January 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/19/09

Want to share your thoughts on tomorrow's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAMv

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sherry

Anderson, it simply amazes me that some people find it hard to see that Barack Obama exemplifies honesty and integrity as an intelligent American man. He just happens to be the person most qualified for the job and Black. They really need to get over it and enjoy the healing of America.

January 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  2. Rick in Arizona

This is really what it means to be a true American! Regardless of who you voted for, regardless of your political agendas, you get really patriotic on Inauguration-eve's!

Anyone who can honestly say they are not not proud or moved by this has to really question where their heart is.

January 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  3. Ireti Adesida from Nigeria

I send my congratulatory message to all Americans, on this great Achievement, I'm proud of the Obama's, Michelle is a great support indeed, a lession for our dear women and I'm proud of the American Dream. It is my prayer that one day "I have a Dream that the World will celebrate the great change that will come to Nigeria". I'm learning and I closely study the unveiling and the development of the motivating "American Dream"

Greeting to the Obama's from a great admirer that respect the family – Ireti Adesida – Nigeria

January 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  4. Renee

Anderson, charming the ladies from CA again!

January 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  5. ericacnn

Where will you all be watching the inauguration? And if any are teachers, do you normally show the ceremonies to your classes, and will you this year?

I was surprised to speak with a good friend's 11 year old tonight, who told me they had not been learning about the Inauguration in class. I seem to remember very involved lessons on civics – the campaigns, how the two-party system developed, voting rights, our own mock election... just seemed strange that they were not learning about it, too.

January 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Lori from IL

Loved the segment on the snipers – very interesting.

Glad you are going two hours tonight, Anderson and 360 crew. The excitement is palpable. How I wish I could be there. Thank you for bringing the "excitement" of this historic moment into our living rooms.

Love the crowd remarks -

January 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  7. Tracy, Ontario, Canada

Great coverage! I don't think any of us is going to be getting much sleep tonight lol!

January 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  8. Maureen, Georgia

Dennis Kucinskas, I aso took the day off & will be glued to watching CNN tomorrow. There isn't enough words to express how excited I am, such a historic day.

January 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  9. Angie

I am soo excited to be able to witness Obama take office. It was an experience for me because on my 44th birthday on November 4,09
    Obama became the 44th president. So everyone that knows how to pray let's say a prayer for him & his family and the United Sates of America.

January 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  10. Clarence Albuquerque

Randi Kaye, you also enjoy yourself... you talked about the Obama move. Hope you get to show your moves.

January 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  11. CaseyJ - Detroit

Wow, transitioning at the white House sounds like conducting a hotel renovation, or getting ready for a VIP. Great fun, actually, and very exciting.

January 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Eric Brown - Scotland

Tomorrow will be a good day for the world. America needs to bring back responsible leadership. Obama has the hopes of billions on his shoulders.

January 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  13. Lea

Well said Tiffany(PA) and often time President Elect made that clear it could take months years and maybe not in the first term.

January 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Nancy Langway - Cape Cod, MA

I watch tonight in awe and feel the anticipation that many Americans must feel.

On the eve of a new inspirational President, we Americans, with so much to give the world, have the challenge to live up to our great country and the men who have sacrificed with honor and commitment –to work for peace and help those in need.

And... we CAN change and we WILL change. Come together right now! With the gifts and courage of our new leader and the hope of a new tomorrow.

Let's go America!

January 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Wow, what a job the Chief Usher has! Great report Randi! Always wonder how the move out of the White House happens. Thanks for teaching me something I didn't know.

January 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Laura--from Columbus, Ohio

Anderson, you don't need to do any fear-mongering about the security that has been set up. This is a new day, and we are safe and sound now. We have the best of men as our President, and he is safe. We are living by love instead of by the sword–and that sort of power and goodness is changing the face of this world.

January 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Juanita Tyler

I live in Woodlawn Md. not to far away from the Nation's Capitol. I did not attend any of the events in Washington because I hate cold wheather and would rather watched the events unfold in the comfort of my home. I stopped in a convience store tonight for a small purchase. There was a White lady there ahead of me, she did not know me nor I her but, we both smiled at each other and of course the conversataion led to the events in Washington namely the swearing in of President elect Obama, we smiled, huged and wished each other well and a good night in parting, The postive spirit and goodwill generated among total strangers related to President elect Obama becoming the leader of the free world says so much about the man. Its like a ray of hope and good spirit much like a rainbow lights up the gray sky aften a recent rain. Any man that can illuminate the spirit of others in such a way ,has got to be good not only for the United states but, for the world.
    When have so many people collectively felt so good about anything of late.

January 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

January 19th, 2009 10:42 pm ET

What time should I start watching coverage tomorrow? Is 9am too late?

No, You will not be late around 9am tomorrow morning...... That's ok to watch Obama on CNN

January 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Antoinette

Anderson,

You are bright & insightful.I am glued to AC360!! You look great!

January 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  20. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

It's amazing that the movers can move that much goods, that fast. It's just hard to imagine what a huge project it all is.

January 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Glen Up North

Dennis, I for one would LOVE to be able to watch, but alas I'll be in rehearsals all day. Perhaps CNN could repeat the broadcast after AC360 tomorrow night (hint, HINT, hint-hint-hint)? 😉

January 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  22. EJ (USA)

Casey J-Detriot, Just the fact that Obama has chosen to identify with his black heritage and they are calling him the “black president” sends a very different message.

I'm sorry but he IS black. Yes everyone knows that his mother is white.

But how come in every other situation he would be black, but now he has to be "half black." He is not one that could have ever "passed" for white. The anchors all know what it means to say he's the 1st Black President. I don't get why so many others don't get it.

January 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  23. Sherrol in Canada

Did anyone watch the inaugual kids concert tonight? Just wondered if you or your children enjoyed it.

January 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

EJ (USA), Whenever people of the same mindset gather together it is inevitable that they will communicate.

January 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  25. Julie Bearden

Barack Obama has UNIFIED this country in a way that has not been done in the history of this country!

So, for "expectations of the in-coming President" let's 1st appreciate what he's done already!

No one "expected" any one person to have accomplised this in 2 short years.

He has at least 53% of us on his side, we just need 47% more and we'd love to have them on our side but we'll be fine with or without them!

January 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  26. Clarence Albuquerque

Michelle, I hope you get your share of lime light. Wear your inaugural gown with pride. It ain't a uniform but will be viewed by millions for generations to come.

January 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  27. CaseyJ - Detroit

"America is inherently a fair and just country and many don’t give us the credit we are due."

@Mike in Syracuse. Bull. We're incredibily provincial and narrow-minded, primarily because of the stranglehold of religious zealouts. And, we're more interested in the "game" of justice than we are in what's right and wrong.

January 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  28. carol kesling

anderson, i put this ceremony right up there with "MOSES PARTING THE RED SEA" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! enough said, god bless us all and the U.S.A. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Renee

@ Dan in TX: My children don't understand what all the fan fare is about a black President either. We have spent the entire day discussing Martin Luther and history and they are like so Mom who cares if he is black? In their mind they are color-blind. Now sex is another issue. My 5 year old daughter was shocked their hasn't been a Mom as a President.

January 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Joyce from colorado springs, colorado

I would like to share a poem.

Peace to the World

We have come a long way. We have fought the storm, we have struggled. We have watched some die. But we have fought the storm and soared like an eagle. We have touched the skies with unity. We can show the world that we have come together and claimed the victory. Now let the world come together like music in perfect harmony. Let's bring peace to the world.

January 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  31. Mary

Hello Anderson,
    CNN's coverage has been spectacular and so well presented.
    Great team reporters!
    Just one suggestion: Please ease off on the specific times of events for tomorrow's inauguration.
    This historical event is so exciting to everyone, that if every minute is already laid out, it takes away from the surprise and expectations.... in addition for safety reasons as well.
    Thank you!

January 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  32. Terry G., Manchester, NH

Hi Anderson, Great coverage today and looking forward to tomorrow for those of us that could not get tickets or make it in person. We worked for months on the campaign in NH and am so proud of Obama and his family. The most exciting time in our history; The beginning of a new, intelligent administration that we are hopeful will restore our economy, jobs in America, and end 8 years of a war that has devastated our country and taken taxpayer dollars away from our communities. God Bless the Obama Administration for bringing Hope to America once again.Thanks for your coverage to all Americans. Terry

January 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo David Gergen!!
    I agree with you too, I am so inspiring that people talked to reporters and including Anderson tooo....... It is so awesome people in National Mall!

January 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  34. Kristin - Buffalo, NY

To Ashley – Hamlin, NY: I completely agree. Hope is important, but taking any possible action to support hope is crucial. If we want a better country, we need to make it happen on the small-scale while we elect people we trust to oversee the large-scale.

35. Michelle Brown in Los Angeles - Obama Fan

What did you folks do for service today? I cleaned my landlords kitchen after she prepared dinner for us. She is 86 and alone. It was a marvelous day.

36. kenny

I'm a child of the fifties who grew up in the north and the south. I'm truly proud as an American that a mojority electorate recognized that this country needed a new direction and trusted a man of intelligence without regard to his color to lead us... is awesome.

37. serena-LA

Thanks very much for making it possiable for viewers to see history up close from home.The start of Change inspired ppl from every where.we are ready and behind The New first family!Go Mr. Obama

38. Mary from Florida

Thanks Anderson, for talking with the folks there with you. How wonderful to hear the excitement and hope in their young voices! I wish I could be there too. We're keeping the kids home from school tomorrow though, and watching this historic moment as a family. Great coverage. Where is David's cool hat tonight?

39. Nancy

Today I am so proud to be an American. Four years ago my brother told me about this wonderful young man, Obama, whom he thought would change the country and our way of thinking. God bless you, Barak Obama, for having the courage to face all the odds and to stick with it to the end. We finally have an intelligent, well-spoken president elect with a compassion for the middle and lower class of Americans and who will, I believe, make things happen. I am a white middle-class American, raised in the sixties, who will probably cry at the inauguration as I watch on TV. I am also a teacher who, I pray, can instill in my students the magnitude of this moment and the promises that lie ahead.

40. Livia Lysz

The new president has a very "sincere" smile, and he puts smiles on everybody's face (very noticeable)
    Well, some say that "smiling" heals...and we need that so "badly"... 2009 is the year for "innovation" – USA is "thy" powerful place on this planet (role model!?!?) -so, it makes sense it should start from you...My wish is that "peace" stay still...
    congratulations!!

41. Glenn from Tampa, FL

I cannot tell you the excitement is not only in D.C. but also around the world. To me Barack Obama has ignited a feeling within people that change is possible.

42. sherly cledo

hello guys, i am so delighted to see the dream come true.

43. mike

Nothing will change. Everyone is getting excited about nothing. The incoming president and the democratic party are spending 160 million dollars on the inauguration. And the economy is in shambles. Just another politician thinking about himself. Business as usual in Washington. Shameful.

44. EJ (USA)

Thanks for your comment David Gergen.

I agree that we are awesome individuals.

45. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Ashley, you took the words right out of my mouth! PE Obama can't do it alone we have to be the United States of America. To quote Ghandi, I believe, (if memory serves) 'We have to be the change we wish to see in the world.' I believe that it starts with us.

Mr. Gergen...there is no doubt in my mind that you will live up to our expectations tomorrow! 🙂

46. Glen Up North

Glenn – I missed that! Thanks for bringing that up: that event is full of meaning. I'm sure Springsteen was also beaming with joy that one of his heroes was finally accepted by the US government. 😀

January 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  47. Lorie

I am a 49 year old African-American woman who didn't think I would ever see an African-American president in my lifetime. Although this event is monumental, and brings me tremendous joy, this presidential nomination only connects a few dots to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream. We still have a ways to go in regards to racism in this country. There are still educational inequalities, neighborhood disparities, and white supremist.

January 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Casey J-Detriot, Just the fact that Obama has chosen to identify with his black heritage and they are calling him the "black president" sends a very different message.

January 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  49. Cecilia

Anderson your show is the best on TV.

January 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  50. ashby

Anderson, CNN –

Some think I am crazy, but this is history and i am not working – just watching, listening, and absorbing all the history that is unfolding – Wow....a proud, proud, proud moment for this country. I find myself crying...so proud.

January 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |