January 14th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Little Adolf Hitler In Custody

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

A three-year-old boy in New Jersey named Adolf Hitler has been taken away from his parents.
So have his younger siblings JoyceLynn Aryan Nation and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie.

But in an interview with a local newspaper, the father of the children says he's not a racist. "A name doesn't make a person," said Heath Campbell. "My son is going to learn to love. None of my kids are going to have a bone of hate in their body," he added.

Do you agree?

When we contacted the New Jersey Department of Children and Services it would not comment on the case. However, it told us that children are only removed from their homes if they are in imminent danger and only after an allegation of abuse or neglect is made. It stressed a children is never removed because of its name.

The controversy first made headlines last month when a supermarket refused to write "Happy Birthday Adolf Hitler" on a cake for the boy.

We'll have the latest on this controversy tonight on AC360°.

Plus, new details tonight on the pilot who first faked his death and then tried to kill himself.
And, the new drama surrounding President-elect Barack Obama. He finds himself now defending his pick for Treasury Secretary after it was revealed Tim Geithner didn't pay some taxes.

Those stories and more tonight on AC360°.
Join us at 10pm E.T.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Vickie MO.

I believe that, the Department of Children and Services has done more damage to these children, than, their own names have. If, these children are being feed. And, have no bruises. BUTT OUT!

January 15, 2009 at 9:36 am |
  2. Rashelle

It's absolutely ridiculous that these children have been taken from their parents. It seems clear to me that if the hearing is private and the Department of Children's services is making no comment on the matter that they are merely trying to prove these parents unfit because of their varying view of the original Adolph Hitler. It's truly unfair that in a country that is meant to be free there is outrage over this. If not freedom of thought, opinion, and speech then what is America for?

January 15, 2009 at 7:48 am |
  3. Easter

Having lived with an unusual name for 56 years, I do not feel parents have "a right to name their kids what they want". I have lived with all the abuse and riddicule that cruel and heartless children can dish out, only to be topped with adult abuse. I have really had a miserable existance over my name over the years, even though it was insisted upon by my delivery doctor, and I wish the government had made my parents change my name. The comment about parents having the right to be stupid is one thing, but the right to inflict stupidity on a child should be criminal.

January 15, 2009 at 6:18 am |
  4. Kendrick Ellis

This doesn't shock me at all, and shouldn't shock anyone else....

The parents of these children have done nothing wrong at all. They care about little Hitler cause they even had a birthday party for him. I have never had a birthday party until I wanted one, not cause my parents didn't care, I was a Jehovah Wittness. And don't get me wrong, I'm a 30 year old Black male. If people or State are trying to teach the parents a lesson, let Life do it for them. Because I would not want to live those childrens future. Not to be funny, but I do like the name Aryan, is that O KKK?

January 15, 2009 at 4:32 am |
  5. Cassandra

My personal opinion on this whole situation is that the parents have not thought about the mental abuse their children will endure through out their childhood. It is wrong that they would name their son after such a hateful person in which he probably will look up to because he was a man that he was named after! I am sad to say that people have no respect for others. The fact that someone would name their child after such a tragic event that would remind survivors everyday that there is still hate towards them makes me sick! I'm very sorry for the survivors and the children!

January 15, 2009 at 3:20 am |
  6. Tom Walls

These parents are not doing these beautiful kids any good, that is for sure! The dad needs his butt kicked. But this is America & even though I would like to kick his butt myself, I will fight to keep the right so he can do it. The poor little kids can change their names when they get older. I just feel sorry for the kids.

January 15, 2009 at 2:54 am |
  7. rockcairn

Ok, yes, they used their kids for their own "expression" which isn't right, but how many others do the same with their life views and the kids get caught in the middle? In almost every other case, it's argued that they have the right to bring up their kids with the values THEY believe, not what society at large believes.

January 15, 2009 at 2:01 am |
  8. Tim

It does not make sense that the father claims his children will be loving, normal children. When they get older and realize what their names stand for, do the parents not realize that it is almost unfair to give them such a name? The children can be very troubled about this in the future. It is hard to determine whether this is actual "child abuse" but situations like these make me think that there should be a short list of names that should be illegal to register your child with on birth certificates and other legal documents

January 15, 2009 at 1:50 am |
  9. ben kipkoech

A name can look just like a name but as the kid grows,and learn more about Hitler ,to some extend he will deffinetely acquire some of his characters in the future.why should one decide to ruin the future of a little poor kid? give him a chance to live a better life .Dont mess him up.Change that name.

January 15, 2009 at 12:48 am |
  10. jana

why would you name your children after dirtiest/most disgusted words in the world?

January 15, 2009 at 12:12 am |
  11. ida

There is nothing wrong with the name Adolf, I might (big might) even look past the hitler part as a middle name but 2 children in the same family, the other one is Arian Nation. There is certainly something wrong with their parents social situation. think about their childrens futures its child abuse!

January 15, 2009 at 12:08 am |
  12. anthony

What a horrible thing.

Honestly I’m surprised this hasn’t been done yet.

They will be forever pilloried . . . At best fawned for overcoming the odds and being lovers of goodness, truth and beauty like I believe every personality at the marrow does.

Best of luck to those kids.

January 15, 2009 at 12:04 am |
  13. Donna

Just because they have been removed doesn't mean that they won't be returned if the parents meet the terms of the departments conditions. Depending on the reason for removal it could mean some type of counseling, removing hazardous environmental conditions, proof of sobriety, etc.
    Although this isn't a typical definition of abuse, I agree that the teasing, harrassment and torment that these children will probably face is an emotionally abusive potential.

January 14, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  14. peter gill

adolf Hitler – What about Napoleon or Ghengis, very popular today. One hundred years from now Hitler may be very popular, who knows.

January 14, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  15. Fanny

Give me a break. Parents have been indoctrinating their children in whatever they are involved for centuries. How do you think george bush became a politician or on personal note most ofus chose our religions. I know of what i speak. I happen to be a christian. I can assure you my children will also be. These peopel, putting it very mildly, as misguided as they are, are not doing anything other than what the rest of us do- transfering their value system to their children. Locking them up because we disagree with them scares me a whole lot more than their nazi affiliation. As Rosanne Barr once said screwing up every child as much as they can is every parents prerogative. I am paraphrasing. Hers was funnier. Let them and their ignorance be.

January 14, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  16. ray pereira

When did we lose the right to name our kids whatever we feel like naming them? Is this what we have evolved into? Names are names this does not define the person, because a child is named Jesus does that mean he's the next messiah. Above all the stupidity of the parents to name their child adolph hitler in america is just that, stupid. But this doesn't surrender our rights. So now we have to ask for permission from the government when we name our sons cause it might not be politically correct. Give the children back you're causing more harm removing them then their names ever will.

January 14, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  17. Karen Bradshaw

I, too, find this news disturbing, esp. w/all the conflict in the Middle East today.
    Anyone who would name a poor defenseless child after a dictator needs to have his or her child taken somewhere safe.
    Karen in Kansas

January 14, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  18. dbl.r

I wonder if some stupid parent named their kid Geo. W. Bush, if the kid would be taken away from the parents ? How about Richard B. Cheney ? Donald Rumsfeld , Richard Perl , Scooter Libby , ......

January 14, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  19. Kayleen Cohen

As a jewish American I find this extremely disturbing. True, there is no law saying that they can't name their children these offensive slogans, but as American's they should understand the moral consequences of these names. Through out these children's lives they will be subjected to relentless embarrassment and torment. I sincerely hope that these children are not abused, and I hope that their parents will put their personal views aside for the good of their kids.

January 14, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  20. Angela Ness Vancouver Canada

Naming your children after one of the world's most despised men in history is a form of child abuse . Try having them meet people that do not have a preconceived notion of them , or their beliefs , good luck . The parents should have changed their own names , suffered with that for awhile and then mabey have seen the errors in their ways , good luck again .

January 14, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  21. Dell

Unlawful acts aside, our constitution provides every American the right to be stupid if they so choose to be. Obviously they have taken full advantage of this entitlement.

January 14, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Rosemarie S., NJ

If you're crazy enough to name your child after ADOLF HITLER, then you're crazy enough to justify the state taking them away!!! Those parents have just condemed that child to one messed up future. That name is gonna mess with that kid's head for years to come. What a horrible thing to do to an innocent child. It might not be physical abuse but it sure is mental abuse. While their at it they might as well have another kid and name it something 9/11ish like Osama bin Laden!! Idiots.

January 14, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  23. Mike Meissner

And it's was OK for Frank Zappa to name his children, Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet Emuukha Rodan and Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen. Another case of a state putting it nose where it doesn't belong.

January 14, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  24. Wayne

The point about the name not being the person (Sharon) gets to the heart of the situation. My name (Wayne) wouldn't be allowed in some circles because a lot of serial killers' middle names were Wayne. You can't make a judgment based on a name – just because the father/mother was high when they named him is no reason he should have to suffer – remember Grace Slick's son 'god?' Wonder how he turned out???

January 14, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  25. Karin

This is bizarre, at best! The parents obviously have real issues but then again, SO DO MANY parents-you don't need a license to have kids. You need one to drive a car.

We actually need more information!

January 14, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Mathias

Shame on those parents for putting that stain on their children. It's their right to name their kids whatever they want to. If there has been some kind of abuse discovered then they should be removed from the home. However, If the children were removed because of their controversial names then the the New Jersey Department of Children and Services is no better than the infamous person for whom the child has been named.

January 14, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  27. Dustin, Columbus, OH

The parents obviously did this to get attention and make people angry. Why else would they request a birthday cake with their son's first AND last name on it if they weren't looking to get a reaction? I think "Happy Birthday Adolph!" would have sufficed.

January 14, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  28. Bob Pomeroy

What is this, "A Boy Named Sue" revisited on steroids? Free Speech does not include child abuse. It is not a protected right to send your child into the crowded theater of general society shouting fire because his or her parents branded him as a firebug.

January 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  29. Gene Penszynski from Vermont

What's in a name ....... I am sure G W Bush and Dick Chenney are much more like the original Adolf Hitler than this three year will ever be.

January 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  30. Vickie L. Brady

I think it is awful to name a young child after Hitler but to take him
    away from his parents, no. I think we need to see proof of abuse or neglect to continue.

January 14, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  31. Michele Beller

Honestly, everyone has a right to their choices, but I can't help but find someone who chooses to name his poor little child ADOLF HITLER rather suspect. Makes my skin crawl.

Can't wait to hear the rest of the details on this one. Maybe Joe –er, I mean Sam can cover this story, too?!

January 14, 2009 at 9:57 pm |
  32. Sharon

I think I would need more information on this before I comment! But a name should not matter after all our President has an odd name does that make him a terrorist? I hope it is not just because of the name these children were taken?

January 14, 2009 at 9:52 pm |
  33. Frances, Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Hi Anderson,

I feel so sorry for the boy who is named Adolf Hitler. Just the mention of that name stirs up hatred and disgust in most people. I think that parents should not be allowed to do this to their children. This poor boy will probably go through life being the butt of jokes and other cruel things. The fact that he was removed from his home leads me to believe there is something more going on. Maybe by removing him will be the best thing that ever happened to him. He might be able to grow up and have a normal life and hopefully change his name.

January 14, 2009 at 9:49 pm |
  34. Annie Kate

Those children may not be neglected or abused but their parents did them a great disservice in giving them those names – the children will be fighting the stigma of those names their entire lives because like it or not we do associate certain personality traits with infamous names such as these. Children have a hard enough time growing up without giving them an added burden in what they were named to deal with.

January 14, 2009 at 9:36 pm |