January 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/9/09

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. leah

It is wobderful that Marion Pobinsin is moving in with the Obama family while they setlle in. She is giving up a lot as she has always lived in Chicago. There is few things as precious as a grandmother's' love.

Michelle Obama in her CNN interview stated how Obama loved being part of her big extended family. You could see the love and pride in each other when they were standing on the stage with Biden and his mother. How much she must mean to PE Obama whose mother died so young and his grandmother so tragically two days too soon.

January 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  2. Maureen T

Anderson,
    it doesn't surprise me that in 2009 women and/or minorities are still getting paid less than men!! This must change!!

January 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Erica!!!!
    Happy Friday to you!!!

January 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Ray

So Anderson, glad to see you back safely and I appreciate your hard work.
    So what are your thoughts of the bank's refusing to tell anyone what they are doing with the billions the received from federal taxpayer's.
    Goverment calls it tarp?

January 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Maria, Texas

@Chris Mayes, I totally agree, we get it, things are awful, the ship is sinking fast, but can't they have people on who can project some hope for the future. That's why I like Ali, he tells the truth but at the end you feel there is a light down the way.

January 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  6. Pamina

I think it's awesome that Michelle Obama's mother will be living with the family. Talk about family values- there it is!

January 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  7. John

Both Me and my wife are financially stable, but are stuck in an adjustable rate mortgage that will reset to an extremely high rate in 1 year. We have enough saved away in case something happens... We both have extremely good credit scores (upper 700s), but are having a really hard time refinancing. We have called\reached out to about 5 banks and they all came back with either we don't have enough equity on our home (no kidding in this market!) or we'll need upward of 10k in closing costs! Please help! We are trying to be pro-active and these banks we bailed out are hoarding our cash!

P.S. It was really, really, really hard to get though to talk with banks like Citimortgage and Bank of America – extremely unresponsive!

January 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  8. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Hello Kelly! Welcome to the blog! We're a friendly group...like the Brady Bunch minus the creepy boxes.

THANK YOU AC360!! No one ever mentions the pay brackets for minorities or women. We're just supposed to "be glad we get a paycheck." I bow to you Sir!

And thanks for ending my Friday with some Palin. She's quite comical.

January 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Oh.. also thanks for having Suze on tonight. Seems like you guys have tons of questions already so will be watching to see if she has a different spin. Sure doesn't seem like we got 2009 off to a positive start at all.

January 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  10. Maureen T

Anderson,
    Marian Robinson will definitely be an asset to the Obama's children! How wonderful to have your grandma living with you! Mrs. Robinson seems like a wonderful woman! One more strong woman in the White House!

January 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Mary

Do have to say I can't get to excited about a 300.00 rebate when my power bill alone was more than that this month!

January 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  12. Andrew

Random copy-editorial point: the logo for the Blago impeachment spells the governor's name wrong. Although given the mindbending nature of the story I understand that these things are bound to happen. Happy new year!

January 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  13. LUIS

HEY 2 MORE WEEK OBAMA NEXT PRESIDENT

January 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

The Obama are so cute together!!!! They are so amazing family....... I can't wait see Obama 's Inauguration Day few weeks to go!

January 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  15. rob

We are retired and have $715K in TRP 80% cash/20% mutuals, and have $285k in another TRP account 100% Treasury bonds. We have no credit card debt, liquidated our home 18 months ago and are currently renting. Last year we lost $100K from the market because the $285k ($385k to start – $100k lost) was 80% in the stock market.

What should we do next since we are devasted with the huge loss?

January 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  16. LisaL -Canada

that's so sweet! those girls are so lucky to have a gramma so close to them

January 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  17. Lori from IL

Ahhh... David Gergen. Maybe you could come to IL and straighten out Springfield.

There is a big Lincoln celebration in Springfield on February 12th and Obama was planning to attend. Local media think Obama probably won't if Blago is still gov. So they are kind of looking at that as a deadline for the IL Senate to take action and have Blago removed from office. Only time will tell....

January 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  18. leah

Paolo: PE Obama has also proven he wants to work with them as well but he won't be pushed around by them.

Perhaps this past week is just the usual defining of each others' roles. Remember many of those Senators craved the job that this 46 tear old nexcomer has achieved!!

January 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  19. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think it's great that mom-in-law is going to be living for awile with the Obamas. It will be a relief for them to know their girls are with a family member at all times.

January 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  20. Beth, Albany, OR

Let's see, investment – 3 Mil. New jobs, 3 Mil. people no longer collecting unemployment, 3 Mil. Paying Taxes, 3 Mil paying bills and buying goods and services, hmm return on investment? Lowest estimate overall, maybe 10%/yr. Anyone else getting that?

I actually don't agree with the tax cut because it is only for "working" people - what about the unemployed? That money needs to be "invested" more jobs, more return on investment! Hmm . . . a thought.

January 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Mary

All these critics of Obama's haven't seem to been able to offer a viable econimic plan in the last 8 years. Atleast he seems to recognize that we aren't making it out here. When you find yourself using credit cards just to have gas and groceries for the month it's pretty hard to put anything away. I am sick about my 401K...we had a plan and watched it wash down the drain. Wish some of these crooks would mail me a few jewels!

January 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

TGIF for sure...

Anderson, you crack me up... getting old.. tish... don't say that. But I hear you, it is like you need a vacation after a vacation/trip just to recover.

January 9, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  23. Ryan

Anderson / Suze,

CONTRADICTION.. heeeellllpp 🙂

Seems to me that telling people NOT to spend is contributing to the problem. If I don’t buy consumer goods from company X, then company X must reduce their number of employees due to reduced demand.

Isn’t this just a snowballing effect?

Thanks,
    Ryan

January 9, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  24. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I sincerely love Michelle Obama. I think she is such a strong, independent, intelligent woman. She has so much to offer the world.

January 9, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  25. holly, overland park , ks

everytime i see sarah palin on the show, its time for a trip to the fridge..shes killing my diet! {in other words, can you all stop showing her since she professes to dislike the liberal media so much?}

January 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  26. sandra donehue

There is always a paper trail – don't tell me the government doesn't know where our money went from the 1st Bailout. It should have to be posted for all of us to see!!

January 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  27. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, Erica!

Blagojevich is almost to unbelievable for words. "Crazy like a fox" is a fitting descriptor. Does he just assume that if he ignores his indiscretions long enough, they'll disappear?

January 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  28. Vanessa- Silver Spring MD

I love that Michelle O's mom is moving into the White House. I think it will add a new flavor to the building. It's a family affair. I am really getting tired of Sarah Palin. When is she going to get the idea that the more she talks the more people cringe at her, and their distaste for her builds. Seriously talking about class when it comes to Caroline K. What!

January 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  29. Maureen, Georgia

Anderson SP is always going to have something to say she likes the publicity, she can't let go of her 15mins of fame. The more I see of her she seems more like a child seeking attention.

January 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  30. kim-chicago

...and the second most ridiculous person of the day award after Blago goes to Sarah Palin...that woman needs to learn when to cut her losses.

January 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  31. Carolyn from Mississippi

Suze, since interest rates are at an all time low, can I refinance my student loans? If so, who would I need to contact ? My current interest rate is 6.25%.

January 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  32. Gisselle - Houston TX

I think Sarah Palin and Rod Blagojevich are the Donny and Marie of politics, don't give me wrong I love the Osmonds but Sarah and Rod were separated at birth the two nutso jobs! Sorry Donny & Marie 🙂

January 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  33. David, Indiana

I don't know what to make of the Gov of Illinois quoting Tennyson, closing lines of "Ulysses," seems like he needs to come out and make his case at some point, but I respect him for standing up for himself and his office in the middle of punishing media scrutiny.

Impeaching Blagojevich, Roland Burris unimpeachable reputation, couldn't things be resolved peachably?

January 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  34. marge

Anderson,
    why are YOU giving ms. palin air time? haven't we all heard enough?
    let her alone to watch that all iumportant alaskian/russian oberservatory air space!

January 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  35. Maria, Texas

How dare the banks CEOs take billions of our money because they were struggling and about to go out of business, to come back months later and say they have no idea where the money went. It is obvious they didn't really need the money or they would've used it rather than either embezzeling or doing something illegal. Maybe they gave it to Maydoff.

January 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  36. Kelly, Garden Grove,CA

This is my first time blogging! I've been watching the show when I can (hubby likes to watch old sitcoms on Nick@Nite and hogs the remote so I usually try to watch @10 my time). I'm hearing impaired and watch with captions–a real godsend!!

Did you all see Blago jogging in the snow? LOL who actually does that? I think he's about lost his mind. While watching his press conference I thought he was kind of fidgety, and antsy.

2009 is beginning to be a strange year!!

January 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  37. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Happy Friday to you Erica! I'll bet with your new gig you don't get much sleep!

January 9, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  38. Eugenia

Mike – Syracuse

Ok – 4-5 years to begin to recover

January 9, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  39. Linda Wyngaarden

My husband and I are in our early 70's. We are financially secure with no debt at all. We are living very nicely on our Social Security and pensions and have 90% of our savings in IRA's. But our IRA savings is shrinking by the minute. We started out with $400,000 and it's now at $285,000. My question is: when you say not to panic just wait – are you talking about 30 to 50 year olds or would retired be better cashing in at least 1/2 of our IRA's for our unknown future. Thank you, Linda

January 9, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  40. Lisa

You look great today!

January 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am so thrill for congress in the house already voted impeached Blago, I saw CNN this afternoon!!!! I am so relieved see that!

January 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  42. Mike, Syracuse NY

Congress needs to revoke the legislation that forced banks to make mortgage loans to those who were poor credit risks. That started all this.

January 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  43. Linda

So glad to see David back, I am a Gergen groupie.
    I agree the Gov is INSANE, I feel sorry for his wife who has to put up with this differently mental defecit man. He was unreal on his press conference.

January 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  44. Ray

i wonder.....
    what does the future bring........
    what if our economists, etc are wrong.

is something else inevitable?

January 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Pati Mc

@Heather – Spokane WA – I totally agree. Maybe Sarah Palin can give him a job in Alaska? Ha ha ha ha....

January 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  46. Chris Mayes / Norman Oklahoma

Anderson,

The numbers are tough no doubt. But attitude is more important than ever. Yes we need to save money, yes we need to stay on top of our bills.
    I own a car dealership in Norman Oklahoma and our business is doing great. We sell new and pre-owned cars and trucks. Americans need to hear the good as much as the bad. I quit watching the news 4 weeks ago and decided to work harder and make a difference. Tonight I turn on your program and bad news.. Yes it's bad but we
    will get through this as a country. We will survive. Why don't you at least have one good story per night about the economy? Maybe you can make a differnce in bringing back confidence!!!

Chris Mayes

January 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Ernie Avergonzado Appleton

I've been contributing to my 401K. Company announced they will not be matching contributions for 2009. Can I move that 401K into something else, like a IRA?

January 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  48. Lori from IL

".... and Elvis has left the building."

Anderson, the people of Illinois can only hope...left the state would be better for us.

This man is truly crazy (not stupid) and seems to get crazier by the day if that's possible. If you threw out the Fitzgerald report, there was still enough to impeach him. People of IL have been fed up with his actions for a long time. Fitzgerald's actions just brought it all to a head (put it in the national spotlight) and forced the IL legislature to finally take action.

Not sure if Burris is guilty of anything, but he's clearly not the choice of the people of IL. He lost the senate election when he ran several years ago.

January 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Ken in NC

David is right on the SPOT as usual about the Demos and Repubs. Problem is that they have to work together and time is not on their side for them to BS around. While they fiddle Rome is burning.

January 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  50. John Senra, MA

Congress is starting to play their old games with President Elect Obama's economic plan. Everyone should call their Representative and Senator and demand that they pass this economic package and have it on his desk by the end of the day on January 20th.

January 9, 2009 at 10:26 pm |