January 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/19/09

Want to share your thoughts on tomorrow's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAMv

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Barbara in Boston

I hate to tell ya this, but those red ears are no fashion statement.

Get a hat!

January 19, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  2. Bee

Your MLK bit clip said;blacks and whites,rich and poor,catholic and protestant, this and that, but NOT straights and gays. Don't you CNN people screen what you show.CNN just craps on gays again !
    Thanks for the Gene Raymond story coverage- NOT.

January 19, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  3. Kathy, Chicago

AC, you need to loose the pride and don a hat or muffs! What about the dress? We all know that is the most important part of tomorrow night.

January 19, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  4. ann

How about asking everyone in DC tomorrow no matter where they are standing/seated to watch those around them nearby or anywhere in their sight–to watch to see if they need help AND to watch for suspicious activity, guns, etc–lets' al help each other and our new President & VP and their families stay safe all day tomorrow by being extra eyes & ears for our security wokers........

January 19, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  5. Rich, Boston

I am saddened that Tim Russert will not be with us as history is made tomorrow.......I'm sure he will be with us in spirit!!

God Bless the Russert family.

January 19, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  6. Eunice

My husband and I are station overseas (State Department)Wish I am in DC right now I can feel the fever just by watching CNN its amazing. Hope is a good thing and that's what we all have right now!

January 19, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  7. Lori from IL

Loved the has shots - but you missed David Gergen's and it was awesome to see the Gerg in a wide brimmed hat on Saturday. And yes, I second Erica's question - where's your hat Anderson. Are you really that vain?

January 19, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  8. Maureen, Georgia

Sharon that's such a good idea, that would be another sign of togetherness.

January 19, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  9. kim in kanada

erica – tell anderson to put that sexy scarf from ellen back on!

January 19, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  10. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Ohh that's why Anderson wont wear a hat....he doesn't want the other anchors making fun of him! 🙂 Awesome shot of the day! Baseball cap with ear flaps! Yes! I would love to see Anderson in one of those!

Have a good night Anderson, Erica, David and bloggers! And have an amazing day tomorrow! Take time to celebrate a little bit! After the last 8 years we deserve it!

January 19, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  11. Clarence Albuquerque

AC .. the people on the Washington Mall who want to wave are not in your space.... you are in the people's space.

January 19, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  12. Bridget, Cypress, Tx

To those who are complaining and don't feel PE Obama was wrong for spending $150 milliobn on the inauguration, I remember what my mom said. We were poor growing up, and weren't able to attend after school activities, go on field trips and wore torn shoes until my dad was paid and if we had any extra. I won a school contest and was invited to the school superintendent party... it never occurred to me that I would be able to attend because I knew we couldn't afford the dress and shoes. But, my mom said, there are time when we need to sacrifice and make away for special occasions and this was a special occasion. She called my aunt and she paid for my shoes, our neighbor did my hair for free, my mom bought my dress and two neighbors paid for my shawl.

I think, this is one of those special occasions:)

January 19, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  13. Patti from WV

We are indeed blessed to have such a leader as the 44th president to be – Barack Obama. On the eve of his Inauguration everyone – all those on the national mall and all those joining by TV and computer are one in spirit – the spirit of hope that we – all of us together – will change the course of America. God Bless America and God Bless our new president.

14. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Mike, Syracuse, NY, Nicely said!

15. Sophia (Illinois)

Thank you, CNN, for all the great work you do. I'm a huge fan of all of you...Anderson Cooper, John King, Wolf, Cambell, Gloria, Roland, Soledad, Erica, just to name a few. You're my main National News Station.

God Bless you all and here's to the next four years. I pray that Obama is a Success! We all certainly deserve it!

16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, David Gergen and Best bloggers!!!!
    Have a great night and Sleep tight!!!!!
    See you tomorrow night!!!
    Don't forget check your schedule begin 7pm tomorrow night to watch Cooper!!!! Poor Anderson with out his hat!!!! LOL!

17. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I think AC360 needs a hat week where Cooper wears a new hat every day. 😉

What a wonderful day. I hope everyone celebrates safely tomorrow and decides to truly embrace the ideas of hope and change.

We are the future.

Night everyone!

18. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Love the "hat" parade! Great coverage tonight! Looking forward to seeing tomorrow's coverage. I'll be watching CNN all day! Nite all!

19. EJ (USA)

Thanks for admitting that a hat would interfere with your beautiful hair Anderson. We all knew that was the reason. : )

20. Don, WA

Hat's off to the shot today.

21. Glen Up North

Where did the time go? I think this has been my fave AC360 blog experience so far. (No offense, Anderson, as I know you didn't have the time to type, if you even have a laptop near you) Goodnight to all, Anderson, Erica, CNN and bloggers: love you!

22. valerie from Canada

Good one Erica, ribbing Anderson about not wering a hat. Did he just say it would interfer with his toupee???

23. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I have to give David Gergen the "Top Hat award." I don't care who does or doesn't wear a hat, but Mr. Gergen was oh so suave and smart to keep his brains warm.

24. Sam, Ewa Beach, HI

yea. It would be cool if Erica was on the mall or at the top of the newseum too. That would be an awesome group.

PS: Haha this hat segment is awesome for "the shot".

Soledad's first hat was the best ever!!!
    Haha GO Erica!

25. Dave

Why all of a sudden is their such an overwhelming emphasis on Obama's Race! There was never so much focus for the last 2+ years, nor is it what (in my opinion) Obama is limited to.
    We're One Nation.
    One People.
    One.

Peace
    -Dave
    Miami Fl.

