January 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/9/09

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Apple, NJ

No tax cut, no stimulus plan, the country as a whole needs to save money, not spending it.

January 9, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  2. Pati Mc

Well David G. I am glad that something good may come from the dismal unemployment numbers. Personally I cannot imagine how anyone could not vote for PE Obama's package. Something has to be done.

Happy Weekend to you Mr. G. We love you!

January 9, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  3. Derek Skinner

Please ask Suze Orman if 401K is still solid enough to continue contributing to with the current economic stresses and futuristic outlooks from "experts"?

January 9, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  4. holly, overland park , ks

how bout a "keeping them honest" investigation on the bailout money? its sad to have to look forward to my tax return as a way of paying some bills, i think we all collectivly agree, WE WANT ACCOUNTABILITY!

January 9, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  5. Roger

Happy Friday Anderson, Erica, Suzie and all.

Ok now where would I go for a bailout? and after this mess is over between Israel and the Palestinians where they are going to go for bailout?
    Who is paying for all this ammo. in Gasa?

January 9, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  6. Mike, Syracuse NY

David Gergen, everyone seems to agree that a huge package needs to be passed, but will the things Obama wants to do actually work, or is it a Hail Mary pass?

January 9, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  7. Maria, Texas

David, it's nice to hear, those in Washington are going to try to give Pres. Obama plans a chance. Do you get a sense the dems and republicans are positive about the future or do they basically feel everything is hopeless? Tks for the information:)

January 9, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  8. Kathy, Chicago

I can't even imagine the pain that the Travolta family is feeling. My heart goes out to them.

January 9, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  9. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Haha Gergen....I agree. I wouldn't want my news from any other. I am so incredibly impressed with the entire team's take on the news and the way they report.

There is a lot of biased and altered reporting out there...and as a journalism student, I am completely grateful for truly good and honest reporting for a model and hope for my (future) profession.

Thank you to the entire AC360 team!

January 9, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  10. Andres

Here's a thought, our government should give the rest of the bailout money to the American poeple, we're the one's that really need it. At least they'll know where the rest of money is going.

January 9, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  11. Leslie Goldberg

Question for Suze Orzman
    My father died and left me a condo which is stock owned. I have a condo fee I have to pay monthly of $1400.00 which I split with my sister. We can't rent it out due to corporation by laws. We have it on the market in Baltimore, it is not selling. Should be lower the price to basically get rid of it? Or hold on hoping it will sell? It is a huge burden, but we need the inheritance to pay off school loans.

January 9, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  12. Ray

Just wanted to send my thoughts and best wishes to all the folks in the pacific northwest. Let's not forget the awful situation going on right now in our own country.

January 9, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  13. Andrew Sagud

Good Friday to Anderson, Erica, Suzie, & Fellow Bloggers.:) 😀 🙂
    Take it easy this weekend Anderson and enjoy the NFL Playoffs. Being in a warzone takes a toll on appearance and morale. An uncivilized, inhumane cauldron is a cavernous abyss of atrocity.

January 9, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  14. Lauren--NY

Honestly, I'm sick of Sarah Palin as well and I think she's a completely irrelevant human being–but if major media outlets deny her airtime, she'll just cry liberal bias. So, let's just let her keep talking and hang herself, as she appears to be very good at it.

January 9, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  15. EJ (USA)

I'm glad Tom Foreman specified that women and minorities made a portion of what "white men" made. During the campaign so many women kept equating Obama with a category he – as a black man – would not fall into. In fact, black men make even less than what white women make. Just something that irked me during the presidential campaign.

January 9, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  16. Maria

I certainly see an inequity between men and women in the salaries, promotions and bonuses in my place of work. And yes, it is unbelievable that this is happening in 2009!

January 9, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  17. Joan Kohnke

Suze, I know it's important to define want and needs. With that in mind, am I correct in "needing" a fence for our back yard to keep our toddler and her baby sister from wandering into the alley when we look away for "just a second " at the wrong time? I want to do the right thing.

January 9, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  18. Maureen, Georgia

The media should ignore SP and stop giving her the publicity that it seems she needs so badly.

January 9, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  19. Mike, Syracuse NY

Lorie Ann, I agree. Most businesses strongly discourgae employees from discussing or comparing salaries.

January 9, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  20. Maria, Texas

I can't wait for the inauguration, I'm sure it's going to be a day full of smiles and great memories. I hope the CNN team are on the ground giving those of us at hope insight to what people are feeling and saying.

January 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  21. Jay-ATX

WOW Blago....I'm tierd of hearing about him...but I can't help but stare when his on TV...

Anderson...u look great (as usual). Take some time to rest your eyes though

January 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  22. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Finally, the elephant in the room is being confronted. Pay discrimination in this day and time is nothing short of embarrassing. It's great to see the issue being addressed in such a concrete way.

January 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  23. Teresa C Phillips

My question for Suze.. Enlighten me about those TV ads who say they can save me a lot if money if they take care of my several credit cards. If this is true which do you recommend?

January 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  24. Barbara in Culver City, CA

It seems to me that Sarah Palin is going to have to make peace with the media if she ever expects to get elected to higher office. On the other hand, she's got you all still reporting on her two months after the election, so maybe she's doing something right. Please no more! Enough already!

How can someone be responsible for an entire country when she won't even take responsibility for herself? Her constant whining is not exactly presidential!

January 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am not a fan of Palin's, but I don't blame her for being angry about that rumor. It was really out of line.

January 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  26. Pati Mc

Gosh, I sure hope Patrick Swayze will be ok. He is an amazing man.

January 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  27. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I pray that Patrcik Swayze will be alright. He has so much inner strength. I hope he can beat this latest infection.

January 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  28. David Gergen

Hello everyone - It's easy to understand why Anderson feels a little jet lagged, but truth is he puts most of us to shame with his capacity to cover breaking news all over the world. I sometimes think he must have a magic carpet.

Spent time with some of the Obama team today as well as on the Hill and found a high degree of consensus that the stimulus package is likely to pass before the end of February - and probably with a number of Republicans on board. Members of Congress want to show that they are a co-equal branch so they will insist on some changes to an Obama package, but my sense is that they are highly likely to pass a huge stimulus package. Today's terrible unemployment numbers made the cause even more imperative.

January 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  29. Ofra-NY

Are we getting the same financial advise that people were given 20 years ago, keep your money invested if it is for long term. Many have followed and have lost most of it now....

January 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  30. Dulcie - Denver

Most companies keep salary information private and you're not supposed to discuss your pay with co-workers. It can be really hard to compare pay rates.

However, I hope that those details are worked out. Women and minorities absolutely must have pay equity.

January 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  31. Kelly, Garden Grove,CA

Re Suze's comment not to spend and finances in general. Out here in California everything's expensive, and hubby's and my paychecks are just about stretched out. He gets OT when they have enough work (he works for a major defense contractor). I just got my part-time hours cut at the library where I work this past October. So far we are hanging in there, but I've had to forgo any extra spending, we didn't even buy each other Christmas presents.

January 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Bren Lister

Simply, I understand the need to stay calm in the 401K program we are contributing to at this time...my concern is learning it is not FDIC insured. Should we withdraw this money or stay where we are?

yes we have emergency money, yes we have investments no market related for the next five years...

HELP...He thinks we should be still...I think we should change

Bren

January 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Ken in NC

Oh GAWD not S. Palin again. If I could ask her one question it would be this. If Joe Biden can say "YES", can you say "Good-Bye"?

January 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  34. Heather - Spokane, WA

Pay discrimination has been a big problem for a long time and it needs to come to a stop. Tell these people to wake up and realize they are in the 21st century now and women have more education and experience now

January 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  35. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It looks like an unlucky year for celebrities.

January 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  36. Ingrid from Northern Virginia

I knew it....back to the Sarah Palin countdown clock for AC.....tsk, tsk

January 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Doesn't that just stink and this day and age when many women are single or are single moms and we still are not getting equal pay.

January 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  38. kim-chicago

Those girls need Mrs.Robinson right now. This has to be a bit overwhelming for kids that age.

This is a big adjustment for all of them...I'm glad they will all be together.

January 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  39. Paolo

There are no excuses for unequal pay for women and minorities vs white men especially if they are doing the exact same job.

January 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  40. Jim M

A footnote to the Illinois Supreme Court action of January 9, 2009. While the Court has decided that the Illinois Secretary of State did not have to "recognize" the Governor's appointment, according to their ruling [page 9] it was recognized that the Illinois Secretary of State could simply certify that the document being presented to Congress was generated by an official of the State government of Illinois. This is akin to a local County Clerk certifying that a birth certificate, lein, or similar document was a "true" copy document held in the county's possession. It in no way recognizes that the original document is ffctual and legal.

Burris has testified before the Illinois Impeachment Committee and now has a certificate from the Illinois Secretaru of State – the only two issues required by the US Senate.

January 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  41. Maria, Texas

Carolyn from Miss. contact your current lender or contact one of the many banks. You'll be surprise at how many banks are willing to take your loan, lower the interest that is if you're employed and sign for electronic payment.

January 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  42. Maureen, Georgia

I hope that law passes quickly, pay practices needs to be fair.

January 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  43. wafa

i cant believe that in 2009 we r still talking about paying woman the same as men

January 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Debbie

I can't believe that there is still pay discrimination in the work force for women, minorities, etc. People should be payed for the work they do, not who they are.

January 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Micci -Indiana

There was on thing that was abundantly clear to me during the Blago press conference today. He has been taking speech classes at the Sarah Palin School for Double-Talk and Gibberish.

January 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Zina

Hi Susie I wanted to ask where should I save my money currently have money in annuties that is secured via state insurance is this save it is not FDIC insure.should I look for something that is strictly FDIC insured; State is Alabama

January 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Kelli, San Francisco, CA

Anderson, old is when you get that membership card from AARP & I don't think you're quite there yet!! Hang in there.

January 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  48. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

How do you know if your wage is less than a man if most places don't let you discuss salaries or risk being let go?

January 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  49. Mary

My Grandmother a simple girl from backwoods Alabama was my greatest asset as a child. Malia and Sasha are so luck to have a great one as well.

January 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  50. marge

my best friend was my mom in law, and well, its fantastic to see that our president loves his mom in law. maybe this will put an end to all thsoe in law horrific jokes?
    every day the Obamas emulate the strength of the true sense of family!
    watch shush and learn, ms. palin, this is the real America!

January 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |