January 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/19/09

Want to share your thoughts on tomorrow's inauguration and our special coverage tonight from Washington? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAMv

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Renee

Thanks EJ. I get it now. I've never owned a real fur. Give me a good wool jacket and I am taken care of. Of course I always have a hat and scarf! Snuggie (laughing) we get the commercials all day here!

January 20, 2009 at 12:00 am |
  2. Della - New Jersey

To all the CNN staff, i watch everyday and i think you guys are doing such a great job in covering the inauguration. I feel very informed. GOB BARACK : ) !!!!

January 20, 2009 at 12:00 am |
  3. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good Monday evening. Thanks Anderson, Erica, and all of ac360. Good coverage. Night all.

January 19, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  4. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Oh Wow, thanks to all of you tonight. Especially those who played along with my "Snuggie" scenario with Cooper. That will be an image that will make me chuckle from time to time. He should have used one when he reported from Israel!

Amazing show, all. I appreciate the extra hour to blog and share my hope with others.

Much love AC360....

January 19, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  5. Glen Up North

Once again, good night all, and keep warm... I'm looking your way, Anderson! 😉

January 19, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  6. Cynthia

I have been thrilled to watch the U.S. election unfold on cnn and Obama is an enigmatic and engaging force. What's funny, is that my children, white, were like 'so what, he's black, what's the big deal?'

See, we live in Canada and have gone to school with people of all ethnic backgrounds with all colours of skin. I've always found the racial segregation of America's past to be almost surreal. I have never seen that kind of discrimination in my lifetime, I just can't imagine that and I could really see that my own children were very uninformed.

it's rather bone-chilling and embarassing that people of my colour could do that to people of any other color. I have researched a lot online about the History of the African-American and felt it necessary to share with my children, the entirety of that. They are now sensitive to it and I'm proud that they are accepting and loving and sympathetic to that history. They have friends of all colour, so earlier today, when we saw a clip on the movie made about high school seniors wanting an integrated prom, they were stunned that this was even an issue. THAT was a powerful discussion that continued in my home.

What is truly phenomenal, is that we discussed that today is Martin Luther King Day and we spent this evening playing back the speech of Martin Luther King Jr. and talking about it. I think my children at 12 and 14 are really 'getting it' and tomorrow morning they will stay home with me to tune into cnn to watch this historical day unfold ... when our neighbour to the south ... shows the world their progress.

Although this inauguration tomorrow is about so much more than the colour of the new President of the United States, it cannot be ignored.

We are proud of you! We are proud to call you friend! As we sit on the dawn of a new era, we look forward to all the changes to come in America. It ultimately affects the world.

January 19, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  7. Sherrol in Canada

I have lived in 3 different countries; Antigua, West Indies; Brooklyn, New York and Toronto, Canada. I spent my teenage years in New York and of course went to High School there. I salute you America for coming such a long way and want you to know that your excitement about Pres-elect Obama is infectious.

We Canadians and the world love him too!!!

January 19, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  8. Keith

We have embraced America and America has hugged us back.

I have watched a nation change more over the past two years than any other time since the 1960’s. To preface, while my view may be disliked by some, the current mystique that surrounds the feelings of minority Americans can be described by this analogy. For approximately the past 200 years, we have been the step children of Mother America. We have loved and still love you unconditionally; we have fought and died, and still we fight and die for your freedom unconditionally. Even in the bonds of slavery and through the persecutions of segregation, we have unconditionally cared for your children and have performed the needed but unwanted jobs of most Americans. Still we love you America and thank our fellow Americans for seeking truth in humanity through many difficult periods and the many attempts to create a down trodden population. In summary, we have been embracing Mother America for over 200 years. On this day, we (and maybe the World) finally feel and know that America is hugging back.

January 19, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  9. EJ (USA)

We all love you Anderson and we want you to be warm! Goodnight! Tomorrow is almost here!

January 19, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  10. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Looking forward to watching all the replays tomorrow...Awesome job thus far. Goodnite all.

January 19, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  11. Mike, Syracuse NY

"Now I am truely proud to be an American after 8 years of complete shame and embarrassment. I might start travelling overseas and ware the flag proudly."

@Steve-LA, I've always been proud of America.

January 19, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  12. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I agree, Ashley. People tend to forget that the individuals in front of the camera don't just show up at start time and leave when the show is over. The studio is a professional environment, with every bit as much stress, if not more, than many traditional jobs. Preparation generally takes hours, and with a live show, there are many added stresses. So it's understandable that one may get a little short every so often.

January 19, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  13. Bernadine

The time has come, Yes we can

January 19, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  14. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

EJ – EXACTLY what I was thinking. I was afraid the mods wouldn't let the name brand through.

I can picture Cooper appreciating the "Snuggie." Although I don't think anyone under 60 should have one...

January 19, 2009 at 11:56 pm |