January 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/19/09

Want to share your thoughts on tomorrow's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAMv

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. pilar garcia

Dear Andreson,
    here in south america we are delighted to see Barack Obama elected, he is an inspiration to all humanity beyond your borders, its finally hope to see a united world a possibility.

January 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  2. Lisa L

Hello Bloggers and Anderson Cooper/ Erica Happy MLK Day to you all.. Now are we all ready for tomorow swearing in ceremony and all the ig events planned for tomorow.. Who's all is in DC tonight?

January 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  3. Pon - Hackensack, NJ

I wish President-elect Mr.Obama and United States of America the very best. I am from India and have been here for some time now. It amazes me to see a Nation's struggle towards a cause has brought in so much change within such short time. However, it is also disturbing to know how many of this country's people have forgotten its history and legacy within such short time. May be, the view from my side is skewed, but I don't see anyone even talking about the nation's forefathers in day to day life, let alone celebrating them or working to realize their dreams.
    About Dr.King’s dream being realized, I would say, the day when we stop discussing about how proud everyone is to see a Obama taking any office, because it had become as much a common occurrence as a Bush taking any office (Please don’t mistake me, I am not undermining the History that is being made) and the day when we stop referring to someone as an African-American and start referring as an American, may be, then we can say we are somewhat closer to Dr.King’s dream. Until then I think “We all STILL have a dream”.

January 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Erica
    I agree with you too..... I can't wait either too.

January 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  5. Hollie

I am a 37 year old computer engineer with my 58 year old mother who is a senior manager. We expect and hope for a prisine adventure in fairness, tolerance and justice for all human beings. We have never been bigoted, but we have always been 'titled' as liberal democrats. With all these great philosophies of our fore fathers we have been tolerated as middle-class single women. My mom as a "single mother', tomorrow expresses our joy in the possibilitly of being considered as single women in our endeavors to be recognized through our new President Obama. Precious luck to all Americans! with High Hopes for All Human Beings. Congratulations President Obama, I proudly implor to be heard by a an understanding intellecutal of the people for the people and by the people!
    Great Hopes,
    The Wilsons of Indiana

6. Lori, Ontario CANADA

We are SO excited here in Canada with your new President Elect.

Can't wait to watch CNN all day tomorrow.

7. Terri Lee from Austin

The U.S. is doing a 180. How exciting is that??? WE DID THIS. To get this involved, to work this hard, and to have perfectly expressed the WILL OF THE PEOPLE ..... we ALL said ENOUGH! We want our country back! And we took it back! And in Obama, we had the perfect candidate who so perfectly expressed what we have had enough OF – and where we want to GO. And here we go!

8. CaseyJ - Detroit

"...I finally feel like the “We” written in the Constitution now includes me. Thank u America for the inclusion."

It"s so wonderful to see so many come together. I really feel like we've accomplished something really big. Unfortunately, as a gay American I also feel like I've been left at the station.

Michelle Brown...CONGRATULATIONS!! I suggest donating your time to your local Chamber of Commerce, which will help your local economy.

9. gloria harper

I wish I could be in Washington, DC tomorrow. I am so excited about President Obama. Tomorrow will be glorious day. I took the day of work to watch the inauguration at home.

10. Ken in NC

Jill Biden simply had a slip of the tongue but it's a part of transparancy. This is fine. It is what we need more of in government. Her comment was funny hehehe. David Gergen said it all.

11. Denise

Anderson! How Exciting. As a white woman that grew up in the 60's, I can't tell you how excited I am. I worked so hard to raise my daughter to not be prejudiced and it was all worth it when my 7 yr old grand daughter pointed out a friend of hers as the 'girl in the pink jacket' and once I looked and saw it was an african american, well I just couldn't help but shed a tear. A change has already come and I am so looking forward to more changes! Hope has been re-established in this country and it's a great thing for sure!

12. Brandi - bottom of the boot

omg, minou is going to start gushing over the first family now! lol

i love you minou!

13. kim

Thank you Anderson for making me feel like I'm there!!!!!

14. Dulcie - Denver

Your coverage has been incredible and I've been glued to the tube for most of the weekend.

Oddly enough, I have be at a Metropolitan Procurement meeting while the Inauguration takes place. Kind of ironic. I've just begun in public service which feels so very right in these times.

I'm sure CNN will have replays I can watch 🙂

15. Nancy

This man was made for this time. There is just no doubt in my mind. He is the leader for whom this nation has been waiting.

16. Ronald, MD

Anderson. I've been recording CNN's Presidential campaign coverage since January 3, 2008 everyday & your coverage tomorrow will complete the journey. I have over 400 DVD's of CNN coverage & I want to thank you for documenting this history better than any other media operation.

17. mesty

hi Anderson, my name is mesty and i just wanted to say that i am so happy happy beyond words because tomorrow on the inaguration of barak obama, i will be swearing at court to become a U.S.A citizen. and eventhough i was not able to vote for Barak Obama i am very happy that he was elected.

18. monica

go obama, and happy birthday martin luther king jr... I'm so excited for the obama family. i have never seen anything like this during any elections in all my 40 yrs on this earth...i'm so excited. we all need to support this president.....

19. Maureen, Georgia

I'm really excited about tomorrow, I'll be taping the swearing in ceremony. Tomorrow is the beginning of a new America, I know that President Obama will be an excellent leader. Jill Biden needs to be scripted now, She can't keep a secret.

20. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Hey Hill! Will you be in DC to watch the inauguration? I hope you'll be reporting for CNN for us. I always love your sunny disposition!

21. Mary Beth

Not a transition TO power, but a Transition OF power. "To" implies a negation of the current presidency.

22. Vanessa, El Paso,TX

so erica, how come you didn't stay in DC?

23. valerie from Canada

I am Canadian but am feeling the love here too. Has there ever been an event that has united so many?. The energy – all positive. The electricity is in the air [I can feel it all the way up here in Canada]. This is unbelievable! Something unique is happening here a cosmic collective experience of positive energy is crackling through the air, literally. Let's all hold on to this moment and then keep it going the day after. Way to go USA !

24. gene oliveri

Rosa Parks sat so could Dr. King walk,so Obama could run so we could soar,,together

25. EJ (USA)

Wow…I can’t believe that tomorrow Barack Obama will be sworn in. What a day for this country.

I'm happy too but I think we are in for a rocky year.

26. Sharon W.

I am a 48 year old white woman and the election of Barack Obama means as much to me as every other American.

He stold my heart the moment he began speaking at the DNC 5 years ago and I have known from that moment something amazing will come from him.

Red, yellow black or white, we are precious in his sight.

Barack knows this in every tissue of his being.

Amen America

27. Maureen

David Gergen ROCKS. His depth of knowledge is incredible! How many President's has he been around for?

28. vincent

Anderson's and all of CNN's coverage has allowed us to see so many fellow Americans across all cultures...it is so good to see everyone happy, optimistic and the profound change in attitudes and commentary.

I am very anxious to hear Obama's speech, but am especially interested in what his first actions will be. there is so much to do.

oops on Joe Biden's wife.

29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I doubt that anyone cares about the 48 percent that did not vote for Obama. I am sure they (we) are of little importance to this new administration.

30. Marion

Hey I am enjoying your coverage, can I ask a really dumb question as if anyone really cares but where is sarah palin????????????

31. Glen Up North

Good idea, Inea: if we make Anderson blush, maybe he can keep warm. Love you Anderson! 😉

32. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Hope. We're not talking about a Superman-style President who can swoop in and fix all our problems. We're not discussing some magic wands. We're not celebrating the notion of perfection and a snap-your-fingers solution. We're talking about hope. The hope to heal an economy that has been nose-diving quite some time. The hope that another Katrina will never do so much damage without any government help. The hope that war will be the absolute last resort.

But do you know where I feel the hope the most? In the journalists. The journalists who have seen war firsthand, seen devastation and loss. The journalists are even hopeful.

It is a new day in America.

33. Michelle Brown in Los Angeles - Obama Fan

48% seems high from my vantage point, they must be hiding under a rock. I totally agree with Jamal. After the spending spree the Republicans have been on the past 8 years, I am appauld that they can even try to fake concern over the spending now. At least now it is a true need, not a partisian act of contempt.

