January 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/19/09

Want to share your thoughts on tomorrow's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAMv

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Erica, Democrats and Republicans have to try their hardest to do what's best for the country. Most Republicans I know, want Obama to be successful.

January 19, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  2. Cristina Terre

Anderson, really. Get a hat. Imagine yourself thirty years from now and see how will you see yourself tonight...or at NYE at Times Square, freezing and buzzed. Your ears are so red it huts me to imagine they will fall out of your head anytime. You could put a bag in your head and we will love you anyway. Just the sound of your voice and having a real understanding what your passions are. Vanity does not becomes you.
    Your surrogate mom.

January 19, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Nice report by Gary! What a nice opportunity for those people! I wonder how many average Americans will have an opportunity to attend those fancy inaugural balls.

Gary looked like a million bucks himself!

January 19, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  4. Rich, Boston

It would be nice Erica to see a continued bi-partisan effort to solve the current problems facing our country.......It would also be nice to see former Republican Presidential candidate Mitt Romney put his "money" where his mouth is and help the American auto industry by having his former company Bain Capital "buy out" one of the companies instead of having our "government" bail them out for making gas guzzlers. That's is the way capitalism is supposed to work.

January 19, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  5. Scholtrane

Hello World,
    Tuesday marks a new era of hope for all people, but our hopes will not be realized without your efforts. My hope is that we all look inside ourselves to find the greatness that lies within each of us. Use this moment to motivate yourself to become a more loving, compassionate and passionate person and volunteer in your community. Piece by piece we can make America and this world a better place. Embrace and celebrate this historic moment.

The Scholis Family in Monterey, CA

January 19, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  6. susan louise

my first blog comments ever. It is a mutual commitment we are all sharing in tomorrow. Passive sitting back is over. It is up to all of us to step up, be leaders, help build, rebuild, finance, FUN raise, pull ourselves up out of the hole we are now in...I like Barak because he is a firm leader and loves the community think tank! May we rise to meet him....susan

January 19, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  7. Susan - Ontario, Canada

I am a Canadian.....but Obama, has so many challenges, that I have to wonder how overwhelmed he must feel....I think Americans are expecting way too much of him....after all......he is just human and can only do so much. He's got to fix the past 8 years of a damn mess that Bush has created. Please give him a chance.....don't within a couple of weeks complain about him.....As a Canadian, believe me, you are lucky to have him as a leader....I am old enough to remember, as a Canadian, the one leader who inspired us Canadians (well, maybe.....not of all of only us Canadians) was our Prime Minister, Pierre Elliot Trudeau. I would love to have him around today to lead us Canadians.

January 19, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  8. vincent

Great Blogs!! We are grateful for the extended show and all of the info (i.e. how the move into the White House is accomplished, snipers, etc.)

Can feel the electricity through the TV but especially on this blog, prayers and people from around the world!

Thank you Anderson and everyone else on the show, amazing amount of blogs!

Good night to bloggers too..you are all the best. i need to settle down and try to get some sleep tonight, so i can get re-wired for tomorrow!

January 19, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  9. Mary

Anderson, I love you but you are getting a bit tight wound out there on the Mall. Enjoy the people's happiness. We haven't had much lately.

January 19, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  10. Chad

Its official, I'm taking a personal day tomorrow from work. I have to see this extraordinary moment in history, LIVE as it happens. I'm 35, and I remember being excited when Bill Clinton got elected, but this is soooo much more exciting and amazing!! God Bless America, and lets not forget the many who have yet to realize the Liberty promised to us...like the millions of gays and lesbians in this country who have no choice but to be who they are, or lie and hide, for we too have a dream!!!!! Thanks CNN, You guys are the best!!!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  11. Deena

Its an amazing to listen to where all the participants of the past few days and all the places they have come from to experience and be a part of this eurphoria. Tomorrow, I can't wait.

We need more people like Earl Stafford ... now that is someone who is an unbelievable person. Thank you for being such a kind man.

January 19, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  12. Jan MacMillan Toronto Canada

The American people have so much to be proud of...I have only the "audacity of hope" myself. Once again, the American people have shown the world they may be down, but never out. By electing Barack Obama they give hope to a sometimes weary world. It does not matter to me what race or nationality someone may be, it is their character. I will watch the Inauguration with tears of joy. God Bless The USA

January 19, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  13. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Oh, trust me Erica. He can't. Haha.

I'm generally a very patient person. But seriously, how many times do you have to tell people to take it down a notch before it becomes ridiculous. 😉

I do love that he's taking the time to interview the people, though. It's amazing how far some have come to witness this.

January 19, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  14. Sherrol in Canada

Mr Earl Stafford, I salute you. You are an amazing man for making this dream come true for so many people.

That young lady Crystal looks really good in that dress.

January 19, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  15. Ruth - 1st Time Poster

Hello and Congratulations from Eastern Canada to our closest neighbor to the South. I am so proud as a Canadian to witness this moment in history.

I was not around for MLK or JFK, but I truly believe PE Obama shares in their passion and will bring the change the USA and the world so desperately deserves at this time.

My biggest sorrow is that my Mom has past away before she could witness the events of the day. She always felt this day would come, and she was right.

January 19, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  16. Sarah Rutherford ATL

I wish I could be there at that hotel. How do you even get invited.

January 19, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  17. Diane in California

We are seeing history being made before our eyes. My grandparents and parents have fought for this country to make it better. Obama has made me realize how fortunate I am and that I should give back. Never have I seen so many peopple of all races come together for the comon good. Words cannot expess how I feel. I am so excited about tomorrow I won't be able to sleep. God Bless America and the Obama family!

January 19, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  18. EJ (USA)

Anderson’s giggle?? Oh, my, we are in trouble. These can’t be the same people that are so excited about our next president of the United States of America.

hey – we Americans know a good giggle when we hear one

January 19, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  19. Tim Reise (Nashville, TN)

Great coverage, CNN! Keep up the good work.

I send God's blessings to everyone in Washington, D.C. tonight and tomorrow.

January 19, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  20. Sue

I am going to DC for th ebig day tomorrow. I am taking my 17 year old son who was very upset that he was not old enough to vote in the election. I have been looking at the DC web page as well as the metro and we had some security questions...
    1) Do you know if the "no backpack" ruling applies to all areas of the mmall or only certain areas.
    –We are traveling a long way and want to bring snacks, extra jackets, etc.

2) Are the Smithsonian buildings going to open at all tomorrow?

Either way, we can't wait to get there and be a part of this awesome occasion.

January 19, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  21. Antoinette

Anderson,

As the mother of a biracial child, you have no idea how important this time in history means to me and what it will bring to my daughter's future. My eyes fill with tears as I watch the clip of Antoine Fuqua's film.

What a wonderful time for us all. I wish my family was on the Mall with you but we chose to watch from home here in NY. We'll be tuned in to CNN and tomorrow I will watch on CNN.com from my office.

Thank you!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  22. Barbara in Boston

I love hearing from all the people from different parts of the country. Please give us more!

I am there in spirit only as I have to stay in Massachusetts, but all these interviews of these excited, enthusiastic people helps me feel like I'm there, too. Thanks.

January 19, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  23. Gerry

The CNN coverage of this historic event has been great, I only have one complaint-or call it a concern.

Anderson, please dress warmer, your nose is getting red. lol

January 19, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  24. Steve

As a Republican, I have to say what a relief it will be to put the Bush disaster of the last 8 years behind us. I cannot believe how one administration can leave our country in such a mess.

I wish President Obama the best, but I fear that he faces such enormous challanges that Obama-mania may soon be tempered by the stark reality of the real world and the problems that he will have to confront. It will not be easy to dig out of the hole that George Bush leaves behind.

January 19, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  25. Lynn S.

RE: Is America ready to pitch in and help, make sacrifices, and get our country back on track? You bet we are! Not since 911 have so many been so united in a common cause. Back then, we were united in anger, shock and deep sorrow. Now we are united in commitment, hope and complete joy! Just stand back, world, and watch us go!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  26. Glen Up North

Tommy – Yikes. Now I understand. Hopefully she won't wear fur. I have to admit, I wear leather, but respect it so that I don't keep buying item after item. However, up on stage and on TV, it's hard to transmit that even if Aretha takes utmost care of her fur clothing.

January 19, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  27. Brandi - bottom of the boot

wow, long blog tonite!

erica, you are great! i have one question...i thought anderson was not all that concerned with his looks so what is the problem with a hat or earmuffs so he isnt frozen solid by the time he is done with his broadcast? lol

January 19, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  28. Corinne MacPherson

I am rejoicing with you.

Corinne MacPherson, Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada

January 19, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  29. Jennifer

I'm in awe.. I'm 23 and my generation has not seen a lot of the drastic changes our parents and grandparents have... Sometimes it seems that we've forgotten our quest for progress; this presidential term will be a great reminder of it. I just hope we can really make the changes and not just get caught up in some temporary hype.
    I love Anderson, he's so grounded in all of this... telling people not to wave and yell, its great.

January 19, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  30. Alphonso l king

This coming day is surely willed by the Lord for all people throughout the world

January 19, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  31. Lori from IL

Finally - someone in the crowd from Chicago and Hyde Park, yet! We are all there with you in spirit.

January 19, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  32. ericacnn

poor AC, i hope he can still hear in his right ear! 😉

January 19, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  33. Anthony Boddie

Where is Erica?

January 19, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Vani, I am afraid that they are and they are the ones who have chosen our next leader.

January 19, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  35. louis

im from canada and we as canadiens are thrilled of the new president of the us of a im positive the next 4 years will be great for canada and the usa congrats again usa from yr neighbours canada

January 19, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  36. Anthony Allentown PA

Wow that tribute video gave me tears in my eyes.

January 19, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  37. Sarah Rutherford ATL

anderson don't ruin that girls fun, she was just screaming at the top of her voice because she was happy to see you and the excitement of the day. Its not her fault, she can't help it.

January 19, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  38. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I agree Hill....I've heard a large number of people from both parties discuss how much they are looking forward to history being made and for the uplifting feeling of hope in the nation now.

And I am really impressed how well Cooper handled that crowd. Dignity all around....

January 19, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  39. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Yeah, Glen! Those are the kind I have. We should send a pair Andy's way.

And Erica, I've found it surprising the number of Republicans that have actually become excited over the upcoming administration. I honestly don't see how one couldn't be at least a bit excited.

January 19, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  40. Nana

Growing up in Africa, I never thought South Africa will be free of apartheid. I never thought Nelson Mandela will be free in my life time. That came to pass. I never thought (Rhodesia) Zimbabwe will be free. That came to pass. I had heard of a man called Dr. Martin Luther King and how he had fought for peace in America. It was not until I came to America that I got to know who Dr. Martin Luther King was and the Civil Rights Movement. I cried and cried whenever I saw documentaries about that era because it was just like I was looking at Soweto all over again. I did not understand why people hate each other just because of skin color. It is my prayer that all people in every corner of the earth know that it is their human right to be free. It is their God given right to be human. I so proud to be an American.

January 19, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  41. lisa

i never used to watch CNN as frequently as i watch it now. i just wanted to tell you anderson that my dad is watching you from nepal. you are quite an inspiration. thanks for all your awesome work!!
    lisa, Nepal

January 19, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  42. henry

Why all the talk about the first African American President now, none of the liberals were talking about that before the election. Do you think non-African American people really care if Barack Obama is black or white? I don't think so. And if this country is so racist, how did he get elected? The fact is, that the vast majority of white Americans don't care about a politicians race. They only care about what they can do for the country. Would African Americans feel the same way if the first Black President was a conserative?

January 19, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  43. Terry-Lynn Sadler

Dr. Martin L.King Jr. speech that i heard today was very deeply moving to me. As a young child of 8 years old when i heard a part of that speech * the Dream speech* but what i didnt hear was the full speech,till today. I was moved deeply.For in my eyes, I see the human race not as a part of this color or that color,but as a whole. On Nov 4th i sat watching the race results with my friend... and i never watched them before. For this reason. i never thought that anything would ever change. It seemed so long to have hope...... or even to think it would........ then it did... i cried.......not that he was a black guy but that we have come far as a people. that there is a dream....... a hope....... that change can come about.

January 19, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  44. Sheri/Santa Fe, NM

I sincerely believe the collective euphoria we're all feeling is the sense of pride we have in ourselves and in each other that we, the American people together, did the right thing in electing Barack OBama to set our great nation on a new course for the good of our country and the world. The big crowds, the celebrating and jubilation is one giant national 'high-five" we are giving to each other,finally, after 8 years of disappointment in, .dishonesty from and sometimes shame of our administration. We're coming out to hold our heads up high again.

January 19, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  45. Vani

Anderson's giggle?? Oh, my, we are in trouble. These can't be the same people that are so excited about our next president of the United States of America.

January 19, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  46. VALENCIA

Like many of you I am "IN LOVE WITH ANDERSON"! I always enjoy his broadcasts and those gorgeous blues! He has turned out to be an ACE JOURNALIST! I am just as enthusiatic about OUR new President – I am thoroughly committed and ready to follow President Obama anywhere. I am "Over the Moon" with excitement! Yes, I am willing to work hard for a better future for ALL (not just me). I AM WILLING thanks to a man named Barack and his vision called Hope...

January 19, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  47. Glen Up North

Erica – if Obama succeeds in getting most (if not all) of Congress working together for the good of the country... then that's absolutely, definitely a cause to celebrate! Here's my addition to the global hope...

January 19, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  48. Mike Schmidt

History in the making it is awesome.I can tell our neighbors that us Canadians are very excited about tomorrow and the hope it brings.At my work all everyone is talking about is the Inauguration of President Elect Obama".Dreams can come true awesome" The world leaders need to hook up and declare this day a world Holiday where the world can celebrate" Yahoo eh"

January 19, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  49. Sherrol in Canada

That choir from Nigeria, weren't they cold? They're from a warm climate.

January 19, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  50. Bonnie Noble

White woman, 41 years old, from Toronto, Ontario Canada.

I was a single mother, my son is 14 years old. He is a high achiever in school. We watch Michelle and Barack Obama and see them as people, not white, not black, just good people who are great role models for family, marriage, parenthood, education, hard work and hope.

Barack is inspiring to all but it is wonderful to see a child inspired by him and hope to be the kind of person he is sharing himself to be for humanity. That makes a parent proud.

We were in Washington 3 years ago, and plan to come back soon, as we believe it is very important to the growth of our children.

Wish I was there today.