January 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/19/09

Want to share your thoughts on tomorrow's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAMv

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Maureen, Georgia

PE Obama needs a lot of protection, because there are a lot of haters out there. Everyone needs to pray for the protection of the Obama family.

January 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  2. EJ (USA)

What time should I start watching coverage tomorrow? Is 9am too late?

January 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  3. rupa

tonight i envy your job...

January 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Can someone give Anderson a heating pad to put over his face during breaks?

EJ
    He will give heating pad to him now....

January 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  5. Teresa K

WE TOOK it!! We should be very proud!! I am proud that having taught my 9 year old and 14 year old that people are people and that we do not see what color they are, or how they dress or how they talk, but what they have to offer as a person. This unauguration proves that we as Americans have come together. Good Luck Mr. Obama and may God lead you in your contiuned direction as you pull America together even more. God Speed!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Maureen T

Please keep President Elect Obama safe!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  7. kathy

It's so great to witness history in the making and witness America's renewal of hope. Constructive change is positive... Dr. King's sacrifice and President-Elect Obama's message of hope is invigorating and what we need in these perilous times... I'm am so happy to witness this historic moment...

January 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  8. Glen Up North

Vincent – Well, that's because I'm pretty sure we all feel as the old Ray Charles-sung ad goes: "You got the right one, baby." Congrats on getting Obama as president! 🙂

January 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  9. Dennis Kucinskas

Hey Anderson,

I can't be in DC in person, but I'm taking the day off tomorrow to watch CNN and the historic swearing in of Barack Obama as the 44th President of the US. I'm displaying my Obama/Biden campaign posters again out on my front lawn. How many others are taking the day off and celebrating by watching CNN?

January 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Linda

God bless President Obama and his family. This is a great time for all Americans. Be proud.

January 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  11. Keeath

You know anderson, having grown up in Mississippi, and experiencing the racial prejudice first hand. Segregated prom, communitie facilities for whites only, I am filled with joy with what this country has done.

January 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  12. Gail Medlin

As a college student of the sixties,I remember well the discord of that time and pray that we can leave those sad years behind. I am a proud "new" democrat who heard of Mr. Obama for the first time only four years ago. After teaching school for 19 years and teaching Dr. King's speech as the poetry it beautifully presents,I cannot wait to see how it is brought to life by the energetic,energized,and thoughtful young man leading our country. Please show that the enthusiasm is felt by all of us–not just young African-Americans. I am a 59year old white woman who wishes she could be in a tent on the Mall waiting to see history take place tomorrow! The joy in this victory is felt by many American of all ages,all economic groups,and ALL races! Change has come!!!!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  13. Don

Thanks, Anderson, Erica, Jamal and CNN associates for providing great objective coverage of such an historic and wonderful event. I have been practically glued to CNN for the last day and a half.

I'm a 60+ white guy who, for the first time in my adult life, did pre-election canvassing (for Barack's campaign) because it is so critical for US to significantly change direction, both internally and as a world citizen.

January 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  14. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

"...on the cusp of history."

Can it be said any better? Kudos, CNN. Besides actually being there, I can't imagine a better way to bring in this new dawn of history than with you guys steering the ship.

Amazing coverage as always.

January 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  15. Clarence Albuquerque

The counter snipers are a great bit of information. Very inspirational and encouraging. Thanks guys and gals.

January 19, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  16. Sherrol in Canada

WOW, Snipers!!! Hopefully they won't be needed, but thank God they're there if they are.

January 19, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  17. Clinton D'Souza

On Tuesday America comes back to the nation of states after being away 8 years welcome back.

Your neighbours from Canada

January 19, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  18. Dag-MO

Anderson: DC is very cold. Might want to put a coat on before you freeze.

January 19, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

One of the many highlights from the coverage this weekend was the crowd exercising to keep warm in Baltimore waiting for the Obama Express on Saturday. Seeing the entire crowd doing side stretches and jumping jacks was pretty cool looking! It would be a good candidate for "The Shot"....

January 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  20. Tiffany (PA)

I am wishing the best for our new soon to be president! With that said, I hope that everyone understands that he is still only human. I am fearful that he has been put up on a pedestal so high that there is no where to go but down. We need to remember to be patient, because change won't happen overnight, and patience is something that America has lacked in the past.

January 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  21. Glenn

The coverage has been great. I haven't left the house for the last three days. Tears of joy each day. What a great time to be an American.
    I thought the most poignant moment of the We Are One concert was missed by most. To see Pete Seeger who is probably the greatest living American Patriot take the stage at such an important moment in our history to sing This Land Is Your Land was just so right. Finally the man jailed by the House Committee On UnAmerican Activities was embraced by the very government who oppressed him was long in coming.

January 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  22. debi from columbus, ohio

Tomorrow will be a good day for all America. God Speed to the President and Vice President.

January 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  23. serena-LA

Thanks very much for making it possiable for viewers to see history up close from home.The start of Change inspired ppl from every where.

January 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  24. Koko Kansas

Rock Chalk Brack!!!! I wish all that are there to be safe and Have a Great time. Yell out a whooo for me.

January 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  25. Dorothy-CA

mesty – congratulations on becoming a citizen tomorrow.

January 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  26. Anissa

Would love to see more of what the "world" is saying about the inauguraiton... the good and the bad. Thanks.

January 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  27. Atefeh-Harrisburg

Janet-I have often brought that up but have yet to hear a convincing reason why...Regardless, this is such a wonderful moment in our country's history...

January 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  28. Evelia

Anderson,everyone is talking about the racism and discrimination felt here in the U.S until the Civil Rights movement.I was born in the Canal Zone (Panama) and the same problems that the african-americans were going through here,were also taking place there.Kennedy and Martin Luther king's death were met with great grieve and consternation.My husband is a retired military man and I'm a retired history teacher.Obama's election,I can tell you will do a lot for the students that I taught at a predominantly black school.These students,especially the males saw no hope for the future.They always expressed helplesness.Encouraging them was a daily task and keeping the pressure on them to excel was a constant chore.Today I feel vindicated for I knew,and I told them that perseverance,hard work and a dedication to hard study will pay off sooner or later.I wish my father was alive to see this day;he would have been elated.Keep up the good work Anderson.

January 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  29. vincent

I've been reading through the blogs and there are so many from Canada and at least one from India. It's not only great that American celebrates, but it seems the world celebrates with us too!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  30. Ireti Adesida from Nigeria

This is a great moment in our lives
    It gives me hope and faith that if it
    can happen in America through an
    African American, I believe change
    will happen in Nigeria.
    It also motivates me that I can
    do something outstandingly
    to make a difference in our
    world

January 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  31. Dorie

I think President Elect Obama should have refused to let them spend all those millions for his inauguration I see the change he is bringing is to waste more money than ever

January 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  32. Marla

Will-I-Am killed Bob Marley's song they sould've had Damian Marley sing it.

Hey Anderson!

January 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  33. dan in texas

Its funny,my 13 year old daughter dose not seem to really " get it " and i mean that with a smile so much of this new genaration does not see black or white just in all colors as it should be.what a blessing not to mention her parents( myself and my wonderful wife) raising her that way hope all children have that same chance.sorry for rambling on its just a great time to be alive.Blessings to all

January 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  34. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

"I have a dream" doesn't end with King, everyone. I hope we all know that PE Obama cannot change this country, let alone this world, all by himself. I find it truly remarkable that on MLK day he took time to dig into some community service.

I challenge anyone who is even slightly uplifted and hopeful because of this new era in our history to reach out and help someone. It doesn't have to be something that will leave you homeless or something that sucks up all your free time.

Volunteer. Read to children. Hold the door open for someone. Serve food at a shelter. Just do MORE than what you are. Together, as a nation, we can change the world.

January 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  35. Don, WA

It will be a good tide tomorrow.

January 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  36. Cortney G.

I hope everyone enjoys tomorrow. This is a wonderful moment in our time. This is apart of history that our children will be reading in there text books, There are few times in a persons life that a person can remember where they were when something took place, this is one of them....

January 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  37. Charly

Good to see David Gergen tonight; he always brings insight to the discussion. BTW, he really looked quite sexy in his hat the other night. I really miss the hat David.

January 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Rich,
    Yes, That's right....... Tim Russert will be here his spirit and right, He will not see Obama's under oath tomorrow...... we missed Tim Russert.

January 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  39. Dan

i am currently viewing CNN from my living room in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. I am so proud for all americans and wish to share your joy and happiness up north. i wish to join america to be of service to my community, to my family, to my own country ... what a new beginning this is. congrats

January 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  40. Sherrol in Canada

I don't see $160 million as being frivolous at all. Let's keep in mind that most of the funds came from private citizens, Many, many folks that can (more than) afford it, contributed $50,000 each.

Sit back, or head down to the Mall and enjoy it folks!!! It only happens every four years and the first for an African American...Yahoo!

January 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  41. Greg, Austin Tx

Thanks for the concert clips. I completely missed it all. I've not seen any of the performances until this show. Good stuff.

January 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  42. Caleb

I'm a liberal conservative living in DC. I look forward to attending the inauguration tomorrow. Mr. Obama has inspired many, and has the opportunity to become the greatest President since FDR. May God bless him!

January 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  43. Stephen Wilkerson Maryland

Anderson,

I don't think the Galaxy has seen a celebration like this since the Ewoks celebrated the death of Darth Vader. Hopefully, the Republicans will “get it;” but I doubt it…..

Drew

January 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  44. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Reading your comments tonight is an inspiration. You are putting into words the electricity that so many of us who are privileged to be in Washington tonight are feeling in the air. We look forward to sharing the day with you tomorrow and hope that we can live up to your expectations.

January 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  45. Rose Marie

The most wonderful thing about this election is that it confirmed that the United States is still the country I grew up believing it was...not perfect, but full of good people who would do the right thing, who really believed in caring for the weak, educating everyone, acting with integrity, fighting oppression, and most important settng the good example for the world – not in arrogance or pride, but simply because we follow our hearts. i believe everyone knows in their hearts what is right, but for a while I feared too many of us had lost the courage to follow our hearts. Sometimes your heart may lead you where your brain would not go, but there are times when that risk is worthwhile – America followed her heart in electing this president. Leading with your heart is what has brought us this far, and I believe it will take us where we need to go. Tonight I am so proud of US.

January 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  46. Brandi - bottom of the boot

that was a good performance!

January 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  47. Rikki, Fargo, ND

That photo-synth technology is quite possibly the coolest bit of technology that I have ever seen!

Ok so I'm a bit of a self-proclaimed political junkie...but even listening to the schedule for tomorrow gave my goose bumps!

January 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  48. Keeath

I have spent the day with my family, watching the festivities. It is a special time in america. I am proud of my country.

January 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  49. Lisa L

I'm Proud to be an American Today, Tomorow, and forever. This week it's all about Obama next week will be all about the SUPER BOWL. I think everyone should stop and say a very special prayer for our First Family. And let's all celebrate in the streets of Richmond Virginia. We are bringing DC to Richmond please join us CNN.

January 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  50. Celia

Hey AC, you have beautiful hair but put on a hat...and some ear muffs...don't get sick!!!!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |