January 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/19/09

Want to share your thoughts on tomorrow's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAMv

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. vera

If no wheelchairs are alllowed at the inaugural why is vp Chaney being allowed to bring a wheelchair. Why does'n he just stay home?

January 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  2. Barbara in Boston

It's great that you're doing the show from the Mall, but ...
    Please put something on those guys heads. Anderson's and Gary's ears are so red, they're nearly flourescent.

January 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  3. Sonja

What a wonderful time for our country! May God bless President-elect Obama and his family tomorrow....looking forward to watching the inauguraton and festivities that follow.

January 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  4. Lisa Columbus, Ohio

Anderson,

You're looking good.

Ciao mate.

January 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  5. Joachim P Bonnetrouge

Anderson Cooper @ CNN

Our eyes too are turned to our southern neighbour as they prepare to accept Obama into one of the greatest history turning point of mankind. We here in the northern Canada are also so full of hope and prayers for Obama/Biden, their families and speciall prayers for all citiziens of United States.

We may not all agree on recent U.S. politics but today we are pround to be neighbours of a country, a people that has a tremendous chance to accept change and lead to good future for all our children.

Stay close to the Creator.

'Stay Calm. Be Brave. Wait for the Signs"

Mahsicho

Joachim P Bonnetrouge
    Fort Providence, NT X0E 0L0 Canada

Phone (867) 699-3502

January 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  6. Jacqueline, NY

Abram-Maryland January 19th, 2009 10:13 pm ET

I have a freakin’ job interview tomorrow at 12:00!!!!! Should I go??

"Freakin" job interview?! I wish I had an interview to go to tomorrow or when ever. Now you go to that interview, and GET THAT JOB!

7. Clarence Albuquerque

I've pretty much stuck to CNN for coverage and am curious about what other networks are covering, including those from other countries.

8. Rodrigo Craveiro

I think this is the most incredible moment of USA history and even of the world. I am proud of seeing an afroamerican being the president of your nation after this disastrous Bush's government. Mr. Martin Luther King Jr. probably is satisfied with your choose. Congratulations for Brazil!

9. Antoinette

Anderson,

Welcome back to AC360! I have missed you but enjoyed watching your weekend coverage. Thanks for all of your great work!

10. Kristin - Buffalo, NY

Hi everyone, happy Martin Luther King Day...hope you're all staying warm and getting excited for tomorrow's events, especially if you're lucky enough to be witnessing it in person.

Thank you to the many Canadians who have commented tonight to express your support for President-Elect Obama - I know some Americans take your country's support for granted, but it's meaningful, and I appreciate it.

11. Sean Hawkins

The Inaugration will bring tears to so many eyes because of all the people that have paved the way for this day we have come along way this is what Dr. King die for he would be happy to see this day Iam sure he is smile down on us.

12. Nancy

I love hearing from Erica about the positivity in the air...for so long we have been gasping for that kind of air...I'm hoping it will last for at least a little while.

13. Lori from IL

Not suprised, but saddened to hear about an increase in chatter from white supremacy groups. This only reiterates what PE Obama has been saying - this is not the end, but only the beginning.

Anderson, I love it when you talk to people in the crowd. Great show so far –

14. Bobbi

It's cold here in Kentucky, but my heart is warm as I enjoy CNN's great coverage of this momentous occasion.

15. Sherrol in Canada

There are two men that bring me to tears everytime I see any type of footeage about them and they are.....................................................

Nelson Mandela and Dr Martin Luther King Jr.

The inner wisdom, compassion, vision and natural goodness of these men just totally overwhelm me...........and now Barack Obama is added to that list.

16. Rick

Anderson....it just seems like everyone is having a great time just being there. I feel chills when I see the excitement and the millions of people that are so inspired to be a part of the history making event. I hope they stay inspired and are motivated to do what it takes to make the changes.

17. Genie Hill

Many thanks for the dignity, respect, keen insight and brilliant
    commentary that CNN has presented throughout the election and
    much awaited Inauguration. This is an absolutely thrilling
    event in our history and I feel so richly blessed to be alive and to share in the excitement !

18. Louise M.

I'm a 55 year old African American female who witnessed first-hand the disparities among blacks and whites in Selma, AL. I am captivated my the whole experience of this historical transition of power of our great country to the 1st African American Black man. It's Awesome and it has invigorated by beliefs that we all need to become more engaged to do something! Just awesome!

19. niwat, Chicago

Hi AC and AC360 crew,

What a great Inauguration eve! and seeing everyone with our anchor Anderson en capitol field is an invaluable moment..yeah 2 full-hours program.

By the way, now that the Hamas Conflict seems to be over, will Nick Robinson get a chance to celebrate inauguration in the States?

20. danny Ok.

this is the best time i ever had in my life. i am not able to attend the inauguration, but the whole day tomorrow will be on TV following the inauguration!!
    the world is becoming a better place!!!

21. Rich, Boston

Change starts at home......President-elect Obama did a great job helping at a teenage homeless shelter yesterday.

22. Norma Kotowski

I have been glued to CNN,ie, TV for 3 days. I am a 77 yr. old white woman who has supported Obama since the first time I saw him speak on TV. I have lived in Republican Texas for 4 years but formerly from a Republican town in Connecticut. I am a Democrat but an open-minded one. I am praying for Obama.

23. Janet

President Obama and Mrs. Obama will attend 10 Balls, does anyone know how many times she will change gowns?

Cedar Hill, Texas

24. ken

I am sending this note from Ontario Canada and am also celebrating my 66th birthday today and I am so proud to be a neighbour of the United States of America and the history that is being made in your County tomorrow morning, with the inaugeration of Obama as your 44th President. God bless America and we here in Canada, can hardly wait for this to visit our wonderful country as well.

25. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

It's refreshing to hear that the people there in DC are united and have a sense of community and service. The big question is whether that spirit will continue come Wednesday!

26. Gary - Scranton Pa

Greetings from Joe Biden's birthplace and Hillary's summer home! To quote Prez. Gerald Ford, "the long national nightmare is over." Now let's stop bickering over the cost and enjoy the moment. After the last 8yrs of darkness, let's step into the light and celebrate!!!

27. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Rich – Oh, how right you are. My heart aches that such news giants as Russert and Jennings were not able to be here for this event. They both would have loved to report on such history...

28. Cathy Kopec from Rhode Island

I absolutely remember hearing an interview with Obama (I don't remember who with) where he said that he asked Joe Biden if he would rather be VP or Sec. of State. I haven't heard anyone mention that. Doesn't anyone else remember that?

29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

What does Anderson mean by "everyone is talking to each other?" Didn't people talk to one another during the previous inaugurations?

30. Maureen T

And until the colour of a man's skin is no more signifcant than the colour of his eyes...the proof in the pudding is President Elect Barack Obama!! Change is gonna come!

31. Vig

All this pageantry and love fest – how is the man to be criticized and tested by the masses? I hope the populace doesn't entrap itself by elevating Obama to some sort of untouchable, defeating descent. That would be ironic indeed. I also wonder if there would be so much celebration and over the top exaltation if this would have been the first female instead of male – black or white, President. We will never know – not in any of our lifetimes.

32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

kim January 19th, 2009 10:20 pm ET

Thank you Anderson for making me feel like I’m there!!!!!

You're right Kim!!!!!! he knows that you feel like you will be there as I! 🙂

33. Lisa

A.C.

It looks like everyone is having a great time there in D.C. I really wish I could be there.

January 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  34. Leslie

This occasion is truly wonderful for our country...but let's face it-$160 million or more is frivolous in the time of economic dispair. Wake up people and let's see the change. And I hope we can!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  35. Mari T

It is great that you are showing the people's anticipation, although it's freezing! Thank you for your show and take care for you nose!

January 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  36. Valerie

Just wondering why why reporters are "quoting" what Martin Luther King Jr. said years ago, they do not repeat his words and substitute " african American" where MLK said negro. I know it is politically correct to say african american, but if we are to really honour the man, shouldn't we use his exact words?

January 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  37. debra ramirez

me and my 80 year old mom are so happy to be alive to see the first black president of the united states of america. we thank you cnn for helping us to see and share in this exciting event. we could not go to washington, so you all brought washinton to us. now i feel that we as a people of thunited states of america are married as one. thank you!

January 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  38. jak mento

Obama is of the people and for the people....period. That's why we elected him and why we celebrate...it is all of us realizing our true power together. Now, it really is still going to be up to all of us. Republicans don't get it...it's community...

January 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  39. Sandy - St Louis

Barack Obama has talked for years about Hope ... Tomorrow he will open that door.... its up to all Americans to walk thru it and make the dream come true

January 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  40. Glen Up North

Debbie – happy to see another Nova Scotian, and happy to hear you're that happy about Barack's inauguration. It's like someone said earlier: it _really_ can be felt up here! 🙂

January 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  41. Ronald Olson Sr.

I voted for Barrack Obama – but as I did, I didn't think about voting for the first African-American for President; I thought about voting for the right man to get the job done – about what's right for America.

January 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  42. Robert Foedisch

It has been many decades sine there has been a President I feel I can truly respect. Barak Obama is that President.

In terms of domestic agenda there is no list of problems ranging from accountability of those who created these conditions to aqd infinitum. I feel President-elect Obama has assembeled a brilliant team of cabinet members to deal successfully with these problems.

In terms of foreign relations there is one simple thing that will go a long way to bring peace to the middle east. That is to pressure the nation of Israel to comply with the United Nations Security Council Resolutions 242 and 338.

January 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  43. Venus

It never ceases to amaze me at the indifference the Republicans have about the state of the union THEY have placed us in....Can Obama clean it up? ONLY with the willingness for these learned policitians to admit that they "hitch" their morals to the wrong star. It is inconceivable to believe that in a few short hours months or years that ANYONE of EITHER party can CORRECT the major atrositites that have been committed under the BUSH administation during the past 8 years! We should be appalled by not at only their actions but our allowance of their decisions and our unwitting apathy to the decisions that were made supposedly for what was best for us. It is NOW a time to hold EVERYONES feet to the fire to admit complicity, to admit wrongless and to COMMIT to righting that wrong. I am a proud individual...I strive to become a proud AMERICAN.

January 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  44. Patrick Wisconsin

Wow! what a weekend and what a day today. I can't image tomorrow.
    but where are you Erika, you should be in Dc like everybody else

January 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  45. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Abram...I would go to the interview! I started a new job last week and have to work tomorrow but feel very lucky to get to go to work! I'll have to tape the inauguration...

January 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  46. Mel

I sympathize with Abram-Maryland. My son, who voted for the first time, has jury duty tomorrow. Go to the interview and good luck!

January 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  47. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Silvana, excellent question. Until we stop using modifiers like African American, Asian American, etc. we will be continuing to emphisis differences.

January 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Mary from Nashville

I hope Obama does away with any title that includes the word "czar."

Can't wait to see what he does in the first few days. What a great time in the country's history!

And we all thought Joe Biden was the one with the best gaffes...

January 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Clarence Albuquerque

Did it take 45 years for the service day to come into the spot light? The mall scene is pretty amazing. If I were in DC I'd probably try to be on scene.

January 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Nicole

Just like Princess Diana was the Peoples Princess, Barack Obama is the Peoples President. He is loved all over the world.

January 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |