January 16th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/16/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

We're so tech savy here at AC360°. At least, we like to think we are these days. So, we've got more goodies for you.

It's "Floorcrew Friday". WhooHoo! See what they're up on the webcast during the commericals. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Marian

It seems like AC360 could give some infomation concerning the co-pilot, no other news agency seems to want to give the man or woman any credit at all.

January 16, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Renee

@ Tag: I saw network news and one of the other passengers helped a lady with a broken leg. In times of crisis, most people work together. Don't forget, you would be in water in this case, so you could float with your floatie vest or tag along with with others. Don't worry, guy, I am an exit seat lover, so I always agree to help.

January 16, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  3. vincent

am glad Obama wants to continue to use technology, i think we are going to see a whole new presidency.( in many different ways) I'm also willing to give him and his treasury sec. nominee the benefit of the doubt. from what i've heard and read his nominee has excellent qualifications (if the people loose confidence in him Obama and the congress will hear about it!)

his daughters' remarks cracked me up...very grounded children.

I think that Obama wil get at least a little bit emotional...it would be difficult not to.

January 16, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  4. Jim Wells

My Best friend is a Pilot,CAPT, for Continental Express!
    We were having a discution about the Flight 1539 Going down on the Hudson River! There was 4 Continental Pilots there as well as one Train Engineer! One of the bigest thing that we talked about was nobody Has said any thing about the CoPilot,First Officer, Who as you know sits next to the Pilot! All of thies Pilots that I was talking too said the same thing! I can Gurentee that the First Officer had his hand on the Stick with the Pilot due with both Engines shut down that it would have taken both of them to fly the plane! There is no way he did it by him self! Dont take me wrong he is a Hero but so was the First Office and no one has said his name or any thing about his Heroism!
    I think he should be put on the same level as a Hero as the Pilot him self.
    Thanks Jim Wells
    Engineer UPRR

January 16, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Deena

The nominee for Secretary Of Treasury appears to be able to clear himself. I thought he was a good choice when he was selected but the news that information was not forthright and that it has the appearance that he paid his backtaxes to clear himself to get nominated smoothly just didn' sit well with 'transparency' and 'ethics'. I have to say I was impressed with Obama's comments about all of us making mistakes but having core integrity... he makes a good argument to see him through the process. This validates David Gergen's perspectives a few days ago.

January 16, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  6. EJ (USA)

Hello everyone — What a lift the “miracle on the Hudson” has given us! Even helped to put an extra shine on this inaugural weekend.

It certainly has! It's such a great story.

January 16, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Ashley and Barbara......
    You're right! you have a good point...... to carried person when plane crash or something to help.

January 16, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  8. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Daniel~ Thank God for sure! there were some angels holding on to that plane! \\;;//

January 16, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  9. Gloria, Brooklyn NY

Sully took pride in his work – this type of landing is not chance. This is great skill and emotional poise. He knew his job well. He took pride in his work and saved 155 lives. He's more than a HERO.

January 16, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  10. Tom-Ft.Wayne,IN

It is nice to have a meaningful "Play of the Day".
    Accidents happen every day usually with a dreadful out come.
    Experience enabled instinct and confidence to prevail.
    Some one needs to start writing the script for this movie..
    Great job!... Captain Sullenberger.

January 16, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  11. richard,sunrise fl

Everyone is praising the pilot of the plane,but where was the co-pilot ,Didn't he help out in this situation?

January 16, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  12. Susan

Hello Everyone! I just wanted to say congrats to john king on a great interview with PE Obama!

January 16, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  13. Joseph Nimee, Spring Valley, IL

Outstanding job by the crew! Unfortunately, all we here about is "The Pilot" the "one" hero. That airplane (as are many large aircraft) are certified 2-pilot airplanes... meaning it takes two persons to fly the airplane for safe operations. Cockpit Resource Management (CRM) & Crew Coordination is a vital part to the safe operation of any large aircraft under normal conditions & even more vital in emergency situations. With this incident the Captain couldn't have done it alone and the First Officer (copilot) couldn't have done it alone. They did it as a team and they perform as a team and they saved all those people together as a team. It's too bad we have not heard any recognition for the First Officer who is EQUALLY responsible for the safe "forced landing" the "CREW" did together.

Joe Nimee, Flight Instructor
    Spring Valley, Illinois

January 16, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  14. jorge PE

So any bird can crash with a plane... it could happen everyday.

January 16, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  15. David, Indiana

@Barbara Haworth I think that's a good saying. He has a nice family too.

January 16, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  16. Lyn from Indiana

No doubt the pilot is a hero but lets not forget the co-pilot, flight engineer and the cabin crew. It took them all, team work to bring the jet down safely.
    CONGRAT'S to you all~

January 16, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  17. Maurice

Captain Sully is awesome and amazing in what he has done in saving the lives of those on board his plane. We should also praise the flight attendants who deployed slides, and evacuated in ditching and got passengers out of the plane. They should be praised as part of an amazing safety team that represents the great training of US airline flight crews.

January 16, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  18. Franck

I would like to know if in the future would they be able to find a way to cover the front jet's engine in oder to prevent birds crash. If anyone has an answer to that please share it with me. Erica can you do a little bit of research on that please? May God bless the pilot of that aircraft with all the crew.

January 16, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  19. Daniel

Well, i will like to give thank to God, who did not allow this tragedy to give opportunity for the enemies of American to rejoice, not at this moment, not this time, not during Obama presidency .

January 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  20. Rikki, Fargo, ND

President Elect Obama just said the best statement I've heard in a while! 'I'm not looking for someone who has never made a mistake' I couldn't have said it better myself! We have all made mistakes and I would much rather have people who have made mistakes and learned from them running my country that one who thinks they are perfect.

January 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes Bloggers!!!
    We love John King interview Obama today Called Union of State, we enjoy his interview Obama!

January 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  22. Barbara in Boston

Tag, you would probably be carried off, as the people did on this flight for the flight attendant with the injured leg.

You wouldn't be left behind.

January 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  23. Dulcie - Denver

I hope to watch John King's new show on Sunday, but it's on at 7 am here! That's kind of early for a weekend.

I'm sure I'll catch some of it though

January 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  24. Jacqui Chan

just a little longer... Tuesday at noon!..

January 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  25. Tony - Wisconsin

Good evening Solidad-thank you & all CNN for your near perfect coverage of news, I am so eager to see John's show Subday 8:000AM our time. Good luck John. Got a big fan here. Tony

January 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  26. Renee

Wow! I hardly never watch the web cam but I have to say the NYC floor crew is having some fun tonight!

January 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Does anybody know what time the actual inauguration takes place? And perhaps who is covering what in terms of anchorage?

January 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  28. Paolo

Hmmm... 1 mistake doesn't automatically disqualify 1 from a certain post says Obama. I'm wondering why the transition team though had a rigourous application questionnaire for those who want to join the new administration.

January 16, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  29. susan

This might be a stupid question, but, couldn't there be a "bird screen" of some kind devised to cover those vast and exposed openings to the jet engines that would still allow the necessary air flow?

January 16, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  30. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

David Gergen: What a great idea to have Captain Sully be in the presidential box! I agree, this story has uplifted Americans and has become the precursor to next week's historical event.

January 16, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Cecil D.

THE HUDSON RIVER MIRACLE was a wonderful event for all of America. After weeks and months of bad news we were able to experience an event that had a happy ending and one that reminds us to appreciate those things that we take for granted everyday. We have been given another chance to get our priorities in order and to thank God for his blessings.

January 16, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  32. Rekha AC

Hi Floorcrew Friday,

Hi Kevin, Adrianno, and the rest of the famous five I see on board. Its nice to be sitting on the hot seat. And I sure miss that steaming CNN espresso! Its smells so flavorable. Catch you on the web-camistry.

January 16, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  33. Lauren--NY

Ashley, I did theater for many years–onstage and behind the scenes–and the crew *never* gets enough credit.

Great job, floor crew! 🙂

January 16, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  34. jorge PE

I felt like playing a video game in this simulator. it seems the plane did some jums on the river.

January 16, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Tag – A woman broke both legs in the crash. If they got her out, they will get you out. (I recently had to board on/off a plane with a broken leg myself, 3 days post-surgery.) It came be done!

January 16, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Bill Heiber

Kudos to the pilot AND co-pilot as well, for a spectacular, nerves of steel landing in the river. Why haven't we heard more praise for the co-pilot??

January 16, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Anne New Zealand

Congratulations to the pilot and air crew for all those lives being saved. It was a masterful display of pilot judgement, decision making and l experience! I certainly hope that we will be lucky enough to continue to have such wonderful and dedicated pilots into the future! When we saw the images live on our TV screens here in New Zealand it was with a great sense of relief and joy that everyone was safe. Deo Gratias.

January 16, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  38. Colette

It's very upsetting to me that the media has placed all the focus on Sully as though he was the only pilot, and the only crew member who prepared 155 people for a crash landing. The real hero's are those 3 or 4 flight attendants who prepared every single passenger for a crash landing, kept them informed, calm, and got them all out! Not one mention has been made about any of the flight attendants.

January 16, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  39. Natasha

Bridget, Rikki,

It is so nice to see other people noticing the lack of support for the Co-pilot and crew. The pilots did a great job and left an intact aircraft for the crew to evacuate. Excellent job all around!

January 16, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  40. Reggie from ATL

Greetings Erica and Solidad, I enjoy the show. I am very thankful for that brave captian, Sully for his professional work. If everyone works so professionally, life would be so good. Bravo US Airways, the stock is up more than 12% today.

January 16, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  41. David, Indiana

@ Heidi Ann Berg, everytime I see a report on this story I feel uplifted. Maybe news needs to cover things outside of politics in addition to politics.

January 16, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  42. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Wayne from Fullerton CA~ Great idea! I hope Obama brings them to the inauguration!

January 16, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  43. mary

Can Kevin or some of the floor crew blog?

They look like they are having fun

January 16, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Nick, NY, NY

Hi All,
    No doubt this event defies all odds, and I'm thrilled that everyone on board survived.
    Sully needs to come out of seclusion and enjoy a NYC hero's welcome
    That being said, given the engines were ripped off of the plane at impact, does that mean that the Hudson can now add a complient of jet fuel to its waters and marine life?
    Obviously there was nothing else that could be done, and I'm not complaing, just curious?

January 16, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Good evening Gergen! Why is it that everytime I turn on CNN I always see you?

I loved PE Obama and King's interview...although they needed better chairs. Both looked really uncomfortable on those stools!

January 16, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes! Jolene I agree with you..... Gary Tuchman is most amazing reporter today!

January 16, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  47. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Welcome to our Live Chat Mr. Gergen! This really has given us a boost! It is such an amazing story in the midst of all the other stuff going on right now! 🙂

January 16, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  48. Bridget, Cypress, Tx

David, I agree!! The Miracle on the Hudson was such a wonderful blessing and added a Christmas spirit to the inauguration. Glimps of the John Knig and PE Obama interview was a very nice touch.

January 16, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  49. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

What are the odds of an airline safety expert being the pilot of the ill fated flight? Truly a miracle!

January 16, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Aviva Michelle Lee

By all indications my Great Great Great Grandfather was an enslaved man who was drowned in the Peedee River in NC. The Peedee is a beautiful river and it makes me sad it was used for such brutality. Five days prior to the inauguration, a different river was used by clear thinking and courageous human beings to save 155 lives. Perhaps this indicates a refreshing change in humankind. In light of history, ALL of us are "lucky to be alive." Perhaps that is the message for us in this miracle.
    Incidently, my dad is a retired USAIRWAYS piolot and a native of NC.

January 16, 2009 at 10:16 pm |