January 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/9/09

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Paolo

One thing is clear about Obama's relationship with the strengthened-Democratic congress: they won't give the incoming Democratic president a blank cheque.

January 9, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Lauren--NY

Happy Friday, Erica! 🙂

January 9, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Everyone in Illinois politics seems to be corrupt; it seems rather curious that Obama could rise up in that type of atmosphere without being tainted in some way.

January 9, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  4. kim-chicago

Blagojevich even transcends Chicago politics...

When he brought those people on stage and then in your words decided to "busta rhyme" it was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Unfortunately he seems to be savoring in his new found fame.

January 9, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Susan Gean

Dear Suze,
    If you have a lot of credit card debt and you lose your job, can your creditors go after your retirement accounts?

January 9, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  6. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Ah, more great insight from Gergen. It's like the cherry on top of the AC sundae. (Forgive me, it's Friday)

January 9, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  7. John Bergquist Newtown, CT

Happy Friday, Erica!

January 9, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  8. SHAZIA

Hi Suzie:

I am working in a company that has gone the ENRON way in last couple of days. I had my medical health insurance in suspension for last 24 hours while company is reassuring the continuity of health benefits and is in discussion with the health care provider.

While i am in the 3rd trimester of HIGH RISK pregnancy, What are the options for me in this situation regards to my HEALTH CARE issue for now?

January 9, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  9. vincent

hi Abderson, your not old (yet)...does anyone think that the banks should be accountable for the tax money that they took and now won't tell anyone what they did with it?? further, they now think that the bad mortgage debt should be paid with remaining funds.

when the bailouts started, God forgive me, my 1st thought was Bush's last act is to raid the treasury.

Blago over the top and Illinois should be over him quick, so the rest of us can get over him too.

January 9, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  10. Rachael,Va

Anderson, defently don't have anything nice to say about Blago,which I don't blame you.
    Blago is just crazy, and I believe he think he can get away with anything because he is a senator and think he going to get away with this.
    He need to resign, because no matter what he does he will not get back the trust of the citizens of Illinois.

January 9, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  11. Tara-Round Lake, NY

Hi Anderson & Erica,

Gaza/Israel conflict: Allah, Yahweh, God, Mohammed, Moses, Jesus, they would not be happy with this conflict. Their messages and stories of peace and love need to be re-visited.

Americans- we need to pray, especially for innocent civilians on both sides of this conflict.

January 9, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  12. marge

Anderson, you are NOT getting old!! and welcome home. I am sure its what you saw on yolur travel that makes you feel like you are getting old, and well I hope a weekend off for you will help you re charge
    you ARE NOT OLD
    I am ~winks~

January 9, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  13. Trish

Susie- Explain exactly how I would start saving using the "Save Yourself".com .

January 9, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  14. Heather - Spokane, WA

Im tired of seeing Blagojevich and his hair! Cant they just impeach him now and get it over with so we dont have to see him anymore?

January 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  15. sean

I have heard about this 350billoin one too many times as a public school principal if I could not account for $500.00 I would be under investigation. This is the shame of a once great nation. I have begun to think that the time to rethink the direction our nation is taking has come. The people need to wake up speake up stand up before it is too late.

January 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  16. Pati Mc

Honestly, I do not know whether to laugh or cry over Blago.

I mean it is hilarious they way he conducted himself today. But it is not nice to laugh at someone who is so obviously mentally ill.

Nope, I choose to laugh. Can't help myself. And there ya go/ David Gergen just called him nuts. I rest my case.

January 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  17. LisaL -Canada

you're not old.

the look on the guy's face in the background, when Blago started quoting Tennyson is priceless!

January 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  18. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Happy Friday.
    Blagojevich has seemed unwilling to accept the seriousness of the charges against him–he diverts attention from the issues instead. Even thinking he wasn't guilty, I don't see why he hasn't directly addressed the reasons for impeachment.

January 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  19. Joel Richter

Evening Anderson and welcome back.

It just makes me sick to live in Illinois right now. This Governor is such a joke. The way the Media here locally already has him pretty much out of office. I am not sure why the Senate is even doing this formal impeachment since we already know what the outcome is going to be the Senate can't wait to get him out of office in their minds he is GONE!!!!! I am not even sure anymore he is going to get a fair hearing. Added to Dick Durbin is holding up Burris as a Senator let the poor man Sit down, They are going to make this state look a lot worse down the road.

January 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  20. Ken Humphreys

Suzie:

I strongly support personal financial responsibility and do agree that a personal rainy day fund is critical–particularly if your job may be in jeapordy. However, for those that can afford their lifestyle, whatever it may be, they need to engage the economy and not withdraw to an overly conservative financial strategy out of fear. Spending is central to stimulating the economy and moving the U.S. out of its current depression.

Respectfully,

Ken Humphreys

January 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  21. Ray

Blago is nuts, but he did appoint the next Senator,
    he cant redeem himself, can he?

January 9, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  22. Pnina Friedman

Hi a
    I am 62 years old but don't say! xa xa

Well i am worried about the situation my only income is
    1500 dollars a month how will i live for the next 20 years?

i have some saving but for how long?

Nina

January 9, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  23. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Happy Friday Erica! I hope you have a great weekend.

January 9, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  24. Greg, Austin Tx

Maybe next time Blago will quote Dr Seuss. That should convince us that he's a good guy.

January 9, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Michelle!!!!
    Welcome to Blog Live tonight!!!!!!! Happy you have be here tonight!!

January 9, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  26. EJ (USA)

How do you save if you don’t even have a job?

I don't think Suze was talking about the unemployed folk.

January 9, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  27. Mike, Syracuse NY

Anderson, there is certainly a segment of the American public which IS that dumb.

January 9, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  28. leah

Maybe the treasury and the Bush administration don't want people to know where the money went until they are out of office...

January 9, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  29. Greg

For Suzie: We are constantly told to eliminate credit card debt. What if the interest on the debt is mostly at a rate of less than 5% apr?

January 9, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  30. shanley brown

If I stole a loaf of bread I would be dragged to jail and treated like trash, and yet, those of us who have worked hard all our lives have been robbed by greed of our retirements, these people, including our gov't are theives they should all be locked up.

January 9, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  31. Gisselle - Houston TX

Oh that Rod-Blog is so freaking out of his mind, he is incredibly sickening. I cannot believe he had the gull to use those people as prop. Like whatever I wouldn't want to be seen with a sicko like that...come on people, he is a scum bag! The dude is crazy, deranged, lunatic, insane, complete madness – and I agree with Joe Johns Blago is RIDICULOUS! I love poetry and he is insulting to poets and all types of poetry!

January 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  32. Joe

What type of weapons are being used in Gaza? Especially the air burst shells.

January 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  33. ericacnn

happy friday, bloggers

January 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Miki

Hello Anderson and All,

Anderson keep up the good work! Enjoy the show and your coverage of the topics. God Bless Barack Obama and his team. Can't imagine coming into office at a time like this. Truly daunting....let's hope there is some accountability and no misappropriation as we try to get back on track!

January 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Erica

This is for Suzie – – – I thought that President-Elect Obama's Stimulus Package is for people to start spending again to stimulate the economy. So why are you asking people not to spend? Don't you think it's easy for you to talk about emergency funds just because you already have made money? How about for people who are currently on a paycheck-to-paycheck basis?

January 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  36. Emma

Am I the only one who's confused by Blago's press conference? Maybe he forgot he's being impeached for trying to sell Obama's seat and not for working too hard.

January 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Ken in NC

BLAGO is a first class jerk. He has listened to himself for so long he actually believes his own lies.

January 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  38. Ben Friedman

What checks and balances can be put in place so that when the federal government gives individuals a tax rebate to stimulate the economy,
    state and local governments are constrained from increasing their taxes on individuals therein 'sucking the oxygen" out of the measure? Similarly, other public and private entities from increasing their charges, i.e., fueling the inflation rate for already existing goods and services - and increasing "profits" instead of promoting the hoped-for consumer driven economic expansion.

January 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  39. EJ (USA)

Anderson, sometimes the American public is that dumb.

January 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  40. John Bergquist Newtown, CT

Blogojevich has stooped to a new low by using these people as pawns in his PR scheme.

January 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  41. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

"And Elvis has left the building..." That about sums it up Cooper! That man is so crazy I am sure that they are going to bring him out next time in a straight jacket.

I'm waiting for him to come out and say: "Neither a borrow nor a lender be..." and just leave the podium.

January 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Amanda

You are saying to not spend money but then you are telling us to buy your book. I am confused.

January 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Mike, I guess Obama and the Democrats didn't count on the current rate of inflation when they "designed" their economic plan.

January 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  44. joseph A White

I am 57 y.o. I am an employed nurse. No credit card debt, House mortage no problem, paid off my car, 8,000 in the bank . Changed my 403B to money account from stock when this first started for now and putting around 1000 in it each month. Did i do the right thing? what should I do if not the right thing

January 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  45. Maureen, Georgia

Blago is delushional and is ignoring why he's really in trouble, he's stating that criminal charges are brought against him for helping ordinary people. I think he's crazy and needs to be committed to a mental instituion.

January 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  46. Paolo

I frankly don't know how Blagojevich can say he has done nothing wrong when all the evidence points against him and the Illinois house virtually unanimous in voting to impeach him.

January 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  47. Susy Izique

Help the Economy:
    Lower mortgage rates: extra spending money
    Lower taxes: extra spending money
    Lower taxes for one income families, if you lower it enough to where it justifies one wage earner staying home that opens up a position for someone else. Lets not forget most of us would like to stay home and be with our children, but to make ends meet we need to hit the work force.

January 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  48. eddy sanchez

Anderson please volunteer somebody at cnn to find those 350billion dollars its aplaling to know that money its spend that way who is wacthing the wacthdog kind of thing and this pleople want to brush off a trion dollars defecit like dirt under the carpet !!!! when its going to end 350 billions more evaporate in to thin air please help us understand this insatiny

January 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  49. holly, overland park , ks

HAAAAAAAA @ Elvis has left the building

January 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  50. Butch

I've only tuned in for a moment, but had to come to the computer and comment on Suze's comments on saving an emergency fund. I am a contractor doing mostly remodeling and most of the people that I know were never able to have a 401k or have the money to save an emergency fund because we have all been living the "American Dream" working our butts off to have a roof over our head and providing a family life that keeps up with the Jone's. Keeping up with the Jone's is exactly what has gotten America in the shape that it is in which is (and I am guilty) living above our means.

January 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |