January 8th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/8/09

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Essabbar

terrorist groups keep using the Palestinain/Israeli issue to recruit more angry "Muslims" to attak the US because of its endless support for Israel.

January 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Good to have you back Gergen! We all missed your eloquent (and lengthy 😉 ) posts! I personally believe that Dr. Gupta has a remarkable resume. We should find you a post too! Anything you have your eye on?

January 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Bea

In some ways you can draw parallels between that rioting and what Israel is or Hamas (pick your side) are doing in Gaza. If you defend the latter, guess you have to understand the former.

January 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  4. deborah s., oh

You are absolutely correct, EJ! The Travolta family should be left alone to handle their enormous loss in private. It's a horrible tradgedy when children die, but it does happen every day, & celebrities need their privacy too.

January 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Mindy

I can't believe it! Now Tom Cruise has to get into the act and start defending Scientology. Now this program has another excuse to continue to report on the death of Jett Travolta.

I have made my plea that the media, including this show, let this family grieve in peace. Just because Tom Cruise decides to shoot off his mouth again and make this more of an issue than it ever was, is not an excuse to cover a non event. Let it go.

January 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  6. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Carolyn Jones, My duaghter is a police officer, and she was tested and well as received extensive training on when and how to esculate force as needed. Most cops ARE NOT cowards, or out for power. They are true public servants trying to do a tough job.

January 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  7. Pati Mc

Now Israel is bombing the aid convoys into Gaza? Did I hear Christiane correctly? That is just insane. This is so going from bad to worse. It is stunningly sad.

January 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  8. Bonnie

How do you accidentally shoot your gun thinking it's your tazor?

January 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

It is a horrible thing that happened and that an unarmed man lost his life and I’m sure the family will win an wrongful death suit. But responding with riots doesn’t bring that man back.

Yes! I agree with you...... that is so distrub to me that I am so mad at police mistook gun instead taser unarm black man! he will be charged or not.

January 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  10. Jesse A. Segovia III, Lubbock, Texas

How can you not tell the differance between a gun and a Taser. You can see in the Video that the Cop looks down at his holster when he reaches for "his gun".

January 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  11. bob

c'mon anderson, Israel would never hurt civilians or leave them to die.

January 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  12. Brandi - bottom of the boot

so sad that the humanitarian aid is not able to get to those that need it.

January 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  13. Maria, Texas

David,
    My friends and I all felt like a part of our family was chosen when we heard about Dr. Gupta. This is great news, please tell him that the Univ. of Houston gang 12 are rooting for him.

January 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  14. CurtisJo

Thank you David Gergen. Everett Koop is the only Surgeon General I can recall in my lifetime that I felt was effective. I think the ability for the Surgeon General to communicate effectively with consumers is maybe the most important part of the job. I have always believed the Surgeon General should have a much higher profile with the American public.

January 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  15. Imani from Maryland

I know it should be a given but are those officers suspended?...we can assume nothing these days

January 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  16. John Bergquist Newtown, CT

I agree, David. Not only does Sanjay seem like a capable physician but also an excellent communicator as can be seen by his appearances on CNN.

January 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  17. Sheila Allen

I think Obama has obtained the best plan for a start. He has

January 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  18. Maureen T

The rioting is not the way to solve this problem! The police need to be accountable for what happened to that young man. I mean they shot him and he wasn't armed, right??

January 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  19. MaryBeth

Why did we abstain from the UN vote?

January 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  20. Bea

Ah please. If you felt your community was under siege you would riot too.

January 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  21. Pati Mc

David, I wholeheartedly agree with your kind and just comments about Dr. Sanjay. What ain insightful choice Obama has made. I certainly hope that Dr. Gupta accepts. We need him!

January 8, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  22. Kwasi Opuni Afriyie, Toronto Canada

Yes the Hamas has brought what is happening upon themselves. This is Israel's answer to the ongoing war. Can any one tell me what United Nations' Resolutions the state of Israel has abided to.

January 8, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  23. deborah s., oh

Thank you, Lori. I have never understood 'rioting' either. What is to be gained from it?

January 8, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  24. EJ (USA)

Shouldn’t everyone just leave the Travolta family alone and let the Grieve in Peace…

Famous people are never going to be left alone – ever. That's just how it is.

I think most people have offered support & condolences though.

I just don't think its realistic to think that someone as famous as John Travolta is not going to be covered after such a tragedy. Then this wouldn't be America!

January 8, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  25. Ken in NC

The shooting in the sub way station was so senseless and wrong even if accidental but the riots do not make it all right. This is not the way to do it. All the destruction taking palce there now is hurting innocent people that had nothing to do with the shooting.

January 8, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  26. LisaL -Canada

anderson – glad you are back safe.

madoff's actions are so far-reaching – it's all relative, isn't it – a rich man's pain and anguish can be just as great as a poor man's pain and anguish

and i don't know what i'd do without a periodic "palin-pop" !!

January 8, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  27. CAROLYN JONES

Police officers should be made to take a series of test on why they want to become a peacekeeper and made to take lie detector like the fed. secret serice. to see what type of hate they have and against whom. most are cowards if they did'nt have a gun and the authority to kill and get away with it. they would do a better job.

January 8, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  28. Dorothy-CA

Come on – the officer didn't know the difference between his tazer and a gun! That is just horrible and I hope the officer pays for it big time.

January 8, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  29. xtina, chicago IL

I second BRUCE IN NY's comments. I'll take the tax cut or rebate, but Im not going to buy something; won't most people pay off debts?

January 8, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  30. Peter M

I admit that peace is needed in Gaza area but to negotiate with the terrorists Hamas is insane. Hamas must first recognize Israel and denounce terrorism. Only then will any insane government commit a truce with hamas

January 8, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Candace from Canada

That video is soo disturbing.

Riots are also not the way for the community to get their 'justice' .

January 8, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  32. Rikki, Fargo, ND

It is a horrible thing that happened and that an unarmed man lost his life and I'm sure the family will win an wrongful death suit. But responding with riots doesn't bring that man back.

January 8, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Erica,
    I agree with you!!!

January 8, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  34. L Griffiths Australia

Why do all Scientology roads lead to Tom Cruise?
    Why more Sarah Palin?
    why why why?

January 8, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  35. Pati Mc

Hello Erica. Yes, it is the best day ever....The Gerg is back in the house. Andy rocks too. (both Andy's – LOL).

January 8, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  36. Minou, New York City

Welcome back Mr Gergen! Hope you had a wonderful vacation.

January 8, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  37. deborah s., oh

Hi Erica! And, yes, I can always understand what Andy is saying also.

So, another peace agreement for the conflict in the Middle East–pray for a miracle.

January 8, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Minou, Men define themselves by their bank accounts for the same reason women define themselves by their beauty, because one attracts the other.

January 8, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  39. CurtisJo

At this point, where only hearing veiled references to the role that the practice of Scientology might have played in the death of the Travolta's son. I want to know the facts.

January 8, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  40. Ted (New Jersey)

We struggle paying our mortgage, utilities, car payments, credit cards and the like, so how do we get on the list for a government bailout, we need a probable $290,000 and I can then spend at will to help our national economy ! Love your show.

January 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  41. Jeff

The Israel and hamas war will never end as long as hamas wants Israel wiped off the map. It's not about territory etc., it's about iran and hamas wanting Israel destroyed!

January 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  42. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Great to be back with the AC 360 team and to me, all of you are part of that team. Your comments are an important part of the conversation that Anderson opens every night.

And I am delighted that so many of you support Sanjay Gupta to be Surgeon General. I have known a number of the SGs of recent years, and the best of the lot was Everett Koop because he served as "the nation's doctor". In that role, he did a lot to help combat HIV-AIDs and this was during the Reagan years. Sanjay has all the credentials to be a young, dynamic "nation's doctor" - he knows the field of medicine very well (he's a neurosurgeon), he can break down and explain complicated facts in ways that everyone can understand, and he has a huge amount of credibility. Who better than Sanjay, for example, to lead a crusade against obesity among the young?

January 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Lori from IL

While I understand non-violent protests and am thankful I live in a country that allows it, I have never understood rioting. What do these people hope to prove?

January 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  44. Clarence Albuquerque

AC, I don't think the Technical difficulties could have come at a better time.... the Raw Video showed the un rehearsed response of citizens.

January 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Ken in NC

Yes Erica it is great to have David and you and Anderson all back safe and sound.

January 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Jesse A. Segovia III, Lubbock, Texas

Shouldn't everyone just leave the Travolta family alone and let the Grieve in Peace...

January 8, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  47. MaryBeth

An accidental shooting? how is it accidental when the kid is shot point blank? You can clearly see the cop pull his gun and shoot...there's no "accidentally" about it.

January 8, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  48. Candace from Canada

So sad that people are taking their lives over the Madoff Ponzi scheme.
    Greed corrupts everything it touches.

January 8, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  49. Samaria - Maryland

"Oh, no! I have only $600 million left out of my previous $12 billion. This is a nightmare straight from hell; whatever will I do?" I dunno, maybe look around and thank God you're not on the street like so many hardworking folks who will earn far less in their entire lifetimes. *sigh* I pity the filthy rich man sometimes. Commiting suicide because your so much of money is gone? At least you have lifetimes' worth of cash left!

January 8, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  50. Chris, Bay Area, CA

It's pretty bad in Oakland with the riots. The news is reporting that the cop was reaching for his tazer, but regardless a defenseless man was killed. (BTW, they arrested the alleged killer of Chauncy Bailey, so at least they did one thing right.)

January 8, 2009 at 10:31 pm |