January 14th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/14/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. David, Indiana

Tim Geithner's predicament is comical, treasury sec who owes back taxes, but he paid his taxes, and his household employee was here legally but has an expired visa? that I guess can be renewed.

David, to answer your question maybe making the point you're making will help congress and all concerned parties to calm down and allow the inauguration to proceed and then the president and congress can get down to business. On the other hand, there is so much excitement about the President Elects inauguration that the celebratory feeling will overwhelm everything else for a while

I bet the Obamas will make a beautiful home of the White House.

SHC as S.O.S will pay more attn to peach in mideast, important. opnes up chances

January 14, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Larry

G'night, love you all:)

January 14, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Glen Up North

Well, it's that time again. Midnight my time zone and I'm still at the radio station! I definitely wanted to catch the blog. Evening Anderson, Erica, David, CNN and bloggers! 🙂

January 14, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Janine from PA.

RIP Khannnnnnnnnnnn!!!!

January 14, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Saera El Paso, TX

my father and i actually had a conversation yesterday that involved Ricardo Montalban.. how very sad

i hope ethose kids can get their names changed...

good night everyone

January 14, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Bridget, Cypress, Tx

The parents know they're using their children to prove a point, too bad the kids are the one's who are going to pay for the decisions of their parents.

I don't have a problem with the Obamas changing the White House. Goodness with all the politicing, hate, dumbness, and egos P. Obama will have to deal with daily, the least he deserves is a comfortable home to rest in.

January 14, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I love Michelle Obama's style in the white house..... I can't wait see her designer in house!

Good night Anderson, Erica, David G, and best bloggers!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight!!!! 🙂
    See you on friday night!!!
    Anderson.....
    Please get sleep and rest after work...... Good night! 🙂

January 14, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good Wednesday evening. Thanks for the chatter. Always interesting to read. Night all

January 14, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Pati Mc

Excellent coverage tonight gang. Sorry I was late to the party.

Night Anderson, Erica, and gang.

January 14, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  10. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Wow is it 10PM already? Man time flies! Amazing show tonight guys! 🙂

Good night Anderson, Erica and Bloggers! Have a great night! Talk to you all tomorrow!

January 14, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  11. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Being that it's an historical term for this presidency, I think it will be interesting to see what the Obama's change in the White House.

January 14, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Wonderful shot....I could practically reach out and touch the nostalgia.

Thanks for yet another phenomenal show AC360. You have yet to disappoint!

Good night all and stay safe!

January 14, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  13. Lauren--NY

I personally like Michelle's fashion sense. And I don't mind that there are government funds going toward the inaugural celebrations and to her dress and to the interior design. Morale is worth the money–they shouldn't party like this again for a very long time, but for once, let them do it. People are excited about the party, the dress, the decorations, the puppy–let them be. We need this right now.

January 14, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Sharon

I have to just say this and be done, I think all the corruption that has and still is going on in this country is just appalling!

And for some judge to just let this big rip off artist Madoff do as he pleases? Well that says it all for me, this country has just gone there is nothing or anymore I beleive in here anymore!

Sad very sad

January 14, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  15. vincent

Great show, great blog, we will miss Ricardo very much, he was a gentleman with a lot of class.

Good night everyone

January 14, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  16. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Bea, I was kind of thinking along those lines during the "gown" discussion. It seems strange that in 2009, we still have to remind everyone that the First Lady is not a fashion accessory. Hopefully Michelle will make that quite clear herself!

Great show tonight, Anderson! Thanks!

Hope all of you have an excellent night! Talk to everyone tomorrow.

January 14, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  17. Jaya, Dallas

Regarding the redecorating of the White House, I can totally understand the Obama girls needing rooms appropriate to their needs, but spending up to $100,000 at a time when most Americans don't have a paycheck seems over the top and unecessary . Where is he getting the $100,000 from?

Before my comments are dismissed, I should mention I'm speaking as someone who voted for Obama.

January 14, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  18. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

The Plane , the plane..So sorry to hear Ricardo passed away. He was classy. Anyone who could keep a straight face in that series deserved an emmy.

January 14, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  19. Gisselle - Houston TX

Every time I pay taxes I cringe but I rather the money go to decorating the White house, a place that represents the heart of this nation and our face to the world than to bail out crooked bankers and rich automobile executives traveling in private jets! Ugh!

January 14, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  20. Dawn T. Pittsburgh, PA

Hey Anderson,
    I worked in foster care for several years in PA. Children are removed from the care of their parents due to abuse and neglect only. A prelimnary investigation took place prior to the removal of the children. Although the names are ridiculous and I don't buy the father's version of giving the crazy names "new meaning", there is no way the children were removed for that reason.

Also, on a different topic, what was up with the earlier interview with Jerry B.? He came across very arrogant and kept plugging his book. It was a good topic and you did a great job but I couldn't wait until that was over 🙂

January 14, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't care for Michelle Obama's "style" either.

January 14, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  22. Pati Mc

Not meaning to be disrespectful, but when I heard that Ricardo Montalban had passed, all I could think was – no more "Corinthian leather". I know, I know, shame on me!

January 14, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  23. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Ah, my heart aches a little with the passing of yet another Hollywood legend. They just don't make them like that anymore....

January 14, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  24. Bonnie

So will the Obama's have furniture by the 20th?

January 14, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  25. Brandi - bottom of the boot

great show, goodnite all.

January 14, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  26. Clarence Albuquerque

When will the public get to see the final White House decor? Basket ball court instead of a bowling alley... hmm

January 14, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  27. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I think as long as the Obama's keep it relatively conservative with redecorating the White House all is good. This is a tradition that each first family has gotten to do and it wouldn't be fair to the Obama's to say that just because of the economy he shouldn't redecorate...he isn't the only President to take office during a recession. And each first family is different and they have to tailor their living space to their taste.

January 14, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Jana, That is a good point. The Obamas should set an example for the rest of the country.

January 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  29. Matt

I bet Obama has no say in how the place gets decorated. I think we know who's the president of that family lol

January 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  30. Sharon

Madoff, the name alone says it all about him doesn't it?

Yes I believe there is a separate Hell for people like him!

Why have not all his assets been taken yet? or Frozen? Is there some reason this crook gets treated differently than any other criminal?

January 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  31. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Ok, I was just going to ask how much they were going to spend on this. I'm glad there is a limit. In times like this, good to hear. Really, in any times, there should be a limit.

January 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  32. Bea

The woman will handle the decorating. How quaint.

January 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  33. LisaL -Canada

good show tonight.
    Ricardo Montalban will be missed by many.

glad to see John King getting more air-time.

January 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  34. Pati Mc

So they only get $100.000. to redecorate? Surprising. Course, I could do miracles with that much money.

January 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  35. Larry

Its too bad Hitler didn't get into art school.

January 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  36. vincent

Der Mr. Gergen, is saw your remarks, perhaps you are right, however, i still feel that i don't understand this situation well and still have deep concerns about where the money is going?

I also wish that the inaugural balls, celebration and clothing etc. would be within reason. with the financial crisis that we are told we are in, it would be nice if the taxpayer's money would be considered and used smartly.

January 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  37. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

White House makeover? They better wait until the new, first pup is housebroken..They would save big bucks on the goods that will be soiled by the little accidents of puppyhood. Put that Designer on hold.

January 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  38. Mike, Syracuse NY

The K Mart home department is on full alert.

January 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  39. Glen Up North

Quite frankly, I'd rather name a son of mine Anderson than Adolf. (Anybody blushing yet? (laughs)) Whatever happened to reading names out loud around the newborn until the child suddenly takes note of one?

January 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  40. Saera El Paso, TX

i really think the names on their own are not abusive, it's how the kids will be treated because of their names in the future. their teachers and their classmates, and their classmates' families will all harbour some form of resentment and/or pity. it's not healthy for the future of the children and their mental health. the name Adolph Hitler would be nice if it wasn't immediately associated with that idiot.

January 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  41. PAUL

President elect Obama should call out to the press anyone in congress who votes against the bailout ! This nonsense on capital hill must stop and stop now if we are going to have any hope of saving this economy and this country ! Partisan politics have no place here and anyone not willing to cooperate in getting us back on track(namely the republican machine that deregulated wall street in the first place) should be hung out to dry ! (or maybe just hung, lol like traitors were in the days of our forefathers ! )

January 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  42. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I wonder who is paying for this high priced designer? Don't look now, but I think it is us!

January 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  43. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Renee, I disagree. I think Mrs. Obama has great (and reasonably-priced) taste.

January 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  44. Lori from IL

The kid naming story is strange and scary - I know it's a free country, but why would you subject your child to the consequences of such a name?

This hour seems to be flying by - Good show tonight, Anderson.

January 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |