January 20th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/20/09

Want to share your thoughts on today's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Brandi - bottom of the boot

goodnite!

January 21, 2009 at 12:00 am |
  2. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I'm guessing the blog is closing at midnight, so I'm going to head out.

Andy, get some sleep. Maybe it's just the time's I tune in, but it seems as though you've been on for days straight.

Have a great night, everyone!

January 21, 2009 at 12:00 am |
  3. Kate - Armidale, Australia

Hi Campbell!

I think that Jason Wu's gown looks absolutely gorgeous as well! Its a pity that CNN isn't hosting a Ball, as I'm sure that you would look absolutely stunning in one of his outfits!!

Going on further from Rhiana's (i think that's her name anyway) comments, Australia had a number of Inauguration parties celebrating Barak and Michelle's achievement last night as well.

Have fun for the rest of the night!!

Kate!

January 20, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, David Gergen, Gary T, Randi Kaye, and Campbell and also Wolf B. CNN Team and best bloggers!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight!
    See you tomorrow night........
    Anderson,
    Please get rest and sleep after work...... Thanks for let us up so late for 3 hours!!!! That is so awesome blog!!!!! Take care everyone!!!!!

January 20, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  5. Glen Up North

Thanks again Anderson, Erica, CNN and bloggers for a most excellent evening! Good night to all! 😀

January 20, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  6. Ingrid from Northern Virginia

Bummer we have the break with Larry King...(no offense Larry:) but on the Blog roll here...LOL....

What an amazing and wonderful day...Thanks to CNN for such great coverage and bringing technology in to enhance the experience.

YES WE DID:)

January 20, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  7. Lori from IL

Tina - President Obama's tux is by Hart, Schaffner & Marx – a Chicago company.

Good night fellow bloggers - I have really enjoyed blogging with you.

Anderson, thanks for a fun show tonight. With all the doom and gloom in the news lately- out country needed today. The parade, the balls, not to mention a new leader. Hope has returned to the USA!

January 20, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  8. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

It's the last few minutes before the blog is shut down, so I'll say what I want to say now.

Today was historic. Nothing can change that. But tomorrow, which is in about three minutes, can be historic too if we work at it and keep our hope and determination to make America great again.

I have to thank Cooper, AC360, Brown, and the entire team/staff/mods for their incredibly hard work. I don't know how you guys keep this show going night after night without passing out mid-production. Applause and standing ovation for you all!

Good night, Cooper and crew. I'll be with you all throughout the night. May the rest of this time continue to be "on the cusp of history." Stay safe!

January 20, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  9. Jacqueline, NY

@Ashley – Hamlin, NY

Aww Cooper likes to watch the Obamas dance. Is our favorite anchor a romantic perhaps?

Maybe Cooper is trying to pick op some pointers. 🙂

Goodnight all! And congratulations to us all! Now go get some rest, because tm we have a lot of work to doing. Let the show begin.

January 20, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  10. Glen Up North

Thanks for the info, Vanessa! CNN, I know Canadian visits are a bit outside the immediate scope, but could you please please please cover Obama's first visit as President to Canada? Trust me, I think you'll be more objective and informative.

January 20, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  11. Brandi - bottom of the boot

Vanessa, gary is adorable, isnt he? you just cant help but love him. lol

January 20, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  12. Gregory Stoughton WI

As President Obama Inaugural Speech reflected the hope he has given us but need for change but the only way that change can come about is if we as all Americans work as one to join together embrace all things that are need to make the changes that government can not do it alone that government will change but we as people must change too for all of America to have this hard change to come about that we can not go on as it has been but must work with each other now, tomorrow , and for years to come.

January 20, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  13. Sherrol in Canada

Good jight everyone, have a happy tomorrow.

January 20, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  14. Vanessa, El Paso,TX

wow gary tuchman...w/ kanye west..."you really brought down the house"?! lol i think gary ROXS!!

January 20, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  15. Patricia W. from Canada

The Obama's are 'ball hopping'!!! What a radiant evening they must be having. I bet their ready to sit back right now or possibly find an alternative song to dance to. ( I cannot imagine what it would be like to have 10 dances in a row to the exact same song...that must be a little surreal)

January 20, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  16. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good Tuesday evening. It's almost 9 pm here out west. Between the blog, ac360 and switching back and forth to American Idol, I'm done in. Night all, very interesting thoughts to read on the blog tonight. Ac360 and CNN, well done.

January 20, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  17. Sherrol in Canada

What kind of haircut is Kanye sporting? I must say it looks rather silly.

January 20, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  18. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Anderson, Campbell, and other CNN'ers, hang in there with your late night coverage! I've enjoyed watching CNN all day today and glad I took the day off from work so I could.

As much as I rather be a "night owl" tonight and watch all the ball hopping, I can't soar with the eagles in the morning if I don't get some shut eye! Nite all!

January 20, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  19. Brandi - bottom of the boot

See anderson! its easy, just do like kanye and bounce up and down! lol

im so sorry, i'll stop with the dancing thing now, im sleep deprived, you must excuse me.

January 20, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  20. EJ (USA)

Goodnight Anderson 🙂 Thanks for the great coverage. I hope you are able to get some sleep.

January 20, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  21. Mike, Syracuse NY

EJ, First I get a laugh out of CaseyJ and now you. If I can get Megan to crack a smile I'll have a liberal hat trick.

January 20, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  22. Glen Up North

I'll join in to that agreement on Aerosmith... I was just looking over my Aerosmith CDs before he said that!

January 20, 2009 at 11:53 pm |
  23. Greg Ward

Holy Crap!!!!!! I was there. Watched the whole thing right next to the Washington Monument. It was freezing. i was on zero sleep and i was super freaked out cause i had to catch a plane to fly back to Louisville at 8:40!!!!!(If you were there you would have understood my paranoidness) This was christmas gift from my parents to brother and me and it is something that i will never, ever forget. BTW, it was nice to see Anderson braving the elements with the rest of us on Monday night unlike those, ahem, people over at MSNBC.

January 20, 2009 at 11:53 pm |
  24. Maureen, Georgia

Thanks Megan Dressslar, goodnight to you and all other bloggers.

January 20, 2009 at 11:53 pm |
  25. Nisha

Hi Anderson!!!

First off we love you!!! Secondly, I just thought i'd give you some enthusiasm on your all nighter and that my family will be pulling it with you!! Great job with the coverage, and i wanted to let you know that Pres. Obama and First Lady Obama are on their way to their 8th ball so you're one ball behind, which should be a good thing in terms of timing! 🙂

Happy Inauguration!

-Nisha

January 20, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  26. Gisselle - Houston TX

Hi Anderson, Campbell and CNN crew, loving the live broadcast! I feel for you guys, some of you look really tired and drained so I hope you guys get the much needed and well deserved rest after the festivities!

Our First Lady's dress is beautiful, Michelle Obama looks beautiful and President Obama is radiant as well and I love the fact that they are soooo in love with each other, I think I've said enough aw's and sighs for the night.

CNN you guys ROCK! Get some rest and good night!

January 20, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

gotta say, you people who have been blogging on here this long, im gonna give ya’ll the new title of ‘crackbloggers’, just like anderson and his ‘crackberry!’ lol

BrandI!!!
    I agree with you!!!! LOL I know that I did say that!!!!! LOL

January 20, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  28. Clarence Albuquerque

Thanks for the memories...g'nite all... let the work begin.

January 20, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I wonder how heavy that dress is.

January 20, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

January 20, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  31. EJ (USA)

OK, can we have the next dance to something by Aerosmith?

Oh my gosh – I was just listening to Aerosmith today! I love them. That is so weird that I found something in common with Mike from NY. See? Obama is already bringing everybody together. : )

The song I was listening to over and over again was "What it Takes."

January 20, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  32. Bea

Congratulations Jason Wu. Big Honor.

January 20, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I wonder if Wu noticed how difficult it was for her to dance in that dress?

January 20, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  34. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I agree with Campbell, the Michelle Obama's dress does look beautiful on the dance floor!

January 20, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  35. Tina Thompson

Everyone is talking about Michelle Obama's gown which by the way she looks beautiful, but what dsigner is the President's tux by??

January 20, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  36. Glen Up North

Obama corrected himself! At the Western ball, he referred to his wife as doing "everything I do except in heels". At the Midwest ball, he changed it to "everything I do except backwards and in heels". Funny, the first one seems more poetic.

January 20, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  37. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Crackbloggers? Haha. Perfect. Tis true, tis true...

January 20, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  38. Dulcie - Denver

LOL! Aerosmith I can dance to, Mike. Sort of...

Hah! Crackbloggers! I guess if the shoe fits... I won't be on much longer, though – I actually have to work tomorrow.

Man, the first couple just keep getting sexier as the night wears on! I love it!

January 20, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  39. Linda in WI

Hello,
    Has Obama's mother-in-law attended any of the events today? If so, could you show a pic or clip of her? If not, what is she doing today?

January 20, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  40. Vanessa

Canada is Obama's first international stop. Does nayone know when that will be?

January 20, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Does anyone know up until what time we can still blog? I never get tired of watchng the Obama’s dance.

We will finish by midnight the live blog.

January 20, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  42. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

David – I hear ya. I don't do the ballroom dancing unless it's small steps side-by-side. Too much thinking ruins the couples' dance – ha! Yeah, I can always go for some headbanging music myself....

January 20, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  43. Ingrid from Northern Virginia

I know there will be so much stress and pressure these next years but oh, how I pray that the First Lady, and the girls can help the President have these types of rare moments of "relaxed and natural" ease....the laughter, the banter, the smiles....
    Doris Kearns Goodwin tried to explain it by saying that people feel "This President will affect my life, as an individual as well as the nation" and that is truly rare....

January 20, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  44. sara

amazing a global hystoryc day,tnx CNN!

January 20, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  45. Sherrol in Canada

Are we sure the President and First Lady aren't taking a celebratory glass of champagne everytime they jump in the beast to head to another Ball? He seems to be getting more and more amorous each time.....I love It, they look great together.

January 20, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  46. Mike, Syracuse NY

OK, can we have the next dance to something by Aerosmith?

January 20, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  47. Brandi - bottom of the boot

i liked Mrs. President's evening gown, i thought it showed off her small waist and accentuated her curves very well. while it was somewhat bothersome to watch her picking it up repeatedly.

i gotta say, you people who have been blogging on here this long, im gonna give ya'll the new title of 'crackbloggers', just like anderson and his 'crackberry!' lol

dont say it megan! 😛
    (yeah, yeah, yeah, i know, im one too. lol)

January 20, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  48. Lori from IL

Oh, Anderson - "We can't go to any balls because we are working." Truth be told, you probably volunteered to work so you had an excuse not to attend one of the inaugural balls.

January 20, 2009 at 11:42 pm |