January 13th, 2009

Back In BlackBerry? Obama Could Get PDA

Declan McCullagh
CNET

Bill Clinton sent only two e-mail messages as president and has yet to pick up the habit. George W. Bush ceased using e-mail in January 2001 but has said he's looking forward to e-mailing "my buddies" after leaving Washington, D.C.

Barack Obama, though, is a serious e-mail addict. "I'm still clinging to my BlackBerry," he said in a recent interview with CNBC. "They're going to pry it out of my hands."

One reason to curb presidential BlackBerrying is the possibility of eavesdropping by hackers and other digital snoops. While Research In Motion offers encryption, the U.S. government has stricter requirements for communications security.

Read More...

Filed under: Barack Obama • Technology
  1. Big Mark

TMT = Too Much Technology. It's sick watching psycho stupid Americans contatntly blabbing and texting on their cell phones–disgusting, vulgar, ADD and addictive assinine Americans and our sicko culture and society and values. We all need to logoff, disconnect, and go hug a tree and sit on top of mountain and watch the sunset.

January 13, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  2. Joanna

Isn't there some way that he can keep it.

January 13, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  3. Robyn (Carlsbad, CA)

I would think he has better things to do as president than to be sending emails. They better "pry it out" of his hands. This is a security issue.

January 13, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  4. Isabel, RJ, Brazil

The email is a services of electronic communication more widespread of the Internet and also one of the most insecure. The infrastructure of email in general provides little support for security and privacy and easily allows various types of fraud and unfair practices.

What we see today, in the technological means, are 'ordinary' people who suffer with 'malware' (malicious software) or phishing. The pressure on the President of the largest nation will be much greater.

With so many cases of invasion of emails from politicians (Republican candidate for vice-presidency, Sarah Palin, Canadian Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, the French presidency, Nicolas Sarkozy), jokes aside, the situation is extremely delicate, and even me putting in place of PE Obama, and not imagine how I managed to survive without my HTC Touch, it's very plausible that he sacrifice himself since the nation's security is at stake.
    I believe that Obama has to say goodbye to your blackberry.

ps:
    phishing is a form of electronic fraud, characterized by attempts to acquire sensitive information such as passwords and credit card numbers.
    malware is software designed to infiltrate a computer system of alien unlawfully in order to cause any damage or theft of information (confidential or not).

January 13, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  5. Alex (Aliso Viejo)

Hmmmm.....I wish I can have one of these. A wee bit thinner and smaller though would be great. Here comes 21st century... Just gotta love gadgets

January 13, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  6. Laura Stone

No way for me to contact Barak Obama to request he look into Windfall/Offset of Social Security and realize it is old, outdated, discriminating, and devastating to the Federal retirees who are victims, and needs to be eliminated. Very similar to the "notch" years which law was never eliminated .Groups, including NARFE, have been working on elimination for years with no result. Windfall/Offset is an "economy" issue for the victims.

January 13, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  7. Cindy

Well, Obama should join the club! I think many, many people are addicted to their BlackBerry's and can't leave home without it. Hey..just ask Cooper! LOL But at least Obama may get to have a PDA. Don't know if that will appease him though...it's not the same. But at least he isn't going cold turkey.

Cindy...Ga.

January 13, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  8. Larry

What is to prevent those who would do harm to our country's defense, financial structure, etc from having access to the same security that e-POTUS Obama is seeking for his Blackberry?

January 13, 2009 at 12:34 pm |