January 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/19/09

Want to share your thoughts on tomorrow's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAMv

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Rodrick Q, Pixley -NY

We are just a few more minutes away from the morning of of making a full 360 degree turn in this great big world. May God be pleased, and may we all live as one nation, undevidabl, with liberty, and justice for all. Happy New Generation Day!!!!!!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  2. Clarence Albuquerque

Thanks for the great day of reporting. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's coverage, although I won't be able to catch it all. buenas noches.

January 19, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  3. Glen Up North

Renee: according to Tommy, Aretha has a strong penchant for wearing fur for outdoor appearances. Aretha wearing fur may upset people who are against wearing fur. Why risk spoiling such a great moment in time? 😦

January 19, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  4. Terri Lee from Austin

Ha ha – Anderson needs a Snuggie so he can attend sports event in comfort.

January 19, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  5. EJ (USA)

Can some explain the Aretha and the fur thing to me? Clueless here.

I think – a few years back – some PETA members threw some fake blood on her for wearing animal fur. PETA and many others (esp in 2009) are against using animals for testing and for clothing.

January 19, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  6. gabriele (Canada)

I'm sending this message from Canada. This is a happy, magical and hopeful time not just for Americans but for the whole world. I want to thank all of you at CNN for keeping us informed on the latest and most update events surrounding the Inauguration. You guys are the best and thanks for bringing the WORLD a little closer to us. 🙂

P.S. Anderson that blue tie, really looks good on you!

January 19, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  7. June Kelsaw

I feel like I am living a dream.....
    This is so wonderful....it's a once in a lifetime event...
    The coverage is so real....it's great!!!
    I am especially greatful to still have my motherr of 77 years still living to see this day...which she never thought would.
    I am remembering my father, grandparents, and all those you are no longer living in my family, to enjoy this time for them.

I am reminded of Ecclesiates 3:1
    To everything there is a season,and a time to every purpose under the heaven.

I am so thankful....A change is comming, A dream is fullfilling!

January 19, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  8. Lori from IL

Good night – Anderson, Erica and Fellow Bloggers.

Great show tonight, Anderson and the whole 360 crew. Thanks for all your hard work.

And fellow bloggers – great blog tonight.

Just think in about 12 hours it will be President Obama!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  9. niwat, Chicago

@ Ashley, A snuggie wouldn't be such a terrible idea to keep Mr Cooper toasty.

January 19, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  10. Glen Up North

Ashley – Through second-hand word, I've heard of people getting those blankets with sleeves: apparently, they're hard to get out of! 😉

January 19, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  11. Francoise

Congratulations to President Elect Barack Obama. I am so proud and feel blessed to witness history in the making. I believe and I know that President Barack Obama will do what he promised to do. He is hope to a lot of us. He represents the freedom we immigrants have been looking for so long. We, immigrants come to America to realize our dreams and help our families overseas. We have a strong work ethic. We contribute everyday in the American society and economy and would contribute even more if we were given enough means. A lot of us have been here for a long time and consider the United States of America to be our home even though the harsh laws of immigration make it hard on us to fully settle in. But, we have hope again. President Elect Barack Obama is it. I know he will not forget about us and he will help us be part of this society that we have fully embraced and desperately try to be part of. “Yes we can”. God bless America and all the other countries.

January 19, 2009 at 11:53 pm |
  12. EJ (USA)

Someone should get Cooper one of those blankets with sleeves attatched to it…

You mean the "Snuggie?" Funny thought!

I wonder if Anderson would like the Snuggie.

January 19, 2009 at 11:53 pm |
  13. Anthony Boddie

i love the feature pieces on CNN!

January 19, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  14. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Glen Up North – I absolutely agree. I think everyone needs to be a bit more appreciative that Cooper and AC360 team have been up probably all day, interviewing and hosting, and is now still in the freezing cold with people who are very excited to be on camera. They should be there for that moment, not to be seen on tv. Cooper is doing a job, and if someone were screaming in my ear I wouldn't be pleased.

Although, I don't think Cooper has once done anything wrong. I can't think of any other correspondent/journalist that would have handled it better. Kudos!

January 19, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  15. Ken in NC

Good night and stay safe and warm all. Great show tonight.

January 19, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  16. Sam, Ewa Beach, HI

Its nice to see the interviews and see other people so excited. Adds some of the "electricity" through for those of us who can't be there.

So thanks for adding in the interviews.

January 19, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  17. George

As a 54 year old retired Air Force African American, I always was and will always be proud to have served my country. Tomorrow's historic event will finally make me say I'm pround to be an American. Our generation grew up with Dr King, JFK, and RFK. We lost all hope,meaning and purpose when they were brutally assassinated over 40 years ago. This coutry's indifference toward race, gender, class, economics, and social issues have poisioned us for decades.
    We should extend a hand to those who are suffering the most. I pray for his guidance, and wisdom as he begins to lead us out of this country's economic fiasco.

January 19, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  18. Deena

What I love about Michelle Obama is that she is her own lady. In some ways she reminds me of Princess Diana with the ability to know what works best insofar as fashion sense given any situation. I think whatever she wears, she will be stunning.

January 19, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  19. Deborah M. Gibson

I am sitting here in Atlanta, along with my husband George and my family watching your show. We are elated to be a part of this American Dream. We are all a part of this; there is no black or white, no Democrats or Republican, there is just America......and at this moment in time as we embark upon what will be a historical moment, we should all say with a resounding voice "YES WE CAN"!

January 19, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  20. Lisa L

In the words of Maze Ft Frankie Beverly.. We Are One... Good Night All..

And God Bless Ameria..

Out
    Army of One

January 19, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  21. Lourdes

Erica and AC,
    The students and staff of the Los Angeles Unified School District are very fortunate to have educational leaders encouraging us to watch the inauguration. This is a momentous event in history and a great learning situation for students.

January 19, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  22. Steve from LA

What a glorious day. Any troubles I may have are melting away. Hope is in the air. Now I am truely proud to be an American after 8 years of complete shame and embarrassment. I might start travelling overseas and ware the flag proudly.

January 19, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  23. Ann Miller

This is truly an amazing experience for everyone across this planet.

Here in Vancouver, British Columbia we will be glued to our televisions at home and at work....yes at work – things will be shut down during the inauguration, and we have all types of planned Obama events – parties, "drinkfests", etc. etc etc.

We pray that everyone will be safe as they witness history.

January 19, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  24. Renee

Can some explain the Aretha and the fur thing to me? Clueless here.

January 19, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  25. Cecile

The last time I felt this kind of euphoria was back in Manila when the late Pope John Paul II was visiting! Congratulations USA! You made one fine choice! And I'm glad I'll be part of this awesome ride : )

January 19, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  26. Marina Allfrey

Hello Mr. Anderson, hello America!
    Yes, it is excited and an wonderful experience watch You and the American People happy and celebrated the new Presidente. I hope tomorrow you have a marvelous day.
    God Bless America. You all do a great job because you can!
    God Bless Mr. Barack Obama.
    My best regards,
    Marina Allfrey from Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, South of Brasil.

January 19, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  27. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Someone should get Cooper one of those blankets with sleeves attatched to it…he may keep warm AND attract a lot less screaming women that way. Poor ears.

January 19, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  28. Ken in NC

Thanks Anderson, Erica, Randi and all the CNN crew and all of the Bloggers from around the world for all the great times we have had leading up to this historic occasion.

I hope now that we can carry on and begin the process of rebuilding our nation as one people of many cultures.

Bless you all.

January 19, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  29. Sylvie-Maria Filion

I'm very disapointed to be unable to attend this historic event. Ottawa, Canada, is a little far from Washington DC.

This event is, as I call it, is a 'political revolution' which sets the premisses of a new era of hope, prosperity and strong realisations. May you stand without a doubt on that "Yes we can" "as long as you can"!

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Please accept my regards,

Sylvie-Maria Filion

January 19, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  30. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Erica, I think you should choose Mrs. Obama's outfit. You have such great taste.

January 19, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  31. wanda lawson from columbus ga.

It has been a long time coming,I thank GOD that this day has finally come.AC......looking good.DR.King had the dream and we`re living it.love it,love it, loveeeeeeeeeeeee it.

January 19, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  32. Glen Up North

Mary and others : I think we're overlooking something that should be very obvious here. No matter how positive and enthusiastic we all are (both on-screen and off), Anderson is still trying to host a news show. If he can't hear his correspondent/interviewee/panel member over the feed, or is distracted by motion around him... well, I'm willing to cut him some slack here, as I'd be peeved as well were I trying to speak on-camera and someone else was interrupting me. Can we just appreciate the fact that he actually let them in the shot?

January 19, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  33. Gerry

We Canadians love Obama

According to an Ekos survey for public broadcaster CBC, 81 percent of Canadians approve of Obama's performance as he prepares to take over from President George W. Bush on Tuesday.

An Ipsos Reid poll for CanWest News Service found 86 percent of Canadians believe Obama's presidency "brings hope for the future."

God bless American for electing Barack Obama, a transformational leader for our times.

January 19, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  34. arlene

I'm getting a little tired of hearing that having a Black President is going to change the World for All people? We can all work together no matter what color our skin is! what is the big deal?
    Thanks,great job Anderson
    Enjoying the show!
    Just one American viewer!

January 19, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  35. Jennifer

Renee- I think its maybe because Obama wishes to embrace Lincoln's goal for equality, which integrates both race and patriotism. Granted, MLK did the same but he wasn't a president he was a citizen... I'm not sure if it makes as much sense as I intended.
    I think Obama is perhaps going for more of a change and progress ideal rather than a more racial one.... no dispute though, Lincoln and King were both great men who did great things for this country!

January 19, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  36. Dee F

CNN and AC360 crew I just wanted to take the time to thank you for the excellent coverage. I have followed for the entire weekend since I had projects I had to do, so I was house bound for the weekend.

It has been a truly inspiring weekend and I think everyone should remember this is only the beginning. There is still a long way to go, but let us celebrate tomorrow and then start working Wednesday!!!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  37. James

Soon now the USA will become unofficially known around the world as:

The Obama-Nation

January 19, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  38. sharon

Im very very very very very very very happy and proud to be called an african seeing this historic moment in my life an" african man "becoming presendent of the United States of America what a blessing.this is extremely fantastic and Unforgettable.

January 19, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  39. Sam, Ewa Beach, HI

Yea! Thanks to Erica and CNN for keeping to blog open.

January 19, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  40. Clarence Albuquerque

AC it's great to hear your reporting on all the excitement going on in DC and across the US. I hope you're getting to enjoy this experience. I don't remember you reporting from within the masses like this before. Enjoy. and thanks for bringing the joy our way.

January 19, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  41. Susan

Words cannot express how I feel about this inauguration. I have cried on and off today watching all of the events and I am expecting to cry most of the day tomorrow. I just feel like I have woken up from a bad dream that lasted 8 long years. Obama gives me a sense of hope and renewal that I have never felt before! I am looking forward to this bright new chapter in American history, I cannot wati for the journey to begin! The Obama family will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. January 20, 2009 will be a new and hopeful beginning for The United States of America.

January 19, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  42. Brennon King

Good day Anderson,

I'm from Trinidad & Tobago and I always enjoy your programs.
    I wanted to add my thoughts on this very historic moment and event. It is an occasion that we all, people of all races, cultures and political persuasions should be exceedingly proud of, as we, as a people, have reached an important mile stone... My wish for all Americans at this time is to continue living the dream and continue to dream on to the next level.

To Soledad Obrian, Roland martin and Don Lemon keep up the good work.

January 19, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  43. Donna Williams

I watch CNN everyday and I think your reporting is great. This is history and I have waited a life time for this moment. My grandmother was born in 1918 and this is a miracle for her generation. President Obama does not have a magic wand to solve all the problems, but he represents hope for this country.

January 19, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  44. Wade

I can,t sleep Ican,t wait. I,m so excited that the obama team will be in control of the nation starting tomorrow. I,ll be glued to my t.v. and computer. Change has finally come. I,ts hard to believe.

January 19, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  45. Tommy

Thank you, Jo Ann. There are so many details to putting on an Inauguration that I don't know if the Committee would have thought of that detail (of Aretha not wearing her fur). How would one let them know – especially since the ceremony is only hours away?

January 19, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  46. Della

I think this is such an exciting time for America right now. Who would of ever thought that we would ever see an african-american president. We have just broken so many barriers.

January 19, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  47. EJ (USA)

My tears have arrived. I think it was that Springstein song.

January 19, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  48. Glen Up North

Erica : you and me both hope! The perils of having an enthusiastic crowd around you... 😉

Vani : I encourage you to see the plurality of our interests. 🙂 My joy in seeing Obama sworn in is different from my joy in seeing Anderson with his guard down (so to speaK) on TV. Not everyone here is struck by Anderson's giggle... but I have to admit it is a welcome change to all the über-serious news shows out there. Maybe he _is_ the newsworld's answer to Tintin... I'm definitely not complaining! (laughs)

January 19, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  49. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Erica,

You asked a question earlier about teachers showing the inauguration. I am one. Our administration is allowing us to show the replay on Channel One tomorrow afternoon during last block. The kids won't see this live. Even then, some teachers were telling kids last week that they aren't allowing it to be seen but teaching regular classes instead (like the most historical thing to happen in a long time isn't educational in and of itself). My kids are watching, discussing, and writing about it. Don't get the hate and indifference where teaching kids is concerned.

January 19, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  50. Cynthia

I am so proud of America. The unity and pride that everyone is exemplifying is overwhelming. I believe that Obama will do everything that he promised in his campaign- but America must remember it will take time. The situation that America is in right now did not happen overnight.... therefore it will not be an overnight solution that resolve our problems. Stay proud America.

January 19, 2009 at 11:42 pm |