January 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/9/09

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson, Erica and all Bloggers. Glad it's Friday and it's sad about what is still going on in Israel and Gaza. I am beginning to tire of all this stuff. About ready to go up into the mountains and find me a cave and set up housekeeping.

To much war going on in this world. Hope something will change soon or we will self destruct this entire world. Maybe that is what we need to do and start over again with the hopes we will remember the lessons of this failed earth.

January 9, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  2. Pamina

It is just incredible to me that all that money was given to banks, and no one knows where the money is! Isn't that the whole problem?!?

January 9, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  3. nina, corvallis montana

2.6 million jobs lost . . . how many of them did the federal government donate? Let's get them to give up 7.2% of the federal government positions so they can live the reality of unemployment like the rest of us!

January 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  4. Mike, Syracuse NY

John Bergquist Newtown, CT January 9th, 2009 10:08 pm ET
    Lets hope partisan bickering will not hamper efforts to revive the economy.

John, It sounds like Obama is having a tougher time with his own party, than with Republicans.

January 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  5. holly, overland park , ks

Evening Anderson and fellow bloggers, these are scary times, one can only "tighten" your belt so far.
    Seems to me the bailout was a free check to most companys, as nothing has changed , in fact its gotten worse. looking forward to Suzie!

January 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  6. Vanessa- Silver Spring MD

B-Rod was so weird today at his press conference. With the props and citing poetry. Crazy!

January 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  7. Pati Mc

Oh man, Anderson, I was thinking the same thing about the money spent in Iraq. I would be more than happy to take some of that bailout money. And I am willing to work for it.

Most of the government and state jobs in my area are all unavailable due to hiring freezes. If the government wants to help the economy, how about lifting the freezes on these jobs and putting some of us back to work?

January 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  8. Paolo

Hi everyone! In the same way they gave the automakers a hard time, it's only fair Congress must be have more strings for the 2nd half of the TARP money.

January 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  9. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, everyone blogging. Anderson, I don't know anyone who wouldn't be jet lagged from that quick back and forth trip and a full week of work.

Nic Robertson's report shows how complex the situation in Gaza is. Israel is committed, has pushed into Gaza, this imperils civilians and leaves them exposed as Nic just noted in response to your question about Israelis going into towns Anderson. Cease fire needs to happen. They have to have faith in that.

I think, given what I heard from Elizabeth Warren today, Tony Harris intvw, that congress can get a handle on the rest of bailout, maybe even track what has flowed to banks already.

January 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  10. Mary

I must be older than dirt...I need a nap and only walked 3 feet from my bedroom to my office today! Don't know how you spend so much time on an airplane, my back would be killing me. Better rest up this next week cause it looks like they have you booked solid for the inauguration!

January 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  11. lee

Hope the Wolfbot's appearance on Ellen will be on!

January 9, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  12. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

You have to laugh Cooper. If you cry then you'll just go insane....

Although the fact that the government keeps losing all this money is infuriating. What if we, as individual Americans, were that irresponsible with our money?

January 9, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Being unemployed and hearing Candy’s report is not making me feel very well at all. Yikes. Everyone think happy thoughts, please.

Pati,
    I agree with you!!!! that is so bad news for people have laid off too.... I don't want hear about unemployment. 🙁

January 9, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  14. Sarah Atlanta, GA

Anderson, you're not old. Anyone would be jet lagged from all that. Get some rest this weekend.

January 9, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  15. Kathy, Chicago

Accountability is a great thing. I would love to help people if I knew the money was really going to the right place.

January 9, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  16. Gisselle - Houston TX

yeah congress where is our money? Where is our bailout?

January 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  17. Jana, Indiana

I can't believe nobody asked where all this money was paid out to! Anderson, you are right, it is unbelieveable!

January 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Anthony Allentown PA

Anderson, I'm going on a 1 week government study next week from NYC to Paris on how to over come jet lagged . I'll let you know how it turns out.

January 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  19. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening! And you're hardly "old." I still can't get myself synced, and I have yet to hit twenty. Hopefully you can take the weekend to re-sync.

I look forward to hearing the details of Obama's bailout plan, which have been rather elusive to date.

January 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Vanessa- Silver Spring MD

Hey all. I haven't blogged in like forever! I know Ashley-Hamlin, NY, I bet Nic is exhausted. I love the way he says missles.

January 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  21. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    No wounder you get jet lagged as a woldtraveler for finding the truth last week,you did a verry good job.Thank you!
    I wish you a verry peacful weekend,enjoy the silent.
    Take some rest.

January 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  22. John Bergquist Newtown, CT

Lets hope partisan bickering will not hamper efforts to revive the economy.

