January 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/19/09

Want to share your thoughts on tomorrow's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAMv

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Julie

This is indeed one of the greatest times to live in. I think the use of phrases like 'the grandson of a slave' should not be used for our president or anybody at all in the 21st century America . Being black/african is not synonymous to slavery.

January 19, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  2. EJ (USA)

I read about the wheelchair thing about an hour ago.

Cheney knows he's too old and out of shape to be moving those boxes.

January 19, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  3. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good Monday evening. I hope PE Obama will keep this bipartisan approach long past the inauguration. We can't slip back to the fighting with each other.

January 19, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  4. Andrea, TN

Hey Anderson, your fans are getting worried – put on a proper coat and hat, please!

To all of CNN, great coverage so far today. Thanks for playing MLK's full speech, I'd never heard it before.

January 19, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  5. Bridget, Cypress, Tx

I'm beyond psyched about tomorrow and hope at a positive future for all of poor, middle class and rich. We went today to volunteer and it was nice seeing all ages and mixed races volunteering.

January 19, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  6. Sherrol in Canada

CNN had fantastic coverage today re the inauguation and I was brought to tears several times watching footage of Dr Martin L King Jr and the civil rights movement.

Guess I'm preparing myself for tomorrow, because I know I'll be 'bawling' when Pres-elect Obama is sworn in. I'm so excited, it's unbelievable.

January 19, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  7. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson and all Bloggers. An exciting night tonight. I hope all will stay safe and warm, including Anderson.

January 19, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  8. Sarah

Yes We Can.Yes We Will.Yes We Did! Change has Come!

January 19, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  9. Nonso

Someone asked if we have a president or a king ,I'd gladly say America has a new President and the world has just gotten a King. How majestic !

January 19, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  10. Pearl Leeka

A new day has come. I am drenched in optimism.

January 19, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  11. Katie

I am so excited for tomorrow! I am so glad that there a great station like CNN out there so that everyone can see" The Moment" history changes like never before! Thanks Anderson and Crew!

January 19, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  12. Greg, Austin Tx

Talk about hitting the ground running .. it looks like Obama's going to put in 40 hours just tomorrow after the swearing in.

January 19, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  13. Lauren--NY

Anderson, the coverage these last few days has been absolutely remarkable. You guys are doing a phenomenal job, and the commentary from you, Soledad, Wolf and David Gergen has been especially insightful, appropriately reverential, and just so uplifting. It comes through that you feel privileged to be there, and we are privileged to watch you. During these historic few days, just to bear witness would be enough–but to have this particular group of people doing so and giving such a great example of what a free press can and should do–it's a highly appropriate bonus. Thank you so much–but sweetie, really, put on a hat! XOXO

January 19, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  14. Sha-Sha

President Elect Barack Obama has attended my high school The Ivanna Eudora Kean High School located on the Island Of St. Thomas Which has never been acknowleged for anything what so ever to know that i am alive to watch history... So much emotion to heart... change is here and to be able to view it first hand like kodak is priceless.

January 19, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  15. Papa Gaye

I now beleive that my 2 children, daughter of an african immigrants now have the same opportunities as any other american born child even with names like Sira and Kadija.
    Thanks Obama for making the dream tangible.

January 19, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  16. Amanda - Leesburg, Florida

I'd be anything to be there right now. But, even watching just from my bedroom, I can feel the excitement and the thrill. The atmosphere, even from hundreds of miles away, and through the tv screen..is contagious. It's all that I've been watching since Saturday!

January 19, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  17. Julie - Boston

This is all so exciting but I can't help but think that the cost of this hoopla is wasted and could be put to better use. In these times, isn't $150 million a bit much? I just can't shake the hypocrisy...

January 19, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Kim in Orlando, Fl
    I agree with you..... I made so tear my joy to be here to watch him tomorrow, I can't wait too...

January 19, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  19. Sarah Rutherford ATL

Happy Martin Luther King Day everyone!
    I'm excited that there are only a few more hours until inauguration day.
    And Anderson I loved your appearance on oprah!!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  20. Peggy Paarmann from Nevada

What an amazing day, to think that the whole world is watching, and we have a chance to finally turn the page and reclaim who we've been all along....ONE America.
    Cannot wait until tomorrow....

January 19, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  21. QJ

Words in any form can not describe the magnitude of this moment. I feel ten feet tall

January 19, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  22. Lori from IL

Happy Monday and Inauguration Eve to Anderson, Erica, Randi and Fellow Bloggers–

I am very excited about tomorrow and what it means for our country.

Anderson looks almost blue - I hope you stay as warm as possible and well. PE Obama should be used to the cold - last Thursday and Friday in Chicago the highs here were below zero. Today it was 20 degrees, a heat wave!

I know that President Obama faces a lot of challenges come Wednesday, but I hope tomorrow will be a "magical" day.

January 19, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  23. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

You and me both Rikki! Why can't CNN "Hologram" us there?

January 19, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  24. EJ (USA)

Goodness Anderson you look good tonight standing among your people!

always

January 19, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  25. Imani from Maryland

I hope i see you tommorrow .... I really have alot to say and i hope to represent my generation...the youth

January 19, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  26. Michelle Brown

Hi All:

I am so excited about the change that has happened and the days to come. I was not able to afford to make a trip to Washington, oh how I wish I could have, however I took the day off of work to watch every second of coverage. As a black woman, I finally feel like the "We" written in the Constitution now includes me. Thank u America for the inclusion. Thanks America for the change. God Bless America and each and every one of you.
    Oh, having a hard time finding something to donate my time to as a working adult, any idea's?
    Hopefully now, we can all get along and make this world a better place.

January 19, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  27. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day everyone!

Poor Cooper looks like he needs his mittens from New Year's. Someone get that man a scarf and some earmuffs!

I love the AC360 President's Seal graphics team!

January 19, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  28. Kay

Tracy. Hope your enjoying the snow.. I sure do miss it!! Im a Boston native

January 19, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  29. CaseyJ - Detroit

Candy Crowley, at least ONE of those two "wars" you refer to is an occupation, NOT a war.

January 19, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  30. Gabe

Dawning of a New Era Anderson!

January 19, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  31. Sherrol in Canada

Hello everyone....Can't wait to see what Anderson has in store for us tonight!!!

January 19, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  32. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I wish I could be in Washington DC right now and tomorrow...I'm very jealous of everyone that gets to witness this first hand!

January 19, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Rikkiin Fargo, N.D.
    He will wear his hat , I hope I agree with you.....

January 19, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  34. Jeff

I am not sure if I have the right place to blog this but here it goes....
    OMG! what can I say. I just finished watching the Disney channel's kid's inauguaral ball. What an amazing show. I hope all of you were watching. The new first lady's speech was amazing. And what an amazing sight to see, the first children having fun and getting up and having a great time. It really showed what I have been hoping to see..... A breathe of fresh air. It was amazing. I can't wait to see what the next four years have to show us.

January 19, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  35. Lu Nelson

The aftertaste of this election has left me excited for the future. Go Obama!

January 19, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Maureen T

Goodness Anderson you look good tonight standing among your people!

January 19, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Sherrol in Canada

Yeah, Cheney put his back out lifting boxes for his move. I wonder which White House Staffer will get in trouble for that.....LOL

January 19, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  38. EJ (USA)

I'll save all my crying for "the moment." I haven't gotten excited today at all. I can't have my brain go haywire.

January 19, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Mike Metzler

I am now 64 and I am back! I lost my patriotism

after JFK ... years of unnecessary wars and selfishness. I now feel about my country the way I did as a kid. Obama has
    made me young again!

January 19, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Imani from Maryland

Hello Everyone....I am upset because i live 15 minutes from where the show is brodcasting right now and i am not able to be there right now... But you better beleive i will be there tommorrow.

January 19, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Brandi..... Yes I do feeling good vibaration!!!! 🙂

January 19, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  42. kim - orlando Fl

I am so excited and all day i have cried off and on just enjoying the history, enthusiasm and making of a miracle.

January 19, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Brandi - bottom of the boot

is it me or do andersons lips look purplish???

you really need a hat anderson, you lose most of your body heat from the top of your head!

January 19, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good Evening Anderson, Erica and bloggers! Hope everyone had a great weekend! What an exciting time!...Anderson you really should be wearing a hat!

January 19, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  45. EJ (USA)

I didn't engage in any community service today but I try to help people out in other ways throughout the year – weekly.

January 19, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. CaseyJ - Detroit

Good Evening Bloggers! I am so thooroughly excited about this presidency and historic change for our country. I sincerely hope this presidency will propel us toward recognizing everyone's civil rights at some point in the near future (although I don't believe I'll ever see it in my lifetime).

January 19, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Brandi - bottom of the boot

goodevening all! so much excitement buzzing in the air that you can feel the vibrations!

January 19, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Tracey - Boston

Good Evening,

Tomorrow will be a glorious day!

Love to stay up and chat but Boston received a lot of snow and must get to work on time.

Ciao!

January 19, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. EJ (USA)

Looking good Anderson!

January 19, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson, Erica, and best bloggers!!!
    Happy Martin Luther King's Day tonight!
    Hope you had a great weekend......
    Are you ready for tomorrow morning to see Obama and Biden will take under oath? Yes, I am exciting get ready for that tomorrow morning! 🙂
    Anderson is in Washington D.C. now.

January 19, 2009 at 10:00 pm |