January 15th, 2009

Photos of the plane crash

These photographs were taken from the west side of Manhattan.

Taken from an office window on the 11th floor of 601 West 26th Street in Manhattan.

Taken from the inside of a car sitting in traffic on Manhattan's West Side Highway as the plane was going down.

A photograph taken from a terrace overlooking the Hudson River.

Another view of the plane from a terrace on the west side of Manhattan.

Click here to see more photos from iReporters.

1. Claudia, Houston, Tx

This pilot had special "wings" on his shoulders that helped him bring this plane and passengers to safety. It is truly a blessing and proof there are still miracles.

January 16, 2009 at 9:03 am |
  2. kesang

THIS IS A GOOD SIGN.. i see something positive in this miracle.. its going to be a good year for USA!!

January 16, 2009 at 1:37 am |
  3. Diane

I agree the pilot and crew were amazing, but want to give credit to the NY Waterway ferry crews – again coming to the rescue like they did on 9/11 for so many! We in NY appreciate them!

January 16, 2009 at 1:16 am |
  4. chuck

THIS IS A SIGN THAT BETTER DAYS ARE COMING.

January 15, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  5. Moyo

This is truly an amazing and masterful landing by the pilot, who saved these people’s lives. The years in the U.S Air force is paying off.

January 15, 2009 at 9:36 pm |
  6. Beth - Waco, TX

Having survived a plane crash years ago, our pilot and all the crew were super heros, as were the pilot and crew on today's flight in NY. God blessed all of them today, and they have much to be thankful for. The rescue boats and their crews were remarkable. What a happy ending for what could have been horrendous!

January 15, 2009 at 9:14 pm |
  7. c,ca

Wow, give that pilot a medal!!!

The pictures are incredible. When you see the photos and the map view, it's amazing that the pilot was able to bring the plane down in the water. He was so close to the city – I hate to think what could've happened. Everyone on that plane (and people on the ground in NY) should be thankful to him

Amazing skill!

January 15, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  8. Annie Kate

The flight crew was tremendous but lets not overlook the tremendous response from the boat captains and their crews on rescuing the passengers. Without their timely response people could have died from hypothermia. I think everyone who played a part in the rescue is a hero. And the calmness of the pilot and his crew was nothing short of amazing.

January 15, 2009 at 7:57 pm |
  9. Eugenia - San Francisco

wow, what amazing pictures!

January 15, 2009 at 7:55 pm |
  10. patricia

I thank God for the pilot and the passengers who survived that crash in the Hudson today. I must say 'praise God' for the peace that prevailed. It would only take one person to erupt the whole planeload into chaos.
    I could not imagine (had i not seen it with mine own eyes), 150 persons standing quietly in the freezing cold awaiting rescue, hats off to each one of you for your peace and patience in this time of distress. God has blessed you all with a new life, live it for him.

January 15, 2009 at 7:48 pm |
  11. Stan Ballew

On nite leaving Atlanta in my Comanche 250 airplane, my engine blew and I had to make a nite landing on I-20 while on fire. What you are missing is the role of air traffic controllers. The controllers talking to him. They instructed him and told him what he could and could not do based on the size and type of his airplane. He made all the right decisions become of air traffic controllers. They are the real heroes. l

January 15, 2009 at 7:44 pm |
  12. renee, nashville, tn

Hope floats!

January 15, 2009 at 7:43 pm |
  13. Jude

I am so happy to hear more good news from the U.S. Thanks to the pilots who made a snap decision and probably saved everyone on US Airways Flight 1549. The flight attendants should be commended for keeping order out of probable panic, and of course all the passengers. Bravo all.

January 15, 2009 at 7:33 pm |
  14. lampe

GOD, had his loving arms wrapped around those people.

January 15, 2009 at 7:27 pm |
  15. EJ (USA)

If I had that pilot on every flight I have to ever fly, I'd never be afraid.

January 15, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  16. Miranda

In my opinion...Mr. Captain C B "Sully" Sullenburger deserves an award along with his crew and rescue workers recieving all who helped surviving
    passengers as well.

I prayed and thanked God for what is a blessing and miracle on the Hudson River for sure!!!

Viva La New Yorkers and North Carolinians!

Miranda

January 15, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  17. dayna

I agree that this is an amazing story. Thank God, that everyone seems to have survived! And, what a testimony to the character and skill of the pilot – that he could not only execute a water landing so masterfully, but that he then made sure that everyone got off the plane. Reportedly, he walked the length of the plane twice before being the last to exit the aircraft. In the wake of stories about the likes of Bernie Madoff, it's refreshing to learn this story of survival and heroic service.

January 15, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  18. DianeMarie Addicott

I have been watching CNN since Breaking News wirh Rick . This is very good news and I am so happy for all the people that were rescued . A big hug to Pilot and Crew from Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia . God Bless all of Them .

January 15, 2009 at 5:55 pm |
  19. Lucy C

I would like to nominate the Captain of US Airways Flight #1549 for the HERO of the Year for 2009.... His quick thinking & response saved many lives today!! May God Bless him!!

January 15, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  20. john pollak

After months and months of bad news everyday about everything it is time to spend time celebrating the people who made this "disaster" a "non disaster" pilots, flight attendants, boat captains, firemen, police, and passengers. Lets talk about good people who don't get the same amount of airtime that bad people get. FINALLY SOME GOOD NEWS! I am so spent from all the bad news all the time.

January 15, 2009 at 5:42 pm |