January 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/9/09

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Ray

Where are the breaks for us in what is still called middle america?
    Still going to work paying the bills, cutting back, staying afloat, and saving less and watching what we worked for so hard for so long go away.
    Where is our bailout? or anything for doing the right thing, and being responsible? can't find anything in the tax plan for us!
    Or am I missing something?
    I am sure you know Anderson if not ask Mr Gergin if I missing something

January 9, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  2. Kathy, Chicago

AC, I went dancing with my kids on the ship. What a hoot. I am lagging more than you, but at least we are young at heart! Wolf has got great moves!! TGIF and have a great week-end!

January 9, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  3. Caroline, Los Angeles

Wolf can't dance. Sorry.

January 9, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  4. Dulcie - Denver

Wow, that went fast!

Great weekend everyone! Get some rest Anderson!

January 9, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  5. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

What a riot.. This gave me a great laugh that I needed...

January 9, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Goodnight everyone! Have a great weekend, and see all of you on Monday.

Hope you have the weekend to relax and recoup after your trip, Anderson!

January 9, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Heather - Spokane, WA

Wolf Blitzer dancing on Ellen.....too funny! Well, he was in a rock band in high school so I guess he is qualified to dance. His name even sounds like a rocker name.

January 9, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  8. Andrew Sagud

Ivan Blago training in the snow. "I must break you"

January 9, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  9. Linda

Oh my goodness agggggggggggh, David Gergen on the Site(My Favorite).
    David Gergen I would sure like to see you included in the Obama Transition to the White House, was that brought up during your visit with the Obama team?

January 9, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  10. Pati Mc

Wow, thanks Maureen, I was not aware that Patrick's cancer was that progressed. Very sad.

January 9, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  11. Maria, Texas

Goodnite all:)

January 9, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Barbara in Boston

I agree with Leah. We need unions to help with restoring some balance to the pay between workers and CEO's.

January 9, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  13. EJ (USA)

Patrick Swayze is beautiful and I so admire that he has been married for over 30 years. I wish him all the best.

January 9, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  14. Simone

You gotta love Wolf! Just gotta love him! Priceless

January 9, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  15. Jacqueline, NY

Goodnight, 'old-man', Cooper! Goodnight all I hope everyone have a wonderful and restful weekend.

January 9, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  16. alfina

I had over 600 plus in my roth IRA should take what is left out?

January 9, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  17. Maureen T

Anderson,
    great to have Suze Orman on the show! You should have Suze on more often!

January 9, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  18. Lori from IL

Wow - this hour seems to be flying by. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Good show tonight, Anderson.

January 9, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  19. Pati Mc

Wait? Was that Wolf Blitzer dancing???? Ha ha ha ha.....

Anderson, I think the gauntlet has been thrown buddy! Ruh roh!

January 9, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  20. David, Indiana

Happy Friday Erica, enjoyed your report on the Obamas moving into the White House.

How did they parachute that money directly onto the tanker? Seems like that would be sort of hard to do? Things working out for the pirates? Was there a crew being held hostage on that tanker.?

Thoughts and prayers out to Patrick Swayze and his family. He's very brave to fight for his health and I wish him a complete recovery from pancreatic cancer. He's a great actor, fully becomes the character he's playing.

January 9, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  21. Ingrid from Northern Virginia

We get to see even Wolf dancing but not Anderson....come on AC....no singing, dancing.....you gotta give us something in 2009!!!!:)
    Night everyone....

January 9, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  22. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

You're welcome for the welcome Kelly! (I'm trying to be as polite as Erica Hill....new year's resolution!)

I think pay discrimination is much more common than a lot of people think.

I think Orman needs a CNN mug. 🙂

Hahaha....Blitzer!! That can be described in one word: Priceless

January 9, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  23. holly, overland park , ks

DENIED ! LOL@ Suze, ok okk, ive been taking my lunch to work as it is since they cut hours! as always great show, have a lovely weekend AC , Erica, David and all the best bloggers!

January 9, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Brandon - Crazy Canadian

if we do not spend we will go into a depression , now i say we all go out for a nice big dinner ever night on our credit cards and then go bankcrupt

lol kidding

pay your bills spend your money and live while we still can

January 9, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  25. Jana, Indiana

Boy this was a fast hour. Good show tonight. Get some rest this weekend Anderson!

January 9, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  26. Maureen, Georgia

Pati Mc, Patrick Swayze has stage 4 pancreatic cancer and he didn't qualify for surgery since it had spread throughout his body including his liver.

January 9, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  27. EJ (USA)

If I had money to get a flat screen TV (approx $400) I would buy one... but no such luck.

January 9, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  28. Teo Lopez

Suze, do you think that will be healthy to stop 401K contribution, loan my money from the plan and found a healthy saving account?

January 9, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  29. ericacnn

great question, lilibeth!

January 9, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  30. Jim M

Unfortunately, while Governor Blagojevich is suffering from a Narcissistic Personality Disorder, it is unlikely that he could be certified as insane – although it may eventually be an argument by his defense counsel when the Feds bring their charges.

Major problem: If he is ever certified as mentally incompetent, the question will arise concerning if he was in such a state when he appointed Roland Burris.

January 9, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  31. frazier jeffery

Sara Palin is really an idiot. Has it not been quite apparent that many people wish she would go away. There are some real issues to workm on in this country and she is of no significance Saturday night Live is where she belonged and not really on CBS with Katie.

January 9, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  32. Vanessa, El Paso,TX

goodnite to all ac360 crew and bloggers and panelist have good weekend ENJOY your weekend anderson CHILLAX OK

January 9, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

How many middle class people have money they don't need right now?

January 9, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  34. Maria, Texas

Anderson, Larry King had a Bishop Jake on this week, who was very realistic and positive about life. Maybe he can have him on sporadically to offer hope while we're going through these hard times with feeling of hopelessness and sadness. PE Obama is the only one we hear from regularly that offers hope. I wonder, if he's going to be able to keep this optimism with everyone else in doom and gloom mode?

January 9, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  35. Ray

Just a thought but I believe Mr David Gergen said last night after Obama's speech that we need to spend the money for labor on American's. Take is sad when you think that tis must be a topic that needs to be brought up for discussion.
    But I really don't believe there is enough will or skill to follow thru with laws already in place for this.
    Am I wrong?

January 9, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  36. Dulcie - Denver

I'm certainly no proponent of Scientology, but I think people are getting them confused with Christian Scientists, who generally don't believe in modern medicine.

They are two very different belief systems. I've never heard anything credible about Scientologists rejecting conventional medical care, psychiatric medications excepted.

January 9, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  37. Stephen Thomas

I agree that women are treated indifferently as far as pay in the work place is concerned, but what about veterans? I was honorably discharged from the military in 2008 and currently work at Target. I enjoy the job I do, but it sucks that I spent so many years "defending freedom" that I have to resort to slicing deli meats because I do not have a degree hanging on my wall. I fortunately have a brother helping me to achieve a degree, but it sucks that being a veteran counts towards NOTHING as far as living a successful life is concerned.

Thanks for doing what you do Anderson!

January 9, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  38. Kelly, Garden Grove,CA

Thanks for the welcome, Ashley!! I've actually been lurking in here for the past few months. It's been interesting!!!!

As for pay discrimination: pay scales in the city where I work are based on merit increases and annual pay raises according to the scale for the job you do, and supposedly both men and women are the same. I'm a library clerk and have reached the top of the pay scale for my job after 8 years.

January 9, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  39. Jerome

It should come as no surprise that women and people of color continue in 2009 to make significantly less than their white male counterparts, even when they are equally qualified. white privilege and male privilege did not go away with the 2008 election so its time that we acknowledge that and work together to end it.

What shocked me about the story was that it didn't even mention how much Latino/as or Asian Americans make, it just focused on the black/white dichotomy. I am a black male and an ethnic studies major and have noticed this about a lot of stories on this program sometimes do that, so I hope that people will realize that these problems are so large and we can not afford to leave anyone out of the discussion. Native American women have it the worst, and reservation unemployment rates (50-90% in some places) would rival that 7.2% U.S. unemployment rate any day, not to say that it isnt significant. But still, I really enjoy the program! GO CNN!

January 9, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  40. Lena

Hi Anderson and Erica & Suze:
    Happy Friday! Great show as always! This question is for Suze – what would be your advice for someone who is in 88K (I know this is terrible) in credit card debt? Total income is almost 200k, barely making ends meet. Please advise.

January 9, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  41. Mike, Syracuse NY

David, It seemed that the rhetoric before the first $700 biliion package was that unless they got it immediately there would be a total financial collapse. Now it seems they are saying (including Obama) that a delay will only cause a longer recession. No one talks about complete collapse. Wash there just panic before, or has there been some stabilization?

January 9, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  42. Mike

What is Obama's plan on helping to keep jobs here in America? Is it for all jobs (ie, both manufacturing and service jobs)? What if it is a foreign owned company? What do you think America's and American's roles are or will be in the new global economy?

January 9, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  43. ericacnn

a big thanks to everyone sending in their q's for suze tonight!

January 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Death comes to us all, rich or poor, powerful or powerless.

"And all your money won't another minute buy."

January 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  45. leah

I know people disagree with me, but that is why people need unions or organizations to help with negotiations, equity and safety. In this economic mess people are giving up all sorts of things to keep their jobs. They will need to fight to get these things back when the recovery comes...

January 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  46. mary boyce

Hi Suze, ,
    I enjoy and appreciate your advice.
    My husband and I have been married 15 years and we have 4 lovely children. He is a self employed landscape designer and I am a teacher. (total income me about $40,000 and his fluctuates around $50,000 though) We are very frugal our only debt currently is our home we have 5.375% rate for 30 years since 2003. we owe $134,450.70 on our home and our payment is $1093.35 per mo. about $604 to interest per mo and $269 principal and we pay an extra $100 per month. We have no credit card debt we use them but pay them off each month we have no car or truck payment at present. I am vested in the state of Georgia with 10 years into the retirement system and am on my 3rd year (my tenure year) in the state of Alabama we the state are under proration and I could possibly lose my job but I am hopeful that I won’t. My husband has been puttiing the maximum into an IRA (Lord Abbot) fund for about 10 years it was wothawer $40,OOO now to about 30,000. My 3 sons have 529 plans with Putnam that have always done poorly and am going to move their money about $2,400 each ( we have been putting $75 per month in each of their funds for 2-3 years and less the previous 8 years) and my daughther has a IRA I think??? Which is doing very well $3600 and she is two!!!. We put $500 per month into an Orange Savings account (was 3% now down a bit) ING AND $10 IN each child’s account. 2sons have about $2000 each in savings (grandparents had Putnam funds they cashed in and we put in savings) and one son $700 boys and Mary Clare $500 we have about $5000 in savings.

My guestions we put $472 a month or so the maximum of $5000 into Mike’s IRA We were wondering since our eldest is in 6th grade (others 4th 2nd, and 2yr old) would it be wiser to either stop or reduce greatly Mike’s IRA AND put that $472 or $300 or so toward the principal on our home so we would have more equity built up so we can get a 2nd mortgage based on our equity in our home and pay off our home much sooner! . Or should we but that $ and the kids college money into the ING savings accounts around 3% interest or some sort of CD???? I know we will not doing anything drastic till I KNOW that I have a job come this August. Thanks for your time. Love Mary Boyce & family (P.S. Oh we insist on good grades so we are hoping and praying they can keep it up and get academic scholarships at Jr colleges or a University- all 3 are in gifted classes)

January 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  47. Barbara in Boston

I enjoy watching the behind the scenes webcam. Great to see all the techies at work. Nice job.

January 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  48. Ken in NC

Good show tonight Anderson and Erica. Need to go now. Have a great weekend all and see you guys Monday night. I pray the world will be a little better off by Monday.

HAPPY FRIDAY.

January 9, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  49. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

My sympathies to the Travolta family. I can't imagine what they are going through. Good to see they were surrouned by the love of family and friends to comfort them.

January 9, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo David!!!! I
    I agree with you!!! Anderson always jetlegged all times, but I already jetlagged to Hawaii 2 months ago!!!! I think you're right!!!! Nice see you on the blog!!!!

January 9, 2009 at 10:45 pm |