January 8th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/8/09

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Pati Mc

@ Mike, Syracuse – I agree with your list, loved Cronkite; but I would add Anderson to it as well.

January 8, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Maureen T

Thanks for another interesting show Andy! Good night and rest easy! See ya!

January 8, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Bonnie

Kathy is so funny–I love her Mom too.

January 8, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Thursday's Shot! Kathy's family is in hiding from the unscripted moments? I guess they hide out quite often..Gotta love her..I toast her with a glass of boxed vino..Night all

January 8, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  5. EJ (USA)

Tom Cruise is 46.

By the way, what has Kathy Griffin done with her hair since New Year's Eve? I really liked it on New Year's Eve. : ) She's a trip.

January 8, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Candace from Canada

Anderson & Erica – you two are great!

Its been a great evening!

Lets hope the world calms down a bit overnight.

Take Care Everyone!
    😉 cam_canada

January 8, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Enough Kathy Griffin!

Good night Anderson, Erica, David, and bloggers! Welcome back Mr. Gergen...its so great to have you back with us!

Another great show! Reiterating that CNN really is the best news channel around! Thanks guys! Have a great night!

January 8, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Haha, I loved the exchange with Griffin. She wouldn't be Kathy if she wasn't blunt. And that guy in the crowd deserved it.

The New Year's Eve show rocked...and a box of wine and AC360 sounds phenomenal. Haha.

Good night all. Still glad you are all back...just hoping for Nic Robertson's safety now!

January 8, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Ken in NC

Great show tonight Anderson and Erica. Good night and see all you Bloggers tomorrow night. Maybe Palin will be gone by then.

January 8, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, David G, and best bloggers!!!!
    Have a great night and Sleep tight!!!!
    See you tomorrow night!!!!
    Day of the shot with Kathy Griffin and Anderson on HNYE party....... so cute gal Kathy and so funny Anderson!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!! Kathy was best funny with Jimmy Kimmel!!!!! LOL!!!! that is so funny shot!!! 🙂

January 8, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Pati Mc

Goodnite you guys! Anderson, David, Erica. Rest well.

January 8, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  12. xtina, chicago IL

why do people feel threatened by Sarah Palin's success in Alaska? Wouldn't we WANT someone in Washington who actually gives money back to the taxpayer?

January 8, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  13. Brandi - bottom of the boot

goodnite all.

i love kathy! lol

January 8, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Mike, Syracuse NY

David G. I agree with your comments on Koop. He was one of the few people who could talk and you could believe what he said. Walter Cronkite was another, and you too!

January 8, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  15. CurtisJo

Good Night and thank you 360! (I'm eager to see if our earthquake we just had will hit the national news. My heart rate has finally recovered.)

January 8, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  16. Jen

I think the suggestion from some people has been that Jett had autism, but Scientology does not accept autism as a condition. Does Scientology accept autism? Is there somebody who is not actually a member of the church who could give more objective information and be less motivated to misrepresent things if they might have endangered Jett?

January 8, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  17. Genevieve M, TX

Dr. Gupta is young physician and in the "prime earning years" of his career. If I was Dr. Gupta, I would consider the offer only if I could still continue my practice- otherwise, I think it would be a waste of education.

January 8, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  18. Naissa, South Texas

EJ, I agree with you. It's like he gets better looking with age.

Anyway, goodnight y'all. Take care and have a great day tomorrow.

Godnight Anderson and Erica. 🙂

January 8, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  19. holly, overland park , ks

Goodnight all, thanks for a always great show!

January 8, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  20. Dulcie - Denver

The guy that wants his kidney back: Sounds like Shakespeare. Merchant of Venice perhaps? The guy who wanted his pound of flesh.

Wow. Some divorces are really nasty!

January 8, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  21. Kuala

Goodnight and keep the families of Oscar Grant, III and Robbie Toulan in your prayers. They are really dealing with a lot right now. Take care everyone.

January 8, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Karen

Oh I missed David's comment on the SG choice. Where? Where? (Personally, the griping I hear both on Gupta and Panetta sound like sour grapes, or unease that they aren't "one of the guys" ).

January 8, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  23. MaryBeth

Why are they saying Scientology doesn't believe in medication? Jett was on anti-seizure meds for several years. This whole "no medicine' thing is crap.

January 8, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  24. EJ (USA)

Like him or hate him, but Tom Cruise still is one of the most attractive men on the planet! He’s nearly 50.

Oh really? I thought he was more 45ish. I guess I need to do some googling.

January 8, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  25. Maureen T

As a parent I cannot imagine how the Travoltas feel! Tom Cruise was very low key on the View and that's the best way for this matter to play out. Again I truly hope the Travoltas are given their space to mourn in private!

January 8, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  26. Deena

I feel badly that there is so much media attention around the Travolta tragedy and loss. Pricilla Presley made a point that when families lose someone they need space to mourn their loss. I hope CNN respects that need. dg

January 8, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  27. Em

Good to have you back Mr Gergen. I agree with you 100% on Dr Gupta. The only SG I remember growing up is C Everett Koop. He was SG as I began college and did a fantastic job commuicating with us and informing us about the AIDS epidemic. In fact, he is probably the only SG I would recognize on sight. I think Sanjay would be an outstanding communicator and interact well with our youth. The best gift we can give our children is a healthy lifestyle. Good Luck Sanjay!

January 8, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Good night Anderson and Erica. I have no desire to see Griffin again.

January 8, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  29. Brandi - bottom of the boot

k, ill give tom cruise kudos for that response, he was obviously at a loss for words and felt very badly for his friends.

January 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  30. Jacqueline, NY

Goodnight, Anderson-boo! 🙂 Glad you're back home safe and sound. Goodnight All!

January 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  31. L Griffiths Australia

The man wants his kidney back from the wife that he's now divorcing – how many words are there for spiteful?

January 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  32. Candace from Canada

Heartfelt Sympathy and Condolences to the Travolta Family.
    This is a terrible tragedy for any family, made even harder under the media glare.

God Bless....

January 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  33. EJ (USA)

I like Tom Cruise, despite the fact that half the population doesn’t.

I think he still looks very good. A little bit thinner but still very nice looking.

January 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  34. Jana, Indiana

Can't handle any more of Kathy Griffin.

Good night Anderson and all bloggers.

January 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  35. Minou, New York City

Like him or hate him, but Tom Cruise still is one of the most attractive men on the planet! He's nearly 50.

January 8, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am sorry for the Travolta's loss, but why is the media continuing to cover this story ad nauseam? Give the family some peace.

January 8, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  37. Margie

Sarah sounds very bitter with each passing day...enough of the Palins – give them and especially us some peace!

January 8, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  38. Naissa, South Texas

I like Tom Cruise, despite the fact that half the population doesn't.

January 8, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  39. EJ (USA)

Just to clarify my position on the Travoltas – I don't think its realistic to expect the media to 'not' cover the story. I think the Travoltas have received more prayers and condolences than negative stories. Either way – I think famous people are going to be covered throughout their triumphs and tragedies. Whether or not that is right – is up to each individual to decide.

January 8, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  40. Jeff

He want's his kidney back because his wife cheated on him, tell the whole story!

January 8, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  41. Imani from Maryland

Somaria I agree in some ways but they are just trying to push the police into a trial and justice,

January 8, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  42. Matt M

Why did you even bother with reporting on Palin – same old stuff... noth'in

January 8, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

both captions were great!

and the animals are adorable.
    I agree!!!! brandi!!!!!

January 8, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  44. Teresa, OH

@ Ryan Wraight: January 8th, 2009 10:46 pm ET

"Wow how did america almos vote in a crazy women"....

Dwight D. Eisenhower said: "any man who wants to be president is either an egomaniac or CRAZY."

We vote the crazies in all the time ; )

January 8, 2009 at 10:50 pm |