures to stablize the housing market . The number of foreclosures is climbing and along with declining home values hence banks are getting homes back that are considerable less than the loan amount. We need to stop the bleeding – unless we do it will continue to spread like a virus.

January 22, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  7. Sara

David Gergen,
    I think Obama is making me lose confidence in our economy. I do not trust his choice and excuses for his nomination and trust in Tim Geightner as Treasury Secretary.....Does that mean we all get a $30,000+ "innocent mistake" on our taxes.
    I want to believe in this administration but I don't believe Geightner should be excused when he will be in charge of such a crucial part of our country at this time.

January 22, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  8. Kevin in Calgary

David, Obama is demonstrating that we will keep his word and that will translate into confidence in him from the American people. Confidence established early is capital that is needed as the economic challanges are addressed. Thus, the moves he is making is directly related to economic management.

January 22, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  9. Lauren

David Gergen- the presidents behavior is increasing my confidence in him. I think he is behaving like a leader that must make hard decisions. I think he understands that every decision he makes will not please everyone, but will be the best decision for MOST of us and i think that that is what defines a great leader.

January 22, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  10. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

David Gergen, Until I see something substantial happening I cannot make a judgement about my level of confidence.

January 22, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  11. Mike, Syracuse NY

David, it doesn't appear that Obama is doing anything on the economy yet. GITMO ans Iraq can wait a few weeks. He should be working the economy 24/7.

January 22, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  12. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Mr. Gergen,

I absolutely think that it is all related. A huge part of the problem with our economy is that consumer confidence is dangerously low. All the things that President Obama is doing really does boost my confidence. Because they show that he is not going to waste time which will build confidence in him and the things that he is doing and will in turn boost their consumer confidence which will in turn boost the economy. Now it obviously wont happen overnight but consumer confidence is the cornerstone of our economy and anything President Obama can do to boost that confidence is awesome!

January 22, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Bea

They should distribute "Obama dollars" like an electronic credit voucher that you can only use on a certain day to buy certain classes of things. Then they can target and control where the money goes and when!!! Ha Ha. And they should force the restructuring of any loan given to someone who had good credit at the time and was eligible for a better deal. People could bring in their loan paperwork and show it. No paperwork, too bad.

January 22, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  14. Susan

There is a new war–declared on corruption. Obama is looking to clean house across the board!

January 22, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  15. kaleighsimmons

@Mike from Cuse, Microsoft says they will hire 2,000 to 3,000 people in "other areas." Curious to see what happens with that.

January 22, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  16. Tom of Philly

Erica, its a tragedy, take a step back the man who got elected on hope says its going to get worse before it gets better, hes not backing off on a promise, hes being truthful. The numbers are still accelerating. Until we reign in the banks and their wastful selfish ways, nothing will change. The infrastructure spending might be a bandaid but when u bleed you need one... it will take years to appreciate the spending. the phia art museum almost bankrupted philadelphia during the depression, but it still stands and attacts people to the city.. we need to absorb the unemployed somewhere, we can pay benefits and keep extending them or we can get some new public works,

January 22, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  17. Jane

I think Obama will do a good job, but I wish he should stop reminding us he is doing things better than any other administration. He should just put in place his process, and let those whose job is to talk/write... do the business of comparison. The end should justify the means.

January 22, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  18. Clarence Albuquerque

Hillary Clinton looked more relaxed today than she has in a long time. Maybe she's more herself when working than when not.

January 22, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  19. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA!!

@David Gergen, President Obama is exhibiting true leadership. In and of itself, that instills confidence in people. Seeing Clinton, Obama and Biden all together today further instills confidence. There are no definitive answers on the right direction for the economy.

January 22, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I hope ( Carolinr Kennedy ) she deserves the best....... I am sorry for her to drop out.

January 22, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  21. Rick

I believe we all depend too much on the government to fix the economic crises. Let's start trying to make things better ourselves. Small businesses especially can start by helping people in their community who have been laid off, lost their houses, etc. Maybe giving up a little profit to help those who are hurting.

January 22, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  22. Nancy

Anderson, Yes, I'm very worried about the economy. What I think hasn't worked is tax cuts for corporations. Ask the people that have seen their jobs outsourced and the people that have been downsized while corporate CEO's continue to earn large bonuses and huge salaries. I say we do need to get the money to the little guy to stimulate the economy.

January 22, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  23. Freddie

Allot of people may not agree with Obama in closing down Gitmo but his administration is a team of peace and to carry on with a prison that is out of view is a shady issue, some Americans may feel safe with the idea of caging the terrorist but it shows the world that we are not monsters or modern day Nazi's. I feel we should make them Americans and take them through a trail as traitors to their country! and let that be to all terrorist facing a task to undertake our nation.

January 22, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  24. Paul Wilson

Dear Anderson,
    Love your show and more importantly respect your journalism. Please tell me why we have not or can not have the Banks reassess the home values so that people can pay their mortgages? This whole financial crisis is due to the fact that consumers have no dollars to spend. They are struggling to stay in their homes.What are we waiting for!!

January 22, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  25. Caitlin - NY

i hear you mark ... and i agree, but it seems that it's not that simple and black and white.. this whole crisis seems to have alot of gray on what is the best action to take ... but i do agree with you

January 22, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  26. David, Indiana

You're welcome Megan, I always enjoy your posts btw

Maybe the automobile horn beep beeping interrupted Caroline Kennedy. In an election I bet should would win. The back and forth w/the electorate would uncover her thoughtfulness

January 22, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  27. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Yes, Erica. It's very unsettling. Although three in succession while script-writing had to be particularly uninspiring.

I hardly know a soul whose job, career for that matter, isn't at least slightly up-in-the-air with the current economic situation.

January 22, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  28. Roy DeWeese

It is evident that the corporations aren't using the bailout funds wisely, so now it is time to give the average american a check, and I for one will pay off my debts. I will need to since this bailout will eventually hit my paycheck in the form of higher taxes.

January 22, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  29. suzan

I need my daily news from CNN.
    Just a thank you for not being entertaining, but rather
    informative.

January 22, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  30. Glen Up North

"Bottom up" does work when it comes to establishing the priorities of a group of people. But distributing money "bottom up" is tricky. 150 million citizens dividing $150 billion dollars (for example) is only $1000 per person. What are people going to do? Most likely save that money, or pay for necessities. Every business that doesn't provide necessities doesn't get a penny of that money. Worst case scenario (to over-simplify): Wal-Mart ends up getting (indirectly) $150 billion dollars because they provide necessities. Is that a good solution? Or have I misunderstood what people mean by "bottom up"?

January 22, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  31. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Erica: I'm with you on the layoff announcements! The company where I work announced 1st. round layoffs late last year and this year they are expected to announce more. Everyone is walking around on pins and needles. But I have to say, it has made everyone step up and work a little harder these days!

January 22, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  32. Bob C.

I think America has very real and honest expectations for 2009. We are individually motivated to get involved in our Country's future. We are a huge group of individuals with diverse backgrounds and beliefs, yet a common positive goal. We will make a difference, individually together.

January 22, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  33. Dale

We all know how trickle-down economics work. The government gave Merrill Lynch a $20 billion bailout last year funded by taxpayers. They responded by paying $4 billion in executive bonuses to individuals who were most responsible for their economic collapse.

January 22, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  34. CAROLYN JONES

ERICA we as a people must pray for a better economy. and rallie behind our new president, but have faith you will be okay. smile keep on pushing.

January 22, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  35. Bea

Sorry but Caroline Kennedy was not ready for prime time. Take away the Kennedy name and assess her performance and what do you get?

January 22, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  36. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA!!

Mike, the only thing we can count on is this is going to be a white-knuckle ride for quite sometime. If anybody says they know what to do, don't believe any of them on either side of the aisle–they couldn't possible know what they're talking about (because nobody does).

January 22, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  37. Brandi R, California

How much money could we save if Pres Obama began pulling armed forces out of places across the world – not just Iraq? I mean, if Irag was/is costing us 10 billion per month, then pulling everything we can out of Iraq and out of all other non-essesential places, wouldn't we be saving billions almost immediately?

Our allies would certainly understand that if we don't focus on saving ourselves now, we won't be any good to them in the future. I think with the faith that the world now has in Pres Obama, they would have trust in us to do that, and come back to help them when we are able.

Any possibilities of such a thing?

January 22, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Danielle

I think if Caroline had pursued the seat, her privacy would have been blown wide open. If in fact it was her choice, I applaud her for not allowing that to happen.

January 22, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  39. Riley Magnum

Stlmulate the economy by making all interest tax deductable.Give tax credits on all automobiles that are over 30 mpg and are manufactured in the U.S.

January 22, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  40. Matthew R Murray

Mr. Gergen,

You mentioned that President Obama need to restore the American peoples confidence in the government. FDR did something simular with his federal programs of relief. (HOLC, WPA) He knew if he gave people relief then they would be more willing to trust him and his policies of reform. As Time Magazine reported, President Obama is instituting the New New Deal.

January 22, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  41. leah

The trouble with giving all the money to banks and businesses is that there is no guarantee that they won't use it to pay off debts of their own rather than reinvest it or to use it for loans.

The salary of the President, cabinet members, congress are all determined by law. That is why there had to be legislation to approve the pay cut SOS Clinton had to take in order to take the job.

January 22, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  42. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Marsha, Those that have it are pretty stingy. They won't make a move to help the ones below until it affects their level of "comfort."

January 22, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  43. Mike, Syracuse NY

Caroline's inept exit just demonstrates her lack of qualifification all along.

January 22, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  44. Sherrol in Canada

I'm sorry to see that Caroline is out, but that's life and the New York State population didn't really want her to get the seat.

January 22, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  45. vincent lemery janesville wi

I read somewhere that the economy would fix its self. so are we wasting our money on the 825b $ bailout please explain is it true

January 22, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  46. Corey W. Indiana

Erica Hill,

I know what you mean, it is happening so fast. What I don't understand is how laying people off is going to help the economy. You have all these people not able to pay their bills, and isn't that partially what got us here? I think companies are wrong in that they think firing people will help their situation. I think the only time an employer should lay someone off in a time like this is when they know for sure the company is going under.

January 22, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  47. Sara from Vancouver

Do you seriously think that cutting every american a cheque is going to fix anything? So far it doesn't look as though anyone can properly handle the money they already have. Why give them more of something they don't understand? Read some history books, make work programs: make an AutObama or another work project like Hoover. Make jobs, make money.

January 22, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  48. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Maybe Caroline just stopped and asked herself, 'Why would I want to give up my relatively quite, private life?' She has always been a very private person and I'm not sure why she would want to give that up.

January 22, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  49. ann holzheimer

Caroline will be given a cushy appointment from her good friend (and he does owe her) as an 'Ambassador' to something good. Kennedys' don't 'quit' anything. She is a smart girl and will do well in the right arena.

January 22, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  50. Max, Dallas, TX

I'm more concerned about Gitmo. There's nothing that can be done to IMMEDIATELY solve the economic crisis, but we can show the world we will not mar our nation's name by torturing people.
    Also- where is CNN getting those numbers of detainees? Those are the numbers the Bush administration released. Out with the old, in with the new- why not find out independently?
    I hope CNN investigates Gitmo in greater detail.

January 22, 2009 at 10:23 pm |