January 9th, 2009

That sound you hear is Tennyson rolling over in his grave

Jack Gray
AC360 Associate Producer

Sweet mother of Pearl, I’m speechless. Was that a gubernatorial news conference or a scene from One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest?

Please tell me Rod Blagojevich did not just trot out cancer patients as political props. Not the same Rod Blagojevich who was allegedly captured on federal wiretaps plotting how to steal money from terminally ill children.

The phrase “not going down without a fight” has now officially been rendered an understatement. Blagojevich is not going down without a one-man show at the Palace Theater. I just hope his $500 stimulus check is enough to cover a straight jacket.

And sure, the governor has the right to stay in office and defend himself. But why he insists on dragging down brilliant literature in the process is beyond me.

Post by:
Filed under: 360° Radar • Jack Gray • Raw Politics • Rod Blagojevich
  1. Gordan Grande Prairie, CA

He puts the "goober" in gubernatorial.

January 11, 2009 at 5:47 am |
  2. Alex (Aliso Viejo)

Since we are talking about the hair for ages, i believe Blago's hair has become so thick it prevented sunlight to penetrate. His brain just can't seem to light up and finally say "Aha, now I get it!"

January 11, 2009 at 12:07 am |
  3. Lien Xing

I think it's the pointy nose and bangs. He has a superman complex.

Honestly, he should just be honest, thin out the bang and curl it. Buy a cape and so forth and that would be it.

He'll be the star of the mental facility.

January 10, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  4. United States Army Major at Fort Leavenworth, KS

I also agree that it is simple distasteful that using honest people, those suffering from illness, as props. That again shows his true character.

January 10, 2009 at 8:57 pm |
  5. United States Army Major at Fort Leavenworth, KS

Disgraceful is the only word that should be used to describe this man the state of Illinois called Governor. Impeachment is to easy a word to use for Blago. PRISON should be used but as our system seems to allow, white collar crime always walks away. Blago has disgraced the institution of government so important to the people of any state. As it is, he will be remembered as the man who got off trying to sell the Presidents senate seat. I only hope that the character of individuals will be investigate and tested deeper prior to election or appointments to public office...the key word here is to serve not exploit and comes from good character.

January 10, 2009 at 8:55 pm |
  6. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I completely agree! He just really needs to sit down and shut up!

January 10, 2009 at 10:49 am |
  7. Jim M

According to some psychological data one percent of the American public suffers from Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Taking into account Spitzer, Palin and Blagojevicy, US governors are way above the statistical average.

January 9, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  8. Don, WA

Yah, Blago's not as funny anymore...that was a pretty low performance by the low banged bigot.

January 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  9. Gisselle - Houston TX

I have never seen anything like it before and what was Mr. Burris thinking when he accepted the nomination from this Blagojevich guy? Wow, WOW!

January 9, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  10. Kelly

I am going to be sick. I am from Illinois and can not believe the gall of this man. He is loving every minute of this. I think he wanted to be impeached – it puts him in the history books. He has screwed our state, not living in Springfield, burning though tax payed money, closing state historical sites due to lack of money, it is gross. He never ceases to amaze me. I bet he tivo'd the press conference so he can watch it over and over again.

I live in forgottonia – the area of the state that has been all but forgotten. Look it up and you will see it is a real place. The Illinois government has screwed us over and over. People ask how he got elected a second time and it is difficult to explain. i think we were believing and seeing what we needed to see – especially after George Ryan. It was the same mentality that re-elected Bush.

I hope most people in other parts of the country realize that most people in Illinois are not dumb or naive. sigh, the whole thing makes me sick.

January 9, 2009 at 9:23 pm |
  11. Eugenia

all you have to do is look in that man's eyes to know that he would sink to any level to "protect" himself.

January 9, 2009 at 8:56 pm |
  12. seaville

It's a three way tie for most absurd politician:
    Spitzer (NY), Kilpatrick (Detroit MI) and Blagojevich (IL).
    At least Blago kept his britches on (as far as we know).
    "money is the root of all evil" or so they say.

January 9, 2009 at 8:22 pm |
  13. Presley

He's bucking for a movie, we have "Frost/Nixon", who knows, maybe one day, "Hasselbeck/Blago".

January 9, 2009 at 8:09 pm |
  14. Carol B., Virginia

Hi Jack! What did Tennyson ever do to him? Quoting Gomer Pyle or Barney Rubble would be more appropriate. The sad thing is he did do some good things for the citizens and that's currently being eclipsed by his arrogance. Have a nice weekend and good luck with your Glog (short for Globes blog.)

January 9, 2009 at 7:58 pm |
  15. Diane - IL

The Illinois senate did the right thing to vote to impeach Blago. If not for the charges against him, but because he is insane. Did he pay those families to appear with him? He couldn't remember if it was a liver or kidney that the young man received. Then he tried to garner sympathy as he talked about his parents working to support their family. Huh? What did that have to do with anything? And finally the poem... Did the people of IL really elect him? Not me. The sooner the Senate trial can begin the better.

January 9, 2009 at 7:40 pm |
  16. jrqqqq

I think the whole Untied States has seen what Illonis brings to the table. Now how do we clean up that State? And come on, Burris at age 71? I don't care what anyone says....age 71 is to old.

Wake up Illinois!

But Alaska feel free to keep Palin inside your State lines! (j/k)

January 9, 2009 at 7:09 pm |
  17. Helen, Reading, UK

Hey Jack, just caught some of Blago's rant on NBC Nightly News over here (sorry to be watching the opposition, but hey, I've got a thing about Brian Williams) and I've come to the conclusion he has the hide of a rhino! And the hairstyle from two decades ago! Spouting poetry and parading the less fortunate citizens of Illinois in a vain attempt to convince us he's not a bad bloke really. Your politicians are much more entertaining than ours! Can't wait to see what Anderson makes of this later. Bet he and Jeff Toobin are having a good old chuckle! I'll stay tuned for the next episode, who needs soaps eh?

January 9, 2009 at 6:55 pm |
  18. Joanne-Calgary AB

This guy is unbelievable .. I can't decide if he truely believes he has done nothing wrong or is one hell of an actor .. and the Emmy goes to...

January 9, 2009 at 6:48 pm |
  19. Joseph T.

"oops" I meant "NOT take away the free bus passes..." Sorry.

Jt.

January 9, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  20. Lori from IL

Oh, Jack -

If you only knew the half of it. The man is not stupid, but he is crazy - and seems to be getting crazier by the day, if that's possible.

Some locals are calling him "Bouffantovich" - don't know if your old enough to remember the "Bouffant" hairstyle.

There is a big celebration planned for Lincoln's Birthday in Springfield. I expect the state legislature to do everything they can to make sure he's gone by that date. We can only hope.

I've enjoyed catching up on your last couple week's posts. (Little behind in my reading these days.) Thanks for all the yucks. Sounds like you were the movie man over the holidays. But you never did say if you woke up Christmas morning to find the Lexus with the big bow in your driveway!

January 9, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  21. Joseph T.

I just hope, as an disabled person on SSA and Circuit Breaker Illiinois, that the government here will take away the free bus passes that Gov. Blago has obtained for us. That would be such an injustice!

Neway, most people are not aware of the fact that Chicago (where Gov. Blago hails from) is originally called "the Windy City" not because of it's weather but because the politics here are "windy" or unsettleing.

It's so uninformed when I hear people referring to it as the Windy City when it's cold and windy out there. We are not any more or less windy than any other city - except perhaps Honolulu.

January 9, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  22. Bruce Hoff

He is hanging on by his finger tips and grabing for anything in sight to break the fall. He needs to grab any political figure with his morals and take them with him.

January 9, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  23. PA

Well I'm sure if Palin was still Pallin around she'd be sayin, "the people you look up to says alot about who you are," and Nixon couldn't possibly have done him any favours! But he's certainly well rounded, I mean, Tennyson, Kippling, Nixon, Kennedy, I am wondering why Dr. Martin Luther King didn't make the Govenor's list?

January 9, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  24. Tammy, Berwick. LA

The stimulus check might cover the straight jacket, but the therapy and meds are a different matter entirely. I don't think I've ever heard of Alfred Lord Tennyson being manipulated quite like he was today. It's rather ironic, though, that Tennyson thought he had mental health issues, Blago is quoting him, and Blago apparently really is certifiable where Tennyson wasn't. You just can't make this stuff up.

January 9, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  25. Annie Kate

Jack,

Well he may be a thief but he's a well read thief. His statements today did not surprise me after everything that has happened with him and around him since his arrest. He's in his own little delusional world and thankfully we just get glimpses into it. One thing you have to give him credit for – he is good political theater – I haven't been as entertained since Richard "I'm not a crook" Nixon was embroiled in Watergate. At least it takes your mind off the economy for a bit....

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

January 9, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  26. Nina

You cannot claim he did not read at sometime in his life..first kippling, now tennyson!

January 9, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  27. Jim M

Truely a narcissistic personality disorder. It is also obvious that he doesn't understand his role as defined and limited by the Illinois State Constitution. However, how critical can we be since the actions he took which are causing his impeachment are not much different that actions taken by President Bush in his legislative signing statements.

January 9, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  28. Pati Mc

I'm speechless too Jack. Where did this moron come from? Yeesh!

January 9, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  29. Dee from CT

He's actually serious isn't he? He really truly believes what he's saying! I think I'm at a loss for words – you just can't fix stupid!

I respectfully encourage the governor to wise up ... this is beyond absurd!

January 9, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  30. Brandi - bottom of the boot

well sweet mother of pearl, jack, i adore you! lol

January 9, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  31. L Griffiths Australia

I think it is truly fascinating watching this man believe that he can manipulate everyone, not be affected by consequences; and believe that he is getting away with it. I wonder how far his behaviour will escalate as the news drops off and he's starts jonesing for publicity. Do I hear book publishing deal?

January 9, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  32. jw

Look at the hair! It's messed up!

January 9, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  33. Kristen-University Park, PA

I want to know how he was able to hide this crazy side of himself until now?

January 9, 2009 at 4:56 pm |
  34. joanne osinkowski ontario canada

Boy! oh boy! That Blagojevich is Loonier than our Canadian Looney...:)

January 9, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Jack!
    I agree with you........ I believe the house already impeached Blago now! Blago is so dumb thing to do to sell senate or else! Also I agree with Cindy in GA that he is so idiot man! as Nixon/ Blago have past review impeached that past! Hope you have fun weekend and please take lot sleep this weekend! Have a great day! 🙂

January 9, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  36. xtina, chicago IL

The thing is, yes, Blagojevich's administration did all those positive things; but NOW, now that he must spend every waking hour defending himself against some other things he also did that were illegal, he can no longer do the good things. His "people" said in the beginning of this scandal that when Blago can no longer govern in the same manner, he would resign. Now, he can no longer govern because he will be focusing on the trial 24/7.

January 9, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  37. Mindy

Just when I thought it couldn't possibly get any worse, this lunatic comes out for another self-serving tirade against his so-called enemies. This man is making a circus out of the process of governing a state. He is using the media to spew out his nonsensical propaganda.

I hope the Illinois state legislature can impeach and convict this guy sooner rather than later. It's appalling that this creep can try to salvage his rotten reputation by trotting out people in wheelchairs. This man has no shame!

We can only pray that it won't be much longer before he is gone. Then the special prosecutor should indict him and the guy will end up in jail where he belongs.

January 9, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  38. Jennifer - Michigan

And how about when he said "It was Liver disease, right? Oh yeah that's right, Kidney disease"...????? Whatever disease it was. Unbelieveable.

January 9, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  39. Jennifer - Michigan

I know, wasn't that crazy?? I couldn't believe what I was watching, hearing. Some news conference, ey? ??!!?? I'm worried for him. Strange to say the least....

January 9, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  40. Cindy

Jack,

Blago is an idiot...'nough said!

Cindy...Ga.

January 9, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  41. JC- Los Angeles

In addition to Tennyson, I'm sure T.S. Eliot too is tossing and turning and wondering how Chicago politics, like the entire United States, has turned into one big waste land.

January 9, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  42. Hannah Marner

That sound you hear is me, banging my head on my desk.

This guy has passed the point of unbelievable. I'm shocked and speechless. I mean, really.

And my heart goes out to all of the poor, poor people of Illinois who have had to put up with this ditz for so long. Though I do believe that 'ditz' might be putting it too nicely, no?

Oh, and Jack? That was a nice Get Smart reference at the beginning, though. Love that movie.

January 9, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  43. Renee

It's called ego! The man is manic. Well something much worse but those comments would not get posted. Happy Friday!

January 9, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  44. Janet Moore

I can't believe this guy. He actually believes his lies. I'm hoping the impeachment process goes faster than the State said they were going to appoint a president. What a shame all this has to take the spot light off an upcoming historical moment and the start of renewed hope in the future. As my father always said................."You carry your own soul to the market" No one will want Blago's soul.

January 9, 2009 at 4:17 pm |