January 9, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Ray

Governor Blago of Illinois confuses me.
    His poetry is nice and he seems like an interesting character. or is the word caricature!

What has he done?
    Why doenst the media say?
    Why wont that Fitzgerald guy say his crime and explain it so regular people can understand.
    I know Fitzgerald told everyone Blago is a criminal, but what did he do again?

Maybe Blago is a criminal, I dont know.
    But his poetry is nice and his recitation is good.
    His choice of poets is nice.
    I wonder if Blago will quote from Kilmer and that group.
    That would be interesting if he knows about that.
    He sure is interesting.
    Maybe he can quote from American poets also!

January 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  24. John Bergquist Newtown, CT

The news about the economy continues to be extremely troubling. The new administration and Congress need to do something dramatic to put the brakes on the economic free-fall. The sooner this happens, the better.

January 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  25. leah

So now Israel is accusing the UN relief workers of lieing? Their answer to every allegation is "We are investigating". However, journalists should be allowed in to do an objective investigation.

January 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

What doesn't need immiedate action? We are engaged in two wars, Israel and Hamas are trying to destroy each other, extreme poverty is a major issue, our own citizens are jobless and bankrupt....

January 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Heather - Spokane, WA

Its really sad that two people cant come to a peaceful resolution to stop a war, but I guess you can only plea so much before either will listen, especially when there are so many people in the middle of it and so many deaths resulting from it.

January 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Mike, Syracuse NY

Eugenia January 9th, 2009 10:02 pm ET
    01-09-2009
    1929 – it’s here again and last time it took 4-5 years to recover

It took more than that. Full recovery took until WWII started for us in 1941. That's 12 years!

January 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Pati Mc

Being unemployed and hearing Candy's report is not making me feel very well at all. Yikes. Everyone think happy thoughts, please.

January 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Lori from IL

Happy Friday, Anderson and Fellow Bloggers!

Anderson - They say you're only as old as you feel – hopefully, you'll get some rest this weekend and feel a lot younger on Monday.

Sad news out of Gaza. My thoughts and prayers for all in the region.

January 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

And I am not that old, I just jetlagged to fly to Hawaii 2 month ago!

January 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Dorothy-CA

No worries Anderson – lookin good to me – not even alittle bit old!

January 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Maureen T

Good evening Anderson! It's Friday! Yahoo! You still look good jetlagged or not. How about sleeping the weekend away or is that not possible!? 🙂

January 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Kathy, Chicago

I knew I saw you AC! Wolf i upped ya today when he danced on Ellen!

January 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Just think of how exhausted Nic Robertson must be Cooper!

January 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  36. John Bergquist Newtown, CT

Israel is clearly not taking the care it should to avoid civilian casualties.

January 9, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  37. wafa

hi everyone
    if hamas ingnored the un its because it wasnt even envolved thats not right you have to include all sides for it to work

January 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Eugenia

Alright big boy, we saw Wolf dancing (which was flipping adorable) it’s your turn!

January 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  39. jorge

tgif, you are young as me, i am 36, Anderson sleep tigth.

January 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Anderson, we're all getting older by the minute..The daily news is enough to wither away a vibrant brain into a flatline of fatigue..

January 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Eugenia

01-09-2009
    1929 – it’s here again and last time it took 4-5 years to recover
    How can these analysts state that we will recover sooner?

Numbers are very important, people should slow down and pay attention.

January 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Pati Mc

Good Evening Anderson,

Welcome to the club. We are all getting old. 😉 You look fine, no worries.

January 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Dulcie - Denver

Well, it doesn't show, Anderson.

January 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Lauren--NY

Oh, you are not old! It's a seven hour difference, for Pete's sake–anybody would still be jet-lagged. Quit fishing for compliments, mister; we can see right through it! 😉

January 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Aww Cooper – you don't look a bit jet lagged. I came back from New Orleans a bit ago and I thought THAT was an exhausting flight. I can't imagine from Israel!

Oh, and happy Friday!

January 9, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hello Anderson, Erica and best bloggers!!!
    Anderson ,
    I hope you will enjoy teip to Israel this weekend!!!!! Please get rest and nap!!!!!!!

January 9, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Jana, Indiana

Good evening Anderson. Anyone that would make that quick a trip to Israel and back, would be worn out. Maybe you can get some rest this weekend.

January 9, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. EJ (USA)

Well Anderson, at least you look a lot better than you did when you were reporting from Israel.

January 9, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Heather - Spokane, WA

Good evening Anderson and everyone. Anderson, hope you have the weekend off to relax and get over the jet lag. And you are not that old.

January 9, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. anderson cooper

evening everyone.. happy friday...im getting old, im still jet lagged from my brief trip to israel.

January 9, 2009 at 9:54 pm |