January 16th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/16/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

We're so tech savy here at AC360°. At least, we like to think we are these days. So, we've got more goodies for you.

It's "Floorcrew Friday". WhooHoo! See what they're up on the webcast during the commericals. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I really do think that we can believe in our government. We hear all the stories about the corrupt politicians but they really are few. There are a lot of politicians out there that really are working for the people. Don't let the corruption of a few be the stereotypes. I think even David Gergen made a comment regarding this once in that most politician are good people.

January 16, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  2. David, Indiana

David Gergen, good point about possibility of Tim Geithner receiving counsel telling him not to pay those taxes.

I think Americans are looking forward to Barack Obama's leadership. Yes people are excited but they also want to hear what he's going to do and think about it too along with congress.

January 16, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  3. Gerry W

tThe panel was excellent tonight., Pamela a very welcome additiion. With a new administration with a more civil tone, I hope the panel will will also be more civil. We dont need the shouters ( no naming names.) Tonight certainly is a good start.

January 16, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  4. vincent

John, thank you for your comments, i saw that, however, several other bloggers indicated that there were other reasons as well.

Forgot to give congratulations to John King for his new show. I am also on MNT. time, but i am going to tape it, just in case i can get up by 7am my time.

January 16, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  5. Lori from IL

I think the whole Daivd Geithner "tax" issue is being blown out of proportion. It's not like he didn't pay any taxes - we are only talking about a portion of tax he owed. U.S. tax code is extremely complex - especially the self-employment area - and I would bet that he had a professional preparing his taxes.

I agree with PE Obama - if making a mistake kept you from holding office or a cabinet position - there may not be many people in Washington. What ever happened to giving people the benefit of the doubt? If he passed the vetting and PE Obama believes in him enough to move him forward and stand behind him - I say give him a chance.

January 16, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  6. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Ugh, I feel so badly for Bell.

First off, it wasn't an "incident." It was racism and assault from each group.

January 16, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  7. Mike, Syracuse NY

Mychal Bell doesn't need to worry about being perfect. He needs to worry about not committing felonies. The Jena 6 incident was not his first assault charge.

January 16, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Soledad,
    That is so cute!! ‘Politics Fit for a King’ That is great idea!

January 16, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  9. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Frances in Montreal~The miracle on the Hudson was truly a sign of a higher power. I too remember when JFK was sworn in as a catholic and I am so excited to be living in the times when the first black man will be sworn in. Great times for the U.S. coming up!
    You never know, we may see peace in our lifetime!

January 16, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Tom of Philly

Why is everyone wondering what happend to the first $350B? They are paying overhead, hoarding and buying other banks, duh. Former wachovia alone has 7 branches in 5 miles of my house thats about a million bucks in branch managers alone, before a utility rent or other employee is paid. We need to force the banks to close branches if they are too close in proximity. I dont really want to add to unemployment, but i dont want to keep wasting blocks of $350B more, think about it. What do u make a year and why are you being forced to subsidize too many overpaid branch managers. What happend to the aggressiveness we went after detroit with to cut pay and costs and all other forms of 'wasteful' overhead. Wake up and write your congressmen about it!

January 16, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  11. Ken in NC

Soledad it is good to see you sitting in tonight. It is about time that you got your own show too. You are very intense in every project you take on and it is all put together in a manner that makes it's presentation such that one cannot get up and walk away. This is good. Good luck in the future. Hope you get your own shoow soon.

January 16, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  12. Bridget, Cypress, Tx

@ Ken, NC, I agree with you, I like this feeling of hope and I want to believe in our government again. It is nice to have a reason to smile.

January 16, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  13. Isabel, RJ, Brazil

Obama, your challenge will begin!

January 16, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  14. Dana

I think our country needs a Treasury Secretary that does not believe in paying income taxes!!!

January 16, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  15. vincent

Right on David G & John K – leadership! something we have not seen for a long time.'

At no time did i ever get the impression the Tim G., treasury nominee was "cavalier" about his taxes or anything else.

January 16, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  16. Deena

Think Obama will get the money, but he will have to show Americans that those whom are given it, will need to report on what it is used for, where it is going, how it is being spent, and this has to have guidelines that it is not being spent on jobs overseas, or on bonuses,... I think Americans believe we need this so .... great panelist questions and discussion/advice.

January 16, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  17. Rikki, Fargo, ND

We really just need to leave Mr. Geithner alone and focus on the real issues that we have going on! Like our economy. He made a mistake...he didn't try to cheat his way out of his taxes like so many people do...and he paid what he owed.

January 16, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  18. EJ (USA)

'Politics Fit for a King' – That's cute Soledad.

January 16, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  19. Barbara

Yes, Cap'n Sully is indeed a hero. And I am so glad he is being recognized. All pilots are heros. Consider what they face daily– a bunch of strangers packed like sardines in a tin can with no escape thirty thousand feet above the ground where anything can happen.

My son is a pilot for a major airline and far too often pilots are blamed ("pilot error") for any and all incidents. It is good to see a pilot and an airline given accolades instead of blame and disdain for everything from lost luggage to maintenance delays (yes, please FIX the plane before you take off with me on it), from essential but "annoying" security measures to weather. It is a refreshing change of heart from the public.

January 16, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  20. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Michael Gregory~ I was thinking the engines were already protected but apparently I was mistaken. I've been flying precariously!

January 16, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  21. Viviana from Jersey City, NJ

No doubt that there is a thousand and one things that might have gone wrong during this incident (plane on water); however, from time to time we are reminded of how it feels to have God's Grace upon us. I was looking at the rescue efforts from the platform exitting the Lincoln Tunnel on my way home and all I had on my mind was gratitude and pride for our people. NY/NJ (at its best )sending a message across the globe showing a clear example of what it means to be a good neighbor and that we can accomplish the impossible when we lend a hand to one another.

January 16, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  22. Frances, Montreal, Canada

Regarding the miracle on the Hudson only proves that there is a higher power watching over us. Will miracles never cease to exist. These passengers and crew are living proof that miracles can and will happen no matter how bad things seem to be. Another miracle will occur next week when we see a black man being sworn in as President of the United States. I can remember when JFK was sworn in as the first Catholic President. What a great month for the United States of America. I only hope that good things will follow.

January 16, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  23. Michael Gregory

I'm wondering if cone-shaped metal netted deflectors would be possible for installation on each of the jet engines so as to deflect large objects or birds from getting sucked into the engines?

Michael Gregory
    Chisholm, Minnesota

January 16, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  24. EJ (USA)

So any bird can crash with a plane… it could happen everyday.

Yes, but I heard that it's rare that a 'bird attack' takes out 2 engines.

January 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  25. Karen

I really really hope people realize that what every one likes in a speech is not all equal. I truly thought the Grant Park speech suited the moment and yet there were people who were disappointed! It's all better than anything I've heard in years.

January 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  26. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

I am so proud of America right now! ooooweeee! (((((hugs)))))) to everyone!

January 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  27. Ken in NC

David Gergen is as smart as Obama. He has insight. Between him and John King I would say PE Obama could use them both in his administration.

January 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  28. Renee

PE Obama needs to immediately do a State of the Union Address outlining his goals for his first 100 days. He needs to explain to the American people why the future bailout is needed for America is succeed.

January 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  29. Greg, Austin Tx

I can't even fathom what Barack Obama's Blackberry's inbox might look like being the future president. His to-do list alone probably fills up phone's memory.

January 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  30. sara

Ashley – Hamlin, NY maybe is sincronicity; or destiny like what Hero Cptn Sully have done...beyond expecttions

January 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Janice

Amazing! This is the only way to describe the miraculous landing that took place yesterday on the Hudson River in NYC. To Captain Sully and Crew God bless you for keeping it together, and to the passengers who demonstrated faith during a trying time. The bible says "with God all things are possible".

January 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  32. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Good advice from PE Obama..."think before you press send".

Looking forward to watching John King's show on Sunday.

January 16, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I wouldn't mind the 350 billion dollar bailout IF we were told where the last bailout went. I don't trust a market that has no qualms about taking our money and not telling us where it went.

January 16, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I can't wait see John King interview Obama on Sunday morning at 6am so early!

January 16, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  35. David, Indiana

Rikki, well said. I think its good from PE Obama to stand behind his treasury nominee.

I found those two clips of John King's interview with the President Elect to be thought provoking and enjoyable, wasn't able to listen to them as carefully when some segments aired earlier this evening

January 16, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  36. Lori from IL

David Gergen and panel.

I am looking forward to PE Obama's inaugural address. I remember listening to his speech on race relations and being very impressed - only to find out later that he wrote the speech himself.

I feel he is very introspective (with a good understanding what's happening on main street and grounded by his daughters) and a great orator, so I believe he will fulfill out expectations on Inauguration Day.

January 16, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Ashley~ You are so right. There is a sense of hope and peace and love for fellow man. I love this feeling! Let's hold on to it.

January 16, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  38. John

Vincent. CNN reported last night that the Airbus had mechanisms called a ditch switch which closes any openings on the underside of the aircraft so that it will float longer. This may be one reason the plane floated long enough to get the people out and off. Again. Airbus put the ditch switch mechansims in the aircraft by design. Tx. John

January 16, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  39. Isabel, RJ, Brazil

Chesley: hero of NY and all of us!
    How are the people who were aboard the plane?
    Here (in Brazil) talks about many with hypothermia.

January 16, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  40. Ken in NC

Good evening Erica, Soledad and Best bloggers. PE Obama is probably nervous but I'm sure he is aware of the importance of the task he is about to take on.

Right now I am fully aware that he will not be able to solve every problem in a year and I am willing to work with him to help pull our nation up out of this mess. I just want to start to feel like my government is not full of crooks. I am so tired of that feeling.

January 16, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  41. Karen

The thing about Geitner, to me, is here is someone who has had, basically, trial runs at smaller economic crises. Sorry, rates over a tax problem for me. Don't care. Doesn't matter to me for whatever reason when he has that little nugget in his belt. I guess if you can find me someone else that has that job experience, I'll look at them, but right now, with all the big unknowns, he appears to be one of the few who can probably help make this work.

January 16, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  42. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Such an amazing time we live in! Just the fact that President Elect Obama will use the Lincoln Bible for his inauguration gives me chills...that is very cool! I cannot wait for Tuesday! We get to be witness to the one of the most historic Presidential inauguration in history!

January 16, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  43. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Does anybody else feel a heightened sense of self-respect, unity, and poise placed back in the word 'America' since PE Obama has been elected? I don't feel like the entire world is laughing at us anymore...

January 16, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

There were lots of heros in this scenerio. It really does take a village and Americans can pull together when we need to!

January 16, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Virginia Watson

It is most miracously thing that I have ever witness in my lifetime of the successful landing of the US Air flight 1549. I get goosebumps every time I think about it. I give all the praise to God and the pilot for navigating the plane to a successful landing and for everybody who played a part in saving the lives of all the passengers and the crew members on January 16, 2008. It will be a year and date that I will never forget.

God Bless you all.

January 16, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Jacqueline, NY

Kudos, Cheers, Praises, Blessings and many many thanks to Super Hero Co-Pilot of Airways Flight 1549, JEFFREY SKILES

January 16, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  47. Bridget, Cypress, Tx

Daniel, I'm with you all the way. I've been thanking God and saying my prayers for this wonderful miracle. There was a great picture on Campbell Brown, with angels under the plane, beautiful.

January 16, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

This is a great start for Obama and 2009! We will rise again! 😀

January 16, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  49. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Enjoying the Floor Crew Friday webcasts! Looks like Kevin is getting even for the Director not letting us see the Control Room tonight! Ha!

January 16, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Cathy from South Central PA

I am now less afraid to fly and am more inclined to choose US Airways in future after viewing reports of the positive outcome of flight 1549 in the face of dire circumstances. I want to fly with Captain Sullenberger and his wonderful crew or those trained by him! From his website, the Captain "was instrumental in the development and implementation of the Crew Resource Management (CRM) course used at his airline and has taught the course to hundreds of his colleagues."

January 16, 2009 at 10:28 pm |