January 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/19/09

Want to share your thoughts on tomorrow's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAMv

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Norma Susan Smith

I told my mum (90 years old) that I would call her Tuesday morning.....I hope it's not too early for her, but I think everyone should watch this historic event.

Susan, Vancouver BC

January 19, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  2. Stephanie from California

I have been glued to CNN for three days straight. I am speechless, proud, grateful and very hopeful for our country and my fellow Americans. Prayers to all our elected officials.

January 19, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  3. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Oh wow. On my television there was a bunch of amazing commercials in a row. First there was the CNN 'Let's Go' commerical which practically had me packing a bag for DC tomorrow. Then there was a small snippet by PE Obama, followed finally by the CNN Heroes commerical.

January 19, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  4. Patricia

Thank you CNN for broadcasting the pre- inauguration with
    excellence. This is truly history and all races will witness a
    dream that Dr. Martin L. King, Jr. knew would exist in
    January 2009.

Great Job!

January 19, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  5. Heidi

We all helped ourselves through the 80's and 90's. Obama has inspired us to help each other through a new time, a new day.

January 19, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  6. matt rabe

tomorrow wiil be the best change in american history and im proud to be apart of it. i know obama has a lot of work ahead of him. i beleave is the right man for the job.

January 19, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  7. Pam

What a wonderful day tomorrow will be, not because of the nationality of the President elect but because he brings hope to all of us that find the country in a very hopeless place right now!

January 19, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  8. Glen Up North

Renee – I'd be ready to say that MLK's bible is much safer kept where it is, than to risk "losing" it during transportation. And my guess is Obama's going to want to keep the copy of the bible with which he's sworn in. Any bible will do, I'm sure Obama will agree. 🙂

January 19, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  9. Lori from IL

It will be interesting to hear the inaugural address tomorrow and see if PE Obama, then President Obama, references the end of JFK's inaugural address - "Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country."

While I definitely see the lines to Lincoln and MLK, I also see a line with JFK - in 1960 no one thought a catholic could be elected president and JFK, too, represented a new generation and spoke of sacrafice and service.

I find myself getting more excited by the minute, as I read the posts on this blogs. Thanks for sharing.

January 19, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  10. Orlene

Ahahaha, Anderson, you really need some warm clothes!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  11. ericacnn

there is so much energy and excitement on this blog tonight – fantastic!

i thought it was interesting earlier when anderson and gary were talking about the lack of partisan politics and even political discussion among the many people who've come to DC.

i spoke to Kevin Madden on Sat, who said he and a number of Republicans are looking fwd to the inauguration and the administration. It would be wonderful if this unity lasts...

January 19, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  12. Terryann (Jamaica)

DON Lemon. You are a pleasure to watch....flawless. Excellent work...

January 19, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  13. Rita Brown

I would like to begin by saying i am so proud in and at this moment for Barack and Michelle Obama. I am a black woman (mother of two) full of hopes and dreams for my children, and being able to witness this historical event with my children and with the rest of the world is astounding! I was raised with an open mind to other races and cultures and have always stood on the side for the greater good. I don't think we can get better than this, change is not only what we see with our eyes, but what we feel in our spirit. My 13 yr. old son is bi-racial, with strong ties to both sides of his family. I have always emphasized to him as well as his 9yr old sister to embrace all cultures not just his, be open to new ideas, grasp as much knowledge as you can, and stay true to who you are! I see all those qualities in our future leader......I've been a supporter from the very first time i heard Barack speak, i could feel his sincerity. One person can make a difference based on his having the courage of conviction and the content of his character not the color of his skin.

January 19, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  14. TONIA NIMLEY

frist of all;I will like to thank the lord almighty for this sweet and wonderful time that he have;and thanks be to the man who made this day to come through;DR.MARTIN L. KING Jr. This the dream that he (Dr.King)was taking abuot .thanks be to God and may he bless AMERICA on this wonderful day.

January 19, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  15. mary ann -- maryland

Roderick Q - Blessings on your mom. Thank you for sharing the story of your mom and dad. It really touched me.
    This is a happy day for everyone. My heart is so full.

Peace everyone.

January 19, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  16. Bebita

Words cannot begin to express what I am feeling this weekend to see this monumental time. I am shed tears everytime I think of what this means for this country.

We've only just begun to continue Dr. King's dream. With Obama as the new president, it give me hope in myself, but it gives me that my own native home, Haiti, will also say "YES We can" just like they did more than 200 years ago when they were the first black country to fight and end slavery!!!

Yes We Can. Yes I can! yes I will!

January 19, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  17. neil kumar

I cant wait til tomorrow

January 19, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  18. Maurice Winters

Anderson thanks for all the reporting. I'm a 26 yrs old from Mississippi living the Dream. This is a beautiful moment and I just want to give thanks to all those before us that made this True. Lets get to Work

Peace Love and Happiness

January 19, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  19. Glen Up North

Terry, I have to agree. Anders could be wearing earmuffs, a huge scarf, a cap and a huge parka and I'd still gladly be seen in public with him. We're often our own worst critic...

January 19, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  20. Chris in South Carolina

It's amazing to me how quickly the transition takes place getting the Bush's moved out of the White House and the Obama's moved in, to have everything in place and ready for them. What a laborious task for the people involved in making this happen. Thanks for showing us this "behind the scenes" as it happens.

I look forward to your coverage tomorrow. This is a great country...God Bless America!

January 19, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  21. Anthony Boddie

I believe the CNN crew is the fairest and most objective news crew in the industry. John King, Wolf Blitzer, Candy, Campbell Brown, AC, Soladad O'Brien, Joe Johns, David Gergen, etc are such a balance.

January 19, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  22. Mari

I am a young student and extremely excited! history in the making and I will witness it! And thanks Anderson for braving the cold!

January 19, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  23. Renee

Just wondering..does anyone know why Obama is not using Martin Luther's Bible for his swearing in?

January 19, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  24. Rosalind

Congratulations CNN for your fine coverage of this new era for

America and the world. I wish President Elect Barack Obama and his

team every success in their term of office. God Bless the Obama's.

January 19, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  25. Cornell

I'm a Soldier station at Fort Hood, Tx currently preparing for my fourth 12 month rotation to Iraq. I have longed for change, and the time has come. This is truely a historial time, and hopefully Obama will not let us down.

January 19, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  26. tom edwards

why is so much being made about the fact that Barrack Obama is black, when his message has been that we are AMERICANS! There has been many things done by the past administration that made me ashamed to be an american...but today, i am proud, and ready to roll up my sleeves and stand side by side with my fellow americans and do the hard work that will be required to change our country, and how we will be seen in the eyes of the world...we live in a global community, now and forever, and we should set the example for the rest of the world by doing the good things...not exploiting third world economys and invading countries for thier natural resorces, putting our brave young men in harms way...for what?...the days of the greedy "old boys club" are OVER!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  27. Erica Sansbury

I can not wait to be at the Metro station @ 4a.m. to Volunteer from the Monument 4 Inauguration. This is not only a once in a life time event, but an event that will Change lives of everybody 4ever. So 4 those of U who said it would be a cold day in ............before we have a Black President, well Bundle Up!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Tommy and Sarah, I agree. Wearing fur is one of the few things I will not compromise on. It says so much about the wearer.

January 19, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  29. Valerie

Character Not Color!

January 19, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  30. Dulcie - Denver

Well, I practically never wear a hat either, Anderson. I've always lived in places with cold winters and I generally don't need one.

Unfortunately, most of my hats are pretty hideous, lol!

January 19, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  31. Drew

Will Obama attack the main and only reason the country is in finacial turmoil is that the USA is controlled by the Federal Reserve.?Past presidents such as JFK, Lincoln and others have tried and have been murdered. Its time for the end of the Federal Reserve and time to be free as freedom intended it to be.

January 19, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  32. Renee

I can not help but think what my father and grandfather would have thought about tommorrow.

January 19, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  33. Nakeia Jones

The United States of American is a melting pot and what could be so much better than a new leader with such a diverse background such as President-elect Barack Obama. The world will view the USA with a whole new prospective because of this. I am proud and am ready for the change that President Barack Obama has promised. I'm was just practicing President Barack Obama (smile), that feels good coming out of my mouth.

January 19, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  34. Veronica L

Although I was not able to vote in this election because i am only 17, i still followed and rallied for Obama for what seems almost years now. Obama's inauguration means so much not only to the African American community but to everyone in the entire world. Here is a man who is in a sense defying gravity. This election means so much to me because I was born in Kenya and my family migrated here from Africa, and so to see a person whose roots are similar to mine reach such great hights puts tears in my eyes. As I go off into the real world soon no longer will there be doors that will stop me from becoming what i truely want to be but door ways to go through. I remember during the election I would tell my mother I wish I was born earlier so I could vote for Obama. I have always heard stories of Martin Luther King Jr. from elders what a great man he was and read about Lincoln, Kennedy, and many other greats within American History. Now I can finally share in that experience and be able to tell my children and their children about my Generation's prominent American.

January 19, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  35. Terryann (Jamaica)

Anderson, yes people wave. they are not there only to be on television but they are excited. Give them a break anderson. Generally, its the normal thing to do. Thats why so many people doing it....WAVE . Just remember you are on the face of television everyday. For many of those persons, its the first. lighten up AC. Excellent work AC. love you.

EJ. You are a pleasure to watch....i know you are not as strict as AC.

January 19, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  36. Valerie

A New Country!

January 19, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  37. EJ (USA)

Yea I have classes tomorrow. I will be able to watch most of it but not all. Will CNN be replaying the entire thing after or over the next week?

Oh of course!

January 19, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  38. Lisa L

@ Renee I watch Don Lemon every weekend, the man is on point all the time he's a down to earth News Reporter , and so real. I would like to meet him and shake his hand for his work throught this week. As well as Roland Martin and Soledad Obrian.

January 19, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  39. Tommy

Glen Up North – Her appearance is during the actual ceremony so it will be outside. And she is adamant about wearing fur. That's why the concern. It is not a good image for her, Obama, or the organizers. Thanks for your comment.

January 19, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  40. darlene from canada

Many Canadians are in Washingtom too, a chance to witness history first hand
    The excitement is also spreading to the "Great White North"!
    Congratulations!

January 19, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  41. lisa

Hope you fulfill others dream like you fulfilled yours! My best wishes and congratulations – Lisa from Nepal.

January 19, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  42. Valerie

Barack Obama = Hope

January 19, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  43. Mary

During these happy moments of celebration and togetherness, lets also take a moment to truly commit to engage in great things and to actively help our leaders make this dream come true. Let's make a difference for our nation and the world. It is up to all of us.

I personally feel soooo proud and fortunate to have a great leader as our president. Let's work together to carry on with the legacy of our great nation's dreams and expectations.

Tomorrow, I will proudly fly my American flag as soon as our President Elect Barack Obama is sworn in and pray with much faith to God to guide and protect our new President Barack Obama. Peace!

January 19, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  44. Glen Up North

Sherrol: yes indeed! Thanks to CNN for extending the blog to correspond with the AC360 coverage... and thanks to Erica for sticking around here too! 😀

January 19, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  45. Bolade

I cannot begin to say how elated I am to see tomorrow's historical event. I have always been waiting for something monumental to happen in my lifetime and here it is, the day we have all been waiting. My joy is does not only come from being an African who never thought this would ever happen, but as a youth knowing that persistence and determination will always win.

January 19, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  46. dkdallas

David Gergen that hat u had on last night was great!!!!! where is it tonight?

January 19, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  47. Rich, Boston

Excellent comment Mr. Gergen!! Our current President George Bush "failed" by not showing leadership and telling Americans sacrafices were going to have to be made before deciding to invade Iraq........It is not going to be easy the next couple of years, but we are going to need to make sacrafices and draw down our troop levels in Iraq.

January 19, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  48. amanda edelen- KY

Thank you LORD!

Thank you for this day!

You sent someone who could make a difference!

I know this was your perfect plan even though we had to wait it out thru 44 presidents!

Protect him and our country thru the next 4 years(we hope 8)!
    Amen

January 19, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  49. Sarah S

Don't knock Jill Biden or Michelle Obama – they're already doing a great job – they're class acts – all things considered – plus they always look AMAZING – both of them! Its sorta nice change to see attractive people in the P, VP and 'related' roles.................

January 19, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  50. Nicaise (Caribbean)

Obama is my hero. He has renewed the hope of many people from my country. We love him.

January 19, 2009 at 11:23 pm |