January 22nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/22/09

Want to share your thoughts on tonight's show? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Don, WA

It looks like the only place that might be hiring right now is the unemployment office.

January 22, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  2. Minou, New York City

Gabriel Rodriguez:
    I don't think the president makes all that much. Take into account that he works around the clock! He deserves every penny of it.

January 22, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  3. Sherrol in Canada

What happens when the time to receive unemployment cheques (sorry, I'm Canadian, that's how we spell it) runs and people are still unable to find work? Is Welfare the next option? I really hope not, I'm hoping they are able to find work.

January 22, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  4. Vanessa, El Paso,TX

I think like Mr velshi is right, they should start from the bottom give us the $ right?

January 22, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  5. Kathy, Chicago

Yikes, the economy is tanking. My hours have been cut, but I'm not the bread winner.

January 22, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That is scary if Microsoft is laying off. Things just keep getting worse.
    Yes, Jana....
    I agree with you..... That is so scary for me........

January 22, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  7. Philoan Tran - Houston

I agree with you Anderson – the economy is a big concern. It is now the general topic of conversation like the weather for everyone (business and general public).

January 22, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  8. Bridget, Cypress, TX

Hi Anderson and bloggers:) I'm very worried about the economy and hearing daily that there are more layoffs/companies going out of business is very disquieting. I know it's going to take years to get us back on track, but I hope the politicians work with President Obama and not fight him for the sake of fighting. They should either present a better way of handling the problem or give President Obama and his teams ideas a try.

January 22, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  9. Kerrie - Seattle

I lost my job in October and this is the first time that I ever have not been able to find a new job within a few weeks...but I able not going to worry everday..

January 22, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  10. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA!!

"Looks like Mr Obama will be the first James Bond President with high VERY hitech BlackBerry….LOL…I love it!!!"

Our President is simply in step with reality.

January 22, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  11. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Things like electric and water are next and then everyone will feel it one way or the other.

January 22, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  12. Michelle Fonthill,Ont

I also agree with economy Anderson my job is ending I'm goiing back to school changing careers in this time trying toi find something more stable

January 22, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  13. Clarence Albuquerque

Microsoft did not really need to unload Vista on the public... hopefully Windows 7 will clean things up for the consumer and for their own company.

January 22, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  14. Bea

Ok, bad economy people stop buying computers, software related products. How difficult is that to see. Actually, last night it was predicted Microsoft would layoff. Saw it online. So somebody knew it.

January 22, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  15. EJ (USA)

Worrying any more about the economy could send some people over the edge.

January 22, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  16. Minou, New York City

My heart goes out to the newly out-of-work people. I still have my retail job, I just don't get any work hours..

January 22, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  17. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA!!

I still believe we will see the Dow Jones Industrial Average bottom between 6000 and 7000. We haven't seen the worst yet.

January 22, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  18. Tracey - Boston

hey everybody

January 22, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  19. Rikki, Fargo, ND

For the first time in months I can listen to these reports on people filing for unemployment and know that I am not one of them! It is a bit of a relief for me!

January 22, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  20. Danielle

Hi from Canada!

We're feeling the economic pressure here as well. I work in the healthcare industry (which has been considered a "safer" industry to work in) and a 250+ job loss was announced at one of our major hospital organizations today. Clearly, no one is safe.

January 22, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  21. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson, Erica and Fellow Bloggers.

Anderson – Quit worrying about economic issues. The erosion of confidence doesn't help anyone. While we have to be realistic, we also have to have hope or we will become paralyzed by fear.

I hope everyone gives President Obama and his team a chance. I would hate to think that goodwill and optimism only lasted one day.

January 22, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  22. Jana, Indiana

Good evening Anderson and bloggers. Glad tomorrow is Friday. I imagine Mr Cooper is as well.

That is scary if Microsoft is laying off. Things just keep getting worse.

January 22, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  23. Vanessa, El Paso,TX

i always wondered w/ Pres. Obama's decision to close Gitmo, these are terrorist being released now they have a grudge against the U.S. you kinds have to wonder what these ppl are gonna do, maybe retaliate hopefully no but its always a possibilty

January 22, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  24. JP, Montauk, NY

Doesn't anyone else think that President Obama didn't take the oath over in public so that they wouldn't embarass the Chief Justice?

January 22, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  25. Gabriel Rodriguez

Is the President Obama cutting his salary as well? He needs to set his very own example of public service...

January 22, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  26. Clarence Albuquerque

The president is making decisions about his staff and their salaries because of the economy... let's hope the real recovery does make progress through the executive orders.

January 22, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  27. Lauren--NY

Good evening, Anderson, Erica, crew and bloggers. Yes, the economic issues are worrisome every day. I was really intrigued by the press briefing today. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in there...Anderson, have you ever had the opportunity to be in the White House press room (not necessarily the newly renovated fancy-pants one)?

January 22, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  28. Minou, New York City

HI Anderson, Erica and fellow bloggers,

You worry about economic issues? I just got hit over the head with a medical bill from last year for some routine thing... I prefer to focus on the good things in life.. ignorance is bliss.. truly!

January 22, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with you Anderson, I am so worried about economics so lot.... but not bad at all.....

January 22, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  30. Donna Montreal

Hello Anderson, et al.

Have a good time tonight and don't worry too much about the economy. It'll just give you grey hair. 🙂

January 22, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  31. Bea

I never understand why the press asks questions that clearly cannot be answered today as if it is ridiculous not to issue the order to plan without having a plan already. "What are we going to do about these detainees?"

January 22, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  32. Renee Y

Hi Anderson, Erica-Is it me or does it appear that there is no true reporting on the economy. It seems we have gotten off focus and this is a very serious problem.

January 22, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  33. Sherrol in Canada

Looks like Mr Obama will be the first James Bond President with high VERY hitech BlackBerry....LOL...I love it!!!

January 22, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  34. Clarence Albuquerque

The economy is still spinning heads, whether the public is really concerned remains to be revealed and discerned.

January 22, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  35. Robert Barr

Where did the US take possession of the Prisoners of War from Afghanistan instead of the UN and why won't they be in International Court being it was a UN action?

January 22, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Mike, Syracuse NY

Too bad the Bush policies since 9/11 have worked. What's Obama going to do, ask the terrorist 'pretty please' to asnswer questions?

January 22, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  37. Michelle Fonthill,Ont

Greetings to all on blog form Michelle D.

January 22, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  38. Buford

I thought it was a security problem to keep the blackberry? But they found away for the chosen one to keep it!

January 22, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I found out that Microsoft laid off around 5,000 people in my hometown this morning turn on CNN.

January 22, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening Anderson, Erica and bloggers! Welcome to the best part of the day! This is the hour I look forward to everyday!

Anderson, I'm not so worried about economic issues, I mean I guess I think about and wonder how long it will take to pull us out of this recession but I know that we will because we're America and we're not big on quitting!

January 22, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, The economy is a good place to start. Also, let's discuss where the detainees are going to go after they close Gitmo.

January 22, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Kassie Wright

Good evening, Anderson, and the rest of the bloggers.

Canada is having a lot of budget issues today as well. Ottawa is looking at going into billions of dollars of deficit. I can see why you'd be worrying about them.

January 22, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  43. Bea

Economics is good. Caroline Kennedy. Hillary and state. But no Palin and no Bush!

January 22, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Stacy

I'm taking a break on worrying about economic issues. I'll start back to the worrying on Monday.

January 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  45. Sherrol in Canada

Greetings from Canada everyone!!!

January 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Dulcie - Denver

Agreed. A co-worker's husband was laid off today and a friend's job will be outsourced to Mexico in October. It's pretty devastating for them and by extension to their friends.

The economic indicators are incredibly dire. I finally have a job, but I feel like I'm going to have to help my friends financially. I think pulling together is the only way we're going to get through this.

January 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Hey Anderson, Erica, and bloggers!

I think we should talk about the economy of course, and "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," which was listed earlier on the site. Or, we can talk about whatever else is on your mind. Let's just get it rolling. 😉

January 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson, Erica, David G, and best bloggers!
    Happy Thursday night!!!
    I am glad that George Mitchell and Richard Halbrooke will go to Middle East. That will good plan to go there.
    Oh! I was so surprised that Obama kept his blackberry right now.

January 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA!!

Good evening bloggers! The site of HRC and President Obama together (on stage) today was quite formidable. It insipres confidence and I'm delighted to see us moving ahead at a notable pace.

Getting a jump on us with the first (pre-10pm) post doesn't let you off the hook for the rest of the broadcast, Anderson!

January 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. anderson cooper

good evening everyone, thanks for joining the live chat. what should we talk about tonite? I've been worrying about economic issues all day, how bout you?

January 22, 2009 at 9:51 pm |