January 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/19/09

Want to share your thoughts on tomorrow's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAMv

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Bloggers! I've been glued to the tube all weekend and I'm even taking tomorrow off from work just to watch. The excitement from the crowds there in DC is amazing to watch.

January 19, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  2. Manuela, Berlin

Good morning and Happy Inauguration Day!

January 19, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  3. Michael

I think we have forgotten what the president's role is and have gotten caught up in the idea of a black president. He has made a great deal of promises and it sure seems since his election, that he has begun to back away from what he said, If this was a white man, they would be all over him. Is this about a man elected to the presidency, or that a black man is in the white house?

4. TaShan Twyman

I change has come in America. Barak has shown us that anything is possible in the place, this ideal we call the Free World

It's going to take all of us to create this Change. He is one man. But with Belief, he has united so many of us to look toward the future.

He is not our Savior...but a Motivator. He is an inspriration for all that will Believe, Faith, and Work...YES WE CAN BE ALL WE CAN BE!!!

We are not Black Americans, White Americans, Hispanic or Asian. We ARE AMERICANS...YES WE CAN

We ARE now truly on the way to being the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA...YES WE ARE!

5. Tosha

Hello Anderson Cooper and crew!

I'm watching your broadcast like I do every night and I am so happy to know that I am in the same city as you and your crew. I would like to know when will the public be allowed to stake out there position for the inauguration tomorrow? I am so happy to see David Gergen on tonight as well!

6. dan in texas

The fact is i did not vote for Obama,but i cant help but feel excited for the new year.God bless everybody and let support Obama for what shall be a wonderful new year Feel the dream.Dan

7. Diego

Dear CNN Political analysts,

My name is Diego Arvelo. I have lived in Canada for the past 18 years. I Own a small business and when I opened that business 6 years ago the first thing that I hung on the wall is a picture of Dr King delivering his speech in Washington “I have a dream” And walking in every day for 6 years through the front door of that building, no matter what kind of day I had, every time that I looked at that picture it lifted my spirit and my soul… and it described to me that ANYTHING in life is possible. I struggled in the past with racism in the small town where I live… But nothing that those people could say to me ever broke my spirit or my soul… I kept working hard. And tonight sitting in my living room on January 19th 2009, and seeing this Miracle of Barak Obama being elected as the President of the United States of America is like always my dad used to say to me… you must keep an open soul… I am so proud that we as a people that we can come together and oversee the differences in our skin color… It’s like Abraham Lincoln said, “Every man is created Equal. Good luck Barack, from Ontario Canada.
    Best Wishes,

Diego Arvelo

8. Glen Up North

Seeing comments like Michelle's (about finally feeling like she's part of "We the people") makes me even happier Obama's coming into power as president. It's about time!

9. kim-chicago

Wow...I can't believe that tomorrow Barack Obama will be sworn in. What a day for this country.

I think if this year has taught us anythng...it is that we are all in this together. We all need to send our prayers and best wishes to this new "world community" organizer.

10. Nancy

The man for this time....truly he was made for this moment.

11. ANewDay

I'm a grown man and U2's performance of MLK...brought me to tears yesterday.....We are a great country!!!

12. Sharmene

Hello from the Cayman Islands,

I watch your show every night Anderson, you do a wonderful job!
    Since I couldn't be in Washington to witness this historic occasion, I took the day off from work so that I can watch "the moment " live. I wish soon to be President Obama all the best! Will be watching CNN all day!

13. Lorenzo Evans

Wow! What a wonderful historic moment we are about to embark in. Today is a day to honor the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. which is a time to participate in community services and to rejoice the Dream he spoke of and realize it tomorrow when Barack Obama is sworn in as President of the United States.

14. Cristina Aiello

Love the excitement and the shows featuring Martin Luther King day and of course the upcoming inugeration. I am a Canadian and I am thrilled that we have someone of Obama's calabra and of course of first mand of colour.

Congratulations to the US and to all the world. We all deserve a fresh start. Let us all do our part to make this a better world that we can all benefit from.

15. Evelyn Ortiz

I am looking forward to watching the inauguration on CNN with family and friends Tuesday morning. Never have I been so excited about a political event as I am now. We are a hopeful nation coming together around this young man–God Bless You, Barack Obama!!!!

16. Stephen Wilkerson Maryland

Anderson,

Gave blood today and plowed my neighbors driveways as my community service. New kind of President; makes me proud to be an American. I for one will be volunteering every time he or Michelle asks. God Bless America……

Drew

17. Edwin

Anderson,

There is certainly a climate of celebration all over the world not just in American on the eve of this unprecedented historic event, the ascendency of the first African American to the position of a commander in chief of our great country. But one wanders what are the views of Louis Farakhan and Rev. Wright on this developing historic story.

18. Brandon Smith-Memphis, TN

The events taking place are beyond any words that i think any one can say, I would like to encourage everyone to take a moment and listen to the speech given by President Elect on Election Day. The call to service is really what this administration has been pushing us toward. I think is it fair to say that a big part of our nation returning to power is each individual going into service!

19. Andre

Anderson, what time is the mall closing tonight. It is 10:15pm and those folks look like they are going strong!

20. Maria

Change comes from each one of us. Let's pray that our new President will have the same optimism towards America's future all throughout the next 4 years.

21. Patrick

You can feel and smell the change in the air. this is a time for us as american to show what we are can do together as a nation and for the world to follow our lead, as it used to be when we were a role model to the world.

22. Karen

Kudos to CNN for their coverage and their camera work. This is really the first time seeing pictures of the Capitol really got me wanting to go and really give me a sense of size and scope. Great coverage. I can't believe all the people just wandering around today. As much as people talk about the cost, this HAS to be a boost to Washington economics.

23. EJ (USA)

Anderson's lips do look a bit cold... but I guess he can't cover up his mouth and be an effective reporter.

24. Maureen Heim

Born and raised in DC. Have never seen the city filled with such excitement!

25. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening Anderson, Erica, and bloggers!

Words can't express how much I wish I could be in D.C. with you guys! Either way, tomorrow will be a day I'll never forget.

26. Voncile Holiday

I am overwhelmed with joy. I asked myself are these tears of joy???? Yes!Yes!,Yes! The vibration is HOPE.......Faith.

Thanks CNN for great coverage

27. Hank- Fla

We are ONE AMERICA!! We need to support our new President, and come together as Americans for a better tomorrow!! And CNN, We guys once again have done one heck of a job... Thanks, and I hope you all you guys get some rest.. Anderson, you are the best.

28. mike

Obama has is right....if meaningful and lasting change is to occur we must all roll up our sleeves and go to work. He is only one man and we cannot expect him to do it alone. We set ourselves up for great disappointment if we think he can solve all our problems alone.

29. Minou, New York City

It's so strange, but I feel love for our first family!

30. vanessa

I am so very excited. I can barely control myself. I really enjoyed the Larry King show this evening. I hope all will tune in at 9:00. May God continue with the blessings and lead Barack to do great things!

31. Mary

Impressive coverage for such an historic time

32. Cleoni

This is so exciting. As a black Canadian woman, this is a proud moment for me. This re-asserts that with work, dedication, commitment and perseverance, anything is possible. YES WE CAN!

33. Gloria Sumner

I Hope politicians have gotten the message that we Americans are fed up with the partisan politicking . We want them to do the right thing and work in a compromising spirit. How refreshing it would be.

34. Wendy

I am so filled with hope & enthusiasm. I am a Canadian but can't help but feel Obama will bring great things to this troubled world we all share. I hope everything humanly possible will be done to keep him safe, that is my only worry about tomorrow.

35. frank

Frank, San Diego.
    I remember being told in kindergarten (by our teacher) that we would not live to see a Black President. The day is finally here. It is truly inspiring.

36. Sherrol in Canada

@Sarah January 19th, 2009 10:07 pm ET

Yes We Can.Yes We Will.Yes We Did! Change has Come!
    -------------------------------–
    I can't classify myself as "WE" as I'm Canadian, but I'm with you Sarah. God bless America and God bless PE Obama and family!!

37. Rekeesha- Mi

This is such a good feeling.... To see everyone coming together is a blessing from above...I know Obama will do well and give us his very best....

38. Brandon Armstrong

Hi I'm a blind american in texas, and to me tomorrow means a change for the better. It means an easier time for people like my self to get jobs.

39. Char

I'm glade that the bigest cost of the inauguration went towards security and facilities for all the american people that traveled far and near for this historic event.

40. Nonso

Anderson, the whole world seems to be at a standstill just waiting for 12 noon tommorow to continue living. It's amazing!

41. Evelyn Ortiz

The anticipation for this historic inauguration is amazing. How wonderful to be in a position of feeling hopeful for our nation and for nations around the world as Barack Obama is about to become our President.

42. Selecia

Hello bloggers, Anderson and Erica good night you guys are doing a great job thanks for the coverage.I am so emotional right now .... I am happy to be around for this historic moment

43. Anea

Love you Anderson!!!

44. Marlon Canada

Hi Erica,

You look so lonely tonight. I wish I could come keep you company but I'm all the way in Toronto Canada. How come you didn't go to Washington?

45. Carys from Missouri

This is incredible!

But Anderson looks so cold. Somebody give him a coat before he freezes.

46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    Thanks for update about vice president Cheney his condition.

47. June.

Have heard all day about the huge price tag(159 million dollars) . Maybe it would not be so huge if all these superstars could play for free. It would reduce the costs by a few hundred thousand dollars. They should be honered to be there June

48. Cynthia

I couldn't be in Washington, but we had our own annual celebration of the works done by Dr. King. It should have been telecasted so the world could be a witness to small town hard working Black Americans are doing.

49. Kay

Julie from my home town in Boston. I agree with the grand total of the festivities it does seem much considering the problems we are facing. But wouldnt you agree that this celebration towards a brighter future is somewhat deserving. by the way I love! anderson!

January 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Billie - Williamston, NC

This is a truly amazing day! I am overcome with hope for the future of America. I am so glad that my daughter will grow up knowing that she can do anything. I am truly proud to be an American today.

January 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |