January 8th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/8/09

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama is going to have a long wait if he is waiting for Hamas to denounce violence!

January 8, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  2. Cecilia C

Oh my!! They have apparently reached an agreement for a cease fire!! can this be true? I just saw it on cnn international

January 8, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  3. deborah s., oh

And the economy-my niece tells me Walgreen's is 'restructuring'. God only knows what that means.

January 8, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  4. Lizzi Davis, Longview, Texas

Ugh. This whole thing going on makes me sick. The Israelies say they have reasons, and so does Hamas, but their reasons mean nothing to me when they kill women, children, elderly, and overall anyone who can't fight for themselves. It's just not right, no matter how much people try to justify it.

January 8, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  5. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

xtina – both sides can be justified. There's never just one side or story of a conflict. Hamas was democratically elected...and only a handful of nations recognize it as a terrorist group. Also, look at death tolls numbers...and Israel isn't allowing ambulances to pick up the wounded. Both sides are trying to push into each other's boundaries.

January 8, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  6. CurtisJo

I agree with the sentiment that the focus should absolutely be to make certain not one more person loses their job relative to the inaction of our elected leaders. Our leaders do not care about us as much as they care about themselves which is morally criminal.

January 8, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  7. Maureen T

I heard that Macy's is closing the 11 stores. Makes you wonder which stores are next.

January 8, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  8. xtina, chicago IL

I propose giving the Amer. people back more of their taxes now. I think we as individuals can better decide how to spend it/donate it than those goofs in Congress

January 8, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  9. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Oh my goodness that was my Senator! Not very often you see a ND Senator being interviewed for anything.

This stimulus is not going to work. The last one didn't work and this will not either.

January 8, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  10. Martina

Why are the Democrats bad mouthing Obama's plan, no one else has one...they didnt say anything for eight years when Bush was running the show...now they are soooo vocal.

January 8, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  11. Perry

I want to ask him a question. How can one increase one's credit score (FICO) in the current depressing environment?

January 8, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  12. Jacqueline, NY

Greetings all!

Hey, Anders, you're back home! David and Candy are back. Yay! Welcome back all.

January 8, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  13. Bea

Obama is going to have to use the bully pulpit.

January 8, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  14. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

You'd think that the UN would be taking a more active role – especially considering some of their schools have been hit.

January 8, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  15. deborah s., oh

I'm sorry–still don't have that much faith in the un's ability to solve or help anything. I hope I'm wrong.

January 8, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  16. MaryBeth

How is Obama going to get it through Congress? All these Dems who supported him are now opposing him. Too bad he can’t force it through like FDR did during the Depression.

January 8, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

But will a cease fire come now from both sides?

Yes! I think it will be happen soon as possible cease fire 2 sides.

January 8, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  18. Mike, Syracuse NY

My concern isn't doing too little, it's just throwing money at it without careful thought where it needs to go.

January 8, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Today I heard that Macy's is closing 11 stores.

January 8, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  20. xtina, chicago IL

Can anyone justify Hamas' side? After all, they sponsor Islamic-fundamentalist terrorism. What am I missing?

January 8, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  21. Clarence Albuquerque

Prolonged misery... why didn't they just give one million to each citizen?

January 8, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  22. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good Evening Anderson, Erica and bloggers! Welcome back Mr. Gergen! Its great to have you back.

January 8, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  23. Dorothy-CA

Hi Anderson and Bloggers

Looking forward to hear more on Obama. I liked what I've heard him say so far today, but missed bits and pieces. Looking forward to hearing more. I'm sure looking foward to him coming into office!

January 8, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, The conflict seems to be escalating at an alarming rate. If anyone has any ideas they had better put politics aside and speak up now.

January 8, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  25. MaryBeth

I'm so glad David and Candy are back. Missed David's sound advice and insights.

January 8, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  26. EJ (USA)

I thought we saw Candy yesterday.

January 8, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  27. Bea

Hey Anderson, and everyone! Welcome back all!

January 8, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  28. leah

Once again Israel breaks a UN agreement that soldiers must give humanitarian aid to wounded civilians. Why didn't Israel first go to the United Nations and get France and Egypt involved before they started this war?

January 8, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  29. deborah s., oh

Good evening, Anderson.

It's really good to have Candy & David back, & Anderson home in one piece.

And, it does look like it's really getting dangerous in Gaza-it seems they are shooting rockets from everywhere!

January 8, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  30. Candace from Canada

Good Evening Anderson, Erica & Bloggers!

Welcome Back David Gergen! Happy New Year I hope you had a great vacation.

Lets hope this new year improves soon.

January 8, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  31. Kathy, Chicago

I met 2 women from Israel. We prayed for peace together.

January 8, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  32. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Ah, Gergen and Crowley are back – so some good news. I also enjoy their discussions, ideas, and thoughts.

January 8, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  33. Jana, Indiana

Good evening Anderson. Things really look bad in Israel and Gaza.

January 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  34. Dulcie - Denver

Excellent! I'm excited to see both David and Candy tonight.

News is still really scary all over. Thanks for keeping us updated

January 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson, Erica and best bloggers!!!!
    Ouch!!!! not day for me to see this 2 sides are now still war……… too hard to watch or to hear from Israel....... And Welcome back David and Candy!!!! we missed you!!!!

January 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  36. xtina, chicago IL

isn't the "stimulus plan" the same as "let's spend our way out of the recession"? Is that smart?

January 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Pati Mc

Hey Anderson,

Sounds like a great program tonite. David and Candy, welcome back!! You guys were missed, but we know for certain that you deserved your time off. Hey, hey the gangs all here!

January 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

But will a cease fire come now from both sides?

January 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  39. holly, overland park , ks

evening bloggers and hiya AC! glad to see Candy and the Gerge back, now i know who can make some sense out of todays politics.
    Its going to take a force way beyond any human to sort out Gaza.

January 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Hannah Marner

Evening, all! Sounds like an interesting evening. It will be nice to have everyone back tonight.

Ah, Anderson. I have to love your odd punctuation. Even though the stickler in me laughs at it every time! 😉

January 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Maureen T

Good evening Anderson...My heart breaks for those young children! Let there be peace soon!

January 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  42. MaryBeth

Well, Anderson, let's hope this ceasefire goes through and works. It would be great if the conflict could be solved by something more permanent than a ceasefire...

As for the stimulus plan...how is Obama going to get it through Congress? All these Dems who supported him are now opposing him. Too bad he can't force it through like FDR did during the Depression.

January 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Vanessa, El Paso,TX

hey anderson good evening i saw the breaking news last night so sad about that

January 8, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Donna-Montreal Canada

Hello everyone

January 8, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Lori from IL

Hi Anderson, Erica and Fellow Bloggers!

Sad news on the war opening up on two fronts in Israel.

Yeah, David Gergen is back! I've missed him. Hope he was on a well deserved vacation.

Looking forward to tnight's show.

January 8, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I wish I could say good evening all...apparently it's not that kind of a day.

Retirement homes? Schools? A war in any sense is a waste or resources. They never solve any thing. But a war that kills the elderly and children? That's not a war – it's murder.

January 8, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I'm glad Gergen and Crowley are here to give their treasured two cents worth.

January 8, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. CurtisJo

Good evening Bloggers!

January 8, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. anderson cooper

oh yeah, and David Gergen is back! And Candy Crowley is back from a well deserved break this week as well!

January 8, 2009 at 9:59 pm |
  50. anderson cooper

good evening everyone... breaking news out of the un tonite... and a very dangerous day in gaza.. we'll focus on that tonite.. as well as the stimulus plan Obama talked about today... should be a good broadcast tonite.. let us know what you think.

January 8, 2009 at 9:58 pm |