January 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/19/09

Want to share your thoughts on tomorrow's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAMv

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. EJ (USA)

Can someone give Anderson a heating pad to put over his face during breaks?

January 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  2. Clarence Albuquerque

I was reading today how George Washington loved to go celebrations and especially dancing. Barak, enjoy.

January 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  3. Teresa K

Well here we are on the Eve of History making. May the middle class people of America and the less fortunate of America finally become Equal with all Americas. May we finally have a doctor to see, a child to graduate from college, a doctor to see to help us live long enough to see our grandchildren grow. May we not pretend that mircales are made over night – but may we realize the change that has already taken place in America in the last year. For once we did not see color we saw a bettere way of life being offered and

January 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  4. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I think CNN's idea to capture all the photos at "the moment" tomorrow and use Photosynth to put them all together is great! Can't wait to see the result. CNN always seems to unveil the new trendy tech stuff don't they?

January 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  5. ken

I am writing from Ontario Canada to tell you that we are so proud of Obama becoming your 44th President. God bless America, Obama and Joe Biden and everyone in the good old U.S.A. We love you and are also very proud that Obama chose Canada as his first official state visit after he takes office. God bless.

January 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  6. Kathy, Chicago

Tom Forman's segment is great. I've never watched an inauguration and I will miss tomorrows. I love his maps. I have to work tomorrow. I bet I'll see recaps all night !

January 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  7. Frank, New York

We are so lucky, as Americans, to be part of this historic moment in political history. Our soon to be President, Barack Obama, encapsulates the best qualities and ideals of Abraham Lincoln, Franklin D. Roosevelt and John F. Kennedy. Let us join with him, united as a nation and take part in the rebuilding of this great country!

January 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  8. Bridget King

hi... we just want to congratulations to Barrack Obama...And letting you know that not just America is watching and expecting a lot from you...all the best to you and tour team!!!

Bridget King from St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

January 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  9. Philip

Hi Anderson, Its really great to see our nation so elated and hopeful again,. Ignorance is becoming a dying breed and the birth of hope and change has arrived . We still have allot of work to do but its great to see the work is in progress.

January 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  10. mike omalley

Anderson,

I have walked outside tonight over and over and I have yet to see the blood red moon. I was always told that the moon would be blood red right before the second coming. With the inaguration of Barack Obama being Tuesday, I expected to see this spectacular sight!

Great show!

January 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Barbara

I think everything that is happening is great! But with all the hoopla and interviews about Martin Luther King changing America and Obama changing America and all the comparisons etc. I hope someone is watching for that one crazy racist who wants to make a name for himself and makes an attempt on his life. It seems all the good guys who try for a change end up assasinated! I don't want to see that again in my lifetime. I have already already seen that with JFK, MLK, and RFK.

January 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  12. CaseyJ - Detroit

"... doubt that anyone cares about the 48 percent that did not vote for Obama. I am sure they (we) are of little importance to this new administration."

JoAnn, I absolutely disagree (and I have been left out). I think Obama has already proved you're very important. He's a bridge builder.

January 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  13. valerie from Canada

The coverage is FANTASTIC! I love the interactive map being shown on TV.

January 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Neicey in Ohio

Im still shock... can't wait until high noon tomorrow.

January 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  15. victor

As a member of the military, I am very proud to call Obama my commander in chief and i know that he will do great things not just for this country but for people all over the world who's hope was lost for the last 8 years.

January 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Clarence Albuquerque

Thank you for the play by play of things to come.

January 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Rich, Boston

Thank you Chris for your service....I have never been in the military...but your service and all those in our armed forces is truly appreciated for the freedoms we demonstrated on election day Nov, 4, 2008.......Thank you!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  18. dawn

What a wonderful celebration all weekend

19. Jeannine

I see a change already. I live in Mississippi and the joyous feeling is as palpable as the cold. All people are united under the flag, not by state or by race. Thank God!

20. Rodrigo Craveiro

I think this is the most incredible moment of USA history and even of the world. I am proud of seeing an afroamerican being the president of your nation after this disastrous Bush’s government. Mr. Martin Luther King Jr. probably is satisfied with your choose. Congratulations from Brazil!

21. Laarni Abling, Toronto

Hi Anderson & Crew ! Congratulations in advance to another amazing coverage of this historic event that's about to unfold before our very eyes. Thanks a lot and more power!

22. Vanessa, El Paso,TX

I really love CNN's coverage on the inauguration of President Obama i can't look away. I feel if I look away I'm gonna miss something! KUDOS CNN great job and keep it up I'm just SOO excited

23. dr.g. narahari on visit to us from india

An exciting and historic event allover thje globe. It is a victory over suppresion and slavery of humanity.My special congrats to the Ameri
    can people for elcting an African American as their President.Americans demonstrated their conviction that there is no racial discrimination in US.

It is believed that Obama strives for Global Peace . MY hearty congrats and compliments to the american nation on this auspicious and significant event.

It

24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Minou!!!

25. Fran

Anderson, if you get hypothermia, who will bring us the news?

Fox Shepard? Somehow I doubt it.

26. Maria

Hey Anderson,

Greetings from 80 degrees in sunny Puerto Rico USA caribbean, we watch you and thanks for your program...I love ya!

27. Bob

Anderson. Have heard a ton about other countires but nothing about your neighbour to the north. We are your combat allies in Afghanistan while other nations hide behind their camp perimeters. Canadians are blown away by the election of an african-american president and tons of my countrymen have headed to Washington to be part of this occassion. God Bless Barack and the task he faces.

28. Alex

Hello from other side of the world, I am happy to report that this is not just an American landmark but a global one. Hope has been born again . Although I did not vote for him, he is my president and i will do all in my power to see his agenda of repair carried through and change that hope to action, Yes we can" , to the out going president and vice president , hope you guys are ashamed of the accomplishments you made, most despot governments ruled by barely educated dictators have archived better so.. "good riddance to bad rubbish"

29. Michael

My prayers and Best Wishes to the President Elect and his Family. For the sake of our nation, I wish him every success.

30. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Vig, I disagree. I'm not particularly young and I believe I will see the first female President, just as I never doubted I'd see a black President. Frankly this hype is over the top. America is inherently a fair and just country and many don't give us the credit we are due.

31. Reggie

Considering the cost of the event, even though privately funded, I'm glad to see that Team Obama has announced that "this is as much about work as celebration," and has arranged for vans to shuttle staff to their office buildings tomorrow, immediately after the swearing in. Sends a message to partly address the criticism of the "Big Party."

32. Michelle Brown in Los Angeles - Obama Fan

The fact that the security around Obama and is beautiful family is so high, snipers and all, shows we still have a long way to go. However, I am throughly excited about where we are today. We should all take a moment a pray for the safety of this man. We need him, as much as he need us. God,I am so proud, .

Thats Johns Board, get off (laugh) Okay, I need to practice sharing- I am getting territorial.(laugh)

33. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Ken – thanks for your warm wishes and happy birthday!

I think that for once the majority of Americans don't feel as though the entire world is laughing at us.

34. myles glasgow

Patriotism demands abandoning divisive politics and clearly recognizing today's facts and how they are different from the facts of Jan. 1, 2001 and Jan 1, 2005. Divisive politics are Republicans refusing to engage in deficit spending now, after they have put the government and country in a huge economic hole after 8 years of deficit spending that fed the fat cats and impoverished american workers and businesses. The voters chose unity and Republicans should too, regardless of differences, in the interest of holding our society together during these terrible times and building a base for a 35 or 50 year slow growth process based on family togetherness, housing stability, dedicated education, community safety, economic inventiveness and opportunities, forgiveness of historical wounds, discovering each one in the lives of the other.

Myles

35. Glen Up North

I agree with Deborah: were anything of such magnitude to occur in Canada, we'd have it on our national TV station. Bar the USA having their own government-funded station, all TV stations should be allowed to film (although I guess it would be a logistical nightmare...).

Bruce Springsteen on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial: rock on!

36. jim crill

My hope for the benefit of all Americans is that President Elect Obama presides over the United States fairly, justly, and stands strong against self centered interests and actually seeks the best interest for the nation. And that he consider removing troops from some of the 130 nations where we have them stationed which could save from a fraction of a trillion/year or more.

37. Susie Huffington

Under the Republican Administration, President Bush put this country in the state that it is in now. Towards the end of his term, he bails out all his buddies at the expense of poor people. We are the ones that will suffer til this economy gets on its feet. My question is why would the Republicans have a problem signing off on the stimulus packet that is needed to get the ecomony on its feet, once Barack Obama assumes office? Barack is trying to void mahem which will be the result if this economy is allowed to worsen.

38. Bonny

Hi Anderson,

I just wanted to say that the election of president-elect, Barak Obama symbolises two great things.
    First, it' s a practical fulfilment of the prophesy of the " DREAM" that was conceived some four decades ago
    Second,it's a prove to the whole world that the American people are now more united than the United States Of America.

39. Eva

I am asking God to protect our President and Ms. Bush who will be leaving public service. I wish to thank them for giving of themselves to serve this great country! I think the nation owes them that.
    I have also prayed that God will give President Elect Obama wisdom to lead this country during difficult times and to be guided by the spirit to make those good decisions. I ask also that God blesses his family that they may be good leaders along with President Elect Obama.
    Our country has spoken and the "torch passes to a new generation of Americans" . May we receive that challenge and support our new president as he represents the USA. God bless America...still one of the greatest countries in the world.

40. Julie Bearden

What with all of the "expectations?"

This man has done more to bring a sense of oneness and an essential lesson in non-partisan governing when America is in such peril as opposed to that old party first nonsense.

He's done more in 2 years than others have done in 40 years- for ALL Americans. This is an ALL American victory- not a hyphenated American victory!

4 more years of the past 8 might have destroyed American beyond repair...He's made a huge difference already no matter what happens afterwards.
    Let's get on with being the kind of people we should have been and can be.

From a 67 year old American with Black skin!!

41. ciara Stafford township, NJ

I am so proud to be an American, finally equality for the all. MLK is looking down from heaven with a smile....our first black president......... looking forward to tomorrow......God Bless the United States of
    America.,

42. EJ (USA)

What does Anderson mean by “everyone is talking to each other?” Didn’t people talk to one another during the previous inaugurations?

He simply meant that this is an historic and remarkable time in American history – and people want to be a part of it and talk to each other about what it all means for America.

January 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  43. Francine Lang

Greetings from Montréal, Canada.
    I am thrilled at the thought that we are living a great moment in history. It is a time to rejoice and let us always remember that without hope there is no future! Best wishes Mr President.
    Great coverage Anderson and you are looking good...where is your scarf????LOL

January 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  44. Anya

Now that we our hope is restored and we can affirm the possibilities, there are no more excuses. Our children can reach the highest mountain.

January 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  45. Joy (Vancouver Island)

I wish I could express what is in my heart for this man who transcends all boundaries. There are many Canadians who are looking to President Elect Obama to change their lives as well. Thanks for the great coverage and for making us up here in the great white north feel as if we are truly a part of this momentus occasion.

January 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  46. Maureen, Georgia

I hope the commradere that I see now continues after the inaugeration, or am I just dreaming? It is great to see how everybody is getting along.

January 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  47. dawn

I wish i could be there, history in the making. thank god these 8 years are behind us, it is time to celebrate and move forward and stop the pain that we have been living in during the bush administration

January 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  48. Chris

Anderson, after 24 years in the Marine Corps I shed a tear. This is the most uplifting period in our country that I have ever seen, I serve this country of ours and I feel blessed to see this day. Times have changed but not completely. Because I know the dissidents of hate are stll out there. I wasn't born in this country. But It is the only one I know. I love this country, and I congratulate President elect Obama.

January 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  49. David, Indiana

Rikki, I have to admit I wish I were there too.

Such a enjoyable discussion w/ David, Alex, and Jamaal. I agree with Jamaal, we can go back to work Tuesday afternoon. Wow that's fast, maybe Wednesday morning would be better.

January 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  50. Britt Hayne

I´am glued to the T.V, so happy to see Obama be the 44th President tomorrow,I,m sure he will change the world, we sure need him. I wish I could have been in Washington to see this historic day. I just returned from my , native land of Norway,and all the country are looking forward to a big change in Europe, It has never been this much interest in American politics, since the Kennedy,s years. I am a big suporter, of Obama and I wish him well,and pray for his safty,and his success of his administration.Sincerley Britt Hayne, Bethany,Ontario Canada

January 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |