January 18th, 2009

Day Two from the roof of the Newseum

Kay Jones
Editorial Producer

Day 2 of our DC coverage is starting out slow for Team 360, since Anderson isn't on air until 2pm. The weather isn't as brutal today, but it's still cold.

The Newseum is bustling with the CNN team, since John King's new show, State of the Union with John King, debuted today from the rooftop set.

Yesterday, a lot of you wrote in asking about the color purple. No, not the movie, but why Anderson, Wolf and Soledad had on purple. It was a stroke of coincidence, that's all. I tried to get Anderson to admit to calling Wolf before boarding the plane yesterday and discussing the wardrobe choices for the weekend. He promises it didn't happen, so I have to take him at his word. I'm still holding out for a slip up, where Anderson admits to texting Wolf that Saturday is "purple day."

Also, we are trying to convince him to put on a hat, earmuffs, a scarf, something. But he is still responding with an "I'm OK." But I will still bug him until we leave. If I have any luck, you'll see it on 360. 🙂

Cheers for now, as it's time to get ready for more CNN coverage of Inauguration weekend.

__________________________________
UPDATE 6:32pm. ET
Sorry it's taken so long to update, but here's what happened today:
We wanted to get to the Lincoln Memorial so that Anderson could interview the crowds. Well, DC traffic didn't cooperate, so we ended up at our location in the mall area. They weren't prepared for us, but the crew guys busted it and had us up and running in a few short minutes.

When the crowds realized who was there, they went nuts. But it was fun being around everyone, and Anderson got some great interviews.

I did get him to wear gloves but still no hat or scarf. Fortunately it wasn't as bitter cold today but I do think he'll need a shoe shine since it was so dusty out there!

He's now prepping for tonight's show, and I'm heading to one of the many parties in town. Hopefully I will have some photos to show on Monday to everyone as well as some great stories.

Filed under: Inauguration • Kay Jones
  1. Polly

Can't stop watching!!! Keep up the good work! But don't forget the white mother and grandparents that were so important to Obama.Give them a mention. Polly from Deep East Texas.

January 19, 2009 at 4:06 am |
  2. Sam, Ewa Beach, HI

Do some peope in the crowds ever try to come on to Anderson? Does he need a bodyguard when people try to grab at him?

Lol thats a good question.

January 19, 2009 at 2:55 am |
  3. Sam, Ewa Beach, HI

Hey thanks for posting and giving an inside look at the work and events going on behind the scenes.

Nice that CNN has this going on.

January 19, 2009 at 2:53 am |
  4. Annie Kate

Well you tried to get him to dress warmly. If he gets a cold or worse he'll wish he had listened. Coverage has been great – really enjoying watching it.

January 19, 2009 at 2:14 am |
  5. Michelle

I was wondering why the entire performance at the Lincoln Memorial was not televised. One reporter on MSNBC said there were restrictions on only being able to show Obama and Biden's speeches. I have only been able to find short segments of some of the performances. I was really looking forward to seeing all the performances, I was very disappointed.

January 19, 2009 at 1:54 am |
  6. Dulcie - Denver

Well, Anderson did put on that 'Ellen' scarf for a few minutes there, though I'm not sure that's quite what people expected, lol.

Gotta love him – just when you think he's completely serious and professional all the time he does something like that. Too funny!

January 18, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  7. EJ (USA)

Anderson actually looks very good in that scarf from Ellen. It matches his eyes. Beautiful!

January 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Cindy

HMM......strangest thing that Politico has Anderson at a brunch at the time Wolf was doing the show at 2. Just sayin...

January 18, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  9. aly

Uh, Kay, would you like to add another addendum to your blog here? Perhaps another reason why you folks and Anderson didn't get to where you wanted to report from is because he was at a brunch?

January 18, 2009 at 9:46 pm |
  10. Isabel

Anderson and others,
    Please, stay warm!
    Careful not to get you a cold and become voiceless.
    Nor say that you're OK because you should be frozen and we were worried.

Im to 36ºC in Brazil, a heat absurd, and it is strange to see them with so cold, I feel a shiver in the midst of so much heat.

January 18, 2009 at 7:43 pm |
  11. Larry

Any chance to see Marisa Tomei at any event is always welcome; she was some happy today:)

January 18, 2009 at 7:35 pm |
  12. Eddie

From guest speakers to performers, where are the Eagle Feathers? Native Americans were the custodians of this land for 10,000 years and have contributed to and influenced the American culture and history more than any other. From the 1400's-1776 and beyond Americans wore buckskins long before they discovered suits and ties. The Native Americans even gave us our Constitution as Thomas Jefferson introduced the Prefered model. The framework of the U.S. Constitution was modeled upon of the Iriquoi Confederation, the first true democracy yet they suffered and even still to this day more than the African slaves. The Cherokee could not even represent themselves in a court of law without a White Sponsor as recently as 1980. Until we have a seat at the table of this celebration and a real voice in the government , this Inaururation party is not complete.

January 18, 2009 at 7:23 pm |
  13. lee

Hi, Kay, I for one was rather disappointed that Anderson didn't get more air time or that his interaction with the people wasn't more involved like Don Lemon's is now. Not really complaining, but that what Anderson did could have been handed to any of the correspondents and Anderson could have done what he is good at – analysing and talking and such.

January 18, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  14. EJ (USA)

Anderson was supposed to be on at 2 ET? I’ve been watching for half an hour and I don’t see him. So where is he? Did he oversleep?

He interviewed some people in the crowds a few times. I heard him say "ok cool" a couple times after they answered how they felt.

January 18, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  15. EJ (USA)

January 18, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  16. Fay - California

Hi Kay, I really enjoy reading your behind the scenes posts and CNN's coverage of all the pre-inauguration festivities has been really great. I had to laugh yesterday when I saw that Wolf and Anderson both had on purple ties – I could've sworn they did the same thing a couple of times during the primary/convention coverage. Good luck in getting AC to put on a hat or earmuffs – I'll be pretty surprised if it actually happens...

January 18, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  17. Adriana RM Atlanta,Ga

In Philly when its Code Purple its time for everyone to head indoors.

January 18, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  18. EJ (USA)

Also, we are trying to convince him to put on a hat, earmuffs, a scarf, something. But he is still responding with an “I’m OK.”

I'm sure that's what he says when he's surrounded by lions, tigers, and bears in Africa too.

January 18, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  19. lee

Why is Anderson out in the field and not with Wolf?

Anderson should just hold a hot drink even if he doesn't drink it – it will warm his hands, even if he just holds it to his lips it will help.

January 18, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  20. Tammy, Berwick. LA

Thanks to HBO online since my cable company was too cheap to show the concert for free, and I refuse to pay for HBO. It does sort of stink that HBO has exclusives on this thing. Heck, it's the first real concert we've had for an inauguration in eight years (or at least according to my musical tastes), and one would think all of America should have had access.

Anderson didn't look too cold just watching him a while back. The people around him, yes. Him, not so much. Maybe the weather just doesn't bother him. Or maybe he'll be thawing later, and you'll get to say "told you so."

OK. Renee Fleming is making me cry now. This song always does. Going be a puddle for a bit.

January 18, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  21. Pati Mc

Hi Kay,

Glad to hear that you guys are surviving well down in DC. Thankfully it is not as cold, but I sure would not want to be out there all day. We appreciate that you do it for us, hoewever....thanks!

Frankly I believe that Anderson is so used to the frigid studio temps he insists upon, that he is now immune to the cold. Maybe he has something there!

Good luck trying to convince him to cover up, I doubt he is gonna go for it. "Purple Saturday"....good one. 🙂

You all are doing such a wonderful job. The historical referneces and Anderson's interviews with the crowd are awesome. I am learning so much, and clearly that is why I watch CNN. Glad to share the excitement with all of you at 360. Have fun and stay warm.

January 18, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  22. Janine from PA.

Well Obama says he sees "purple" states rather then red and blue. Could that be why? They want to be non biased? But don't you have a place inside to have this broadcast? I can't stand the cold and I really don't need to se people out in it freezing.

January 18, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  23. Cindy

Well Kay....hope that it's warmer there today than it was yesterday! Yesterday looked brutal...OK, what I saw of it. Didn't catch the whole thing. But PLEASE do get Anderson to put on a hat, gloves and scarf! The man is going to have pneumonia! He looked absolutely frozen last night when I turned it on to catch the last 30 minutes. If he doesn't want to put anything on then bum rush him, hold him down and force it on him! LOL He'll thank you later! LOL

Cindy...Ga.

January 18, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  24. Rikki, Fargo, ND

You guys are doing an incredible job covering the inauguration! As you do with so many other events! Thank you!!!

January 18, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  25. Cameo

Anderson, David, Candy, and Wolf is why I keep CNN on my TV for most of the day.

Thank you 360 team for keeping us updated and informed.

January 18, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  26. Jeff Gammons

Great update, thanks! Yesterday show was outstanding, and I was hooked for several hours. Tuned in for this afternoons program. CNN coverage on one TV, and NFL playoffs on the other.

-Jeff

January 18, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  27. moni

Anderson was supposed to be on at 2 ET? I've been watching for half an hour and I don't see him. So where is he? Did he oversleep?

January 18, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  28. Larry

Tiger Woods, along with other notable persons has accepted an invitation to speak at the Lincoln Memorial on Sunday, Jan. 18.

On his website Tiger posted the following:

Woods said he was hopeful that a black man would be elected president in his lifetime.

"I think it's absolutely incredible," "He represents America."

"He's multiracial. I was hoping it would happen in my lifetime. My father was hoping it would happen in his lifetime, but he didn't get to see it. I'm lucky enough to have seen a person of color in the White House."

Was it inappropriate of Tiger to use the term 'person of color'?

January 18, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  29. Paul B

Make him put on Mardi Gras beads

January 18, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  30. Rhonda

Anderson, please don't pull a Harrison. Put on a hat! You can take it off at the commercials.

January 18, 2009 at 1:53 pm |