January 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/19/09

Want to share your thoughts on tomorrow's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAMv

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. gill

As a Chinese Canadian citizen, born and raised in South Africa, I remember watching with pride, the peaceful end to apartheid – something my parents never believed they would witness in their lifetime. Now, watching America reach an end to their long, hard fought journey, it fills me with a sense of optimism and pride that YES WE CAN affect significant change in the world

January 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  2. Grady

Too much money spent if our economy is what they say it is. I cannot understand how they can justify it. I am still watching AC360 because Anderson is entertaining and for the history aspect.

January 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  3. barb

Watching my own daughter who is 20 get into this election and ask questions as to how and why it all worked on election night. She asked me a question today that is one I have asked many times. We have all kinds of National holidays, why is Inauguration Day not a National Holiday? I told her I had no idea but agreed with her.

January 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  4. Kela

I would like to make a shout out to antoine fuqua
    for making that video. By the way I am from Franklinton, North Carolina

January 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  5. Lesa, TN

Black and White Together. I love it.

God Bless America!

January 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Rita - Silver Spring MD

I vote for Don Lemons hat today – slick

January 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Sharon

I will be lucky enough to watch it from my home tomorrow and record it for my husband who will be at work! I wish employers would allow that time so everyone could see it and Join together to unite for a at least one hour!

January 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Clarence Albuquerque

That was powerful snippet from PE Obama. thanks for catching the piece and for showing it.

January 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Wow that was an incredible video! Amazing!!! Truly inspiring!

January 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Sherrol in Canada

Powerful, powerful film........Amen!

January 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Melissa Boss

As a native Texan from Central Texas, the home of Lyndon Baines Johnson (one of our nation's greatest leaders in the fight for Civil Rights), I want to congratulate every African American across the country...you deserve to celebrate this wonderful time in our nation's history! Embrace it and enjoy it!!!! Let us all celebrate this moment and use it to change the course and tenor or race relations! God Bless Barack Obama and God Bless the USA!

January 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Bob Franco

Anderson,
    Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow and can't watch the inauguration. Will you have it in its entirety on CNN.com so I can watch it later?

January 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  13. CaseyJ - Detroit

JoAnn, I still don't believe you will be left out regardless of how Obama frames himself to the public.

BTW, Happy Martin Luther King Day to everyone! I don't think remembering MLK (this day) meant much to me until now. Now I truly believe it is extremely important, maybe because there IS hope attached to his memory and we're starting to realize it for some (finally).

Thanks for the great coverage 360! Good night bloggers!

January 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  14. danie

Hello AC.
    I love you and watched CNN throughout the election. I am honored to be born in this lifetime to see this historical moment. I hope all people realize how far we have come as a nation and how far we must go.The dream is still alive!!

Enjoy,
    Danie
    Chicago

January 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  15. Marilyn FL

Happy MLk Day Anderson! I notice every other coment u say is what HUGE economic will b facing d Prez- he knows this so does d country! Let us bash in this moment of history! U stay on ur messg of gloom daily America want change and we wil have it cnn should start a new way of reporting/commenting or vewiers like me will make a CHaNgE! Y didnt cnn demand anwers from Bush these past 2 months of d mess he was leaving 4 Obama?

January 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  16. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Andy, glad to know that I'm not the only one who finds obnoxious waving at cameras to be extremely irritating. 🙂

And Erica, you're not the first to mention something to that effect. Apparently civic and governmental instruction has become very lacking in the younger grades. Hopefully that will change.

January 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  17. Maureen T

Antoine Fuqua's tribute to MLK is very moving. Moving me to tears...how far the USA has come!

January 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  18. David, Indiana

Sounds like a great party on the mall and at the Huffinton Post ball.

Erica it is hard to believe the inauguration is here already, on the one hand, but on the other hand, it couldn't come soon enough, no offense to anyone in a previous admin. It is time for a new president.

I thought Jill Biden's faux pas was funny kind of a nice spontaneous moment. Who was saying that Hillary could maybe give him a liitle ribbing if he sort of got into her Secretary of State duties?

January 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  19. Sam, Ewa Beach, HI

Erica,

Im a sophomore in college and there was not much conversation on previous elections when I was in high school or elementary. Non of my previous classes ever showed an inauguration. In college (U of Oregon) there is much talk and much promotion.

Anderson should let them wave. They all smile when they are waving.

January 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  20. Mike, Syracuse NY

"@Mike in Syracuse. Bull. We’re incredibily provincial and narrow-minded, primarily because of the stranglehold of religious zealouts. And, we’re more interested in the “game” of justice than we are in what’s right and wrong."

@CaseyJ, I have to disagree. Even Obama said that in no other country on Earth would his story be possible. I'm not saying America is perfect, but I don't see people trying to sneak OUT of the USA for opportunity. The zealots (on both sides) are a small percentage. Most Americans are in the middle and are fair.

January 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  21. Glen Up North

Erica : there are no TV's available (to my knowledge) with a cable connection where I'll be rehearsing. Please, can you pass the message to the powers that be at CNN that it would be greatly appreciated if CNN could re-run the inauguration coverage after AC360 tomorrow night?

January 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  22. Julie - Boston

I am off to bed. Lets all reflect tonight, before you drift off to sleep on how YOU will be the change you want to see. Obama is one man, he can only inspire the rest of us to be better individuals. The rest is up to us. What will YOU do...

May God bless us all.

January 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  23. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Go to Huffington party or freeze watching Anderson's show in the mall? Tough question Anderson asked the crowd!

However, I agree with Anderson, when you are watching the show, seeing people wave or try to get in the camera's view can be very distracting.

January 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  24. Lori Hornby

I am Canadian. I am so excited that Obama is becoming President!!!! I am 47 years old. I was brought up to absolutely enjoy all black entertainers. The first one being Aretha Franklin. Wow! I just heard that she will be singing on Tuesday.Congratulaions on such an historical , brave memorable day. Mrs. Hornby

January 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

EJ
    You're welcome!!!!! Hope you will watching tv CNN tomorrow morning!

January 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  26. maria

God Bless America

God Bless Obama and Family

January 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  27. Sherrol in Canada

Ms Huffington seems to know how to throw a grand party. Have a few drinks for me and everyone else Anderson and Erica...Enjoy!

January 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  28. Bill Vincent

Let Freedom Ring in our great country!! – Bill in Wisconsin

January 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  29. Sharmene - Cayman Islands

Hello David Gergen,

I feel like I know you, having watched you so much throughout the Primaries, I have no doubt that you will give us excellent coverage as usual.

January 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  30. Mel Johnson

Tomorrow is a very special day for most African-Americans. We will have a very educated Blak man to lead this nation to a new begining .We pray the Lord will the new President in the way he would have him goto move this country the way he would have it go God has blessed him tremendously over the last two years. We love you Mr. President

January 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  31. jermaine fernandez

This a prayer for my president and his family ( Barack Obama).

I pray that GOD keeps you and your family strong.And keep your heart, mind and spirit on jesus and let him use you. That is probably the only thing I worry about because I know how easy people can get off track. So I encourage you to stay focus focus focus focus and more focus on the goals you have set for you and your staff, and set new goals for all as a nation. GOD BLESS AMERICA AND YOU FROM JERMAINE FERNANDEZ from CHICAGO southside.

January 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  32. Stephen Wilkerson Maryland

Juanita Tyley,

Yes we are all Americans tonight. One country one people, I'm so proud....

Drew

January 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  33. Marcia

How marvelous to live in a country where the citizens are free to choose their leaders. We are celebrating democracy. We are the most fortunate people on the face of the Earth.

January 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  34. Luc

Thanks, Anderson, for helping us from far away (California) feel like we are there with you on the mall...thanks for helping us all be part of these historic moments...

January 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  35. George

I am 52 years old and never thought that I would see this day.

January 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  36. Gini Stewart

I have been watching cnn all week end, the train ride to Washington and the whole lot. It is wonderful to see all the blacks young and old with their bright eyes and glowing faces with such hope. It gives me such hope for all of us black and white and all colours. I have never been so happy about a president in my life. I knew it would come, it was just a matter of time.
    Gini

January 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  37. Cody Jones- Mesa, AZ

I am so excited for Obama to take office. It is time for a change. Can't wait to see the changes!

January 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  38. Keith Dahling

For Wednesday's commentary – Dick Cheney's back injury.
    Truth has not always been his friend. Here is my take on the back strain- First possibility; the staffers decided they were fed up with him and just decided "I can't be fired at this point so do it yourself..."
    Second possibility; MR Cheney was trying to remove boxes of material which he DID NOT want others to see... I am sure that would be a very heavy box!!!

God Bless America and I hope I won't feel the same about the administration eight(8) years from tonight ...

January 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  39. Glen Up North

Mike (not Mike in Syracuse, but the other Mike) – that's where I think you're wrong. What's different here is that people are positive about the outcome. If the people truly believe in their leader, then they'll be ready to follow him even if the news he brings is not exactly what they want to hear. And unescapably bringing in a different viewpoint to the White House, just Obama being Obama will help to usher in change. True, he is only a man, but he is quite a different man (in a good way) from those who've preceeded him in the presidential seat. That is where my hope lies in Obama.

January 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  40. vincent

@David G. you could never let us down!! Neither will Anderson and all of the anchors, reporters, staff and crew...you guys are the best at sharing an experience in realtime.'

Why isn't Erica in DC too?

January 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  41. sandy

Let's call all these events at the mall Barackstock. This is like Woodstock but without the acid: the only thing people are high on now is Barack Obama himself.

January 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  42. Charles

The gentleman who spoke about how Mr. Obama will deal with the problem of spending too much. I wonder where is voice was when the Bush adm. started spending millions a month on a war in Iraq. It will be quite easy to blame the new adm. for a trillion dollar defict when the blame should be on the rap sheet of the Mr. Bush.

January 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  43. EJ (USA)

Thanks Megan : )

January 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  44. Tricia Michaels

My husband and I have taken the day off tomorrow to watch this historic event, and I can't wait to see what michelle Obama is wearing.

January 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  45. Maureen T

I would love to be in the Mall with all of those people with Anderson! I'm a little envious I'm not there in Washington at this historic time! But watching on CNN is almost like being there!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  46. jermaine fernandez

This a prayer for my president and his family ( Barack Obama).

I pray that GOD keeps you and your family strong.And keep your heart, mind and spirit on jesus and let him use you. That is probably the only thing I worry about because I know how easy people can get off track. So I encourage you to stay focus focus focus focus and more focus on the goals you have set for you and your staff, and set new goals for all as a nation. GOD BLESS AMERICA AND YOU FROM JERMAINE FERNANDEZ.

January 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  47. Sam, Ewa Beach, HI

Joyce from colorado springs, that is a beautiful poem!

Im in Oregon right now and the energy will, no doubt, be similar to that on the mall.

January 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  48. Johnny Ybarra

Anderson,

You are so important in my family's lives and it's great to see you covering such a monumental event. You look classy as always. Good luck and looking forward to a wonderful America ahead.

Johnny in SF Bay Area

January 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  49. Ken in NC

The Balls are great Anderson but if I could be there I would enjoy being there on the Mall with you and the people of America.

January 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  50. Sherrol in Canada

Hello David Gergen!!!!

Been watching you all day today, love you.

January 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |