January 7th, 2009

Priority Check: Football, or Making Barack Obama President?

Inauguration preparations at the Capitol began before the Thanksgiving holiday.

Inauguration preparations at the Capitol began before the Thanksgiving holiday.

Tom Ziller
The Sporting Blog

Like many warm-blooded Americans, Cliff Stearns wants to watch Thursday's BCS Championship without work getting in the way. His job? Congressman. Hence the problem: Congress has a lot of, um, work to do to, um, fix the country. And Thursday, about the time Florida and Oklahoma kick off, Congress will be taking up a fairly important task: certifying the results of the electoral college to make Barack Obama president.

The Associated Press reports Rep. Stearns - who represents the Gainesville area - asked Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi to reschedule the certification vote and others scheduled for the later part of Thursday and Friday.

Read More...

1. Vee Nix

Tammy, Berwick. LA Get a life! Football is just what it is a game!

January 8, 2009 at 7:52 am |
  2. Albert

and this is what's wrong with the US of A!
    get your priority right!

January 8, 2009 at 5:25 am |
  3. Karen Bradshaw

I think most people and commentators are right! There will enough press and fans at the BCS National Championship game, and I hope Big 12 Oklahoma wins!
    Karen in Kansas - Kansas University - 2008 men's b-ball champions!!

January 8, 2009 at 12:30 am |
  4. Brian Langley

Making Barack Obama presidentis high on my list for 2009,his personality along with determantion to change this great country.As Americans we should embrace President elect Obama's plans,and do everything we can to help change the face of America.I'm a strong beleiver that there is not nearly enough of one thing together we can make anything possiable.It's about taking the good with the bad with are president elect Barack Obama,try to keep our frustrations on winding roads limited.Personally would love to see more jobs,tax breaks,and more nurses in heath care.Lets all try to make a huge diffrence one day at a time in 2009.

January 7, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  5. Annie Kate

I'm sure the football game would be more interesting – especially since its Southeastern conference football. I graduated from Tennessee which did horribly this year but if I had to pick which to spend my time with I'd go with the football. Since TN isn't playing I hope Florida wins!!

January 7, 2009 at 9:28 pm |
  6. Jim M

Will Nancy Pelosi reach across the aisle to the staunch conservative Republican from Florida, I hope not. Go Oklahoma!

January 7, 2009 at 7:53 pm |
  7. Tammy, Berwick. LA

As an alum of a Southeastern Conference school (Mississippi State) and diehard LSU fan (when they don't play State), I can understand the need to watch Florida play for the national championship. Football is religion in the SEC. It trumps about everything. Sorry if you don't get it. Maybe you should be from the South and an alum from the SEC. One day won't destroy anything. I wonder. If it had to do with verifying a McCain/Palin victory, would the outcry be just as whiney? Honestly, I doubt it.

January 7, 2009 at 7:47 pm |