26. Brandi - bottom of the boot

i love don lemon! and his hat! roland's hat was awesome too!

anderson, you should get a beer hat! lol toupee????? omg

27. margi

we are streaming the CNN broadcast at work to our 60+ employees who want to be a part of the day. conference room set up, pot luck to celebrate!

28. Kristin - Buffalo, NY

Erica Hill – I'll be watching the beginning of the coverage alone, as my apartment-mates (and fellow college students) aren't early risers. I'll move to the common room to watch with whoever else is lucky enough not to have class on Tuesday mornings while IM-ing, texting, Facebooking, and calling friends and family for the remainder of the ceremony. I can't wait!

29. chris

where is your hat anderson

30. Scott from Columbia, SC

Hats? Any chance we'll find out what David Gergen was wearing Saturday afternoon during CNN's live coverage? I've always been a fan of Gergen's commentary, but now I'm a fan of his haberdasher. Seriously — tell us where he got that.

31. Harmony

I am very emotional because I really did not believe that we, America, could move forward toward a better tommorow. "If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress.”-Barack Obama

32. Sharon

Anderson,
    I am so happy to see you tonight I missed you last week! You look good, stay warm!

I am so happy to everyone so excited and happy about tomorrow I pray it goes well and smoothly!

33. EJ (USA)

Joanne, you should come down to Cincinnati and have lunch with me and we can further discuss this Obama thing.

34. Andrea

This is the dawning of a new day and my 3 sons future just got brighter.

35. SGT Hardnett-Bolton

Thank you for making the dream a reality. I will be honored to call you my "Commander In Chief". Thank you again

36. Sherrol in Canada

Gees, this hour just zoomed by...Good night everyone and have a great, enlightened day tomorrow.

Cheers and salut! to everyone at CNN who is going to the Huffington Post party tonight.

37. Glen Up North

This is so weird a contrast: I'm waxing positive about Obama's inauguration, while a song to which I'm listening just spoke derogatorily of George W. Bush. To me, that's a contrast: to see people be so positive of their (future) leader is absolutely great to see (and hear)!

38. Bill Byers

Just thinking about the average people attending the inaugeration.Its a great time for all of us and I wish I could be there. Could you report on how it is for the people there who don't have a ticket. How does a person make their way around. Might also be a great story to follow someone around from A to Z.

39. Renee

@ Erica: Both of our children's schools are watching the Inaguration Live and wearing red, white and blue. I guess it helps when there parents are both on the Boards on each of the schools. We wouldn't have it any other way. You should be in DC with the rest of the 360 team. Good to see on Saturday AM live in DC.

40. Lori from IL

Erica -

I, too, am surprised to learn that your friend's 11 year old class is not talking about the inauguration. This should be what educators like to call a "teachable" moment.

January 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  41. Amanda in D.C.

I truly think that it's great that Barrack Obama broke barriers to be where he is. I do hope that when he was elected that it wasn't because of his color but on his qualifications. While his inauguration is a historic event I think the media and Hollywood have really made the inauguration not as exciting as it should be. I believe there has been way too much focus on his color...what about his white counterpart? Has everyone forgot that he is half white as well? Has everyone forgotten about the economy as well? If Barrack Obama really cares about his country and wants to tackle the economy in his first year, he should not allow for such extravagance for his inauguration. 160 million dollars of wasted money. Do you hear the Republicans mentioning this high amount while the Democrats were very vocal about Bush spending money on his? Politics works in funny ways.

January 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  42. Fannethia

I have just been speechless much of today. It gives me chills to know that color has been added to that photo of presidents past and celebrate this historic moment close to the day we celebrate Dr. King's legacy and what he fought so passionately for. Amazing!

January 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  43. Rosa

I wish that I could be there with you guys to be a apart of this historical event, i am so proud be be an American Latina. I am estactic to have a new president named Barack Obama. I voted, and I am proud!!
    My daughter and I will witness apart of history together.

Thank You, President Obama, I know change is coming.

January 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  44. Gisselle - Houston TX

Happy MLK Day to everyone – I am counting the hours to inauguration – literally counting each passing second. I will be with my family glued to the TV watching CNN's coverage.

Thank you Anderson and all of you hard working CNN folks for giving us a free ticket to all of the pre-inaugural and inauguration events – I am in Texas, but I feel like I've been in DC since Saturday morning, thank you so much!

And thank you MLK for making this dream possible.

January 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  45. Tammi in New Jersey

I just want to thank President Barack Obama for being fearless! So many African Americans started the run and Mr. Obama finished he race strong!
    Thanks America for congealing during this woderful euphoria! We have overcome!

January 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  46. Vanessa, El Paso,TX

I dont about you guys but i definitly have some chills

January 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  47. Maureen, Georgia

Goodnight everyone, PE Obama will work his heart out for everyone & I think the people who doubt him will get to love him as our president once they see him working for them too. Happy inaugeration day tomorrow.

January 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  48. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Erica, we're having a party at my house for the inauguration. Some friends are coming over and my family members are taking longer lunch breaks...how could they not?

Oh, and amazing footage of Obama's speech with the video footage. My heart both aches and sings.

January 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  49. margi

Tomorrow brings the most exciting moment in my life history. Obama brings new hope to our nation and my children's future. God bless us all

January 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  50. cody

hello anderson wats up america. Tomorrow is a huge day for everyone and a great stepping stone for america as we get one step closer to fulfilling martin luther kings dream. I am very excited for president elect barrak obama to be sworn in. Your not goin to be able to get me away from the screen.

January 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm |