January 19th, 2009

This feels like Hollywood, not Washington DC

AC360° Correspondent poses with actor Dustin Hoffman at the Huffington Post ball Monday night.

Randi Kaye
AC360° Correspondent

Hi everyone. I'm writing from the Huffington Post ball at the Newseum. It's very cool! The first ever interactive ball. If you're online at home you can log in and talk to folks who are here at the ball. There's a giant computer hanging from the ceiling here as part of the décor, but also computer stations. There are too many celebrities here to count!  We've seen Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman, Sting, Sheryl Crow, Ben Affleck and the list goes on. Sheryl Crow is supposed to perform and so is Sting and Will.I.Am.

The celebs are getting bombarded by the party-goers.  Just chatted with John Cusack. He told me he came because he's a good friend of Arianna Huffington and an Obama supporter. He's also been blogging from the party with folks at home. I also just talked to Dustin Hoffman. We even took a picture together.  John Mellencamp just brushed by me to go outside on the patio and smoke a cigarette. Sting is setting up a table next to us. I've never seen a party like this. Will write more as the night continues. This feels like Hollywood, not Washington DC.

Check out the photo below. It might be blurry, that's definitely actor John Cusack.

Filed under: Behind The Scenes • Inauguration • Randi Kaye • Raw Politics
  1. Sannah Parker

This is so exciting! I cannot wait to see what the future holds for the United States and our new president.

January 20, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  2. jss

I pray for positive changes for us all & hope he commits to his primary renegotiating nafta to bring the jobs back home, stop the bail outs, stop foca killing & abuses to children elderly etc. in my opion is wrong. NAFTA has to change or things will be worse. Recessions been happening for years & years I know my job was outsourced yrs. ago & know of many victims. We pray for positive change & wish him the best & hopefully late night tv etc. won't find the need to make fun of his children as we have seen in the past with Chelsea & Amy. That's wrong, keep them off limits.

January 20, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  3. KIm

Dustin Hoffman ? Woo ! It's great and we love watching !

January 20, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  4. IRON MIKE

WE ARE GOING DOWN THE TUBES BUT WE CAN AFFORD THIS KIND OF CELEBRATION? WHATS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE SEE YOU INN THE SOUP LINE NEXT YEAR WE NEVER LEARN. PROFESSIONAL POLITICIANS SPELL DOOM FOR OUR COUNTRY.

January 20, 2009 at 10:38 am |
  5. Okeoghene Are

Today i woke wit a big smile on my face because the world is going to exprience history in the making and i am glad it was in my generation

January 20, 2009 at 3:46 am |
  6. Linda L, Phillips

Oh My God...I would love to be there. I was watching Anderson on TV and decided to go to his web site for the first time. I was at the Newseum in May and loved it. One of the best museums in DC. The girl they have as their spokesperson, Sonya Gavankar is great.

January 20, 2009 at 3:13 am |
  7. gina

Randi you look like you're having a blast! You only live once!

January 20, 2009 at 2:13 am |
  8. Nicole T

I would like to say Hello to everyone at the ball! I hope everyone is having a great time! Stay warm!!!!!

January 20, 2009 at 1:52 am |
  9. Lindsay A. Desrochers

To the commentator who worried about "Hollywood", not D.C...........please note the importance for the people to celebrate and feel joy at this great and moving moment in U.S. History. We have had so little to be proud of in recent history and now we have a great event which really affirms the American character. So a little purposeful drama, a la Hollywood, at this special time is a good thing.

January 20, 2009 at 1:26 am |
  10. EJ (USA)

Randi – you lucky lady!

January 20, 2009 at 1:01 am |
  11. candi

I have been so touched by all the love and "oneness" at all the events in DC that your fantastic team(Anderson, Soledad, Candy Crowley, Don Lemon, Donna Brazile and David Gergen) has brought to us through great discussions and pictures...It's like being there thanks to you! From Stevie Wonder and Shakira's "Higher Ground" to Bono's memorable "In the name of Love," to James Taylor and John Legend's "Shower the People," the messages were about coming together and working together to bring more love, peace and hope to our world. Barack and Michelle and their girls radiate that love and are our inspiration! Although Rev. MLK didn't live to see today, his spirit is everpresent in all the love and beauty of these three days of Inaugural celebration. Thanks for everything!

January 20, 2009 at 12:48 am |
  12. Zina Patton

Wow! How exilirating to be a part of our inauguration! I certainly wish I could be there to experience the excitement live! However, I am content sitting in my family room taking in all the festivities from Detroit. For those reading this at the Newseum have a fantastic time for those of us who are not fortunate enough to attend. Yes we Can!!

January 20, 2009 at 12:42 am |
  13. Angela Carthron

I wish I could be there in DC to witness history. I can still feel the energy and excitement here at home in West Memphis, Arkansas.

January 20, 2009 at 12:37 am |
  14. Fay - California

Ha! I'm loving Randi's HUGE smile on the pics...I guess her inner fangirl has been unleashed being in the presence of those big stars – have fun out there Randi...

January 20, 2009 at 12:31 am |
  15. Gisselle - Houston TX

OMG Randi, I am so jealous of you right now!

Your pics with Dusting Hoffman and John Cusack are priceless and may I add that John Cusack looks as good today as he did in Say Anything! Ha ha ha, you lucky girl you! Don't party too hard, or heck yea party all night and drink one in my honor! 🙂

January 20, 2009 at 12:04 am |
  16. Victoria Treece

I'm all for celebratory hoopla...especially when "change is a comin'." I promise. I'm probably more excited than you. However, am I the only person who sees these million dollar, champagne induced, confetti falling assemblages as an oxymoronic slap in the face? Financial crisis, people. FINANCIAL CRISIS.

January 20, 2009 at 12:02 am |