January 20th, 2009

Obama's just the kind of hero we need now

President Barack Obama told a crowd at the National Mall that America's challenges are real.

Ed Rollins
CNN Contributor

President Barack Obama, our newly inaugurated 44th president, showed the millions watching around the world and the freezing millions there in person on the Mall why he won the election - and why so many believe he can lead us in these troubled times.

I don't believe any other American at this time could have brought this country together in the same way and made Americans feel as good as they do about our new president.

Obviously, being the first African-American president, he brings great pride and hope to millions of those who thought this day might never happen. But it is far more than that.

Keep Reading...

Filed under: Inauguration
  1. Mike, Syracuse NY

Obama may turn out to be a good leader (the jury is definitely still out), but 'hero' isn't a label he"s earned yet.

January 20, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  2. Debbie, Louisiana

What an emotionally charged day. The enormity of today hit me on my drive into work. I couldn't exactly figure out what brought on the tears until I realized this: today proves that hope has no boundaries. Today means that we, as a nation, are even more enlightened than the rest of the world ever knew and that finally we have a leader that makes us want to be better than we ever thought we could be.

January 20, 2009 at 9:55 pm |
  3. Bridget, Cypress, Tx

I am so proud to be an American and to have hope that with me and everyone doing our part, the US will triumph and become a better country then ever. CNN did an awecome job covering every moment of the day, it was wonderful to see and hear everything going on today.
    I loved watching the President and First Lady interact during the parade and only imagined what he or she was saying that made the other laugh.
    It is wonderful to know we have a first family that is in love and don't have a problem showing the world that love between a married couple with children still exists.

January 20, 2009 at 9:45 pm |
  4. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

YES, Ed Rollins, you are correct. I must say that you, Mr. Rollins, are a man that I have come to admire. Though I voted for Bush in 2000, I came to dislike him SO strongly that I couldn't stand the sound of the man's voice. Bush stood for all that is wrong with our poor country.

BUT.......... God intervened. I believe indeed, that Barack Obama is the leader we need at this very moment in our Nation's history. His speech today, though somber...... yes, was exactly what our Nation needs to hear.

We are facing a disaster, we have a mountain to climb. I am convinced that with the support of Congress, and we, the People, President Obama will overcome the odds he faces.

YES WE CAN, YES WE WILL........ AMERICA!

January 20, 2009 at 8:36 pm |
  5. Billie J Jones

This has been a wonderful day , Every speech every prayer has been out standing and gives me hope for a better year ahead. It makes me want to get to work an do more volenteer work and help where ever I can. I am 77years old and healthy . This is my prayer , Billie

January 20, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  6. M.A. Pendino

Since Campbell Brown doesn't have a blog I am sending this to you. I have been watching the commentary this evening. I am sick of all pundits, particularly republican guests, focusing on everthing but unity. Why do they have to mention, even for one moment, anything other than hope and support for our new administration. This year I just might shut off the T.V..

January 20, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  7. Mike Gillispie

I think we might want to remember that it is possible that in addition to Obama's natural leadership abilities the time may just be right demographically for substantial change. The boomers (including myself) are coming to the final stages of their influence on business and our communities. Our children are proud of theopportunities they have been given and want to influence the world they will live in. Obama at 47 is right in the middle – the bridge – that can help us (boomers) enter our retirement years proud of our accomplishments and at the same time create a foundation for our children to express themselves and eventually live in a world they helped create.

January 20, 2009 at 8:31 pm |
  8. Patti O in Rhode Island

Mr & Mrs Obama should now be referred to as President Obama and the First Lady unlike how they are being referred to in your broadcast. Also, did anyone happen to notice that the First Lady was very cold in the viewing area during the parades? where's the First Lady's personal assistant? where is the President's assistant? The First Lady could have used a blanket or warm boots and the President could have used a tissue or two.

January 20, 2009 at 8:18 pm |
  9. Mike

Wish I could have seen more of the parade and less of the satellite photos. Little box on lower right don't count.

January 20, 2009 at 8:17 pm |
  10. PHX

I just heard a co-worker call President Obama the 'anti-christ'. We Democrats gave Mr. Bush a chance to run this country. I cannot understand why we can't all be adults and give the new President a chance to prove himself. Doesn't everybody deserve a chance? Can we all accept change for the sake of our children's future?

January 20, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  11. Magoria

There was a commentary made of Obama's speech by some of your contributors which implied that a part of his speech was perhaps too harsh. I would like to make a point that I strongly believe that his comments were directed at the videotape sent in by Osama Bin Laden, telling us that we, the U.S., could not continue to stay the course in fighting terrorism and that if we tried to do so that it would destroy us. I am surprised that nobody picked up on that!

January 20, 2009 at 8:09 pm |
  12. Tora

We have entered the Era of Hope.

January 20, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  13. Shabana Rahman

It truly is an Honor to be a part of this Breathtaking and Heartwarming Historical Day in Action as Barack Hussein Obama is welcomed as the 44th President of the United States of America! It will be looked back upon as a day that gave rise to new Hope and Inspiration. We have witnessed the start of a New Era for all the Americans and Citizens who Represent various nationalities across this country. I am one of millions of Americans who is extremely touched to have been fortunate enough to witness this Momentous Day!

Mr. Anderson Cooper, you have an excellent show! I regularly watch your AC 360 show everyday with my dad, keep up the good work! I commend you for your hard work, determination, perseverance, and dedication in presenting the world and its events to us so genuinely.

Shabana Rahman