January 8th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/8/09

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Bob frm WI

Mr. Obamas Economic plan is destined for failure. This is another missgi\uided attempt to stimulate and economy from all of the wrong directions. It must come from the consumer, up the food chain. 7 trillion into the banking system from the top down has failed. So has the 168 billion dollar package to the consumer. Pump a trillion directly to the consumer, equating to a check for 65oo or so for erveryone under 150k annual income. and you will get people caught up on mortgages, stop forclosures, build banking reserves, increase consumer confidence and restore credit markets. oh ya, you also stabilize the housing market.

too easy a solution for a polition to accept.

January 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  2. xtina, chicago IL

Alicia has a point. What would happen if tomorrow we stopped foreign aid?

January 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  3. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I sincerely hope that Dr. Gupta receives the position. I already trust the man and think he would make an excellent addition to the team.

January 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  4. Maureen T

Anderson,
    there's obviously a double standard when it comes to Bernie Madoff. Apparently only he can make off with all that money and still be living in his fancy Manhattan apartment! Where is the justice there??

January 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  5. CurtisJo

I truly believe we haven't hit bottom and their is more (maybe a bigger) storm to come, before the economic calm.

January 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  6. Bea

db said: ...The Governement should consider going back to the day when all interest including credit card and car loan interest could be written off when you file your taxes. ....

@db: hey! I don't want to pay the interest of folks who ran up debt irresponsibly! Let them get rid of some assets to pay it! It is still true that the majority of folks did not misuse their credit.

January 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  7. holly, overland park , ks

Id like to see large energy{ahem, oil} companys perhaps pay a tax specifically designed for looking for alternative energy sources, and perhaps large drug companys pay a specific tax for a national health care, it would end up proffiting them in the end. welcome back DAVID! { and we are all rooting for Dr, Sanjay}

January 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  8. Howard Corbett, Winnipeg Canada

Israel has to be able to protect themselves. Since when is it right to let an enemy constantly bomb you just because they hide behind women and children.
    Why doesn't the media blame Hamas for all the killing in . How else can they be stopped?

January 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  9. niwat, Chicago

Hi Anderson and AC360 team,

My mother is very excited about P-E Obama's inauguration. Well she lives in Bangkok, to hear she says that she anticipates good economic fortune under Obama's presidency is a great sign.

Point well-put, David Gensen, one fo the issuse that P-E Obama put his emphasize even before he assumes his office is to fix the economy which I think it's a domestic prority.

January 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  10. Jeff

The stimulus package will not work! What will it stimulate?

January 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  11. David Neutzler

Please bring back the program. The security council debate of the cease fire proposal isn't "breaking news."

January 8, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  12. MARIO GONZALEZ

The goverment should cut the property taxes, that could help.

January 8, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  13. Paige

Palin has a brains problem – not a class problem people didnt seem to mind her lack of "class" just her obvious lack of classes

January 8, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Minou, New York City

I don't envy Dr Gupta, he's got a difficult decision to make.

January 8, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Clarence Albuquerque

If Bernie Maddof wants to feel safe from any angry public, I think the safest place would be in jail.

January 8, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  16. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Who could possibly be against Dr. Gupta being the Surgeon General? He would be amazing at that or any job that he would take! And I can't believe Anderson brought up the Michael Moore vs. Sanjay Gupta issue...it still makes me shake my head...but then again I really don't like Michael Moore.

January 8, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  17. Kathy, Chicago

I hope Dr G is the Surgeon General. He will be awesome at the job. I thought with this election, no one needed experience.

January 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  18. Jennifer in NoVA

Hmm, Michael Moore or Sanjay Gupta... not even close!!! Good Luck Sanjay!

January 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Sometimes it is good to have a fresh pair of eyes looking at the situation. I am sure that Sanjay is more than qualified.

January 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  20. John Bergquist Newtown, CT

Sanjay Gupta will make a fabulous Surgeon General but I will miss him on CNN.

January 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  21. Matt

Lizzi .... what if Longview, texas was being bombarded from Mexico with over 4,000 rockets in the past year .... Hearing 4,000 sirens in the past year giving you 15 seconds to hide yourself and your children or potentially get struck from flying sharpnels.... it would make you absolutely paranoid, afraid and depressed. Do you have any idea what the israelis go through? how can they stop it peacefully?? The problem is that they can't!!!

January 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  22. carl - new city, new york

The people of Gaza VOTED Hammas as their government body knowing the agenda of Hammas. Isreael MUST defend itself. When do you hold people accoutable for their actions instead of pointing fingers. The solution is simply, Hammas MUST stop attacking and killing, periord. Then there can be a start for a peaceful solution.

January 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  23. Ryan

i like dr, gupta!
    i hope he doesnt ruin his career by taking the job!!!!

January 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  24. Lori from IL

Oh, how I've missed David Gergen sharing his wisdom. Glad you are back on the program tonight.

January 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  25. jorge A.

no so bad they get aresolution now. its so good un can find a solution, welcome david gergen and your good comments.

January 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  26. MaryBeth

How could Gupta not have enough experience? He is so involved in what is going on in the country, health/wellness-wise....he could do so much as Surgeon General.

January 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  27. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Wow Daisy, that's quite possibly the coldest thing I've ever read. They're children. They have no say where they are born or how they live. They are innocence. There is no excuse for their death. It's disgusting.

January 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  28. Jeff

I support Israel and the fight against the terrorist group hamas. The Palestinian's need to stand up and fight!

January 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  29. percy

I for one could use the tax cut.

January 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  30. leah

Unfortunately America is the one holding up the cease fire and we were the ones who went to war with Iraq when the UN was against it.

January 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  31. john c, los angeles

first stop the rockets launches into isreal then peace can be demanded. the united states would require same.

January 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  32. Alicia Myers

Our government needs to stop spending money overseas. Stimulate our economy by improving OUR lives. Reduce overhead. Everyday Obama announces another head appointment. Consolidate some of those offices.

January 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  33. Candace from Canada

I think Dr. Gupta would be a great Surgeon General!

January 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  34. db

Today you can write off home loan interest. The Governement should consider going back to the day when all interest including credit card and car loan interest could be written off when you file your taxes. That would give the tax break to the consumer instead of the bank.

January 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  35. Cherise` from Gburg, PA

Yay the Gergenator is back!!
    sorry Mr. Cooper but we need a Gergenator 360....he always makes so much sense....
    Btw... why are they hatin on our Sanjay Gupta???

January 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  36. Imani from Maryland

Anonymous Joe: I wish it could but this has essential been going on for so long that if it were going to work its self out it would have by now.

January 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  37. Clarence Albuquerque

You pay for all that is proposed by writing a check.... where is any of this money coming from?

January 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  38. Shandle Green

Personally, I think the way out of this mess is the way in. They need to very deliberately reset mortgages to reflect realistic values. Let's face it people are paying for the roof over their head first – and it's costing too much right now.

January 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  39. Rose

Unfortunately I was at work today when the speech was shown on tv. I really wish I had been here to see what he had to say. Especially since by 2:30 I was called into the office and was told I was being laid of for an indefintie time. Is there a place where I can see just what his proposals were today. I really need to know what he has in store for me and my family and others especially in light of my recent situation.
    I worked in a factory which is directly afected by housing it makes windows. I live in arural area and there are few things to do and no real future doing anything else. We are also losing one of the two grocery stores and one hardware store in the next 3 months they are being closed so things are not good. Any help as to where I can read what his plans were I would appreciate it.

January 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  40. John Bergquist Newtown, CT

Something major needs to be done to invigorate the economy. We should not be concerned with the deficit at this moment in time.

January 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  41. Bea

Lord, just think. We had a huge surplus when Clinton left office.

January 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  42. Ryan

where will the trillion dollars come from?
    china?
    we better respect china!
    china will own us? whatevah!

January 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  43. xtina, chicago IL

I wish people would focus on issues and not Sarah Palin's personality. She is a leader, not a politician; she actually gave money BACK to the people. Shouldn't all our leaders be doing what she's doing?

January 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Diana Howard

I love to watch your show and comments. I think David Gergen is the most level headed political ananlyst that I have heard. He does not show bias but looks at the facts and discusses them for in depth analysis. I also love all the rest of the show.

January 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Daisy21

If Anderson thinks it's odd that Republicans are speaking up against deficit spending now, does he think it's also odd that those who whined about deficit spending in the past are now all for it now that a Democrat has been elected?

January 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  46. leah

How can anyone who has driven over American roads and bridges say that rebuilding infrastructure is throwing away money?..or improving the grid, improving schools....let's just bury our heads in the sands and hope that like magic everything will get better!!

January 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  47. Mindy

@Mike Syracuse, NY –

Who gave you the idea that we are going to just throw money at the problem? If you listened to Obama's speech, that's not what he said, in fact he said precisely the opposite.

He wants specific conditions and accountability as to how and where this money is spent. It's not like he is asking Congress to just give him a blank check and let him start throwing money all over the place. That's ridiculous.

Every economic expert agrees that we need to spend our way out of this economic mess. Or would you prefer that we wait and do nothing and sink into another Great Depression?

January 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I think the country has waited long enough for the economy to right itself, now it needs some serious intervention.

January 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  49. beth

great work!

can you speak to what other arab nations are doing to assist the Palestinians during this humanitarian disaster? I am refering to those countries that are most vocal about the Palestinian issue as an explanation for some of their own anti-west policies. Are they providing humanitarian support or trying to gain global support for a ceasefire?

January 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  50. tonette

i really appreciate the way your pres.elect. acts early as possible to serve your country we from out of your world can see how ddcated he is but critics in your own country is killing that good cause he is trying to do.....something is wrong..

January 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |