January 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/19/09

Want to share your thoughts on tomorrow's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAMv

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Monique

This is a very emotional time, but it feels good to feel good about something! 🙂 And Anderson looks great!

2. Darlene

I am sitting here tonight so excited–so full of anticipation for this long nightmare to be over–to finally see Bush gone...for the first time I think I really know what the munchkins felt like when the house fell on the witch.

3. Abram-Maryland

I have a freakin' job interview tomorrow at 12:00!!!!! Should I go??

4. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, fellow bloggers. I agree about the good vibrations Brandi, I've enjoyed getting a sense of the new administration as President Elect Obama and VP elect Biden get ready to come into office. I haven't seen as much coverage as I would've liked this weekend, but what I have seen has brought me into the excitement, history, and festivities of the inauguration.

5. Donnell

Hello Great Coverage by Anderson, I have a question? What does the
    symbol mean that Obama has used for his campaign?

6. Ken in NC

Anderson, many have called the cost of this inauguration an "extravagant inauguration celebration" when it is in fact, the celebration of 4 things.

(1) It's the celebration of the inauguration of our next President.
    (2) It's the celebration of the coming of age of a nation demonstrating it's world growth.
    (3) It's the celebration of a special accomplishment of a race of once oppressed people.
    (4) And finally, it's the introduction of a New America to the world.
    All four, when combined, are what give many the appearance of an "extravagant celebration" when, in fact, it is reality. It is a worth while expenditure as this event will take place only one time in the history of our nation. All that can, should take part and be a part of history.

7. Natalie from Canada

Greeting from a small country town north of Toronto!

I have to tell ya – Canada loves Barack Obama. We have always felt a close and special bond with our friends in the U.S. We share in your new-found optimism and our thoughts and prayers and hopes will be with you tomorrow. "We are One"

8. Rick

It is sure tough watching this on TV. We all wish we were there (in the cold too)

9. Theresa

Even though I've been following Obama's election for almost 2 years(like everyone else) I feel like it's a dream. A dream fulfilled! I am so happy to be witnessing this amazing moment in history.

10. Lisa Sims

The stars have literally come out tonight! Although I can’t be in D.C. during this special time, I am anxious to get to work Tuesday morning as I teach middle school students in Ohio and I look forward to spending the day with my students celebrating this historic Inauguration Day with them. I hope it is a day they will always remember and their lives will forever be changed and better because Barack Obama will accept the keys to The White House and their future.

I have led 8th grade students from Ohio to Washington, D.C. every May for the past 7 years. I always get excited to see their eyes at every site in DC but this year will be extra special and historic. I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited in January though, for the trip to come in May.

11. mike

Congrats Obama!

12. Virginia

I can't wait till tomorrow it's going to be a blast, a blast to the future I mean....

Change that's what we need change!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Greg Schmigel

Anderson,

I took my mother-in-law out for Chinese food tonight. Her fortune actually read, "You will bring about change." I asked her if I could keep it. I dated the back of it.

If I ever meet Mr. Obama...I will give it to him.

For now. I will carry it in my wallet until then.

Greg in Arnold, MD.

January 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  14. Courtney Battle

I can't even begin to fathom the feelings that tomorrow will bring...the spirit in DC right now is so out of the ordinary, and you can really feel a change in the air...

January 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  15. biba, philadelphia

Anderson C. ,
    For the last three days, the world has been dancing to the same beat…Contagious happiness and Pride! Also a global motivation
    to be and do more.
    These pictures speak from themselves. I am from Senegal, but as a citizen of this world, i am thankful to witness this moment.
    great job Mr. Cooper

January 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  16. Larry E. Whiteside

Is this an inauguration or a coronation? Let's see how we feel 12 months from now.

January 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  17. Dorothy-CA

I took the day off to watch every minute! I'm trying to be so patriotic and focus on what is happening and not Anderson's very blue eyes tonight. You guys need to stop reminding me by mentioning his looks!
    Think Obama, think Obama........:)

January 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  18. Eric

The only reason Cheney would ever move boxes himself is if there were something in those files that he didn't want anyone else to see. Come on, Anderson - at least raise the question.

Sincerely,
    Eric in Salt Lake

January 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  19. rose sc

We are so all excited about our new President. Let's all stay positive and pray for his success. It is a wonderful moment in history for our country.

January 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  20. Glen Up North

I couldn't pry myself from the TV. What a rush! Obama's about to be sworn in... tomorrow!

January 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  21. Minou, New York City

I wish I could be there tomorrow, but I'm also happy with my first rate seat here on my bed, watching CNN all day, getting all the close ups and all the angles!

January 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  22. Janine from PA.

A Happy MLK Day to all and Rev. King would be happy to see this if he could. As well as Mrs. King.
    Although I can't stand cheney I don't wish ill will to him and I hope he recovers soon.

January 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  23. Erica

Jan.20,2009 will be history. I am so proud and I know Martin Luther King Jr would be proud of this historic moment. Change is Here.

January 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Imani from Maryland

I wish i could stay up to chat but my mother is making me get off the computer since i have to be at the metro at 3:30 am...GOODNIGHT ALL.

January 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  25. Cassandra

Anderson,
    My daughter was wondering if your eyes are as beautifully blue as they appear to be on tv. LOL....I told her that I think they are......

This is a wonderful historical time for everyone. My daughter and I went to the MLK parade in Dallas, Tx today.

January 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  26. Sherrol in Canada

That 'We are One' concert yesterday was fantastic. You could tell the Obamas, Bidens and everyone else had a great time!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  27. A. Reynolds

Mike, I understand your feelings, – totally. I am a little younger and have bwwn very involved but, had soured. I just wanted to retire. Now, No~! I have little nieces who I can share history with. I am (as they might say souped). Translation – I am SOUPED.

28. Steve

Sure it is MLK day, but lets not forget that we voted for Obama because he was the best choice, not because he was black.

29. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Yeah lets put that hologram technology to good use! 🙂

30. cartiercutie

This is a very emotional time, but it does feel good to just feel good about something! 🙂

31. Sherry (Toronto,ON)

Thanks for the great coverage you have been doing! It will be an exciting day tomorow.

32. Peggy-Colorado

Hi, I am so excited too, I even took tomorrow off from work so I could watch CNN all day!! It is a great time to be an American for sure

33. karin dicker

please tell Anderson to put on a coat and hat. He looks like he is sooooo cold and in pain from it.

34. Cliff

I am with our nation in celebrating these historic events, and I believe that we will take Obama's message to heart as a culture - change begins with each of us. It's about learning to live on what we have and beginning to understand that what is important is enough. Shop at farmer's markets, eat whole foods, talk with people, recycle, take public transportation, educate yourself, be grateful and sensitive to a larger picture, love each other, and let's move forward – collectively – by doing the simple things that must exist in a better world!!
    Writing from the University of Colorado in Boulder, Congratulations America ...
    PEACE, LOVE, OBAMA!!!

35. Paolo

Hi Everyone! I'm so excited about the events less than 14 hours from now. Isn't it fitting for this all to more or less coincide with MLK day?

36. kim - orlando Fl

I think the Bidens are just honest people and the truth slipped out and we dont care because the right decision was made

37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Maureen T.
    Yes! he does talk to crowd people in National Mall!

38. Mike, Syracuse NY

Julie-Boston, it isn't every day you crown a President, why should the cost matter?

39. kathy payton - santa monica, ca

I am really really happy for the african-americans. They've waited a long time for this to happen. The one thing that does bother me is all these movie stars coming out of the woodwork. I think they should step back and let the african-american people be in the forefront

40. Selecia

Hello bloggers, Anderson good night you guys are doing a great job thanks for the coverage.

41. Brandi - bottom of the boot

THE BOSS! lol

is it me or is he frozen in time??? lol

42. Leigh, Charlotte, NC

If we get snow in Charlotte, we get to watch coverage all day. Yeah. But let's remember he is one man, not a symbol. And he needs the support of Congress and the American people.

43. Anea

I am soooo excited this day has finally come

January 19, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  44. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Michelle – I know what you mean. I'm a financially insecure college student who is trying to find enough time and money to make ends meet myself. I did, however, just recently "sponsor" a child from Africa. It's not too much when you think of all the frivolous things we all purchase. I've also been trying to donate my time by stocking food shelves at my local outreach and I wrapped Christmas presents for the needy this Christmas.

January 19, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  45. salathia scott

I'm so crazy excited that I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight.
    Wow, if my grandparents were here.
    Good Lord, I can't contain myself.

January 19, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  46. Sherrol in Canada

Fellow bloggers, did you hear what Dr Jill Biden said on Oprah this afternoon?

January 19, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  47. James lawless

I've have been waiting for this moment ever since he declared that he was run for the president of the United States of America. But once all the party and celebration are over we can finally get down to business to solve this economic crisis and by the end of his term i want to Shout " Yes we can and Did!!"

January 19, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  48. vincent

Hello all, spent much of the weekend watching CNN's coverage. Boy, i don't know how everyone does it in that cold, but gotta give you credit. Liked Anderson and Wolf without hats. Looking forward to tonight, but especially tommorrow!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  49. Larry

Hello Anderson & fellow bloggers:)

I've never seen this question before; did Barack's dad become an american citizen when he married Barack's mom?

I was so hoping to see Tiger on the Lincoln Memorial but I suppose there were just too many celebrities for Pesident Obama and his family to stop for more than a few seconds. CNN didn't seem to recognise an actor from the show House, Kal Penn; who worked on the Obama campaign during the writers strike.

I was so happy to see Marisa Tomei there; she was some happy:)

January 19, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  50. carol knoll

What a country!!!! We are so much closer to the day when an American is not judged by the color of their skin or the nationality of their forefathers. I know that better days are coming. I have always believed that Americans are resilient people, who, with the right leadership, can bring themselves together in support or our government. Trust will not return overnight, but it is on the horizon, and it has been a long time coming.

January 19, 2009 at 10:09 pm |