January 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/19/09

Want to share your thoughts on tomorrow's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAMv

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Bruce Dunn

This President is serious our CHANGE!
    He is not playing games – he has alot to clean up and I'm happy to see that he will not waste any time getting to work after he is sworn in.
    I applaud that dedication – hopefully he doesn't burn out before accomplishing his goals.

January 19, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  2. Clarence Albuquerque

This evening has been just too fun. I didn't think I'd be watching the coverage the nite before inauguration. Good for America.

January 19, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  3. Pati Mc

Hi Mr. Gergen! Fear not, you have never left us down yet and I feel quite certain that you never will. 🙂

Aw, Anderson, your little face looks positvely frozen! You look very handsome in your Chesterfield though. I envy you being there, cold or no. We can tell you are having fun with the peeps.

Absolutely so excited for tomorrow that I doubt I will sleep tonight. Thanks gang for bringing the excitement straight into our living rooms.You are simply THE BEST. Love ya!

January 19, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  4. Charles

The enormity of this auspicious time is beyond calculation. We are living in a chapter of history that will require its on table of contents.... We will not be left out of this period of history. The textbook writers will have to include us in this century, not only as charicatures on the margin of books, but as the main subject.

January 19, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  5. Scott

Will CNN re-air the oath and the speech in their entirety (not just clips) after 6:00EST for people who absolutely have to work from 9-5?

January 19, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  6. Jeannette

I believe that tomorrow is a moment of true social history. It is a time to celebrate and be grateful for, and to demonstrate that social equality, be it race or gender, or anything of that sort, is not just a concept anymore.

January 19, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  7. Dr. Adams

We are witnessing history! Thanks for the great coverage CNN!

January 19, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  8. lee

Erica, why did they turn off the webcameras? anderson said you were doing a webcast

January 19, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  9. AJ in Arizona

Anderson:
    You are the BEST! Well done and God Bless Obama! Things can only be a mess from the past administration but what bravery to take it on and hang tough for America!

January 19, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  10. Mary Beth

The strength of American democracy is its peaceful transition of power, regardless of who the president is. It is about the office, not the person, and 360 should not negate the office

January 19, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  11. Jean A Colston

Here is a statement from a minister in San Diego at a MLK Program last evening – Dr King had a dream and if you have a dream you MUST do three things
    WAKE UP
    GET UP
    DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR DREAM

What a challenge to all of us

January 19, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  12. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Yeah, Andy. You can get non-embarrassing ear muffs. But I wouldn't be caught in one of those hats either...

I think I'm going to be catching the inauguration at the Curry Student Center, although I'm sure the center will be crazy.

January 19, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  13. Kathy, Chicago

These details are awesome. Mr Obama will have his plate full right from the starting gate tomorrow.

January 19, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  14. Glen Up North

Kim – that's tricky. Does that mean people are celebrating when they wave to the camera on any other day? I'm kinda with Anderson on this one: great to see their smiling faces, but please leave the focus on what Anderson is trying to say. "Hi Mom" moments (if that's what they are) aren't for what most people are watching AC360.

January 19, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  15. Neal

There are those of us that embrace diversity and unity of all people, on Wednesday we will return to work, working with and for people that embrace the ways of forty-six years ago. God Bless America and our new president.

January 19, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  16. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Okay, so PE Obama is taking a very important oath tomorrow. I think it's only right that we, as fellow Americans, should post our own oaths as a way to embrace this change and hope.

January 19, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  17. Kevit

This historical moment has been a work in process. Though the job is not complete, this makes the work much lighter. This is such a joyous moment.

January 19, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  18. Mike in KC

To be on the eve of history is extremely exciting. Unfortunately, I have to work tomorrow, but will be glued to the TV in a conference room to watch history happen.
    I am soooo excited to see Barak Obama take the Oath of Office. It will be a moment I will never forget.
    Anderson, we all would love to hear your personal thoughts on this historic event.
    Please take time to let us know what you are thinking.

January 19, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  19. june mitchell

Congratulations to Presendent Obama elect.From LISTUGUJ First Nations in Quebec CANADA. DREAMS really come true. God BLESS AMERICA. WISH i could be there.

January 19, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  20. Rodrick Q, Pixley

I am very proud of America today. She has now taken flight in a direction, that as black man i never dreamed I would ever live to see. I was born in the year 1963. My father was a staff sargent in WW2. That faced racism even after serving his contry & paying taxes that faught the good fight that made it so I never had to ride the back of the bus or be told I could not go to the same school as little white boys and girls. He died over 10years ago. This is truely a momment I wish he could be here to share with my mother who is now well into her winter years. All the years that he worked at his craft of being a local 41 union brick layer traveling up and down the east cost when there was no work in our area. He starting out making only fifty cent an hour, and she was a school teacher/ maintainance woman cleaning offices till 1:00 am five days a week for many years untill she had to retire. she was a self employed hair stylist in Agusta GA, back in the spring years of her life, as she began raising 6 chldren that all live through the madness during the sixties. Every penny spent for this inogral is just and upstandingly right . God bless this great nation may we all now live the dream of imagination left us by John lenon. Peace....

January 19, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  21. Glen Up North

Sharlene – I'm with you. This is the first time I'm close to envious of my American neighbors. Looking forward to see what comes soon! 🙂

January 19, 2009 at 11:08 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

EJ (USA), It may not sound like it, but even if I do not agree with someone I respect everyone's point of view and I am always willing to talk out differences. If you don't listen you don't learn.

January 19, 2009 at 11:08 pm |
  23. Renee

@ Rita and Lisa: I had never seen Don Lemon before this weekend! Wow! What fun reports he produced this weekend. It was good to see him with some of his viewers. He really intregrated a lot of "real" folks in his reports.

January 19, 2009 at 11:08 pm |
  24. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I know Glen....well, I'm all up for keeping the celebration going!

January 19, 2009 at 11:08 pm |
  25. ericacnn

Kathy, there is dress coverage ahead - stay tuned!

January 19, 2009 at 11:08 pm |
  26. Carmion

Thanks for letting the people wave, I'm waving back at them wishing I was there.

God bless the USA!

January 19, 2009 at 11:07 pm |
  27. Mike, Syracuse NY

@CaseyJ, regarding JoAnn's comment, many will be left out because many of Obama's promises were to the left fringe of his party and are not consistent with mainstream ideas. There is much common ground, and if Obama sticks to that much can be done to benefit all. But if he governs from the left, it will be ideology all over again, just in reverse, and he'll be gone in 4 years.

January 19, 2009 at 11:07 pm |
  28. Stephen Wilkerson Maryland

Anderson,

I agree with Bridget, to those who are complaining for spending $150 million on the inauguration; I promise you the rest of us will make it up 10 fold in Community Service. The country needs this.

Drew

January 19, 2009 at 11:07 pm |
  29. Tommy

Tomorrow, Aretha Franklin will be seen by millions around the world.

Hopefully, she won't wear any of her fur coats. Doing so would not be a good image for Obama or the Inaugural Committee.

January 19, 2009 at 11:07 pm |
  30. Sharon

WOW! I have never seen so much excitement on this blog before!

I Know how you all feel it is so Great and I do cannot wait for the NEW President to take office I feel we will see Great Changes and we again will be proud to be Americans!

I have faith in Obama and I know you all do too!

I am not sure I can sleep tonight either waiting for tomorrow!

I will be Watching CNN for my coverage the best CNN!!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  31. valerie from Canada

Seeing as all of those people are going to be staying up all night on the lawn at the mall....maybe we should show our support and pull an all nighter along with them, watching CNN all night long. I doubt they will get any sleep.

January 19, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  32. Glen Up North

Wow! 11:06 PM and we're still rolling on the blog? CNN is _really_ enthusiastically allowing us to be enthusiastic! 😀

January 19, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  33. David, Indiana

Enjoyed Tom Foreman's report on Inauguration Day activities from the opening "land rush" on the mall at 4am throughout the day.

Anderson, important report on the hats, gotta wear that headgear to keep warm.

Erica, A fun squasher? I have never heard that term. See you learn so much watching this inaugural coverage.

January 19, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  34. dkdallas

great taupe AC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  35. EJ (USA)

erica – tell anderson to put that sexy scarf from ellen back on!

I liked that scarf too! It looked good on Anderson.

January 19, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  36. Lori from IL

Bridget in Texas - Well said about the money being spent on the inauguration. I loved your story - thanks for sharing.

January 19, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  37. Erastus, NJ

I think every boss should understand if their employees under-produce tomorrow. I'm sure most people at work, including me, will be glued to the computer, watching live streams of the inauguration.........sorry boss 😦 .

January 19, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  38. Phil

Anderson,

I'm with you on folks waving on TV (look foolish), and on wearing hats (I can't pull it off either).

January 19, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  39. Kim

Anderson – Lighten up! People waving is a pet peeve? How about allowing people to celebrate without judging them? They are not harming anyone and I am sure others like me are enjoying their enthusiasm.

January 19, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  40. maria

God Bless America

God Bless Obama and Family

January 19, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  41. Deena

Great Coverage Guys! A++++ deena

January 19, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  42. Lisa L

@ Rita.. Don Lemon's Hat was pretty smooth he is FINE!!! please let him know I watch CNN to see his beautiful smile.. 🙂

January 19, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  43. g michael

Watching the old footage of MLK walking the bridge
    he is wearing a Hawaiian Lay. Very interesting.

January 19, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  44. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I am looking forward to this new crazy "Moment" technology that CNN has put together for us.

What will they think of next?

January 19, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  45. Donna

What a beautiful way to start the week. All the events taking place has been so inspirational. It is such a good feeling of renew hope. It feels as if all the broken bones are rejoicing in place. The people are proud . The dream is no longer a dream but a reality of what the founders intended on what America really should be. This is not about one race, this is about "UNITED" States of America.

January 19, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  46. Renee

Goodness Anderson has too many rules for himself - no dancing, no hats and no waving!

January 19, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  47. Brandi - bottom of the boot

goodnite all!

January 19, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  48. Sharlene

I am Canadian. For the first time in my life, I want to become an American citizen!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  49. Maureen T

Don't cover the hair Andy, I always need to know where you are in the crowd! 🙂 You do need a scarf though!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  50. Erastus, NJ

I wish I could have made it to DC, gotta work, envy your job Anderson.

January 19, 2009 at 11:02 pm |