January 20th, 2009

Barack Obama is sworn in as the 44th President Of The United States

Barack Obama arrives to his inauguration as the 44th President of the United States of America at the Capitol today in Washington, DC.

1. dss

I listened to CNN most of the day yesterday while at work. I have to say I was frustrated by certain Reporters criticism of the Inaugural Speech. I don't believe American's are looking for that one phrase that they will remember for the rest of their lives. They want a President that faces the problems directly, communicates effectively and brings us together to work through the problems. The newly elected President communicated effectively, addressing the problems as they exist today. Now we have to execute effectively as a nation.

January 21, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  2. penny

Anderson,
    "It feels really great to have a legitimate president with respect and intelligence. GW BUSH did not have either and did not have enough money to buy . Because those things you can not buy. After being illegitimate, he became a scapegoat and an isolationist for all of the world"

January 21, 2009 at 9:50 am |
  3. Dale

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals." The ideals of our Founding Fathers still light the world, "and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."

"Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please." (Barack Obama, Inauguration Speech, 1/20/09) THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

January 21, 2009 at 9:17 am |
  4. Barry

I just have to ask a question. Why was the color white singled out during the benediction as the only color that was doing something wrong.

"Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around - (laughter) - when yellow will be mellow - (laughter) - when the red man can get ahead, man - (laughter) - and when white will embrace what is right."

I guess I'm glad I'm actually kind of a pinkish-tan....:) We ALL still have a long way to go before we don't see by color... I'm sad....

January 21, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  5. Yvonne B.

I was very moved by the happiness the daughters of the President showed, specially when they gave him the thumbs up. It doesn't always have to be about fashion, it should be about your personality too.

January 21, 2009 at 7:57 am |
  6. scott

I was listen to some people inside the belt way and they were saying the speech was a soo so speech nothing to remember. For myself my wife we thought it was a very good speech what the beltway people need to understand PRESIDENT Obama is the peoples President not the Belway President Wake up people listen to what he is saying Congrats Mr President We support You

January 21, 2009 at 2:30 am |
  7. oliver

Hi , and let me say as 1 little voice and also as a Buddhist, I am very proud that i in Nebraska and my wife who has Fibromyalgia in Colorado, now FINALLY have one or two things to grasp as straws of favor. so who really CARES whether or not the oath was taken correctly. It will never be worse thatn 1/1000th of the issue that the now gone miscreant has done to create wealth for himself alone... and before anyone questions that, look at the logic and do the math

January 21, 2009 at 2:30 am |
  8. Adam R Johnson, B-town MN,

oh and if you listen to the same introduction when she says "ballot over bullet" -Ms Diane Fienstein; a complete denunciation over any form of a violent transition of power is, in my opinion, what she meant you will hear what I believe a divine response to that evil laugh, listen close for the single "WHOOO!". This makes me happy. God bless Obama, his family, and all who had the courage to stand up and vote the right leader. Also God bless those who silently voted Obama in while detesting him in public, don't you worry, I truly feel your children are coming home from war.

January 21, 2009 at 2:29 am |
  9. Pam Quinn

President Obama's speech did not have soundbites, it had substance. This is exactly the change we need!

January 20, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  10. Enrique Perez

If you translate "YES WE CAN" to spanish you get "SI SE PUEDE"(a famous and well known Mexican chant)

January 20, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  11. ken olivo

What bothers me now that we have a new president is all that I hear from democrats is that they now feel that they can get involved in the way the goverment is headed now. Where were they during the last eight years. We as americans can always get involved with our goverment and the way it is run regardless whether the party we support is in power or noy. I personally will still be involved and try to help our new president and country get ahead even tho I am not a democrat. I respect and adore our country no matter which party is in power. I only wish that democrats could feel the same way.

January 20, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  12. Annie Kate

I think Obama keeps stepping on her dress – Michelle certainly has bewitched our new President tonight.

The inauguration was wonderful. Obama would have been President with or without the oath – at noon he became President before the oath was taken – its defined in the Constitution that way. As for Chief Justice Roberts messing up on the oath – just shows we are all fallible and our memories aren't what they used to be.

January 20, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  13. Stella Rastogi

Mr. and Mrs. Obama both look fantastic tonight! What a wonderful day today was. Tomorrow we all look forward to a the beginning of a great era of change.

January 20, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  14. george czechowski

As I was reading President Obama's inaugural speech I noted that he had stated that 44 Americans have taken the oath of the presidency. I think that this assertion may not be correct since Grover Cleveland served two non consecutive terms being the 22nd and the 24th president of the United States. It seems to me therefore that only 43 Americans have taken the oath. Does anyone have any comments concerning this.
    George from Santa Cruz, Ca.

January 20, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  15. Neeraj Sharma

Mr President, you have shown us new ray of hope.
    I got laid off three months ago, with my four year old with a rare disorder.
    He will not have any medical insurance but i still have hope and faith in our 44th President.
    You have show a vision of new America to my 10 year old.

January 20, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  16. Josh Cleveland

Great Day not just for the United States but for every country. This president will be a great man if he can help not just are country but countries that need are help it's important to keep are friends close.

January 20, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  17. Stephany

I don't think Michelle knows how to dance - either that, or her dress is not allowing her to move easily.

January 20, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  18. Larry

Too bad the jumbotron wasn't displaying the stock market; it went down over 300 points; the worst since Dec.1, 2008.

January 20, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  19. Jan Wamsted

Could someone PLEASE give the Obamas something decent to dance to at one of the Inaugural Balls?!?!?

January 20, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  20. Gloria

As this remarkable day marches into history, know that many like minded peoples have celebrated with you...and that we wish President Obama courage, wisdom, and God's blessings in the days ahead.

Gloria
    Valleyview, Alberta
    Canada

January 20, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  21. Kevin

I think this sums up what the citizens of the world think about Barack Obama and the United States today. Here is a comment a friend from Thailand sent to me.

your country so hot for today
    i saw news from last night

January 20, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  22. terry wigfield

THe media coverage of Obama and the inaugeration is nusiating. They make him out as God. Of course the bible said many false prophets will come, at the end of time the greatest will come and the whole world will worship him. I think the bible may be onto something.

January 20, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  23. Larry

When he was being announced by Senator Dianne Feinstein she did not introduce him as the first afican-american president-elect of the united states; simply the president-elect of the united states. Didn't she know it was a day in history? She also called him Barack H. Obama, what a racist thing to say but natural for a white person.

January 20, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  24. Mike R.

I was at the inauguration today and I must say that DC needs to get crowd control worked out. If they knew people at this mass were coming they should of had it worked out better. Does anyone else feel the same way?

January 20, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  25. Dana

The Chief Justice screwed up the Oath of Office, he'll never live that down. But does it call into question whether Barack actually took the Oath??? The Oath is defined in your constitution isn't it?

January 20, 2009 at 10:20 pm |