January 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/19/09

Want to share your thoughts on tomorrow's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAMv

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. terry

Anderson, I think you'd look good in earmuff and it wouldn't ruffle that fabulous hair of yours.

January 19, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  2. Linda

i think its a shame so many people will not be able 2 see barack and have traveled so long.
    It is a sign of respect...to the people in the parade I hope he atleast has his family and the Biden family watch???

January 19, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  3. Lori, Ontario CANADA

love love love Andersons giggle !

Everyone is so happy tonight, its what we all need !

January 19, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  4. Teddy - New Zealand

The world is watching yall in DC. I hope Obama's team kicks in with him all the way to match the dynamism that he needs to drive the changes through. Everything will ride on teamwork, the power of one, but it will take time. Be patient America. I was so disappointed that HBO restricted the Lincoln Memorial We Are One concert to US only, man I wanted to see yall on there, all of you with Stevie, Bruce, Beyonce,Mary J and al the performers.

January 19, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  5. John R Patrick Sr.

Tuesay , Jan. 19, 2009 will be one off the greatest days in history . We all know change has come but we as a people black ,white and all colors must also change to make change happen . My children will change and so will every child as well as adults as long as we don't forget what has come to to past . Lets make it happen and let our children and grandchildren live in peace now .

January 19, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  6. MikeyB

What a truely great time... I know that times seem dire right now, but I really beleive that there is hope!!! Change may be difficult but this is nothing new to us!!!

God Bless America and our new President... Barack Obama!!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  7. Sarah Rutherford ATL

I was watching oprah when this awkward moment occured. It was hilarious!

January 19, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  8. Rachael (San Rafael, CA)

Anderson, you can surely pull off earmuffs 🙂
    Don't get too cold!

January 19, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  9. JoAnn T

What an amazing time. America can and will be united. Thank you President Obama, VP Biden and your families for your sacrifices. We are truely blessed as a country

January 19, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  10. Sam, Ewa Beach, HI

Will CNN re-air the oath and the speech in their entirety (not just clips) after 6:00EST for people who absolutely have to work from 9-5?

Yea I have classes tomorrow. I will be able to watch most of it but not all. Will CNN be replaying the entire thing after or over the next week?

January 19, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  11. Mary

During, the late 60s my Grandfather was helping a black man fix his back porch. A neighbor who faced his home who justed moved in was shouting at the black man for living on the same street. I was just seven years old and I couldn't understand why they were yelling at theblack man . . . . .. . . . it was explained to be later and this was
    my first experience with discrimination. . . . . Barack Obama helps to corrrect the injustices of the past . Bless you Barack Obama.

January 19, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  12. Sherrol in Canada

Can we still post, it's after 11pm?

January 19, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  13. Richard E. Achtymichuk (Alberta Canada)

President Obama. You have brought hope to the people and children of America. You have brought hope to us in Canada and You have brought hope to the entire World. God's Speed and God Bless

January 19, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  14. Jo

CNN'S coverage has been awesome, honest and so positive. I have had goosebumps more than once today!! God bless you all and God bless the Obama family and our Country. Keep dreaming!

January 19, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  15. Chareese in Detroit MI

I have been hooked to CNN since election night. I'm loving the detailed coverage. Thanks for keeping it interesting. America is on the way to Change!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  16. Kelly

Hi Anderson & Erica with all the great Newscasters. You all are so great.
    I feels like We in CA are there with you.
    Some of us don't believe the VP (now) broke his back. It's probably giving a message to all that during all these yrs, he worked so hard.. lol
    Also what is the Mall you keep talking about. it is by the huge Pool? is it a Mall with enclosed ceiling?
    This is a great time with everyone feeling a part of Obama. Thank God all those "high Mightiest" are gone & someone from the ordinary is coming up.. :))

January 19, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  17. Glen Up North

Chris Sosa – I agree. I have a pair of those earmuffs that go around the back of the head. Get a silver pair, Anders, and you don't have to worry... we'll still think you're grand. 😉

January 19, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  18. valerie from Canada

Erica – What are your personal thoughts? I know it's not customary for a journalist to explore and report on what is "personal" but I am just wondering if you could share your thoughts. When you take a step back from reporting, are you as blown away as we all are?

January 19, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  19. Rita - Silver Spring MD

Living in the DC Area, I am a little dissapointed to see may local folk opting out of the activities, people are coming from around the world to be here... and here we are DC & MD folks, opting out.....

January 19, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  20. Jorge Velazquez

Wow, to be alive in this moment in history. I got to see Barack and Joe in Wilmington Delaware earlier this week during the Whistlestop...we are seeing a renewal of faith in our government – We are all changed by this election. Let us all unite for the work ahead.

January 19, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  21. Susan in Sacramento, CA

So jealous I won't be able to be there in DC in person to witness history and just like Erastus, NJ said, I will be glued to my computer for live streams at 9AM Pacific!!! This entire weekend and today has been a huge national collective relieving sigh that the Bush/Cheney administration is over, it's finally over!!! Obama's words are always reminding us that this is not about him, it's about US, all of us. The last eight years, the people have been forgotten. Collectively we are ONE and look what we can do TOGETHER! Geeze, this is an amazing spirit and I hope we can sustain this enormous powerful energy. We will once again become a beacon of truth and light for the rest of the world. Thank you to all of my fellow brothers and sisters! God speed!

January 19, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  22. niwat, Chicago

@ Erica, some of us did not have the privilage to attend English-taught school, for myself, I went to a Bangkokian school so I took a personal interest to learn and study about politics.

and I come across this very website ac360.com to found that the program is by far highly dull-prooved,vibrantly debatable,robustly intelligent, thoughts-provoked and wisdom-fueled platform to be knowledgable about democracy.

great show tonight!!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  23. Neal

The people waving is a beautiful backdrop. Happy people have been in the backdrop supporting CNN all day. They make us wish we could be with there with them .

January 19, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  24. Nicole

I would just like to say that as a Canadian...I am so pleased on having Barack Obama as our president of the United States....

I think Barack will do so much better then what Bush has done...in the past...

Hopefully its not gonna be to hard....

anyways Good for you Barack Obama.....

wish you all the best

January 19, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  25. Sarah

I agree with Tommy. Aretha should not wear a fur coat tomorrow. Hopefully, the Inaugural Committee will get that message.

January 19, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  26. Retta Fane

I wish I could be there with you all, but I can't . So i'll stay glued to my television. I thought I'd never see this day but look at us. My family is in Washington celebrating . Look for them . The Mayberry family from Fresno /Pasadena Calif.
    Henrietta Fane

January 19, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  27. tita Gee

Obama being sworn in tomorow as first African- America n president is great but by Mr. Obama taking the oath i feel like the America my grand-parents told me about is reborn.This is a sweet land of liberty and i can feel and see how beautiful is America. God bless America and Obama.

January 19, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  28. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

All right, so here's my "oath" to go with PE Obama's tomorrow:

As a citizen of the human race and a living being on this planet, I swear to be kinder than I have in the past. I promise to always find a way to help others, no matter what situation I am in. I promise to remember that we are all equal and, in the end, all just want peace and love and that great feeling of hope. I promise to reach out and speak up for those who have lost their voice or whose words are falling on deaf ears. I promise to make a difference – one way or another.

Anyone else have any oaths?

January 19, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  29. Susan

I love our new President.

January 19, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  30. orichinal

i cant believe how much coverage is on this historic event. i cant be apart of it but ill be watching on TV. cant wait to see the changes

January 19, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  31. Donna Walker-Kuhne

The unity in the world created by the election of President elect Obama has forever changed the way we connect to each other. I am filled with tremendous hope for the next 4 years as we all work together to deliver the best life, the best product we possible can, living our best self.

January 19, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  32. ann

I wish that I could be there with “You….All” on the Mall during this momentous occasion as the “Legacy” continues.

Take care,
    Ann.

January 19, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  33. Michele

To dream is to live...to live is to hope...to hope is to love...to love is to see no color...

God Bless the Obama family as they take this journey with all of the world...

January 19, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  34. Suzanna

oh my gosh!!
    im so excitied about the inauguration tomorow..
    too bad ill bad at school during it, so i have to record it.
    .i wish i could meet barack obama..
    that would be the best thing in the world..

by the way anderson cooper, ur the most awesome news person ever..
    🙂

January 19, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  35. Dave from College Station

Some 49 years ago, when I was six years old, my mother used to struggle to explain why there were four bathrooms and two water fountains in New Orleans Public Library. I never thought I'd see the day when a black man became our president. This is not just liberating for African-Americans. It throws off the burden of racism for us, the children of the perpetrators, the white descendants of those Southerners who perpetrated Jim Crow. I am so happy!

January 19, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  36. Miranda M

Anderson-

Gorgeous film by Mr. Fuqua. Of Martin Luther King Day a promise of hope for all for if not by sheer determination than by love.

Miranda

January 19, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  37. SimplyTK

This is an amazin' day in the World's History!

January 19, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  38. Lisa L

Please don't talk about the Queen Of Soul like that Aretha Franklin is a BBF Sista and she is Proud of it Tommy.

January 19, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  39. AJ in Arizona

Exciting inaguaration! Obama, don't turn your backs when you deal with our supposed allies the Brits.

January 19, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  40. Fahamu Pecou

Throughout the day much emphasis has been put on Obama's race. Though being the first African-American U.S. president is significant, we must not make light that this man, President Obama, is a extremely intelligent and capable individual. We should be focused on that as much as, if not more than the simple fact of his ethnicity. We will truly be past the racial divides of this nation when we get past the qualifying adjectives such as race when describing people. God-speed America!

January 19, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  41. Bobbi Jo Free

The new “N” word in America is for Nobility. Excitement and gratitude are two of the words that describe how I feel about the growth towards oneness in the hearts and minds of the American people. For most of my life, words like disappointment and anger have come up for what I would hear and witness from both family and strangers around racial attitudes. I am so thankful for the election of President Obama. The generational diversity of our president and the youth & vitality of our new first family will bring greater hope and possibilities for the youth in America. Trust and love, joy and laughter are other feelings that can go a long way to heal and rebuild a country that we are all proud to be a part of. I am so happy to know that the promise of tomorrow is something we are already working on today.

January 19, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  42. Joelle W.

I'm so proud to be alive right now.
    It's kind of unimaginable how tommorrow we will have our first african-american president.
    i'd like to say, although i am not at the mall right now or even on the east coast, i still a part of these momentous days.
    i am sure Dr. King is looking down upon us smiling.
    jan.20th should be a holiday too!! :]

January 19, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  43. Deborah

This inauguration is the coolest and Americans seems so united right now. I hope we hold on to it!!!!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  44. EJ (USA)

EJ (USA), It may not sound like it, but even if I do not agree with someone I respect everyone’s point of view and I am always willing to talk out differences. If you don’t listen you don’t learn.

I wouldn't think otherwise Jo Ann.

January 19, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  45. Kenneth Young

I thank the lord that I am alive during some of the greatest advancements in humankind. Then just when I believed morality had reached its unjumpable hurdle we as a country have overcome again, and showed the world that Americans still stand united when situations call us to do so. God Bless Barack Obama. God bless America

January 19, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  46. Lady M Munoz

My family & I are overwhelmed with excitement and pride over the events of the past six months. We can't contain ourselves waiting for tomorrow's historical day. Our only sadness is that our father isn't here to witness it. We congratulate the new first family.

The Munoz- Alfonso Family

January 19, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  47. Scott

I don't beleive the whole story about VP Cheney being in a wheel chair.

January 19, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  48. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I completely agree Glen. It's all right to be excited, but waving and screaming is just selfish.

January 19, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  49. will

I enjoy the talk about how much money this is costing 150 million is small when in comparision to Bush war tab give me a break enjoy this week and let's take this nation back up to first class and with pilot Obama no more coach !!!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  50. Glen Up North

Tommy – if any of Aretha's past live pictures are of any indication, I would dare say she'll be wearing an elegant, long gown with shoulder garb going down to the ground. I'm hoping that shoulder garb will be of the same fabric as the dress... and, true, no fur.

January 19, 2009 at 11:14 pm |