January 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/19/09

Want to share your thoughts on tomorrow's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAMv

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Glenn from Tampa, FL

Hello Anderson,

On the eve of the inagurationa and MLK Jr. Day I can only describe the feel as hope. Hope that we are entering an era in which we can break new ground not only as Americans but also as a nation. What a road we have been on from the birth of this nation to the civil war to the civil rights movement to today. I am rest assured that the eyes of Dr. King and Abraham Lincoln will be on President Barack Obama.

January 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Roberta

When Larry King mentioned his response to the signs in the south for segregated water fountains, I had a flash back! Thanks Larry! I drank from the "black only" fountain in 1960 too, on my first road trip at age 21 to Florida. My friend and I were, at first confused, and then insulted that there should be such a deliberate insult to another human being! We were two young white women from an integrated town and school in New Jersey, unaware of how some of our friends would have been treated in the south, if they had been with us. My eyes, mind and sensibilities were in shock. I can still see the roadside stop and that fountain today. Thank God we have grown together since then! God Bless the Obama family, God press His arms around our President and keep him and his family always in His embrace, and God bless this country and all men of good will wherever they are!
    Thanks to all of CNN for your terrific coverage.
    California Independent for Obama!

January 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  3. Karla, Cincinnati

Where does he get the energy????? I wish my husband had one-fifth the energy of President Elect Barack Obama!!! What a day he has ahead of him tomorrow!!!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Lisa L

I can not tell you all how happy I am to be apart of history ths week.. I just Luv Barack Obama and Michelle Obama.. A new First Family The Dream will live on Martin would be proud today.

January 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  5. Darlene

Dr. Martin Luther Kings prophetic vision has come to fruition. We as a people "have been to the mountain top" and have "let freedom ring." We as a nation have elected the "people's president." It is now up to congress and the senate to stand up for the people and help President Obama "overcome" our economic and international woes.

January 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  6. Janet

Hi Anderson,

Please ask your guests and help us understand why is Barack Obama referred to as “the first African American” president instead of “the first bi-racial” president? He is as much a white man with an American heartland lineage as he is a black man with a Kenyan heritage. Barack Obama is not a black man talking about the need for racial unity, or a white man standing with his African American brothers and sisters in their struggle. The very person of Barack Obama IS racial unity, and America elected him president! It is this fact that makes this event most compelling to me. In this embodied unity, in the very being of the new American president, every person, of every race, in every part of the world, can live in hope that one day, the whole world will live in such unity. May it be so.

January 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  7. jak mento

Time for the republicans wonks to admit we resoundingly kicked them out of office NOT because they spent too much...it"s because of where they spent it and who got rich as a result.

January 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  8. Lea

Its a New Day , and yea i would of loved to be there but with round the clock news and updates Cnn is the way to go for all the news .Watching the other channels i fell like am missing some breaking news thanks Cnn kept up the good works ,you truly have the best potictical team.

January 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  9. Brandi - bottom of the boot

Colin Powell is such a wonderful wise man.

January 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  10. Waldin

Very happy all the the folks who'll be in Washington. Bask in the moment. Let's all get ready to rebuild our country.
    Anderson, it's always a pleasure watching your show. U r one of the few tv personalities who make sense

January 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

mesty January 19th, 2009 10:20 pm ET

hi Anderson, my name is mesty and i just wanted to say that i am so happy happy beyond words because tomorrow on the inaguration of barak obama, i will be swearing at court to become a U.S.A citizen. and eventhough i was not able to vote for Barak Obama i am very happy that he was elected.

Congrats Mesty!!!! I am so happy for you become U.S. Citizen!!!!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  12. Deborah

It was exciting to watch the CNN Inauguration coverage yesterday. However, I must express my dismay in the concert being restricted by HBO recording rights. Many Americans do not subscribe to HBO and at this historic time I do not think any event should have limited access for any American. I was extremely disappointed it was not broadcast on a national, free of charge, network so the entire nation could share in the enjoyment. Shame on HBO.

January 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  13. Julio A. Castillo (Honduras)

It's incredible how the excitement of this election is lifting the spirit and hope for people all over the world. Way to go America!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  14. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Beave, yes, the day that will count is the day after tomorrow. That's when we'll start to see if the actions match the talk.

