January 16th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/16/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

We're so tech savy here at AC360°. At least, we like to think we are these days. So, we've got more goodies for you.

It's "Floorcrew Friday". WhooHoo! See what they're up on the webcast during the commericals. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Rikki, Fargo, ND

What a cute dog! But I bet he's not the most popular guy at home tonight! 😦

What a great night! Hope you all have an amazing and inspiring weekend! See you on Monday! Good night Soledad!

And it was great to have David Gergen and John King on the show again! Thanks for joining us guys!...and John I can't wait for State of the Union! (I like the name but Politics fit for a King is definitely clever! 🙂 ) Happy Friday All!

January 16, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  2. Renee

@ Gergen: You are the best commentator on television. I was at a Republican luncheon today and you were mentioned as being American first and partisan second. I think we all must remember we are Americans first!

January 16, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  3. David, Indiana

Jolene, I wanted to say I had that thought about Gary Tuchman's report on flight training too, esp because his reports on the FLDS were so in depth.

Sounds like a great pre-inaugural concert.

I bet that dog felt kind of sorry for chewing up that lady's inaugural tickets.

Have a great weekend. Good night everyone.

January 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Beyonce to sing first song and is keeping it a secret. Hmmm. Doubt it will be "Single Ladies"....

Dog eats the inauguration ticket! Too cute!

Great discussions tonight. Nite all!

January 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Jacqui Chan

Soledad youand Erica are my favorite Anderson "filler-in-ers"
    GN ALL

January 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Jacqueline, NY

Goodnight All and have a Super Hero Great weekend! XOXO!

January 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  7. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Well EJ, maybe if the world keeps improving, you can have a great world to have children and tell when the beginning of the miracle and peace events happened. Aren't we lucky to be living in these times? So cool!

January 16, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I will stay home watch inauguration Day next Tuesday morning on TV CNN and enjoy watch Obama!
    Good night Soledad, Anderson, Tom, and best bloggers!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight!!!
    Have a great weekend!!
    See you on Monday!!!!!

January 16, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Jacqui Chan

Deena, Really, I am surprised to hear you wouldn't want to go in person. Do you have a fear of large crowds?? I like you will be very excited to watch CNN all day Tuesday and I will record the event for my future children.

January 16, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  10. Lori from IL

Good night all - hope everyone has a great weekend.

Looking forward to CNN's coverage of the train trip tomorrow and John King's new show on Sunday.

January 16, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  11. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Thanks Gergen! I appreciate the info! I can't wait to watch history with CNN's best political team (okay, Ive been watching too many commercials)!

Good night all, thanks for the great show.

January 16, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Hey David Gergen: We will witness another miracle with the inauguration! Thanks! XO's

January 16, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  13. EJ (USA)

I'm just happy to witness this amazing historical event in my lifetime. I'll have a great story to tell my kids if I ever have any.

January 16, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Cathy from South Central PA

Someone asked the question: Your plane is going down, so do you pray, use your cell phone to call or text someone or do you look out the window?

I choose prayer. Thank God everyone is okay and I hope that the plane and fuel are recovered with minimal damage to the ecosystem.

January 16, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  15. Ruby

When Mychal Bell was asked if he regretted the Jena incident, he did not show one ounce of remorse or concern for the bodily harm inflicted on the other young man, a fellow human being. He only felt regret that his actions may have cost him a football career. No wonder his conscience is troubled.

January 16, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  16. Don, WA

Cyber salute to the "natural stick and rudder man" Capt. Sulley. And crew, and passengers who stayed cool.

January 16, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  17. Jacqui Chan

my brother was also watching the rescue live from his window at work; its a miracle. Thank God ALL are okay!

January 16, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  18. Jacqueline, NY

...."Jeffrey Skiles' mother, 81-year-old Deloris Skiles credited the pilot, Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger III, with landing the plane.

"It all happened so fast. The captain is the captain of the ship. He makes the decision on what to do," Deloris Skiles said. "He realized they were going down. There was a nice open place in front of them to land – the Hudson. There were no ferries, so he put it down."

January 16, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Thanks David Gergen for imformation the scedule next Tuesday morning.....

January 16, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  20. vincent

unfortunately have to leave blog early tonight...happy friday, it's been a blessed week and the next four days will be blessed to.

i want to thank the several bloggers who responded to my note re: plane and floating. as i said in the beginning of the blog, this is the best group of people, i really look forward to talking to you and with you every night.

Goodnight Soledad & crew as well, thanks for a great show, as usual.

January 16, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  21. Deena

I have an invitation to the Inaugeration.. but CNN will do such a great job coverage, I'm going to avoid the crowds and stay home with friends and watch the birds-eye view with CNN. Thanks CNN

January 16, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  22. LisaL -Canada

John, David, Pamela – great food-for-thought commentary.
    Soledad – fabulous, as usual.

a happy, hopeful inspiring weekend to all, and enjoy your 44th president. bye!

January 16, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  23. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Absolutely incredible! I wish I could be in Washington DC this week! I will definitely be watching it on CNN!

January 16, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  24. Bridget, Cypress, Tx

Goodnite, have a great weekend everyone, I'm looking forward to watching the Obama's road to the White the House on CNN this weekend.

January 16, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  25. Theresa Roy

I think it is worth wondering if this "Miracle on the Hudson" may very well be an omen of good things to happen for the American people.And especially since they will also have a new President in a few days that will also be history in the making.Maybe a brighter future ia ahead for the country.Has anyone else put these two history events so close together that they might have a higher meaning in which some may believe in???

January 16, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  26. Jacqueline, NY

After the crash, Jeffrey Skiles found life preservers and handed them to passengers who were standing on the plane's wing waiting to be rescued.

January 16, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  27. David, Indiana

@John, I agree that is an incredibly well built plane, others have said so too. Also, the ditch switch must be a life saving innovation. Maybe other plane should have it too.

January 16, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  28. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Night night everyone. I wish you all a miraculous week~end!

January 16, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  29. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Love Tom Foreman and his google maps! Sounds like one cool train ride for Obama!

January 16, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Michael Gregory,
    I think that plane have protect or netted by birds. maybe the experts will explain how the plane have ojbect or netted by birds.

January 16, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  31. Renee

I guess John turned the "Magic Wall" over to Tom since John got his new show!

January 16, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  32. David Gergen

Hello everyone - thanks so much for joining in tonight. To Ashley in Hamlin, NY - the official inaugural ceremony, as I understand it, begins at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, East coast time, with the swearing in at noon sharp. CNN will begin its coverage much earlier that morning, of course. Hope you will join us there, too!

January 16, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  33. Ken in NC

Soledad, Erica and all Bloggers have a wonderful weekend and enjoy the history that is taking place this weekend. See you all Monday night as history marches on towards Tuesday morning.

GOOD NIGHT

January 16, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  34. EJ (USA)

I actually caught some of Swayze's new show on A&E last night "The Beast." It's not bad but I'd have to catch a couple more episodes to get a better feel for it.

January 16, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  35. Richard

Why are we bailing out or banks? Let them go bankrupt and then they start from scratch. Then maybe in the future they won't allow people who take out loans and can't pay them back have them to begin with. At least make them "workout" , not bailout.

January 16, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  36. Jacqui Chan

Erica, Soledad or bloggers
    It wasn't made clear, at least to me, was Michael Bell in foster care previous to this incident or taken from his birth family due to this incident?

January 16, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  37. Denise K. London, UK

Hi from across the pond London UK. The Jena 6 story is very sad. Bell's case is a reflection of "damaged" youth in the US.

January 16, 2009 at 10:46 pm |