January 22nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/22/09

Want to share your thoughts on tonight's show? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Thanks David in Indiana...... 🙂

January 22, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Jeff Sharpless

Greetings,
    The worry over the economy permeates the airways and with good cause. It appears we are in the worst crisis since the Great Depression. Since I view our culture as ultra individualist, I see more people in need of help without the social infrastructure to help people. We do not learn from history and we repeat our self-absorbed ways. Our new President asks us to volunteer but many work 40+ hours and have families. We want someone to solve our paradoxes but we as the people need to do it ourselves. The question I have is about our culture. How will our present culture respond to the severe suffering that lies ahead?

January 22, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Dorothy-CA

Hi Anderson and Bloggers

I sure have learned that when I'm stressed out to the max on the job, I pull back and be thankful I have a job to be stressed over. It's amazing the way things shift with present perspective! Seems you just are kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I love Obama and really think we need to give him a chance to fix all that is broken. He can't do it in 2 days. We need to stand behind him. So far so good!

January 22, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Gary

I think the stimulus package should be from the bottom up. HIstory has proven that the trickle down theory does not work, because the money has always stopped with the greedy people at the top and has never reached the people who really need it. Look at all the Wall Street bonuses used with tax payer money during the initial bailout.

January 22, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Lauren--NY

Casey, you make an excellent point–your civil rights movement is coming soon; I can feel it. Hold you head high; a lot of us are pulling for you.

(I hope that didn't translate as condescending; it wasn't my intention...just support.)

January 22, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  6. EJ (USA)

Anderson, you say that you are worried about the economy and spent all day worrying. What about the economy are you specifically worried about?

January 22, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hi Anderson: I'm interested in what's going on with the Big 3 . What did they do with the money they got , their plans, etc. Now that Toyota is considered the leader instead of GM. Although it was nice to see a GM car become Obama's new presidential limousine.

January 22, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Vanessa, El Paso,TX

what do you mean pres. Bush did not know that gas was $4/gal? It doesn't make sense I think he knew probably denies it though

January 22, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Even after the long election process, with Obama dominating the news every day, I'm just getting used to the change of tone in news headlines and reports referring to the White House and President Obama. I'm glad to see that Obama is staying on message–and moving forward on his policies.

January 22, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  10. Derek

We need to invest in future infastructure and energies. Spend money on getting out the new energies such as hydrogen and geothermal to expand them and create new jobs, along with helping the environment and creating competition for OPEC which have controlled athe economy for years. We don't realize how much oil has controlled us and need to become indepedent from it. It will revolutionize our world and do all good things. Win-win situation.

January 22, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Felicia (Georgia)

Why is David Gergen not serving as a White House advisor? I think President Obama can receive critical information from him. Come on, David, apply!!!

January 22, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Jannifer

with Microsoft laying people off, what does that mean for us? and those who use their systems so often in our daily lives? Will are computers & devices and the service for them be altered by this decision?

January 22, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  13. jim

AC

WE Need a bottom up recovery!!!! It's a no brainier.... I am john Q and we have NO MONEY....... PEOPLE NEED MONEY PLEASE A/C let all know we need TARP like money or it will be a long long recession !!!! or a depression

January 22, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  14. Michael

The economy is obviously the primary concern of the Obama administration, and it should be, but it is not anywhere as near troubling as the great depression as many pundits are claiming.

January 22, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  15. Bea

The real sacrifice for Obama is his wife can't take an outside job as she used to. There would be huge conflict of interest complaints.

January 22, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Brian in Ocala Fl

What I don't understand is why Obama still went all out on the most expensive inaugeration party when he had the chance to shine politically and show simple restraint on spending! He expects Americans to scale back why not do it himself? 150 million on a party? Really?

Brian in Ocala Florida

January 22, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  17. Mike, Syracuse NY

The scarry thing is that there is no guarantee that another bailout will help, or just add to the huge defivit. It's a Hail Mary pass.

January 22, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  18. Jim

How many pens does the President use just once, and how much do they each cost?

January 22, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  19. MaryBeth

Jo Ann, I know mine is! I work in a hotel and was really happy a big banking firm decided sending their managers to Palm Springs was "unethical" so they sent them here, to Chicago, instead....

January 22, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  20. Gabriel Rodriguez

Is President Obama cutting his salary back to set his own example? Remember he say's himself "There's two type of politics he's says one for the money and the other for public service." he quoted himsself?

January 22, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  21. leah

JP: I think President Obama did the oath again the way he did was because he was cutting off the right "conspiracy" types before it got to be a problem. To him and most Americans his presidency started at 12:00 on Jan. 20th and that is the moment we/he wants remembered.

January 22, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  22. Shillie, Minneapolis, MN

I wait for the day when economic and job issues are not the first thing on the agenda. Hopefully one of these days, myself like many others will have the opportunity to pay off school loans & actually use my college degree. Would love to take the chance and move to New York and use my Journalism degree, but is that too much of a risk?

January 22, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  23. Merlin

Those who dont remember and/or honor their past are condemned to repeat it until they do.

If there is no question, there are no answers!!!

January 22, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  24. Kassie Wright

Speaking of erosion of confidence...am I the only one who feels that Obama has been inaugurated with almost impossible expectations on his shoulders?

I don't think that he can actually live up to it all, and even if he gets a second term, he can only really get the ball going. Which...lets be honest, the next president afterwards could totally reverse.

The economy is just one example of this.

January 22, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  25. Luanne Freeman

Unfortunately, the worse the economy gets, our business thrives. So I'm torn between feeling sorry for our country and being selfish that we are doing well.

January 22, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  26. Arielle

President Obama's stimulus plan will only work if it creates jobs in large and small cities alike. I think his plan will be helpful, but we need jobs more than anything right now – good, middle-class management jobs! I've been out of work for far too long. I'm almost out of savings, and it's very scary!

January 22, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

“Looks like Mr Obama will be the first James Bond President with high VERY hitech BlackBerry….LOL…I love it!!!”

Casey J in CA
    I agree LOL!!!! me too!!

January 22, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  28. Clarence Albuquerque

David G. thank you for your calming and wise perceptions. you can soothe the wild blogger.

January 22, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Unless you have a talent that is rare or unique your job will probably be affected.

January 22, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  30. jim cushing

Until and at such time as the government puts an end to the CDO and cds legal gambling by our institutions, jobs will continue to be lost, and monies will simply transfer to those who have won the bet.

January 22, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  31. manoj

No way the bottom up approach is going to work.If I get a 500 dollar tax break that is nothing .It has to be top down .

January 22, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  32. Sherrol in Canada

We have been losing jobs left, right and centre here in Canada. In Toronto the biggest phone company in Ontario & Quebec terminated a total number of 2500 executives, middle and lower managerial jobs, due to restructuring of the business.

Ooh la la!

January 22, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  33. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Sherrol, yes, when unemployment runs out, welfare is the last resort.

January 22, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  34. Craig from Kansas

I am concerned all this spending will do nothing except dystroy our dollar through hyper-inflation. We just need to do NOTHING. Recessions happen, it will work out. It is like a forest fire, you need to let it burn out because it makes the forest more healthy. Anything we do will only prolong the pain.

January 22, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  35. jane

I hope something gets done quickly to help our economic crises. I hope there is some good set of rules to keep the criminal factors in our country at bay. It more than just greed. It is criminal to steal.

January 22, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  36. Rikki, Fargo, ND

It is a good idea to give people the money but the execution is a bit sketchy. There would have to be some guarantee that consumers are going to do just that..consume that is what drives our economy. Consumer confidence is dangerously non-existence and if people don't spend it is going to take a lot longer to get better.

January 22, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  37. John

I would like to see the names of the companies that have ever hired people when their business is going down. To do that they must be very poor mangers. We don't have ten tears for supply side to work!

January 22, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  38. Corey W. Indiana

I think everyone is worried about the economy right now. I believe top down approach may be the best method. We saw the bush administration attempt a bottom up fix and that wasn't as successful as hoped. I believe a top down approach would allow for funds to be applied to industries that need it. A bottum up approach is nice because it puts money in peoples hands which makes them feel good, but the fact remains the proper industries may not get sufficient funds that they need.

January 22, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  39. Steven

Why is the President silent about construction jobs? The industry is hurting beyond comprehension. I guess his infrastructure plan has hit the back burner.

January 22, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  40. Clarence Albuquerque

I loved that surrealistic shot in the mirror. What lies ahead is what lay behind.

January 22, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  41. MaryBeth

The president makes 400K a year.

January 22, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  42. Bea

Perhaps the question should be asked what would it take people who have some extra money and are not struggling to spend money and help the economy? I want to do a renovation, but it's been too cold . Same with folks shopping, doing entertainment. and buying houses. When the weather warms up folks with some disposable income will spend more.

January 22, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I think it would be easier to list the jobs that aren't affected by this bad economy. If there are any.

January 22, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  44. Jana, Indiana

I know I am ready for winter to be over, so that my heatng bills will go back down. They are just to high!

January 22, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  45. Mike, Syracuse NY

My girlfriend's last day of work is tomorrow. She's worried how she'll find a new job in this economy.

January 22, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  46. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, everyone blogging.

Megan I agree, I was glad to hear that President Obama appointed Richard Holbrooke and George Mitchell as special envoys. Only George Mitchell is going to the Middle East, but I think its good that Obama has a middle east envoy so soon.

Ali, if those are world wide layoffs, specifically how many jobs are being lost in the US

Anderson, I am worried about the economy you have to be, but I feel the stimulus plan will help.

January 22, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  47. Ken from east Texas

Don't agree with bottom up 60-30 split. What happened to the other 10? Thanks for the chuckle. Enjoy the show.

January 22, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  48. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA!!

Here's what I want to talk about Anderson. How can Obama fulfill his promise of progressive policy changes favoring illegal immigrants when he (we) can't even recognize the civil rights of gays and lesbians?

January 22, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  49. Glen Up North

Evening Anderson, Erica, CNN and bloggers! 🙂 As for Obama's Blackberry... If there's one person I'd want to be immediately accessible by the people who need him, it's Obama.

January 22, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  50. Clarence Albuquerque

$800,000,000,000 divided among the middle and lower classes might have an impact, but I'm afraid it would just be spent on more cheap thrills and entertaining diversions. not a good thing

January 22, 2009 at 10:09 pm |