January 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  15. CaseyJ - Detroit

Diego...thanks for your wonderful comments. I needed that.

January 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  16. Vanessa, El Paso,TX

my daughter is 8yrs old and I'm making her watch all these shows on CNN i'm not torturing her I just want her to see history instead of reading about in her high school history book so shes kinda excited she just doesn't understand yet how important this is and feels

January 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  17. Atefeh-Harrisburg

I am so excited to have the opportunity to witness such a historic moment...and hopefully the millions of people there will generate enough heat to keep us from freezing...CONGRATS OBAMA!!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  18. Darryl

Hello Anderson,
    I have been stuck in front of CNN since this morning. There is the hope that we honor this moment and make America the greatest nation that it has the
    potential to be.

January 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  19. Maureen T

Okay, I wanted to comment on Andy's eyes and that blue tie, but I'll focus on what a historic event awaits the world! The coverage by CNN has been fantastic! Thanks!

January 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  20. EJ (USA)

I have over 400 DVD’s of CNN coverage

Wow, that's a lot of DVD's.

January 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  21. Estevez family

Anderson, I'm so excited waiting for our next president! Our 44th president for me stands for hope, a comming together of communities, a new start, a change in consciousness. I feel a sense of needing, and wanting to help him. We who voted for him are an army...an army of willing, and prepared soldiers to restart not just this economy but the American way of life. There is a sense of a collective SHIFT in consciousness among our citizens. I can see it and feel it in my daily goings about at the grocery store, waiting and chatting with other parents at the school exit, among my friends(many of which are now jobless). I'm not much of a spender and believe in really concentrating on spending on what is needed. I feel a sense that Barack Obama will not come at us and say , "go out and spend" for the sake of spending. I believe he knows that spending is not the answer but yet it is just a piece of a big puzzle. Yes we need to spend, but we need to learn to know when to stop. I will be spendong and have refrained from spending on two big ticket items until he is in office. I'm ready MY president....I'm ready to make our country yet again the greatest country on this earth.

January 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  22. Michelle Brown in Los Angeles - Obama Fan

In that case Mary Beth, it is definetly TO...

January 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  23. Kenny

What a joke!!! Chaney hurt his back moving boxes??... as if they have no movers in the WH?? Pleeez !! Tell me something thatb makes sense. What he really wants is some sympathy when he shows is face in public tomorrow so people don't boo him... This administration will go to their individual graves lieying & scheeming !!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  24. Anzette Shackelford

The phrase "Out with the Old, In with the New", never had such a significant meaning to me. I have been watching CNN all weekend and all day. It is like a healthy addiction as I watch our nation embrace real change and the intelligent, articulate, talented President Elect, who happens to be African America. I have always been proud to be an African American woman but today I am prouder than ever.

January 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Mary B, TN

Wow! What a glorious time in this great nation of ours. I am truly proud to be an American. America got it right this time.

January 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  26. Fran

Put on a coat, Anderson Cooper, you look so cold!

January 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  27. Beatrice - Toronto Canada

Hi Anderson, I am so exited and happy for Obama, this is the change America has been waiting for, History in the making I wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow, would love to watch the full coverage. Hope you guys at CNN will make a DVD of the election night and the Inauguration.

January 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  28. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I know what you mean, Erica. I remember the feeling here in Boston the night he was elected. People were running through the streets cheering, drivers were honking their horns, and there was truly a spirit of hope. I've really never seen such optimism. I can only hope that the determination and constructive optimism will continue to become a mark of my generation.

And the comments of Biden's wife on Oprah were priceless.Talk about an on-air gaff... 😀

29. Minou, New York City

Thanks to CNN for covering this event so excellently! I watched all day Saturday (neglecting what I should've done), time just flew by.

I'll say goodnight to all bloggers now, I want to give the show my undivided attention.

30. Rich,MA

Erica......It is too bad Tim Russert is not here to witness history....What a great moment for our Country. Tim will be with us in spirit tomorrow!!

31. jak menti

Why do republicans want to rain on the parade so Much ? Alex Castllanos should realise we will celebrate for much longer than 24 hours. Also, deficits ? Repub's worried about deficits ? Can you say Iraq? Can you say Halliburton? Spending money on making all their friends ricjh is the republican way.

32. Stephen and jean casner

Just left the illinois ball

8000 people an hour wait to get in – people everywhere- and everyone in a great mood partying for tomorrow and hoping Barack and michelle show up

January 19, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  33. Paulibe Haynes (Canada)

I am so much in my moment, so proud of our nation. when I listen to so many young people speak about OBAMA and the role model he set for them. There is no limitation on your goals. you can be what you want to be"Yes We Can"

I wish him all gods blessing, ask the lord to protect him. he has a good heart and he will do good for the people.

Pauline Haynes
    Barrie, Ontario
    Canada

34. Dale

Either Bidens wife is a big securtiy issue, or she dissed Hillary. How can anyone not see that? It was too long a comment, and he let her finish, it wasn't just one word. Shame on her!

35. Silvana

I was born and raised in Brazil. We are all Brazilians. It is 'weird' to hear that someone is x-American. Why aren't you all just Americans?

36. Raul Tapia

As a proud Canadian i am anxious to see what Barack Obama can achieve during his term ,and hold high hopes that he can pull his country out of the dark cloud that dubya leaves him. Although we all have to understand that the changes are not going to be seen right away, He will be the one to start paving the way for his country's sucess. Good luck and God bless . oh!! git'er done eh!

37. lee

@Abram: yes, go to the interview. I have a job and have to work, and glad about that!

38. Brandi - bottom of the boot

Hey Erica!!! I can only imagine the energy of the entire city.

39. Karen Mulvey

The difference will be how are funds spent, Americans can live with funds spent for the greater good.

40. Terryann (Jamaica)

How dare the Republican rep. talk about deficit and the economy....Let President Elect Obama enjoy his moment in history.. 8 years nothing was done, now u r criticizing a few hours. This is ridiculous.

41. KIm

How many police officers are you seeing in the streets for security ?

January 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Debbie Glasgow

As a Black Nova Scotian from Canada, I would like to congratulate President Obama. I am very happy to see that timing is always so more precious when God has a hand in it. Obama is no surprise to me because I always knew that there were men like him capable, but that the world was not ready. God's truth stops the spin of satan's lies. I believe that Obama will talk the talk, as well as walk the walk. God Bless you.

January 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  43. Bridget, Cypress, Tx

Anderson, I can't thank the entire CNN team for bringing the pre-inauguration activities to those of us who aren't able to be there and see everything in person. My family and I have taped/watched CNN all day and all night. You know CNN is the bomb, when my daughters and their friends are sitting around and watching CNN and not hanging out at the mall. Great job and keep it up.

January 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  44. Reg

Hello Erica.......

January 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  45. Glen Up North

Erica, I feel positivity is _exactly_ what Washington needs now. With positivity comes a better energy flow, and a better chance that the right solutions are found for America's difficulties today. Glad to hear it's there! (And also glad to hear they're going to get down to business right after the inauguration! That's fast...)

January 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  46. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I love the Bidens! And if in fact Vice President Elect Joe Biden did have the choice between VP and Secretary of State...he made the right choice! 🙂

January 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  47. Julie - Boston

Hey Mike – Syracuse...This is a new day for america and I am inspired "to be the change you wish to see in the world" but in the toughest economic time I think we could be more mindful of costs. If we are all expected to be the change, lets start of right.

January 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

David Gergen, reform should come, but there's many of us who are not embracing another 800 billion or so. I want oversight of this "new reform." A lot of oversight.

January 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  49. Heidi Ann Berg

I liked how Joe handled his wife's mistake ,Biden sure does have a great smile

January 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  50. Amanda - Leesburg, Florida

Who else was a first time voter here? I JUST turned 18 the day before the deadline to register in Florida. I can't believe such a historical election was my very first one. These past few months, and especially tomorrow, will be days that I will never ever forget. 🙂 Thank you, CNN, for keeping me informed and all of your wicked awesome shots, technology, talented anchors, and great shows! You guys make this 'moment' so much better!

January 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |