January 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/9/09

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Mike, Syracuse NY

If Blago gets impeached, and the LT Gov. takes over, can he revoke the appointment of Burris if Burris hasn't been sworn in yet?

January 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  2. Elisabeth Trang

How do you save if you don't even have a job?

January 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  3. Ron

Suzy according to what you say. If everyone starts saving all their money. The economy will only get worse with no spending and more people could lose their jobs.

January 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  4. Kathy, Chicago

OMG AC, we have the tainted new Senate seat and the crazy Gov from Ill. I even had someone call me to contribute to Al Franken's legal fund last night.

January 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  5. maureen

suzi ormans advice is no longer applicable . all of her theory depends on one very important contingent, that is you are actually earning enough money to live on...get real and stop pushing your books suzi, people dont have jobs, many dont earn enough to make ends meet, who are you talking to anyway???why dont you go investigate where the bailout went and go yell at those suits.

January 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  6. John Bergquist Newtown, CT

Blago's actions today are bizarre. But this is what we have come to expect from the embattled governor.

January 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  7. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

He'll leave us with a poem? That's not all he'll leave behind in his wake. I guess if you're going down, you grab a verse or two for a sermon.

January 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  8. Beth

How dare he defame my 5th great-grand-uncle! He was the Lord of Poets in England in his time! That's my family he's disrespecting!!

January 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  9. Deborah

I am a self employed artist and have been for the past 15 years. Do I qualify for any unemployment? I did work for a big company for 13 years intge 70's and 80's and paid in to unemployment then. Thanks

January 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  10. sherrill

dear suze, thank you for your great advice. Yesterday, you mentioned an online savings plan that could give 15% a year if you invested $100 a month for a year. What was that plan again?

Thank you!

January 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  11. Susan Johnston

Suzi
    How in the world are we supose to save money when a loaf of bread costs $5.00. Why havent the price of goods gone down since gas prices went down.

I owned my own business and had to close the doors in August am still looking ofr work.
    we have over 10,000 in credit card deblt and we have 5 house paymetns. Our renters are moving out to buy a house in forclosure
    I give up..... we have great credit , I have been trying to work with the banks re mortgae modification, they do not respond in a timely matter.
    I give up

January 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  12. Elizabeth Mathew,Ga

You know you look fine Mr.Cooper....need a little pick up eh?so you knew where to get it from....we the bloggers!
    I missed yesterdays blog with David Gergen..he is so sweet!!!

January 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  13. renee, nashville, tn

ok, some one has to have accountants that have some paper trail of where the money went. In response to Susie, I and my family have no credit cards, daughters in college and also pay for our health care, we live pay check to paycheck , it is unrealistic to even imagin having savings for 6-8months.

January 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  14. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

Happy Friday Anderson And Erica

I.m new to the live blog tonight i just wanted to comment on the economy and job loss I am curently in the maufacturing induistry at JohnDeere's plant in onatrio and it's closing 800 jobs are going t o be lost .Please make metion of this awarnes to the bad times hree in Canada as well .Anderson you look pretty good for being jet lagged
    Have a great weekend !

January 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Ashley – Hamlin, NY January 9th, 2009 10:05 pm ET

Just think of how exhausted Nic Robertson must be Cooper!

Yes, Ashley in NY...
    he is so tired all day from Israel..... he is best reporter in the world!!! I agree with you, He is so exhausted as Cooper did!

January 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  16. Ondine Irving

Hi Suzy-

With housing valuesl15-25% lower than one year ago, how can we expect to take advantage of the low refinance rates if the home is no longer worth what the refinance amount would be? Do we have any options?

Thank you!

Ondine

January 9, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  17. leah

Obama is going to bring oversight, accountability, and reasonable regulations to Washington and Wall Street. That is going to be his biggest fight with Republicans and might be as important as his recovery package to the future.

January 9, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  18. shirley crawford

Suzy,

Sure it easy to talk about saving money for a emergency, but the last few year everyday seems to be a emergency. The average tax payer pays for what is decided in Washington. So here we are in this mess.

I voted for obama and I would do it all over again. We should be standing with him and ride this out.

January 9, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  19. Ray

I think the best thing about Obama is his wife and his motherinlaw.
    They have alot of dignity and are very empathetic. I wish Obama was more like them.

January 9, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  20. Pati Mc

Oh Anderson! Dead Poets Society is one of my favorite movies of all time. Well said! BTW I believe the answer is Tennyson?

What do I win?

January 9, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  21. Jana, Indiana

What if you feel your job is pretty safe, but you still have trouble saving, other than through your 401K?

January 9, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  22. Brandon - Crazy Canadian

America needs to wake up , Thats right wake up people

this is a generated crisis by the evil powers to be. like in the 20's when the rich bankers called in the margin loans when and took peoples land.

January 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  23. Melvin

If people can accept president Bush to spend billions of dollars in Iraq and allow other billions to be given to his associates in the name of ballout, what's wrong with putting some money in our economy with the new administration?

January 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  24. Pamina

Is the Governor serious? He was working for the people? Wow, that is just surreal!