Jill Biden is great, of course it is true, or it would not have made news.

34. Priscilla

Hello
    This is the exciting moments of your life.
    Tomorrow it will make history and I cant wait
    When Barack Obama is the 44th President of the United States

Btw Anderson Cooper your awsome! because of you I love cnn!

Change has finnaly come.

35. Ev

Absolutely wonderful coverage! I am very excited to see tomorrow's events unfold.
    Question: Will there be any "international" coverage? How are people in Europe reacting to this historical event? Are there any CNN reporters set up to record sights and sounds around the world?

36. Todd, Soldier- US Army

January 20, 2009 will rank right up there on the important dates for our country as July 4, 1776. We are lucky to be witnessing this historic event. The election of President Obama goes beyond description.
    Strength and Honor! (Anderson Cooper does it with style!!)

37. Jackie Giuliano

It's amazing that MLK was only a few years off from his prediction when the first black american president would be elected. I am so excited for my children, who will know nothing but what is ahead of them.

38. ericacnn

hi, everyone – hard to believe it is inauguration eve. i was in DC Fri and Sat and the energy and excitement were impossible to miss – i can only imagine what the city is like today.

there was a tangible sense of positivity in the air.. really interesting.

39. Sherrol in Canada

@Abram-Maryland..........Yes, you had better go to that job interview. I know how much you want to see PE Obama sworn in live, but you may be missing out on an opportunity to snag yourself a job.

Tape the swearing in and hope that TV's are turned on at the business as they might want to see it.

40. Steve, Shaker Heights, Ohio

The spirits of Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and countless others will see a new layer added to our American Soul.

41. EJ (USA)

Jill Biden is just cute.

42. benjamin/tennessee

I'm a 30 year old white male,and |I voted for |Baraock obama.|||||Everyone in my family voted for him. |I figured if you voted for the republicans you would have another 4 years of war with iraq,and maybe iran,which might spark a world war with russia ,and china. |Also the reason i voted for him is because of health care,he promised universal healthcare,and another reason i voted for him was because i thought he could fix the economy.

43. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Ok the mall at Washington DC is my absolute favorite place in the world...and Anderson just keeps rubbing it in that he is there and I am here in ND!

...I agree! The party and everything is going to last 1 day and then we have to get to work! It is so amazing to see so many people excited about tomorrow but there is a lot to be done!

44. marti

Barack Obama is the ultimate Community Organizer!!!

45. Karen

Maybe the republicans should have talked about a deficit a few years ago.

Tell Alex it's not like they are proposing spending on this level because it's fun to go shopping. I get a little tired of republicans acting like this is a CHOICE.

46. Vanessa, El Paso,TX

crazy how they have had 8yrs to think of defecit yet just in the last 1wk or so all of a sudden it is the very important topic on the agenda

47. Lori from IL

Gotta love "The Boss" -

Mike Metzler - I agree that this seems a lot like the days of JFK -
    Although I was only 3 years old when JFK was assassinated, I have read a lot about his presidency. Being the same age as JFK, Jr. I remember being fanscinated by the pictures of him in Life magazine, peeking out from under JFK's desk. (I remember my mom talking about being pregnant the same time as Jackie.) Seeing the pictures of Sasha and Malia (I loved Malia taking pictures yesterday.) a young family moving into the White House also reminds me of the JFK days.

Keep the Hope.

January 19, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  48. Jim Oates

I was watching the film of Dr. King's I Have A Dream speech this afternnoon and at the end when he says "Free at last, free at last, free at last", I started thinking that not only does this great moment in our history go a long ways to achieving that goal for all minorities in the USA and the world, but also frees us whites from our past. I really do feel free at last.

January 19, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  49. Terry from Tacoma

Cannot wait for tomorrow. Looking forward watching it with my 3 yr old.

January 19, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Beave

Now is the time for Obama to walk the walk. it will be interesting to see how he leads in these very difficult times!

January 19, 2009 at 10:17 pm |