January 12th, 2009

No, Slumdog Millionaire is not a reference to Renee Zellweger's Golden Globes outfit

Jack Gray
AC360° Associate Producer

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that when Mickey Rourke thanked his dogs last night he probably wasn’t thanking a Lhasa Apso named Mrs. Snuggles and a Bichon named Kenneth.

In case you missed it, The Golden Globe Awards were given out last night in Los Angeles.  It was a big night for Slumdog Millionaire and a not-so-big night for The Curious Case of Brad Pitt’s Moustache.

Huge thanks to all of you who joined me for our 1st Annual Golden Globes Live Blog here on AC360.com.  We had a great response and I really enjoyed it.  I want to be clear:  Everyone realizes there are much more important things in the world than Hollywood awards, nevertheless it was fun to indulge ourselves for a few hours.  And by indulge I mean sharing a bag of Pepperidge Farm Goldfish Crackers with my dog, who kept trash-talking the dog from Marley & Me.

Meanwhile, it’s gearing up to be another big week in Washington.  Hillary Clinton’s consolation hearings, um, I mean confirmation hearings begin tomorrow.  And apparently the Roland Burris Reality Show could end as soon as today. The Democratic leadership appears to be finally ready to seat Mr. Burris now that he has complied with their request to delete Rod Blagojevich from his list of Facebook friends.

And here’s something to chew on:  A few reporters for The New York Times are already predicting the economic crisis could cost President Obama – get this – his re-election.  Because if there’s anything political reporters are good at it’s predicting the outcome of races four years away.  Isn’t that right, President-elect Hillary Clinton?

Speaking of Mrs. Clinton, her likely replacement, Caroline Kennedy, met with political leaders over the weekend in Brooklyn.  The consensus was that Mrs. Kennedy was impressive, though she probably overdid it when she broke into her a cappella Beastie Boys routine.

Elsewhere, there’s word that North Korea has offered to send its Chief Nuclear Negotiator as an envoy to President-elect Obama’s inauguration.  So I guess we know who will be sitting next to Rod Blagojevich.

And President Bush held his final news conference this morning.  He told the members of the White House Press Corps that he has enjoyed working with them.  Then he and Helen Thomas serenaded each other with a smoky rendition of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

Finally, on a personal note, today is my father’s birthday.  So happy birthday and much love to the man who is responsible for my interest in politics and my aversion to anything that resembles a baseball glove.

And congratulations on being one year closer to getting that senior coffee at McDonald's.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Jack Gray • Raw Politics
  1. Ilhana, Bosnia

It was a cool awards show! I'm especially happy because Heath Ledger was awarded as the best supporting actor...

Happy bday to your dad!=)

January 13, 2009 at 5:31 am |
  2. Roweena D'Souza, Mangalore

Well, if it ain't the black semi-mermaid!

Happy Birthday to your Dad, Jack.

January 12, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  3. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hi Jack:

The GG Live Blogging was fun last night, I'm glad it was a success and that you enjoyed it too! Thanks to the powers above at AC360 for letting you do it. Other than the stars constantly shushing the crowd, Mickey Rourke's win was the highlight for me.

Looking forward to the Oscars! I wonder if Mickey Rourke will bring his Chihuahua? Anyone who thanks their dog during an award show's acceptance speech, is okay in my book!

Hope your dad has a wonderful birthday today! Not only is he one step closer to that Senior coffee at McDonald's, but my guess is he is also one step closer to dentures, hearing aids, and let's not forget those infamous hair plugs! 😛

January 12, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  4. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Congratulations on the success of your Golden Globes blog last night...I wasn't able to participate cuz I had to be at a meeting til 930CST....but I did glance through the comments and it looked like everyone had a blast!

I watched bits and pieces of Bush's news conference today...January 20th can't come fast enough!!!!

Happy Birthday Mr. Gray! Hope you have an amazing day!...Jack I hope you called your dad too! 🙂

January 12, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Jack!!!!
    Thanks for let me join your blog Golden Globes!!! It was so awesome blog! I hope we will other Academy Award again live blog! Also, Tell your dad " Happy Birthday more celebrate for him!!!! I hope you have great day!!!!! I love Renee Z.., she was so amazing actress!! I will see you soon!!!!!

January 12, 2009 at 7:29 pm |
  6. Tammy, Berwick. LA

Happy the GG blog went well. I never can sit through an entire awards show. Too much ADD, I guess. The only thing I wanted to see was Heath Ledger win. Which I did. And then I changed the channel.

Nothing is ever boring in the land of politics. I really doubt they're going to let Hillary through smoothly. There's too much water under the bridge from years past for that one to happen. Should be entertaining.

Happy birthday to your dad. To raise you, he must have a pretty sharp sense of humor, too.

January 12, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  7. Brandi - bottom of the boot

oops, im so sorry jack.

happy birthday daddy jack! and no, you cant have him back now.

January 12, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  8. Brandi - bottom of the boot

jack,

you are a treasure to us all. (and yes, im singing and dancing to the beastie boys Brass Monkey in my head now). i hope you dont get fussed at or pushed down the stairs for being so popular with us. 🙂

AC360 has got the best team there is! all of you are great.

oh, and jack, mickey rourke's puppies are chihuahua's! lol

January 12, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  9. SAFA

hi jack

Ilike you blog it so fun last night every body was beuty except the Shahrukhan he look like to me funy i also rmmber me horor movies i turn of my tv awail ..A.rahman he so good nice i like him ........

i send mssg my two queens halima and mubarak much love

January 12, 2009 at 6:07 pm |
  10. EJ (USA)

Maybe – just maybe – if Renee had worn a black bra the outfit would look better – but as she wore it – it looks like she forgot to put on a part of the dress!

January 12, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  11. EJ (USA)

Happy birthday to Jack's dad! I bet he's a funny man too!

Renee's dress is atrocious. I didn't see the Globes as I was dying to see 24 last night. I didn't know they would show 2 episodes. They were great! Glad you all had so much fun blogging.

January 12, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  12. Stacy from NJ

Live blog was fun. Thanks.

Look forward to Hilary's Confirmation. Now we can get story's about actual events, than story's about speculation. So glad we are finally at the confirmations. Hope most of it goes smooth.

Happy Birthday Papa Gray!

January 12, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  13. JQQQ

Happy B-day to your dad:)

January 12, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  14. Annie Kate

Hey Jack

Glad your blogging went so well last night.

I'm not surprised that some are already predicting that the economy could cost Obama the re-election. There are always nay-sayers and people who can't let election fever go. Its just a tiny bit premature I think though to be saying this before the man has even taken office!!

We need to remember that in the depression of the 1930s it took FDR's administration 10 years of public works programs and mobilization for the war against Germany to pull out of the depression. Obama has outlined the public works part in his economic package – a war though? Well, we have Iraq and Afghanistan but those aren't going to require mobilization like WW2 did – however, we do have the "war" on climate change – that could be the salvation of our economy as we retool and reinvent our power sources, creating green jobs in the wake of all this.

That dress of Renee's is certain eye-catching. The girl next door never wore a dress like that....but Renee looks great in hers.

Have a great day Jack and tell Sammie hello from us all

Annie Kate
    Birmingham aL

January 12, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  15. Mark

Jack,

Congrats on your live blog and a very happy birthday to your Dad.

January 12, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  16. Kristen-University Park, PA

Jack your GG blog was a success, congratulations and thanks for having it.

Happy B-day to your dad.

January 12, 2009 at 3:00 pm |
  17. Heather

Hi, Jack,

Loved the GG blog. It was much more entertaining than the actual broadcast. I'm looking forward to the Oscar's blog. Hope Sammy isn't too crabby today after being cooped up all last evening.

January 12, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  18. Paula V. Boston, MA

Jack,

I am a first-time blogger on this site, and am looking forward to reading more! My first reaction to seeing Renee Zellweger's outfit last night was: WHAAT??? If you have the money to hire a professional designer, why not hire a good one? Maybe call J Lo's designer (ok, maybe not – she was wearing one of her old P-Diddie outfits.) Or maybe Cameron Diaz's designer (oh, wait...she's looking more and
    more like a homeless person every time I see her). Maybe they're all just saving their best dressed looks for the Oscars. And who was the guy drinking a beer on stage? Talk about slumdog millionairs.

Happy b-day to your dad...

January 12, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  19. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi Jack,
    Happy Monday and Happy Birthday to your father. Hope you both have a wonderful day. It was a lot of fun yesterday on the live blog. I agree with Fay – CA, it's good (and probably very healthy) to indulge in some fun every so often. I'm looking forward to next time!

January 12, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  20. Dee from CT

I missed the globes and the blog last night, however, I'm confident that it was a blast ... Jack, if anyone mentioned to you that there are "more important things in the world than Hollywood awards", they need a serious kick in the pants. Laughter – temporary at that – is what makes us all be able to stand the gloom and doom of the everyday. Kudos to you for bringing it on! And to Sammy for putting up with it, even if it takes cigarettes and tequila!

Happy Birthday to your Dad, wishing him many, many happy returns!

January 12, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  21. Vanessa, El Paso,TX

hey jack last night's blog was SOOO much fun, I hope you do it again for the Oscars. It almost felt like a date, you and i. lol You know talk about the worst dressed (renee z) and the winners. I had a great time so I guess I'll see you again sometime lol. I'm particularly excited because you guys announced the winners on the blog, and i'm on MST so I made $50 of your blog! THANX! so dollar menu on our next date jack, on me! lol

and a very happy b-day to your dad!

January 12, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  22. Joanne, Solvay, NY

Renee, hmmm, I see less dress along with less superiority squint...good for her!

January 12, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  23. Marty V Morton, IL

Hey!

What about Drew Barrymore's hair! It looked like she stuck it too close to Renee Zellweger's dress and all that static cling just sort or frizzed it out!....ET........go home! And what was with all the facial hair, are they trying to look less "Hollywood-ish"?....not to mention all the men actors! They had quite a bit going on too! What a night! What a 'em, uh..........show!

January 12, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  24. Isabel, RJ, Brazil

Hi, Jack!

Yesterday was very fun! You are an excellent host in liveblog.
    So if yesterday was a success, in February we will have more? Right?

It would be excellent idea to have a liveblog in the inauguration, with you!

Congratulations and all good for your daddy.
    Best wishes, health, peace and all the best that can exist in our world!

Thanks and a great week!

January 12, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  25. Stacy

Hi Jack, Congrats on the successful blogging last night. It was a lot of fun. Now alas, back to reality...

To those that mentioned live-blogging the inauguration, there's a reason that kind of thing is usually only done with those of the same political persuasion. I'm thinking the atmosphere wouldn't be quite as congenial as last night. I don't really want my parade rained on. Not saying I wouldn't take a peek though.

@Presley: Personally, I would have gone with "Brass Monkey – that funky Monkey" if we're doing obligatory Beastie Boys references.

And finally, happy birthday, Mr. Gray. Congrats on getting one year closer to that cup of joe.

January 12, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  26. Heather,ca

Sorry Jack, tempted as I was to blog about the Golden Globes last night another Jack was far more important. That being Jack Bauer(Keifer) you know 24! Yeah I know missed who are you wearing and all the adulation. Im sure if there was a award for the craziest defense of violating the law by a politician Blago hands down could win.

January 12, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  27. Michelle

Jack wish your dad happy birthday and make sure you
    and Sammy do something real special for him. I hate
    to give Sammy another reason to be a diva dog but it
    appears the Obamas have settled on 2 possible dog
    picks.But take heart the dog from Marley and Me did
    not win either.

January 12, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  28. Fay - CA

Hello Jack, the first annual Golden Globe live blog was a smash hit – your commentary as usual was smart and funny and I really liked reading all of the bloggers opinions and observations about the show and movies and actors in general – I'm looking forward to the Academy Awards live blog.

I don't understand those types who consider anyone who takes an occasional break from the stress of real life *shallow* or incapable of grasping the serious issues that we're facing in the world today – sometimes you just need to get away from all that.

PE Obama seems to be moving quickly to find solutions to the economic crisis, but he's not going to be a miracle worker – maybe those folks predicting his downfall should wait until after he's had a couple of years in the White House before they start jumping to conclusions.

I hope your dad has a wonderful birthday.

January 12, 2009 at 12:33 pm |
  29. Renee

Congratulations Jack on a fun blog last night!

I concur with the others concerning live blogging during the swearing in. We can pause for a moment of silence. You have to admit the cast of characters are getting better and better each day. Who is going to separate Bishop Robinson and Rev. Warren? I hope there is a Rabbi in the house to keep them on their best behavior. Before you know it Warren Jeff's sect is going to need some representation.

January 12, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  30. lee

Forgot to ask you: Is today kind of a letdown for you, Jack? It was a big night for you last night.

January 12, 2009 at 12:21 pm |
  31. lee

I had a terrific time last night, Jack, for the time I was able to participate. I fell asleep about 2 hours into the thing.

So I guess I missed Sammy tap dancing while singing Tip Toe Through the Tulips.

January 12, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  32. Michelle

Jack you are so on point with the HRC consolation hearings
    and the Burris reality show. It's like Maury Povich saying
    "when it comes to a senate seat" Mr Burris you will be seated.
    Hey next time Blago busts out the dope poetry can we here
    Vampire Weekend's Oxford Comma in the background. I am
    thinking dude was an English major.

January 12, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  33. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Good Morning Jack!
    You should do live blogging more often! You are a fun guy! I 'll bet Sammy had a nicotine fit when Mickey Rourke thanked every dog but him.
    Speaking of dogs, that slumdog millionaire dress certainly showed off the new boob job. I heard someone cry, " look at ME!"
    Any ole hootsey, it sure was fun and you are a great participant getting everyone going. Good job.
    @ Pamina~I agree that a live blog during inauguration would be way cool.
    Jack?
    Thank God Bush has his final news conference today. I love any sentence with the two words "Bush" and "Final".
    Finally, Happy Birthday to your Dad! He must be proud!
    Thanks for the blog Jack and FYI: I totally expect you to keep us laughing all the way through the depression!
    XO's and "thanks" to Sammy too!

January 12, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  34. Lilibeth

Hi Jack, congrats on the success of the GG blog! I read through the comments and you were all very comical. Happy Birthday to your dad!

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

January 12, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  35. Cindy

Jack,
    I missed out on your Golden Globes blogging cause well..I had more important things to do, like you know UMM...washing the dog, watching paint dry or ya know pulling my hair out by the roots. LOL Which I'm sure I'd have been doing if I tried to sit and watch that whole show. Sorry Jack...just not my cup of tea! But hey...I hope Sammy didn't smoke you out of the room or cuss ya too much for making her endure that mess! LOL

And tell Sammy not to worry...while Marley has our pocket book strings she has out hearts! Well..OK...as long as she keeps you in line and doesn't bite Anderson too hard when he makes you work over time and she can't get her daily swig or cig! You know the girl has to keep you two wild ones in line. And I must say...I bet that's a hard thing for anyone! LOL

Cindy...Ga.

January 12, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  36. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

Good Morning Jack
    I;m gald your blog was a sucess last night sorry i couldn't get to blog too much wine to think straight! -ha! I aslo want to mention did any one se Sting on the show with dark hair? i almost didn't recognize him i thought it was the wine but wow that's diferent for him. This is not Obama's fault with economy he's just cleaning up Bush's mess .

Happy birthday to your Dad!

Thanks for your post Jack you are so funny!

January 12, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  37. Presley

NO...SLEEP...TIL BROOKLYN!!!!
    I LOVE The Beatsie Boys reference....

And WOW, great response to the Live Blogging, it was fun.
    A little harmless Award shows fodder and snarking never hurt anyone.
    Unless you're Sasha Cohen today and in that case, hide, Madonna is looking for you.
    Happy Birthday to your Dad, he shares this day with Christiane Amanpour, Rush Limbaugh, Howard Stern and Kirstie Alley.
    Now that's a PAR-TAY!

Thank You Jack and whomever OK'd last night.
    XXO ♥

January 12, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  38. Pati Mc

Morning Jack,

I would have bet my morning Starbucks that you would mention Renee Z's Morticia Adamsesque dress again. Thanks for not letting me down.

Clearly we have bigger, more disturbing things to concern ourselves with, but frankly I needed those laughs last night and I thank you so much for providing that for us. Excellent idea, dude, and well executed. We had a great group in my opinion. Lots of chuckles were had by all. Witty banter abounding.

You have addressed so many great issues for the week, but I have to comment on the Gray Lady. Admittefly I read her all of the time, for years, (unlike Sarah Palin – ha!), however, how they feel they can make a statement like that about Obama defies reason. Indeed, we must consult PE Clinton. Excellent point. Eh, well...boys will be boys, I suppose. Seriously people, in the immortal words of John Lennon, "give Obama a chance".

Can we have Caroline Kennedy doing her Beastie Boys routine as The Shot???? Please??

Happy Birthday Mr. Gray. You done good with our guy Jack here. :).

January 12, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  39. Pamina

Hi Jack,
    The live blog last night was fun. Too bad I had to go to bed early and could not stay up for the whole show. Are you going to live blog during the inauguration? That would be cool too, just a thought!
    Thanks for making me laugh!

January 12, 2009 at 11:29 am |