January 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  25. Dulcie - Denver

I'm very fortunate – I got hired as a City Treasurer the week before Christmas. But I plan on banking just as much of my paycheck as possible. I have to catch up on some bill, but other than that, there will be no 'splurges' from me.

It's also really strange to be a City Treasurer right now. Lots and lots of decisions to make.

January 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  26. Heather - Spokane, WA

Why again are we paying for banks and irresponsible CEO's to get out of their own troubles? I think this is costing us more than its helping us.

January 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Sarah

Anderson, your still my favorite! Age isn't really that important.

January 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  28. Lauren--NY

I think Suze Orman makes a great point if people *do* have the extra money to put in a savings account and they're spending it on Starbucks–but what about the millions of people who are *literally* living paycheck to paycheck, as in they cannot put that money in a savings account because they need it for rent, groceries, heat, gas/bus fare? This idea that there should be eight months to a year's worth of savings put away is a pipe dream for a lot of people.

January 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  29. Frank Marino

Hi Anderson. If everyone with a job cuts back on spending as Suzy recommends, then the economy will even get worse! Challenge her on that!

January 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The only people making any money right now are people like Suze who are writing books about how to survive this bad economy.

January 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  31. Faye Brundage

Suzie... My company pays 3 percent on my monthly salary for my 401K,
    I am presently putting 15% into the 401K..... I am wondering if I should
    only be putting 6% and bank the other 9%...... Thanks

January 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  32. sandra donehue

Concerning the 1st bailout money – someone had to write the checks, transfer the money, etc. There is always a paper trail to follow where money is concerned, so don't tell me the government doesn't know where our tax payer money went. And as a United States Cititzen, I demand it be posted on the government website. I own and operate a small business that is struggling to stay alive right now and I too need help. Where's my bailout????????

January 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  33. EJ (USA)

Good question Mohammed. A question that I can relate to.

January 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  34. Stephanie

Anderson: Why is Suze telling everyone to NOT spend their money, when the message from other guests on your show and largely the American government, is to SPend to pump money into the economy (as a stimulus?) Mixed messages!

January 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  35. stacy Lewis

hello, it is a joy to watch Anderson and Erica it is truely a great show

January 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  36. peter McG

Anderson,
    Be tough on the trillion dollar plan and man.
    Look at the under lying dynamics and over facts.
    Anyone can dig themselves out of ditch with a trillion dollars.
    Also enough of the blame game – remember the dems have control of congress and when obama did vote he voted for things like the bailout etc
    Please look at and report all sides

January 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  37. Barry - San Francisco, CA

Question for Suze:

Citibank just RAISED the credit limit on my MasterCard from $6000 to $9000.

I put 98% of my spend on my Amex and pay in full every month. My Citibank MasterCard is my "they don't take American Express" card. I typically put approximately $50 per month on the card and pay in full.

How will the extra unused available credit impact my FICO score? Should I call Citibank and say "no thanks, $6000 was enough?"

January 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  38. Vanessa- Silver Spring MD

I love Suze O. she is so passionate about what she does. She was so good on Oprah yesterday.

January 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  39. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Irony of 2009: The banks not being able to keep track of their money.

January 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  40. Darroll Triche, GA

Evening, they should have given the money to the American people. They would have paid houses off(help mortgages & banks), made purchases(help ecomony), paid off bills(help credit card co.) The rich get richer and poor suffers...

January 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  41. Mike, Syracuse NY

Since 2/3rds of our economy is driven by consumer spending, if we all cut back like Suzie says, won't that make the economy worse?

January 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  42. Vic-Waycross Georgia

why can't the 300+ billion be retroed back to the goverment under a lawsuit directed to the banks who cannot account for it??

January 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  43. Lucian, Temple University

Maybe I'm missing something, but why doesn't the government get involved more with companies who ship jobs over seas and "pressure" or force the to bring a majority of the jobs back in the U.S. Sure these billion dollar companies will loose some money, but wait the CEO's are already billionaires so who cares? This should surly bring back some jobs! And Impose penalties or farther taxes on those companies who oppose.

January 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  44. Ray

My q for Susie:

Wheres the best place to buy state municipal bonds, etc
    is this a good idea?

January 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  45. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I agree with Suze, but if we all stop spending won't that put millions more out of work twice as fast?

January 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  46. Lisa Collier

Well, Anderson, they say with age comes wisdom =)
    Then again I hear rumor that jet lag is non-discriminatory, young or old!

January 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Lori from IL

Okay - I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that no one knows what happened to the money.

I used to be treasurer at a local government entity. Being entrusted with taxpayer money, we had to be accountable to the penny. There were audits/reports at the local, state and federal level.

January 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  48. leah

PE Obama was excellent in answering questions about Congress people having objections about his plan by stating he welcomes their suggestions and that he knew it wasn't going to be easy. No matter how hard the media tries to create controversy they keep forgetting he is "no drama obama."

Having discussions and making suggestions is all part of democracy. America hasn't had much of that in years!

January 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

For Suze.....
    I wonder if How Suze feel about Bernie Madoff?

January 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  50. Rachael,Va

How is this stimulus plan going to help people who have social security? We don't qualify for income tax. People with social security are having just as much problem as people with regular jobs.

January 9, 2009 at 10:13 pm |